Does falling count as movement?

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
My character has a safewing amulet:  reduce falling damage by 10 feet and always land on your feet.

So:  my character is standing on a 10-foot high ledge, 2 squares away from the edge.  He has a movement of 6.

Can he move 2 squares, fall, then move the other 4 squares as part of the same move action?   Or does falling automatically halt movement, even if no damage is taken?
Can he move 2 squares, fall, then move the other 4 squares as part of the same move action?

I don't see why not. The only time I see the rules specifying that your move ends from the fall is when long jumping (PHB p.182) "If you end up over a pit or a chasm, you fall and lose the rest of your move action."
Nothing says you can't continue moving after you fall so you should be able to if you still can.
Thanks to both.
It's a weird quirk of the falling rules done for simplification, but falling is effectively instantaneous, unless you're falling more than 500 feet.  Then you only fall 500 feet on the first turn of falling (whether its your turn or someone else's). If you're still falling at the start of your next turn, you get your normal actions, and if none of your actions stop the fall, you fall another 500 feet at the end of your turn, repeat as needed.

To clarify the answer to the original question:

First, I assume when you say you are 2 squares away from the ledge, that you are in the square that is adjacent to "the square that has the ledge as one of its sides"... correct?

You would spend 1 movement point to move into the square that has the ledge. You would then spend 1 point to move into the square "over the ledge" thus making you fall 10 feet. Because of your amulet, your 10 foot fall causes no damage, and you land on your feet, with 4 movement points remaining.

If you did not have the amulet, you would instead use the hop down ability described in the Acrobatics section in the Compendium. If you succeed on the DC15 skill check, you hop down the 10 feet, land on your feet, and still have 4 movement points remaining. If you fail your skill check, you are then instead falling the 10 feet, causing you to land prone and take 1d10 damage due to the fall. Of course, you can also make an Acrobatics check as you fall, to reduce the damage you take when you hit the ground, and if you end up taking no damage, you actually land on your feet anyways, with 4 movement points remaining.

First, I assume when you say you are 2 squares away from the ledge, that you are in the square that is adjacent to "the square that has the ledge as one of its sides"... correct?

You would spend 1 movement point to move into the square that has the ledge. You would then spend 1 point to move into the square "over the ledge" thus making you fall 10 feet. Because of your amulet, your 10 foot fall causes no damage, and you land on your feet, with 4 movement points remaining.

If you did not have the amulet, you would instead use the hop down ability described in the Acrobatics section in the Compendium. If you succeed on the DC15 skill check, you hop down the 10 feet, land on your feet, and still have 4 movement points remaining. If you fail your skill check, you are then instead falling the 10 feet, causing you to land prone and take 1d10 damage due to the fall. Of course, you can also make an Acrobatics check as you fall, to reduce the damage you take when you hit the ground, and if you end up taking no damage, you actually land on your feet anyways, with 4 movement points remaining.

there's no reason to do thread necromancy.  This thread has been answered and even extrapolated upon.  Please refrain from doing this...
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

there's no reason to do thread necromancy.  This thread has been answered and even extrapolated upon.  Please refrain from doing this...

Sorry new to boards. The original post was only 10 days ago. Is that really thread necromancy??? 

This thread was the closest which came to answering the question I had about falling and counting movement. But it did not cover falling without the amulet. (The title of this thread is "Does falling count as movement?") So I did the additional research myself and added the further extrapolation here, since it seems a logical place for someone else looking for this information to look.

Noctaem, do people here prefer not to have any further discussion on a thread after the original question has been answered?
if you have a new related question or there has been a recent rules change which requires an update, than I don't think people mind a thread being brought back, but when the thread is already effectively "closed" I think its just seen as unnecessary.

We had a few thread last month resurrected from years ago, so its not a serious issue as long as its limited and appropriate.
RisingZan, thanks for explaining. I actually did have a related question, but then answered it on my own and posted the additional information thinking others might have similar question. Didn't realize I would be called out for doing so. I'll refrain from posting on old threads unless it is to ask a related question or answer someone else's question.
RisingZan, thanks for explaining. I actually did have a related question, but then answered it on my own and posted the additional information thinking others might have similar question. Didn't realize I would be called out for doing so. I'll refrain from posting on old threads unless it is to ask a related question or answer someone else's question.

As the OP, I appreciated the added info.   I was not even aware of the 'hop down' rule.

Thank you for that.

peteincary's post, unlike yours, is actually useful.

peteincary's post, unlike yours, is actually useful.

so per your logic all posts that dredge up old threads and someone says please don't do thread necro should have you post there saying it's not useful, you missed a few in that case.  Furthermore if my post asking not to do thread necro was useless, I guess yours is so useless it shouldn't have even been posted.  Oh wait, that's actually true
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

I thought I might revive this thread just for the fun of it. The fact is, I don't live on these boards so a two-week old thread might still be pertinant to me. I thought that Petiancary added relevent points. Gee whiz.... Some of you regulars act like that old geezer that won't allow the neighbor kids to come into the yard to get a baseball.
Sign In to post comments