Darwin (UG)

16 posts / 0 new
Last post

Sideboard under construction.

In an ideal world, by turn 3 this deck hits down master biomancer or fathom mage, meaning i get my card drawing and evolutions going until the enemy simply gets overrun. The simic charms are a no-brainer, but the unsummons are there both as removal and as a way to bounce my own creatures and put them down again to trigger the biomancer, the card-draw, or evolve again, and since I don't have any actual removal amongst my spells, ulvenwald tracker server that purpose both by allowing me to use my bigger creatures to remove threats (especially if i hit my predator ooze.) but also provides a cheap 3/3 or 7/3 drop after the biomancers hit.

I have avoided gates for now, since the deck really wants to hit it's drops each turn in order to get past the phase where it will simply be beat by fast enemy aggression. And I am also considering removing ooze flux, since by the time it becomes relevant I have likely already won, even if it does synergize well with removing counters, only to trigger evolve again, which draws me even more cards....you get the picture. Hm, a bit torn on that actually. I also got suggested that I insert some rancor into the deck as both trample and an alternative way to beat down my opponent, but that lands me in the dilemma of what to remove. And the forced adaptation can both help me build big, but landed on a fathom mage it is a card draw each turn, and on biomancer things get stupid.

Thoughts?
Forced Adaption is really slow and probably not worth it. It's basically a worse Bond Beetle unless your creature survives until two more of your upkeeps. I would recommend something else that gives +1/+1 counters. Maybe Blessings of Nature. I don't like Jace here. It doesn't seem to do much in this deck. You need some more creatures to trigger evolve. Basically the only things that trigger evolve are master biomancer, prime speaker zegana, and giant adephage. Having 11 creatures (arbor elf, predator ooze, and ulvenwald tracker) that don't trigger evolve doesn't seem good.

"This list much made Niche barf a lil' in his mouth, so I can be proud of that." -rstnme

Try throwing in Silklash Spider. His 7 toughness will be sure to trigger evolve and his ability ensures that the fight stays on the ground.
Thanks for the feedback guys!

@kennedy: You raise a very good point about forced adaptation! And blassings of nature fits in perfectly with the deck, both in terms of buffing the size of creatures, but also because once fathom mage is out it draws you four cards!

Hm, jace to be honest, was there because when i was proxying up the deck a week or two ago, it happened to be an izzet deck with jace, and i figured "well, this is blue, why not?" :P Althoughg his +1 could be useful in keeping me alive during the early game where I am most exposed. A friend suggested Garruk, primal hunter in there, and I am kinda inclined to agree.

Also, note that Gyre sage triggers evolve. Not on itself, but on the fathom mage, which is the only other actual evolve creature in there. Arbor elf stays since i really need the mana acceleration in order to hit my 4 drops on turn 3. As explained, I really don't like the idea of removing the tracker due to lack of creature removal otherwise, and the ooze also serves as both an aggresive 3 drop, but can block anything the enemy can throw at me as well. Although I could maybe reduce the number of them. Another thing to keep in mind is that once we get past biomancer, EVERYTHING in the deck triggers evolve. Ofc, since you can only have 4, getting the biomancer out is the problem ;)

What would you put in instead of the tracker and ooze as a way to stem enemy aggression and remove creatures?

@Dimirdeckwins (awesome name :P): Jup! Since Thragtusk is waaay out of my budget, I have already begun on getting 1-2 of them as my 5 drops ^^
Darwin is such a good name for an Evolve deck!  Do you mind if i steal it?  I agree that Predator Ooze seems a little out of place.   
Actually, I intentionally decided to go with this name for it because I love the name, so feel free! Let's spread it! :D

Also, after some more goldfishing, i've decided that gyre sage probably has to go, although it still triggers evolve in fathom mage, so not totally convinced. Although predator ooze has presented more than one problem in a multicoloured deck, and requires an elf and 2 forests to get out consistently on turn 3. However, what would be a better alternative to it?

Been also looking a bit at timberland guide, but it seems to lack power on it's own. I am more interested in creatures that can hold their own, rather than pure evolve, since fathom mage and gyre sage are the only "real" evolve cards at the moment, since master biomancer would break the format if he could also evolve! XD And I need a way to establish my board presence and hold the line until I overrun the enemy. Hm, maybe some lightnight greaves to try and protect my biomancers, which are key to securing victory?

As for blessings of nature love it so far! due to the synergy, it is almost worth hardcasting!
You have so many 1/1 and nothing that triggers evolve. This deck is mostly based on mana gain: Gyre Sage and Arbor Elf
You don't even have Bioshift to trigger the biomancer. How are you supposed to bring an army of "evolved creatures"?
Hinterland harbor should help
Maybe keep Gyre Sage, add in some Increasing Savagery and some bigger creatures like Thragtusk and Giant Adephage. With Savagery and an Arbor Elf, you can Increasing Savagery on to a Gyre Sage by turn 3 and then tap Gyre Sage for a Thragtusk or maybe even another Increasing Savagery. I'd suggest Undying creatures like Vorapede to help with evolve triggers, but Undying doesn't play nice with Master Biomancer.
Maybe keep Gyre Sage, add in some Increasing Savagery and some bigger creatures like Thragtusk and Giant Adephage. With Savagery and an Arbor Elf, you can Increasing Savagery on to a Gyre Sage by turn 3 and then tap Gyre Sage for a Thragtusk or maybe even another Increasing Savagery. I'd suggest Undying creatures like Vorapede to help with evolve triggers, but Undying doesn't play nice with Master Biomancer.

While the Gyre sage interaction is cute, you are banking on a 4 card combo to make it good.

Otherwise, its just not that great. I'd rather play Shambleshark.

Also, you are playing far too many 1/1's. How are you ever evolving your Mage? I'd replace Predator Ooze with Wolfir Avenger, at the very least. 

While the Gyre sage interaction is cute, you are banking on a 4 card combo to make it good.

Otherwise, its just not that great. I'd rather play Shambleshark.

Also, you are playing far too many 1/1's. How are you ever evolving your Mage? I'd replace Predator Ooze with Wolfir Avenger, at the very least. 

i quote, the Shambleshark is great for multiple combat tricks and is just a 2 mana cost.

instead of playing that boring a slow counter sorcery, i'd play Forced Adaptation at least you can cast it on turn 3 with another creature on the right in game sage and speed up your mana

Oh yeah, and you should probably be playing at least one or two Alchemist's Refuge in any blue/green deck. That would certainly help Increasing Savagery along, should you need it during the opponent's turn.

Also...

instead of playing that boring a slow counter sorcery, i'd play Forced Adaptation at least you can cast it on turn 3 with another creature on the right in game sage and speed up your mana

Forced Adaptation is slower and more boring... I don't know what you're talking about with Increasing Savagery. Sure, if you get an Arbor Elf out T1, you can get the enchantment on a Gyre Sage by turn 2, but then it's going to take a longer time to build the counters on Gyre Sage... and once Forced Adaptation is gone when Gyre Sage gets his by the inevitable removal spell, it's gone for good.

Forced Adaptation also has relatively the same problem that Evolve does. It isn't useful to draw when in late-game.

With Increasing Savagery, you can cast it by turn 3 with an Arbor Elf (and turn 4 without, whatever) and get 5 counters on a Gyre Sage to tap for 5 green mana immediately afterward. When Gyre Sage gets removed, you can still flashback Increasing Savagery for TEN counters.

If you draw an Increasing Savagery late game, it can turn the tide in your favor or maybe win you the game right there.
@Stryk, you convinced me. I was underrating the power of this card combined with Gyre Sage, but know that you put it in that way... looks awesome
Hm, had looked at increasing savagery but dismissed it a little due to the mana cost, but yeah, you make an extremely good case for it! :D Although it does raise another question: increasing savagery vs blessings of nature?

Also, Thragtusk is out of the question! 25$ per card is just too expensive. Although considering silklash spider as an alternative that also helps stop flyers as suggested earlier in the thread.

Hmm, wolfir avenger seems like a good alternative, also easier to cast than the ooze, which has been giving me a few issues when goldfishing, meaning it almost never managed to get out on turn 2, although my deck did not proxy hinterland harbor so need to try it again. The main advantage of the ooze is the indestructibility, so it becomes a question of staying power, vs immiediate gain of the silverheart. Hmm...

Also, when referring to "evolved creatures" in terms of overrunning, it is mostly a question of the counters from master biomancer, where even 1 of them is enough to mean you more or less win if you untap with it. bioshift is good, but raises the question whether it is worth a card slot over, and in my gatecrash experience so far, it is actually better as a sideboard card vs simic decks, as you can use it to move around counters on their creatures.

Hmm, but would replacing ulvenwald tracker with a slightly larger creature, be worth the loss of the ability to cast prey uponas removal?
ok, keeping the original list there for reference, this is however what I am working with atm, after some of the suggestions, and since i noticed Thragtusk dropped down to "only" 15 bucks, it is possible to actually consider it.

The deck has moved into a lot more green, has gotten a more expensive curve and an actual curve in the power of most creatures. However, this has also come at the cost of fewer utility spells, the loss of removal in the form of ulvenwald tracker and ability to counter enemy moves like unsummon which I still feel a little iffy about...that said, the deck still does crazy things if left alone, and has an easier time "going off" without the biomancer out.

Is this the right course to take the deck? And how would you evaluate the changes made?
Btw, after some testing, I am immensely proud to say that the deck even works better than expected, and has so far gone undefeated on Cockatrice. However, other simic decks give it a run for it's money, but anything else it simply outlasts and outbeats, able to land a turn 4-5 kill with the right hand ^^

Or, as the simic would say; Experiment Successfull, now lets take it to the next level.

However, one thing still eludes me; Any suggestions for what would make a good sideboard in the metagame of today?