DLCR: Alms Beast

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
Todays final GTC card to rate is...

Alms Beast

Show

5.0: First pick no matter what.  I will always play this card.
4.5: Splashable and first pick worthy.
4.0: First pick pack 1.
3.5: Early pick though not always a first pick.
3.0: Solid early/mid pick.
2.5: Solid pick in color.
2.0: Should generally make the deck if in this color.
1.5: Decent filler.
1.0: 23rd card if you have to.
0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in.
0.0: I will never put this card into my deck (main deck or after sideboarding).

I'm not sure on this card.  It seems like it's good being a huge body for 4 mana.  But it can be chumped all day and just grants life to the opponent.

I'm gonna hold off rating it for now because I don't know about it yet.

Discuss! 
3.5. This is large but might actually not be as good as it seems (because it seems ridiculous).
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
Reminds me of Desecration Demon, but maybe a bit worse.

I still say A-.
I can go no lower than 3.5 on this.
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
I can go no higher than 3.5 on this.

If you are playing him you are probably also scooping up most of the removal that works best against him in Spectacle, Edict, and Lashes. He either eats a creature per turn or gets in for a huge chunk of damage, either way you are winning if they don't remove him. That sounds pretty bomby to me.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

In honesty, I haven't the foggiest idea.  He looks good, and yet he looks bad at the same time.  Against Gruul, it's probably best to side it out and fast.  Against other guilds, particularly Boros, which lose steam in the late game it could be very good.  Against Simic, not so much as they can play the waiting game very well.  Against Orzhov... well... okay?  You are both durdling around, so it's just a big fat wall.  Dimir has plenty of evasion, so this is probably not going to help much. 

So I'm not sure.  Can't properly rate it, though I think it's in the 2.5-3.5ish range(Closer to 3.5 than 2.5, but not sure where in that range it really lies).  Works against some guilds better than others.

If it were printed in a Core set, or not this specific environment, I'd rate it as high as a 4.  In GTC however this is enough out there with how the guilds function that either makes it just plain bad to play, or generally pointless.  So it's hard to say in the given format, which is where this'll be played.  I'll have to see it in action a bit before I get a good feel.
Without playing the set I'm going to say 4.0 on this. A 6/6 is far ahead of curve, and WB looks like it will get the most removal in the set making it less likely it will be doubleblocked profitably.
I don't see this as being bad against any guild on the play, turn four (that is when you hope to play it).
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
I don't see this as being bad against any guild on the play, turn four (that is when you hope to play it).

The only guild I can forseeably see this being really bad against in enough situations to matter is Gruul. 

With Boros this is a devastating creature to have out.  To Dimir it's problematic, though not necessarily game-breaking.  Against the other two, I can see it being a very good creature to have out.

Not necessarily disagreeing with you, just that I get new-set jitters when looking at cards such as thus.  Normally, it'd be great, but looking at the mechanics of the set I'm not sure it's going to be *as* useful as it normally would.

Now, if this were this upcoming Friday when I draft, and this was P1P1, I'd probably take it unless there is something compelling in the rest of the pack.  It is, as you said, a turn 4 6/6.  Which is just a beater that early. 

However its overall usefulness I'm not entirely certain of.  So I do think it's at worst 3.0 in the set, and am leaning more towards a 3.5.  I can see it also being quite bad in the format, though I do think that's unlikely.  I can also see it being an absolute bomb.  It's one of those cards which I just really want to see in action given how the format appears.

The only guild I can forseeably see this being really bad against in enough situations to matter is Gruul. 

With Boros this is a devastating creature to have out.  To Dimir it's problematic, though not necessarily game-breaking.  Against the other two, I can see it being a very good creature to have out.

Not necessarily disagreeing with you, just that I get new-set jitters when looking at cards such as thus.  Normally, it'd be great, but looking at the mechanics of the set I'm not sure it's going to be *as* useful as it normally would.

Now, if this were this upcoming Friday when I draft, and this was P1P1, I'd probably take it unless there is something compelling in the rest of the pack.  It is, as you said, a turn 4 6/6.  Which is just a beater that early. 

However its overall usefulness I'm not entirely certain of.  So I do think it's at worst 3.0 in the set, and am leaning more towards a 3.5.  I can see it also being quite bad in the format, though I do think that's unlikely.  I can also see it being an absolute bomb.  It's one of those cards which I just really want to see in action given how the format appears.

A frank and honest assessment, I can live with that.

From personal experience, I can say that this guy's impact on the game makes him a 2.5-3.0.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
Though I haven't had the chance to play with or against it, this seems like a certified bomb. They can gain all the life they want because this is a one sided the abyss unless they have immediate removal for it. 4.0
From personal experience, I can say that this guy's impact on the game makes him a 2.5-3.0.

One prerelease doesn't mean you can write this guy off for the rest of us. My friends that used it were wrecking shop with it.

If you get this out on T4, it's going to be trumping most creatures in the format, especially if you've had a decent Orzhov start with a few stallers. If you happen to have a Gift of Orzhova on hand, happy hunting; just getting the one hit with it is probably worth it even if you do get 2-for-1:ed. I saw this happen several times to a guy at my prerelease who went 7-1, and it was absolutely shattering every time it happened. I'm not saying that this combo was what gave him that record or that Alms Beast is the **** because of it. I'm simply saying that it is a very potent combo, as are many other plays together with this card.
He seems to be bad in race/tempo type game where the game's going to end sooner rather than later, because of evasive creatures or something like that.

Then there are game where the life initially doesn't matter a whole lot, but it's all about building up a board presence that can close out the game. I can imagine him being quite good on defence in these type of game, and i assume in Orzhov there will be a decent nummer of games like that.

One prerelease doesn't mean you can write this guy off for the rest of us. My friends that used it were wrecking shop with it.

I have no other sources of information.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
I fully share I-rock and Eyehunter opinions.

It's interesting to note that all the players who did not play with/against it classify it has a bomb (4+) whereas most of the players who did have a chance to play it rate it 3.5 or less.

I did play with it at the prerelease, and the only time it was good, was on Turn 4/5. Orzhov is trying to extort it's opponent and go through the air for the remaining damages. Playing the Alms Beast into a stall board is the garantee to give your opponent 3-4 extra turns, if not more.

I believe UA and others impressions will change over time and we may discuss it differently towards the end of the set.             

It's interesting to note that all the players who did not play with/against it classify it has a bomb (4+) whereas most of the players who did have a chance to play it rate it 3.5 or less.

I did play with it at the prerelease, and the only time it was good, was on Turn 4/5. Orzhov is trying to extort it's opponent and go through the air for the remaining damages. Playing the Alms Beast into a stall board is the garantee to give your opponent 3-4 extra turns, if not more.

I believe UA and others impressions will change over time and we may discuss it differently towards the end of the set.             

You seem to have missed the posts from people who played with it and liked it.

I'm sorry that my two friends that ran it at the prerelease aren't Magic Forum regulars so they can't tell you how strong it was for them.

But when I sit and watch game after game, this card change a whole game I'm pretty sure I'm not changing my mind on this card any time soon.

You seem to have missed the posts from people who played with it and liked it.

I'm sorry that my two friends that ran it at the prerelease aren't Magic Forum regulars so they can't tell you how strong it was for them.

But when I sit and watch game after game, this card change a whole game I'm pretty sure I'm not changing my mind on this card any time soon.

I'm not saying I don't like it. You read me wrong. I rated it 3.5.  

I just say it's not as impressive at it seems to be. I believe it would actually shine more as a splah in Boros than in Orzhov.    

I've played with and against it. It's fine, but not amazing.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
I did play with it at the prerelease, and the only time it was good, was on Turn 4/5. Orzhov is trying to extort it's opponent and go through the air for the remaining damages.

It's not like there is but one Orzhov game plan, though.

I did play with it at the prerelease, and the only time it was good, was on Turn 4/5. Orzhov is trying to extort it's opponent and go through the air for the remaining damages.

Well, that's pretty much the design of the guild that wants it, isn't it?

Hey, so you know my previous comment about how if I opened this P1P1 I'd take it? 

Well, pack 1 pick 2 was this thing.  So I took it (P1P1 was Breeding Pool, and I really didn't mind passing the rest of the pack anyway with a money card in RL).

Anywho, just to see how it runs I went Orzhov-Dimir(Not really splashing, it was even split).  After playing it couple times, I found that while *good*, it's not amazing nor earth shattering.  Played against another Orzhov player who got the dreaded combo with Gift of the Orzhovi.  Thankfully I had an unanswered Horror token ciphered with Call of the Nightwing and a couple of chump blocking tokens.  He gained a ton of life, but ultimately it mattered not at all as he couldn't get damage through.

But that's neither here nor there.  The thing is a beast when enchanted, but frankly it never really changed the game-state as much as you'd think.  I think a solid 3.5 now that I've seen him in action is valid, but no more really.  Just a big, dumb creature at the end of it all that performed quite well, though not stellar and game-changing.

On a side note, the life-gain he provides the opponent is not a huge drawback at all.  Not meaningless, mind you, but definitely not terrible for you.  It doesn't matter if you're winning the board position front, and doesn't matter if you're losing it as well.  Only really matter if things are shaky.
This guy is basically either a 4 turn clock, or a repeatable "opponent sacrifices a  creature and gains life equal to that creatures power" (or even a "creatures your opponents control with power less than 6 don't attack").  There's not many creatures that can kill it 1v1, especially on the attack.  Gruul can attempt to bloodrush into it, but that's getting yourself a 2 for 1.

I played Orzhov last saturday in a prerelease, and last night again (store got too many guild packs, so they had another "prerelease" last night. )

Piloting Orzhov means doing just one thing:  Grinding your opponent down to zero, usually with Extort, sometimes with fliers.   There were many games where I would regularly start going down to 10 or less life pretty quickly.... and then my removal and blockers started making combat math a nightmare for my opponent.   In the first pool I had last week, I had Alms Beast,  and he was an all-star in the deck.  He did everything I needed in my Orzhov deck.  He is amazing cheap for such a big body (top deck him late when opponent has big creatures too?  Well, you can still extort even though he's a 6/6!), his big body makes many creatures my opponents would have happily ran in against my other creatures to force trades and get dmg through, stay back and have to wait.  Which is all an Orzhov pilot wants.   Every spell I top deck becomes a drain spell.  What are YOU doing.  My goal is not to win fast, but simply to prevent my opponent from having any pressure on me, this card forces the opponent to have a removal spell, or change their game plan.

(Side note:  If you have removal, especially smite, this card becomes the Gruul players worst nightmare.  The Gruul opponents I played all have creatures of 4-5 power coming down a lot, and all it takes is one little bloodrush to go over the top of this guy.  And when they go for it... 2 for 1.  This guy FORCES the Gruul player to no longer just play out cards and go over the top of your piddly 3-5 drops (a 1/4? a 3/2? Gruul laughs at your silly guards and enforcers), but actually have to have a pump or removal.)

I missed him a LOT in last nights pool.  My first round opponent was also Orzhov, and managed to get a holy mantle on it one game, and just wrecked me for two turns before I killed it.  I couldn't recover after that, and lost the extort war. 

I would say this card is a 4.0.  I will very happily first pick it and start looking to go Orzhov.

Well, that's pretty much the design of the guild that wants it, isn't it?

As far as I reckon, RTR was designed in much the same way as GTC, and there were basically two main strategy branches for all guilds: slow and aggro. GTC will work in the same way, i.e. you will not be obliged to play the guild according to the obvious game plan as stipulated by the guild mechanic.