1/31/2013 PR: "In with the New!"

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Perilous Research, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.

I hope there's still a format for you to gather data on in a month. I fear it will be two weeks of Post mirrors, followed by the last Pauper daily event ever to fire.
This thread is for discussion of this week's www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...>www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a..." title="www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...>www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...">Perilous Research, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.

As far as Pauper goes, I'm happily impressed that the writer outlined the very strategies that we expect to become dominant with a dearth of storm (with the exception of familiar/simic storm, which has been an outlier until now).  Hopefully this means they are and will continue watching the format/forums, and will take further action if certain decks now dominate the meta (here's looking at you, post/blue/temp-storm players!  XD)

Pauper Predictions/Suggestions:
1.  Ban Glimmerpost (cloudpost will rule).
2.  Ban one or more key MonoBlue cards - Delver/fairies/counterspell.  (MonoBlue will rule along with post)
3. (Mere possibilites) - Unban ETW and Invigorate, maaaybe ban Ghostly Flicker (A ridiculous powercard for simic/familiar-storm as well as post players).
On Gatecrash Limited: "the Dimir cards don't synergize especially well with extort"? Cipher is fantastic with extort. I think JvL must not be aware that cipher cards are cast without paying their mana cost, which is awesome when you have extorters sitting around waiting for a spell to trigger off, especially cheap or free ones so that you can have enough mana to pay all the extort triggers.

Midnight Recovery can run out of targets, but Shadow Slice and Mental Vapors would be awesome on an Orzhov flyer like Kingpin's Pet or Assault Griffin. Of course, those don't need any splashing at all; but a blue splash for Voidwalk, Call of the Nightwing, Hands of Binding or Last Thoughts looks very strong with extort to me.
Well, I was planning on drafting simic anyway whenver the chance arose because of how much I loved it in the prerelease so this is nothing but good news for me.

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

2.  Ban one or more key MonoBlue cards - Delver/fairies/counterspell.  (MonoBlue will rule along with post)
3. (Mere possibilites) - Unban ETW and Invigorate, maaaybe ban Ghostly Flicker (A ridiculous powercard for simic/familiar-storm as well as post players).

No mention of Affinity?
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
Also, Gift of Orzhova may be a reasonable card in the Orzhov deck, but the card dramatically increases in value when it's played in the Boros deck.

I don't know. I want to say that this enchantment is amazing in any deck that can play it. However, there was talk the other day that the removal is strong enough that Auras aren't great. Maybe Sealed set a bad example, but I didn't see the removal as super-threatening in this sense when concerned with such game-changing Auras like this and MSkills.

The deck can be a trap in Limited, as both Simic and Orzhov do not synergize well with the guild of secrets.

I think you have to focus with Simic, find a central goal. I agree they can step on each others' toes. However, if you center in one and splash for the other, I think you get good results. A Simic base would provide large creatures which would be very reluctant for an opponent to block; or you make them "unblockable" and just win; or great removal pushes Simic over the edge of awesome as fatties come tumbling in through the wreckage.

If Dimir is the base, then adding Simic takes away the evolve focus (although the EKrasis and CRaptor are of course welcome.), but Simic can add fixing, raw mana, it can add card-draw, it can add beef and trample, it can add defense to a defense-less strategy, and advantage on top of advantage can lead to always having tons of options to dismantle the opponent.

Simic decks have inevitability with large creatures but they're put into a racing situation against almost every other guild.

I have to address this in order to support my last statement. Again, maybe Sealed is misleading, but Simic has amazing defenses. People say Orzhov has the tag for defense, but I haven't seen it. What I have seen is walls, a flood of creatures that I could do nothing about to get through, as they were just so densely packed, and slowly getting better and better-- ultimately one becomes too tough to handle, and handles me. 

I don't understand why they would race anything-- they stopped me multiple times dead in my tracks, and I was Gruul with Bloodrush and Simic for flying and everything. It's hard to get through dedicated Simic. The only race they have is the race to stay alive before they become an impenetrable fortress.
I hope there's still a format for you to gather data on in a month. I fear it will be two weeks of Post mirrors, followed by the last Pauper daily event ever to fire.

I'm a bit afraid of that too, but I'm also finding that freeing up the SB slots my MBC used to use to have half a chance against Storm allows me to load up on LD and Shinobis.

Whether it's a consistently good enough plan to beat Post frequently or not I don't know, though...
Be sure to use Boros as your escape hatch for a splash color if you're having trouble picking up enough Orzhov cards; the Dimir cards don't synergize especially well with extort.

But Cipher lets you cast the spell for free each turn, which lets you Extort it, and for more because it was a free cast...

Splashing blue for Hands of Binding and then Extorting it every turn...
This thread is for discussion of this week's www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a..." title="www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...>www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...">Perilous Research, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.

As far as Pauper goes, I'm happily impressed that the writer outlined the very strategies that we expect to become dominant with a dearth of storm (with the exception of familiar/simic storm, which has been an outlier until now).  Hopefully this means they are and will continue watching the format/forums, and will take further action if certain decks now dominate the meta (here's looking at you, post/blue/temp-storm players!  XD)

Cloudpost WILL rule.  However, Cloudpost has a very poor match against burn like most blue based control decks, but even more so because it is slower to develop.  Burn becomes prevalent.  BLINK comes back because it trumps burn.  Here's hoping lol.