Bloodchief Ascension/Duskmantle Guildmage + Mindcrank

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
I just want to make sure I understand how this combo really works exactly so I can explain it to friends in game properly. I know that it ultimately decks and drains opponent's life for the win, but I want to know precisely the pattern/stack use this combo uses.

Assume Bloodchief Ascension is already active for example's sake with Mindcrank out. Some effect causes an/each opponent to either loose life/mill card(s) to start the loop, what happens? what does stack look like? does priority go around for someone to respond to one trigger detroying the other piece to stop the loop?

Any difference with Duskmantle Guildmage in the picture instead of an active Bloodchief Ascension?

If I add Memory Erosion to the combo to "protect" the combo pieces from cast removal, now what happens?
I asked this a few weeks ago but not about duskmantle, basicly from what i understand, unless they have some way of instantly destroy the enchanment or artifact or prevent the damage to them somehow then it will start a loop which will just have you win, for instance

your opponent loses 2 life,
if they dont stop the damage >
mindcrank activates and is put on the stack,
stack resolves and player puts cards in the graveyard >
bloodchief activates and is put on the stack,
stack resolves and damage is done.. return to top and start again untill your oponent is dead or milled.

so the only way to stop it is either stop the damage from trigering it, for instance maybe a safe passage played ontop of the bloodchiefs stack then no damage will be done from bloodchief and mindcrank wont activate, or naturalize either of the cards before you take any damage or while one is on the stack, and then it wont be there to activate.
There is opportunity to interupt the combo, yes. Triggers can be responded to.

When your opponent loses life, it triggers Mindcrank. That trigger is put on the stack, then all players get a chance to respond. If no one does, the trigger resolves. Which triggers the Ascension multiple times. The resolving trigger is removed from the stack and the new ones are added to the top of the stack. Again, opportunity to respond, if no one does, the topmost trigger resolves, making the opponent lose 2 life and triggering Mindcrank again. That trigger is put on top of the others. Opportunity to respond, if no one does, it resolves, milling for 2 and triggering Ascension twice again. Those triggers are put on the stack, then opportunity to respond ...

The only difference with Guildmage is, that its ability makes the opponent lose only 1 life, causing just 1 card to be milled. Thus the stack will not grow like with Ascension. But ultimately, in both cases the top most object will alternate causing the oponent to lose life or mill cards. The other triggers aren't likely to resolve as the game is probably going to end due to your opponent having 0 or less life.

Memory Erosion will just start the process above any spell response your opponent might want to use. Activated and triggered abilities could still stop the combo, though.
so the only way to stop it is either stop the damage from trigering it, for instance maybe a safe passage played ontop of the bloodchiefs stack then no damage will be done from bloodchief and mindcrank wont activate, or naturalize either of the cards before you take any damage or while one is on the stack, and then it wont be there to activate.

Neither Ascension nor Guildmage deal damage, so Safe Passage is useless here.
I just want to make sure I understand how this combo really works exactly so I can explain it to friends in game properly. I know that it ultimately decks and drains opponent's life for the win, but I want to know precisely the pattern/stack use this combo uses.

Assume Bloodchief Ascension is already active for example's sake with Mindcrank out. Some effect causes an/each opponent to either loose life/mill card(s) to start the loop, what happens? what does stack look like? does priority go around for someone to respond to one trigger detroying the other piece to stop the loop?

Before the top of the stack resolves, both players must pass priority in succession.

If you have Bloodchief Ascension with three or more quest counters on it and Mindcrank out then if any opponent loses life or has a card go to his or her graveyard from anywhere then they will most likely die if they have half as many cards in his or her library as they have life.

If you manage to make your opponent lose one life somehow then Mindcrank triggers.

---top of stack---
that player puts that many cards from the top of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
---bottom of stack---

The top of the stack resolves and that player puts the top card of his or her library into his or her graveyard and Bloodchief Ascension triggers.

---top of stack---
you may have that player lose 2 life. If you do, you gain 2 life.
---bottom of stack---

The top of the stack resolves and that player loses 2 life and you gain 2 life and Mindcrank triggers.

---top of stack---
that player puts that many cards from the top of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
---bottom of stack---

The top of the stack resolves and that player puts the top two cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard and then Bloodchief Ascension triggers twice.

---top of stack---
---bottom of stack---

The top of the stack resolves and that player loses 2 life and you gain 2 life and Mindcrank triggers.

---top of stack---
---bottom of stack---

The top of the stack resolves and that player puts the top two cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard and then Bloodchief Ascension triggers twice.

---top of stack---
---bottom of stack---

etc.

Any difference with Duskmantle Guildmage in the picture instead of an active Bloodchief Ascension?

If I add Memory Erosion to the combo to "protect" the combo pieces from cast removal, now what happens?

You won't gain life and they lose only 1 life.

You have a Bloodchief Ascension with three or more quest counters on it, a Mindcrank, and a Memory Erosion out.  They will still die before the removal resolves.

Your opponent casts Disenchant and Memory Erosion triggers and that trigger gets placed on top of the stack.

---top of stack---
that player puts the top two cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
Disenchant
---bottom of stack---

The top of the stack resolves and that player puts the top two cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard and Bloodchief Ascension triggers twice.

---top of stack---
Disenchant
---bottom of stack---

Questions like "this this a good combo?" or "what other cards go with this combo?" are for Cards and Combos.

Questions like "how does this combo work?" or "does this combo work?" are for Rules Q&A.

Rules Q&A would gain you the fastest response to a rules question.
All rules questions belong in Rules Q&A.

Moving to Rules Q&A. 

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert