DLCR: Aetherize

39 posts / 0 new
Last post
Todays GTC card to rate is...

Aetherize

 
Show

5.0: First pick no matter what.  I will always play this card.
4.5: Splashable and first pick worthy.
4.0: First pick pack 1.
3.5: Early pick though not always a first pick.
3.0: Solid early/mid pick.
2.5: Solid pick in color.
2.0: Should generally make the deck if in this color.
1.5: Decent filler.
1.0: 23rd card if you have to.
0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in.
0.0: I will never put this card into my deck (main deck or after sideboarding).


This card is pretty nice.  At the prerelease this thing killed me once and almost killed me a 2nd time.  I think it's a really solid card and should be a pretty high pick.

3.5

Discuss! 
Correct Cammander!

Very strong, very undervalued.

If you get passed these just begin scooping them up. This card was crushing people at the prerelease and it's pretty obvious why. It tempos Boros, it wipes out Simic counters, Gruul bloodrush, and Dimir ciphers and enchantments.

The tempo alone on this is strong enough, at four mana this very often operated exactly like a 7 CMC overloaded (rare) Cyclonic Rift

Sideboard them out sometimes against Orzhov.

3.5
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
I think a 3 for me.  I am always going to want one in my deck but I think they get worse MD in multiples until you know what sort of deck you are facing (if Boros and, to a lesser extent, Gruul then you want many.  Less so against Simic and Orzhov).
3-3.5

I'm really curious to see that in an Orzhov deck as a splash. Orzhov is the guild you want to attack into the most (low P/T and annoying extort guys)  
The surprise effect might be enough to win you the game.   
This is a potentially very powerful effect, but also situational. Over all, I think I want to give it around 3 with the note that it's a lot worse against Orzhov...
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
Probably best against Boros, as they are almost always on the attack.  Very good against Gruul, as it can often nullify at least one bloodrush, perhaps more.  I'd give it 3.0-3.5.  Not something I'll scoop right off the bat and build around, but definitely worth having in multiples most of the time.
This strikes me as a card that would be stronger at the release of the set than at the tail end. That being said if it ever functions as an overloaded Cyclonic Rift it will probably be a blowout. Hmmm... I think this will settle in the 3.0 range.
This strikes me as a card that would be stronger at the release of the set than at the tail end. That being said if it ever functions as an overloaded Cyclonic Rift it will probably be a blowout. Hmmm... I think this will settle in the 3.0 range.



Yep, pretty much agree. I think as the format evolves it will be easier to play around, but still has the upside of overloaded Rift so wouldn't go lower.

3.0 
3.0

It's easy to play around.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

3.0

It's easy to play around.



By "play around" do you mean saying "End turn"?

You have to have a much better board to "play around" this...



bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
3.0

It's easy to play around.



By "play around" do you mean saying "End turn"?

You have to have a much better board to "play around" this...






If they're leaving 4 mana open they're either fine with letting me expand my board, which, yes, would let me have a better board eventually, or I've already stabilized my board and can attack into four open mana with one creature knowing they'll have to choose to cast this or hold off for a potential alpha strike. You don't need a much better board, you just need to know how/when to attack. I played against this fine in the pre-release.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

2.5. I've only ever seen this fog.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
As mentioned by others, mileage may vary. If you have any sort of board presence and the other side is trying to race with creatures, this seems like a game winner. On the other hand, I would for sure side this out against the defensive orzhov players. 2.5-3.0
3.5 -- this massivley messes up the game plan of everybody but Orzhov: Simic loses their counters (though they might gain some back if you wiped multiple creatures, it will seldom be as many), Dimir loses their cipher, grull cries because they wasted their bloodrush, and Boros... may be less hurt in the long run, but they also walk right into it.

This card is hugely underrated and should not be going as late as it does.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

 

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

 


THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

I love this card, it won me many games at the prerelease in dramatic fashion.  I'm very glad that this card is being undervalued and so "easily played around" because for me, it's a pack one pick one.   
I love this card, it won me many games at the prerelease in dramatic fashion.  I'm very glad that this card is being undervalued and so "easily played around" because for me, it's a pack one pick one.   



I love when people say cards like this are "easy to play around".

You mean to tell me if I'm holding a land in my hand and leaving 4 mana up you wont take advantage of your attack?

 That's pretty damn powerful!

bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
I love this card, it won me many games at the prerelease in dramatic fashion.  I'm very glad that this card is being undervalued and so "easily played around" because for me, it's a pack one pick one.   



I love when people say cards like this are "easy to play around".

You mean to tell me if I'm holding a land in my hand and leaving 4 mana up you wont take advantage of your attack?

 That's pretty damn powerful!




Gotta agree with urza here....if its mid-late game and I don't have a strong play, and I have a weaker board than my opponent, I may very well leave mana open just to broadcast I'm ready to be attacked since I have nothing better to do anyway.  If I scare you off swinging with the team, and you drop to 1 guy instead of 3.....I win.  Maybe I didn't even have a card that would do anything to you in my hand.  

Very rarely is it not correct to swing with the whole team if you're boros/gruul in limited.  If you hold back because you're scared of this card....you've lost tempo, and possibily the game because of it.  THAT'S power.

I love this card, it won me many games at the prerelease in dramatic fashion.  I'm very glad that this card is being undervalued and so "easily played around" because for me, it's a pack one pick one.   



I love when people say cards like this are "easy to play around".

You mean to tell me if I'm holding a land in my hand and leaving 4 mana up you wont take advantage of your attack?

 That's pretty damn powerful!




Gotta agree with urza here....if its mid-late game and I don't have a strong play, and I have a weaker board than my opponent, I may very well leave mana open just to broadcast I'm ready to be attacked since I have nothing better to do anyway.  If I scare you off swinging with the team, and you drop to 1 guy instead of 3.....I win.  Maybe I didn't even have a card that would do anything to you in my hand.  

Very rarely is it not correct to swing with the whole team if you're boros/gruul in limited.  If you hold back because you're scared of this card....you've lost tempo, and possibily the game because of it.  THAT'S power.




You don't lose tempo when you choose to not alpha strike into a weaker board. Attacking with a big guy alone will either damage your opponent or strengthen your board advantage even more. You're basically saying this card is powerful bc you'll die slower if you broadcast you have this in your hand and leave mana open to cast it... which is synonymous with not casting anything.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

Haven't played with it yet, but I did counter it at pre-release.

Seems pretty good against Bloodrush, and things like Madcap Skills.
I love this card, it won me many games at the prerelease in dramatic fashion.  I'm very glad that this card is being undervalued and so "easily played around" because for me, it's a pack one pick one.   



I love when people say cards like this are "easy to play around".

You mean to tell me if I'm holding a land in my hand and leaving 4 mana up you wont take advantage of your attack?

 That's pretty damn powerful!




Gotta agree with urza here....if its mid-late game and I don't have a strong play, and I have a weaker board than my opponent, I may very well leave mana open just to broadcast I'm ready to be attacked since I have nothing better to do anyway.  If I scare you off swinging with the team, and you drop to 1 guy instead of 3.....I win.  Maybe I didn't even have a card that would do anything to you in my hand.  

Very rarely is it not correct to swing with the whole team if you're boros/gruul in limited.  If you hold back because you're scared of this card....you've lost tempo, and possibily the game because of it.  THAT'S power.




You don't lose tempo when you choose to not alpha strike into a weaker board. 




guh?  seriously?
I love this card, it won me many games at the prerelease in dramatic fashion.  I'm very glad that this card is being undervalued and so "easily played around" because for me, it's a pack one pick one.   



I love when people say cards like this are "easy to play around".

You mean to tell me if I'm holding a land in my hand and leaving 4 mana up you wont take advantage of your attack?

 That's pretty damn powerful!




Gotta agree with urza here....if its mid-late game and I don't have a strong play, and I have a weaker board than my opponent, I may very well leave mana open just to broadcast I'm ready to be attacked since I have nothing better to do anyway.  If I scare you off swinging with the team, and you drop to 1 guy instead of 3.....I win.  Maybe I didn't even have a card that would do anything to you in my hand.  

Very rarely is it not correct to swing with the whole team if you're boros/gruul in limited.  If you hold back because you're scared of this card....you've lost tempo, and possibily the game because of it.  THAT'S power.




You don't lose tempo when you choose to not alpha strike into a weaker board. 




guh?  seriously?



I know it's hard to believe, but when your opponent doesn't cast anything... like when they leave mana open to potentially cast an Aetherize... you still cast stuff!!!

From the wiki:

"Tempo is a term used in Magic: The Gathering to indicate the advantage gained when a player is able to play more or stronger cards in a shorter period of time due to efficient resource allocation."

So maybe that's a bass-ackward way to look at it. Yes, you "lose" tempo, but it doesn't matter because your opponent is leaving mana open and thus probably not casting anything. As a result you play more cards over a shorter period of time (than your opponent), and as a general rule playing a card is stronger than not playing a card.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

Except that;s not how it works out.  Let's look at an ordinary limited situation: you're both topdecking, and one of you is losing due to evasion.  You're throwing chumps in the way of the ground force and then... you draw another land.  That's just great.

Now, you can drop the land and be done with it... or you can hold it, bluffing a trick.  In this format, what you're bluffing is either going to be Smite (if you're white and have chumps), or Aetherize (if you're blue.

In a topdeck scenario, every turn you get before death is one in which you can draw an answer.  Bluffing tricks bought me three full turns I shouldn't have had in a vital game last week... though I'm not exactly sure what he thought I was bluffing.  That was three extra chances to draw the Foundry Champion (or Mugging, or Massive Raid) that would have turned the game around completley on any of those turns.  By playing psychology and bluffing well, I gained myself the equivalent of an Ancestral Recall: three extra draws. 

The cost to me was nothing: being as I was in topdeck, holding a spare land when my mana was going to waste already.

It's an important skill, and being aware that this card exists lets you use it more effectivley.  If you can 'force' a misplay, things go better for you, potentially even "winning when you should have lost" better.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

 

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

 


THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

Except that;s not how it works out.  Let's look at an ordinary limited situation: you're both topdecking, and one of you is losing due to evasion.  You're throwing chumps in the way of the ground force and then... you draw another land.  That's just great.

Now, you can drop the land and be done with it... or you can hold it, bluffing a trick.  In this format, what you're bluffing is either going to be Smite (if you're white and have chumps), or Aetherize (if you're blue.

In a topdeck scenario, every turn you get before death is one in which you can draw an answer.  Bluffing tricks bought me three full turns I shouldn't have had in a vital game last week... though I'm not exactly sure what he thought I was bluffing.  That was three extra chances to draw the Foundry Champion (or Mugging, or Massive Raid) that would have turned the game around completley on any of those turns.  By playing psychology and bluffing well, I gained myself the equivalent of an Ancestral Recall: three extra draws. 

The cost to me was nothing: being as I was in topdeck, holding a spare land when my mana was going to waste already.

It's an important skill, and being aware that this card exists lets you use it more effectivley.  If you can 'force' a misplay, things go better for you, potentially even "winning when you should have lost" better.



Yes. Bluffing is an important skill. No, a card is not good because you can pretend to have it.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

I'd rate it a 4. Had three of these during my first gatecrash draft and they were pretty amazing. And if you can catch people using combat tricks with it, man it gets to be a huge blowout.
Except that;s not how it works out.  Let's look at an ordinary limited situation: you're both topdecking, and one of you is losing due to evasion.  You're throwing chumps in the way of the ground force and then... you draw another land.  That's just great.

Now, you can drop the land and be done with it... or you can hold it, bluffing a trick.  In this format, what you're bluffing is either going to be Smite (if you're white and have chumps), or Aetherize (if you're blue.

In a topdeck scenario, every turn you get before death is one in which you can draw an answer.  Bluffing tricks bought me three full turns I shouldn't have had in a vital game last week... though I'm not exactly sure what he thought I was bluffing.  That was three extra chances to draw the Foundry Champion (or Mugging, or Massive Raid) that would have turned the game around completley on any of those turns.  By playing psychology and bluffing well, I gained myself the equivalent of an Ancestral Recall: three extra draws. 

The cost to me was nothing: being as I was in topdeck, holding a spare land when my mana was going to waste already.

It's an important skill, and being aware that this card exists lets you use it more effectivley.  If you can 'force' a misplay, things go better for you, potentially even "winning when you should have lost" better.



Yes. Bluffing is an important skill. No, a card is not good because you can pretend to have it.


I think you've got it backwards.  This card isn't good because you can bluff it, you can bluff it because it's GOOD.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

 

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

 


THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

Except that;s not how it works out.  Let's look at an ordinary limited situation: you're both topdecking, and one of you is losing due to evasion.  You're throwing chumps in the way of the ground force and then... you draw another land.  That's just great.

Now, you can drop the land and be done with it... or you can hold it, bluffing a trick.  In this format, what you're bluffing is either going to be Smite (if you're white and have chumps), or Aetherize (if you're blue.

In a topdeck scenario, every turn you get before death is one in which you can draw an answer.  Bluffing tricks bought me three full turns I shouldn't have had in a vital game last week... though I'm not exactly sure what he thought I was bluffing.  That was three extra chances to draw the Foundry Champion (or Mugging, or Massive Raid) that would have turned the game around completley on any of those turns.  By playing psychology and bluffing well, I gained myself the equivalent of an Ancestral Recall: three extra draws. 

The cost to me was nothing: being as I was in topdeck, holding a spare land when my mana was going to waste already.

It's an important skill, and being aware that this card exists lets you use it more effectivley.  If you can 'force' a misplay, things go better for you, potentially even "winning when you should have lost" better.



Yes. Bluffing is an important skill. No, a card is not good because you can pretend to have it.


I think you've got it backwards.  This card isn't good because you can bluff it, you can bluff it because it's GOOD.



We should play poker

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

Poker has nothing to do with this.  Wether or not you had an ace in your hand in game one doesn't mean you can bluff it in game two.  Poker is simply "do ya have something or not?"

If you show wrath of god in game one....most people are going to be afraid to fully commit to the board, just because they're worried about the potential 2 or 3 or 4-for-1 that such a card creates.  

This card works in a similar way.  Game 1, you get its full power, as they don't know you have it, and may "walk into it" by playing as any sane player would.  

Game 2, they're going to be wary of sending the whole team in unless its for the win.  If they don't send even 1 guy when they otherwise would have sent the team in (because swinging all is the correct play) than you've picked up tempo and bought yourself a free turn or more just because they're playing around a card you may or may not even have in your hand.

That, my friend....is power.   
Bluffing is pretty much the same in every game you play... but it looks like I play mtg in a fundamentally different way than you guys. I'm curious to hear if anyone has actually played this/against it? Because I have. It's underwhelming. And not a 4.0--that's Desecration Demon level.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

I've played both with and against it.
It's very situational.

When I was vs it I was able to play around it easily enough. Keeping 4 mana open to cast this is a real bummer, and when your opponent only attacks with 1 or 2 then it really sucks that you're just bouncing them instead of advancing your board. One of the times I was boros but that's okay, my guys were packing heat for their relatively low mana cost. The other time, so far, I was orzhov and bouncing 1 or 2 of my guys is even worse for my opponent in that situation!

I've also utilized it and been less than thrilled with it. I was in a situation where I was getting mauled by boros reckoner and rubblebelt raiders. I could cast a dude or use this. Okay so I used this, yay alive for 1 more turn, I used 4 mana to bounce 7 mana worth of creatures and didn't really gain much there.

If I had an evader and had hands of binding that could be more useful. I think one of the reasons that aetherize isn't as good is an indirect reason: the cipher cards mostly suck.

This is currently somewhere between 1.5 - 2.5 for me, depending on what I want my deck to do. The higher end will be for a controlling, removal-happy, defensive deck. 
I would not want three of these.  It's a best case scenario card.  Average case if you might bounce 1-2 attackers, which makes it very much playable, but just okay.

Once in a while,you'll just get 'em, but that's not all that often.
I played against this.  I didn't even know my opponent had it, but when he didn't play anything on turn four I smelled a rat.  I attacked with one guy instead of two and it got Aetherized.  I replayed my dude and felt like I was ahead in the end.  I can see me getting caught by this card at some point though as I'm usually terrible about playing around things.

Cheers
Out of curiosity, how many of y'all grimmace and smile at essentially random times when you play? I've gotten into the habit of grimmacing and shuffling the cards in my hand anytime I don't play something on my main phase in turns 3 or 4, even if I am strategically holding back, as well as for various top decks late game. I also go "Hmmmm" and stare at random top decks a lot if I don't immediately play them. I'm not sure how effective this tactic is, but I figure that it is better if my opponents are acting on misleading information than no information at all.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
Out of curiosity, how many of y'all grimmace and smile at essentially random times when you play? I've gotten into the habit of grimmacing and shuffling the cards in my hand anytime I don't play something on my main phase in turns 3 or 4, even if I am strategically holding back, as well as for various top decks late game. I also go "Hmmmm" and stare at random top decks a lot if I don't immediately play them. I'm not sure how effective this tactic is, but I figure that it is better if my opponents are acting on misleading information than no information at all.



The lies are in the details.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

Random anecdote: I use vizkopa confessor and see my opponent has a diluvian primordial but I take another card (4/4 flyer that makes guys with counters into fliers) as he had several guys with counters and I had no instants/sorceries in yard and he did not have 7 mana yet. I drew into grisly spectacle which I couldnt cast because I knew my opponent had the primordial (he draws the mana for it but is waiting for 'value'. At some point he is at ~10 and I attack with alms beast and the confessor. It is now late game with each player having 9-10 lands. He uses aetherize, and I get to replay both my guys and take his primordial. Alternatively he couldve gone to 3 vs extort. Obviously this is not a typical situation, but I think aetherize is fairly mediocre unless you can afford to bluff it for multiple turns due to a large number of instants. unsummon is a much better card. Its a card that should frequently move between main and side depending if your opponent sees it. Also nice vs hellraiser goblin or other all-in type cards like that +2/+2 sorcery. 

random off-topic sidenote: @rstnme I disagree with your limited guidline cards representing 5.0, 3.0, 2.0, 1.0, and 0.5. 
fury -> two color cards I would not take no matter what if Im in neither color pack 3 (except for monetary considerations). I wouldnt splash fury in a dimir deck over a card like bane ally broker.  
hellraiser goblin -> the drawback is quite significant and the body is mediocre. I'm not saying the card is bad because it has a lot of upside, but most opponents should also have low curve decks and I feel like this card is a big risk. 
mugging -> This is a quality removal spell. 3.0 (in a very low curve boros deck)
Debtor's pulpit -> This card strikes me as at least 2.0 in an orzhov deck
0.5 -> instant speed bloodrush rebuy makes this a perfectly playable 23rd card, and I dont see myself maindecking a land over it unless I have a deck that really wants 18 land, likely 1.5
 
random off-topic sidenote: @rstnme I disagree with your limited guidline cards representing 5.0, 3.0, 2.0, 1.0, and 0.5. 
fury -> two color cards I would not take no matter what if Im in neither color pack 3 (except for monetary considerations). I wouldnt splash fury in a dimir deck over a card like bane ally broker.  
hellraiser goblin -> the drawback is quite significant and the body is mediocre. I'm not saying the card is bad because it has a lot of upside, but most opponents should also have low curve decks and I feel like this card is a big risk. 
mugging -> This is a quality removal spell. 3.0 (in a very low curve boros deck)
Debtor's pulpit -> This card strikes me as at least 2.0 in an orzhov deck
0.5 -> instant speed bloodrush rebuy makes this a perfectly playable 23rd card, and I dont see myself maindecking a land over it unless I have a deck that really wants 18 land, likely 1.5
 



I'm going to redo the list once I've drafted this set more. I disagree with some of your points, but that's more about playstyle than anything.

Fury: sure, you can't splash fury in Dimir, but I don't think that reduces its value. I'm very rarely going to let this card go by no matter where I am in a draft, which I feel like justifies a 5.0. I think your comparison to the broker is too contextual, a looter for Dimir is especially potent but still can't compare to fury. It wins games.

Hellraiser: hoses my opponents every time I play him until he's removed. It either gives me early damage and advantageous board presence, or I can play it second main in the late game to give my bomb haste. He immediately affects the board, I can't go lower than a 3.0 for that. I tend to play him second main and pocket him until I need battalion or have a playable bloodrush. The fact that he's almost always good for at least 4 damage or board advantage is superb.

Mugging: is amazing, and definitely higher than a two. I don't know if it's a 3.0, since I rank it below Dimir charm. 2.5 works.

Pulpit: never seen it played or played against it. White and black have such good removal by comparison I can't really see this card being played very often. In a guild with Orzhov Charm, Angelic Edict, Smite, and Executioner's Blade, grisly spectacle, and that cannibalize card, this kind of takes the backseat. That does not make it a 1.0, though; I'm probably nostalgic for my tattered ice age icy manipulator

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

Random anecdote: I use vizkopa confessor and see my opponent has a diluvian primordial but I take another card (4/4 flyer that makes guys with counters into fliers) as he had several guys with counters and I had no instants/sorceries in yard and he did not have 7 mana yet. I drew into grisly spectacle which I couldnt cast because I knew my opponent had the primordial (he draws the mana for it but is waiting for 'value'. At some point he is at ~10 and I attack with alms beast and the confessor. It is now late game with each player having 9-10 lands. He uses aetherize, and I get to replay both my guys and take his primordial. Alternatively he couldve gone to 3 vs extort. Obviously this is not a typical situation, but I think aetherize is fairly mediocre unless you can afford to bluff it for multiple turns due to a large number of instants. unsummon is a much better card. Its a card that should frequently move between main and side depending if your opponent sees it. Also nice vs hellraiser goblin or other all-in type cards like that +2/+2 sorcery. 

random off-topic sidenote: @rstnme I disagree with your limited guidline cards representing 5.0, 3.0, 2.0, 1.0, and 0.5. 
fury -> two color cards I would not take no matter what if Im in neither color pack 3 (except for monetary considerations). I wouldnt splash fury in a dimir deck over a card like bane ally broker.  
hellraiser goblin -> the drawback is quite significant and the body is mediocre. I'm not saying the card is bad because it has a lot of upside, but most opponents should also have low curve decks and I feel like this card is a big risk. 
mugging -> This is a quality removal spell. 3.0 (in a very low curve boros deck)
Debtor's pulpit -> This card strikes me as at least 2.0 in an orzhov deck
0.5 -> instant speed bloodrush rebuy makes this a perfectly playable 23rd card, and I dont see myself maindecking a land over it unless I have a deck that really wants 18 land, likely 1.5
 


Aetherize is fairly mediocre against Orzhov, because it hands them extort fodder.  I'd board it out game two for a heavy extort match, but run it MD and pick it high because all four other guilds are easily victimized.

Dimir loses their Cipher
Simic Loses their counters (they can re-evolve, but it takes a lot of time to do it right and they might not get back to the size they were)
Gruul watches helplessly as its discarded beaters do nothing ("counters" bloodrush)
Boros walks right into a blowout thanks to needing battallion, and was the most reliant on tempo to begin with.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

 

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

 


THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

I still fail to see some of the points against this card holding any water. I can hold a land in my hand and this will fundamentally change the way you play the game, that's real power!
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
I've seen some good players play around this, attacking with only a few creatures at a time to avoid a complete blowout.

But it's still an answer to their Cyphered/Bloodrushed/Evolved creatures, or their Battalion team. Usually they will want to utilize those attackers, and if the presense of the spell is keeping them from attacking with those guys, it's doing some good. It's true that if your opponent is playing around this, the only way that you can afford to hold back mana for this spell turn after turn is if you already have a racing presence on the board with an evasive creature out, etc. But in those racing situations, it's really good.

It also seems like an interesting card to bluff, although I'm not sure of the best way to make that work. I'm going to try to keep the bluffing potential in mind, though.
Goblin Artisans - A Magic Design Blog by GDS2 Contestants and Collaborators
Solid 3.0.  Who knows, maybe I'd even pick this one first in the right pack.  I don't mind the fact that it's 'easy to play around' because that means it still buys you a turn or two per game and it doesn't even have to be in your hand.  In a format full of strong enchantments and Ciphers, it gets you out of some sticky situations, even if you're only bouncing one or two guys.
Sign In to post comments