A Card That Tickled My Fancy: Amalgam Vat

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Amalgam Vat-
Artifact
: Exile target creature you control.
, : Choose a power, a toughness, a creature type, and a text box from among cards exiled by Amalgam Vat. Put a Mutant creature token into play with those values.
The Collective will answer any question except "Why?"

SCIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEENCCCCCCCCCCCCCE!

< Desolation Farmer

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

I exile Grizzly Bears and Nightmare

I choose "2", "2", "Bear" (noly one creautre type, that is hardly an amalgram), and "Flying. Mutant's power and toughness are each equal to the number of Swamps you control."

So, what P/T is my Mutant? Because you just applied 2 different P/T setters at the same time.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!

I choose "2", "2", "Bear" (noly one creautre type, that is hardly an amalgram), and "Flying. Mutant's power and toughness are each equal to the number of Swamps you control."

So, what P/T is my Mutant? Because you just applied 2 different P/T setters at the same time.

The static ability overwrites the default power and toughness.

as CL points out, you didn't choose two different P/T setters, you chose a power, a toughness, and an ability that overrides that power and toughness.

as CL points out, you didn't choose two different P/T setters, you chose a power, a toughness, and an ability that overrides that power and toughness.

Layers.

What if I do the opposite and pick Nightmare's P/T and Grizzly Bears' text box?

Cool idea, by the way. 

What if I do the opposite and pick Nightmare's P/T and Grizzly Bears' text box?

Cool idea, by the way. 

I believe the game tracks P/T-setting abilities at all times, so I think what you'd get would be a token with power and toughness equal to the number of swamps you control as the ability resolves. I may be wrong, though, in which case Nightmare's P/T while not in play is 0/0.

I exile Little Girl and B.F.M. (Big Furry Monster)

Power 0.5, toughness 99. Creature type "The Biggest, Baddest, Nastiest, Scariest Creature You'll Ever See" and Little Girl's text box.

WHAT NOW
I exile Little Girl and B.F.M. (Big Furry Monster)

Power 0.5, toughness 99. Creature type "The Biggest, Baddest, Nastiest, Scariest Creature You'll Ever See" and Little Girl's text box.

WHAT NOW

I'm pretty sure that you have to choose power & toughness together as one choice. Now if you could find an Un card with just power or toughness...Edit- I was wrong about this.
Also I have to wonder if you would get the full type line from both of BFM's halves or if it would just be a "... Scariest Creature You'll Ever See".
As for what happens? You get a really funny creature.
Amazing things start to happen when you animate noncreatures and exile them. Bolas the bear sculptor
What happens if I exile a flip creature or one that transforms?
or Gideon?
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
I would use this card to make a 15/15 token with Trostani, Selesnya's Voice's abilities. Then I would tap it every turn to make more of these crazy Lammasu tokens. After a while I would just start producing straight Emrakul clones to make use of that Annihalator ability. Hehehhe.

Getting back to the card at hand I think that you should only get to have one type of token produced by the vat out at one time. vIt's just too confusng otherwise. You could be subtle about it though. For instance the vat doesn't untap as until its token leaves the battlefield or the token is legendary, or even you have to unattatch the cards from the vat after you reference them (but then you should require a minimum number of attatched cards to keep it from just being a one shot Mimic Vat).
an experiment must be repeatable
Amazing things start to happen when you animate noncreatures and exile them. Bolas the bear sculptor

That would be easily solved though by making the token producing ability specifically take the values from attatched "creature cards". Either way it would stop being a creature was it was exiled right? I think that means you couldn't choose Darksteel Relic's power or toughness since once it's not a creature it doesn't have one to choose. If only March of the Machines effected exiled cards...
Of course nothing on the card stops you from taking Darksteel Relic's text box as one of your chosen values.

That would be easily solved though by making the token producing ability specifically take the values from attatched "creature cards". Either way it would stop being a creature was it was exiled right? I think that means you couldn't choose Darksteel Relic's power or toughness since once it's not a creature it doesn't have one to choose. If only March of the Machines effected exiled cards...
Of course nothing on the card stops you from taking Darksteel Relic's text box as one of your chosen values.

If you're choosing a noncreature card from exile, the only options are the text box. Shouldn't break the game or anything, but can be very fun.
I can finally merge Nicol Bolas with Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker into one cohesive whole! Or maybe Gideon's Avenger will emulate his mentor (and finally be able to avenge him) once I kill kill them both off for vat fodder.
Or wait for it... Eldrazi walkers! Combine Bolas and Emrakul to produce the most powerful villain in all MTG.
What happens if I exile a flip creature or one that transforms?

same thing that would happen if you revealed one to sapling of colfenor. you use its default face's values.

or Gideon?

the rules can handle non-planeswalkers with loyalty abilities now.

If you're choosing a noncreature card from exile, the only options are the text box. Shouldn't break the game or anything, but can be very fun.

I may be misremembering the nature of linked abilities, but I believe as worded, I could use a mizzium transreliquat to copy a panoptic mirror, exile time warp, then turn it into this, exile a grizzly bears, then make myself a 2/2 Bear Mutant with "Target player takes an extra turn after this one."

so this card would force the game to define what happens if a permanent has a spell's ability (best solution: nothing.) but I'm okay with that.

nope
607.2a If an object has an activated or triggered ability printed on it that instructs a player to exile one or more cards and an ability printed on it that refers either to "the exiled cards" or to cards "exiled with [this object]," these abilities are linked. The second ability refers only to cards in the exile zone that were put there as a result of an instruction to exile them in the first ability.

Sign In to post comments