Help With Anti-Goblin!

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
Was wondering if anyone can help me build a budget ($30) anti-goblin deck. My friends goblin deck's basic strategy is to us Krenko, Mob Boss to exponentially multiply his goblins, use other goblins for pump (counters, haste, etc) and sorceries for pump as well. Its mono red. I need board sweepers, removal, and counters in case he tries to interrupt
illness in the ranks imediately jumps to mind, and um...engineered plague and hissing miasma also come to mind
Pithing Needle naming Krenko shuts down his exponential plan.

Tribal hosers like Extinction also work well.  And of course Wrath of God is always a good stand by.

$30 might be bit of a stretch for a solid deck, without knowing exactly what we'd be trying to counter. And even then, it'd probably fold to any non-Goblin/Tribal deck.
My Decks
Standard: BR Aggro Burn RDW Modern: Dragon Stompy Burn Fae Tempo Zoo Cherrios Legacy: Zoo Dragon Stompy Pauper: Slivers Landfall EDH: Sliver Overlord
1000th post on 2-1-10. 5000th post on 1-21-13.
Looks like black is the way to go. That's ok if it folds to other decks, I'm just irritated losing to this one xD at best I get a tie.I included as much info on it as I could, don't remember the other cards he has by name. I know its standard legal so any goblin/ goblin boost in current standard is most likely in there. Willing to bump it to 50 and could just consider it anti-tribal. Any thoughts on an actual decklist? Not particularly good at making my own ( ._.)
so how many of these cards look familiar? see if they jog the memory
If you're gonna go the route of anything that costs 4 or more in black, make sure you play Dark Rituals. Krenkos game is often over by the time you have mana to cast a Damnation or Extinction.

You can also go the Propaganda Route, or the new white version, or Ghostly Prison is probably better.

A shell running Ghostly Prison, Rite of Flame (gets prison out turn 2), and Pyroclasm would be a good place to start. Depending on how fast the goblins are, the pyroclasm might not be effective past turn 3ish, so carry lots of other removal/burn.
[C]Goblin Battle Jester[/c] and Krenko's Command only unfortunately
I think could be the way to go for this. 

:B: gives you Night of Souls' Betrayal, Engineered Plague and even just general sweepers like Mutilate or Echoing Decay (which ultra-murders all those goblin tokens since they're all named "goblin")

:W: gives you Ghostly Prison, Suppression Field, and Rule of Law

I think an old Ghost Dad style deck could be good.  Castigate, and Duress can help with early control, and Grave Pact, Mortify and a bunch of good "when this dies" effects like Black Cat or something can help you control the game.  Maybe run something like Nether traitor that can come back easily when it dies, and/or some undying/persist creatures.
Was wondering if anyone can help me build a budget ($30) anti-goblin deck. My friends goblin deck's basic strategy is to us Krenko, Mob Boss to exponentially multiply his goblins, use other goblins for pump (counters, haste, etc) and sorceries for pump as well. Its mono red. I need board sweepers, removal, and counters in case he tries to interrupt

control magic

not quite as effective as some of the more specific cards listed, but it will be more adaptable to non goblin decks.

Of course, one of my favorite combos pops to mind.

Either...

charisma
prodigal sorcerer

or

charisma
horseshoe crab
psionic gift

And I use sage owl to help get the cards needed for the combos

control magic

not quite as effective as some of the more specific cards listed, but it will be more adaptable to non goblin decks.

Of course, one of my favorite combos pops to mind.

Either...

charisma
prodigal sorcerer

or

charisma
horseshoe crab
psionic gift

And I use sage owl to help get the cards needed for the combos

Then you get the joy of not only beating them, but using their own deck strengths to do it.
Night of Souls and Ghostly Prison look good. I'm playing him again tomorrow so i'll to try make a surreptitious note of what he plays to make a more accurate list
Night of Souls and Ghostly Prison look good. I'm playing him again tomorrow so i'll to try make a surreptitious note of what he plays to make a more accurate list

best of luck.
Tivadar's Crusade

I wish that worked better, but against a proper Krenko deck, it's not so useful, except maybe later on if you survive. Up to the point of the 1st Krenko event happening, the only goblin you have to worry about is the haster. Still not a bad deal for 3 mana, but would be oh-so-much-cooler if it were an instant.
Echoing Truth?  On an Isochron Scepter?

Which lands you in Blue, the color of Essence Scatter and Blue Elemental Blast... and Desertion, if you have one available.

Cheers!
A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
Lets back this train up a bit if I may. If goblins are over running your deck...what IS your deck? What type of cards are you playing? What's it's style? The answer may simply be you need a more focused build on your current deck with a sideboard to shore up your weak matches, such as aggro.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/12.jpg)

Lets back this train up a bit if I may. If goblins are over running your deck...what IS your deck? What type of cards are you playing? What's it's style? The answer may simply be you need a more focused build on your current deck with a sideboard to shore up your weak matches, such as aggro.

I run a G/W token, B/R/G Eldrazi Ramp, B Vampire, U Mill, and G/U Infect. Only the infect is competitive. The rest are too slow, I pretty much need to remake them from scratch since they're not competitive against anyone in my playgroup
does the Infect have any proliferate in it?  something like Blowfly Infestation could really improve your game against something that swarms with 1/1s
If you decided to use black I would recommend my favourite card: Black Sun's Zenith. If he doesn't have counterspells, he won't be able to do anything to stop you.
Token, eldrazi ramp, and vamps should all be capable of beating a goblin aggro deck using krenko. Would you like to maybe show is your favorite of those 3 and we can simply tweak it to run better? That way you have a great deck to face off all your buddies decks, rather than a super narrow "my deck beats your one deck...but dies to everything else" -cuz that is lame

Token, eldrazi ramp, and vamps should all be capable of beating a goblin aggro deck using krenko. Would you like to maybe show is your favorite of those 3 and we can simply tweak it to run better? That way you have a great deck to face off all your buddies decks, rather than a super narrow "my deck beats your one deck...but dies to everything else" -cuz that is lame

I'm looking to make 2 decks, casual Vamp and casual Zombie.

Willing to go $50 budget for each deck. For the vamp I'd like to keep it mono-black if possible, first deck I built myself and have a fondness for it haha. My favorite would definitely be the Vamp deck, then Eldrazi, then token.
Conversion, silver knight are good and there is Tivadar of thorn

Best beat though is to look at an archetype that is more competitive...
From your decklists, I am wondering if you have issues making your first six land drops?  If so, you might want to up your land count; from experience, Cloudpost works best as 8 or 12 post - 4 of each Locus and 4 Vesuva, although I guess Thespian's Stage could work, as well.

Consistency within your decks would help, as well.  Try to get 3-4 copies of the key cards, rather than all of the 1-2 copies (except Kozilek - you only need one of him), as this will enhance your games. 

Cheers!

A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
The eldrazi ramp deck needs a few things to function well.

1. A non-basic land mana base. It's 3 colors...pretty much auto-equals major budget (my grixis control deck - - cost like....250 bucks). The reason is you need a lot of dual and tri colored lands, which aren't cheap, to ensure you have proper access to all your colors.

2. The best way to cheat fatties out with newer cards (modern legal and up) happen to be both in red and green, and you have neither- summoning trap and through the breach. Your whole goal should be mana ramp into a T3 emrakul, the aeons torn off the back of a Breach. That's pretty much GG to MANY decks. No Emmy is ok, any of the eldrazi with at least annihilator 3 or higher is good.

3. Some good ramp engines. birds of paradise, llanowar elves, and farseek are all good starting places.

The game should look like this optimally for you:
T1. Land, birds
T2:land, llanowar
T3:land, tap out for through the breach casting emrakul, the aeons torn.

...GG? *shake hands*

That should be able to beat krenko. You can cut black from the list, make it 2 colors, and with BOP and farseek, run it off basic land, saving your budget for the cheat cards and Emmy

Vamp deck and zombies:
Same basic advice for both-they are fast aggro decks. You want to curve out at like 4 mana for your biggest hitters, MAYBE like 3-4 cards higher than that. Rest should be dig ( sign in blood ) and some light removal ( dismember ). Get 4x your important cards, and just swing for the fences.

The game should look like this optimally for you: T1. Land, birds T2:land, llanowar T3:land, tap out for through the breach casting emrakul, the aeons torn. ...GG? *shake hands* That should be able to beat krenko.

My only issue with this is what Goblin deck is going to let a BoP and mana dork sit there? They gonna get blowed up. I bet it's game over before you can drop that Breach.

I'd like to see a whole list so I can get someone to play it against me to see how it'd go if you've got one JNP.
Then the gob deck has to waste it's already low mana resources on the first two turns with removal rather than setting up their board position. This allows you to build up mana to either hardcast or play your own bolts or sweeps like pyroclasm in response to their aggression.

If they play gobs, then wait to play removal, you have established a foothold, and can again tap out in response to removal in order to play your own removal or protection peices like ranger's guile.

The point is you always have options, where as a gob aggro deck has very few.

A quick list looks like this:

4x birds of paradise
4x arbor elf
4x llanowar elves
4x farseek
4x rampant growth
4x ulamog, the infinite gyre
4x emrakul, the aeons torn

4x faithless looting
4x farseek
4x rampant growth
4x through the breach
4x summoning trap

20x land

Land could be a bit low, but tons of accelerators. Loot away what you don't need until you dig into what you do. Sideboard out some ramp elements for protection spells and play slower vs heavy removal decks. Primarily build should be all about combo'ing out ASAP. G2/3 make swaps as needed.

Ok looks like a small conflict on what color use and land use. But overall looks like fixing the eldrazi deck is what everyone agrees on so i'll work on that on. Jnp's list looks good but can use some finalization and sideboard ideas no? Still conflicted on using posts+vesuvians vs mana dorks. With so many posts and fewer vesuvians, wouldnt getting color mana for removal and sweeps be less likely?
the reason i went with mana dorks is because 12 post is illegal in modern format. the rest of the list of course is up for tweaking, but the idea, i think, is sound

Alright, i'll put together that list and playtest to see what feels like it needs tweeking
Sign In to post comments