So...bad fact checking

67 posts / 0 new
Last post
This morning when I got up I checked facebook as I always do. On it, the sister of two girls I went to school with posted an article about how horrible aspertame is. The problem is the article is proven wrong by snopes and to go further the picture in the article pictures Splenda which has nothing to do with the article. After posting the snopes link her and her sister posted several links to me- both clearly bias. 

Does that kind of thing annoy you? 
IMAGE(http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/RockNrollBabe20/Charmed-supernatural-and-charmed_zps8bd4125f.jpg)
Only sometimes.  When Loki does it it's friggin' epic.  Man, we could sure use some Loki around here right now.
Resident Prophet of the OTTer.

Section Six Soldier

Front Door of the House of Trolls

[b]If you're terribly afraid of your character dying, it may be best if you roleplayed something other than an adventurer.[/b]

Let me get my aluminum foil hat... be right back...
*Gets the OTTerette a tinfoil hat just in case*

Here you go ma'am. In case he gets too loony just throw some wild statement out there and let him pounce on it as you run. Don't take any of his statements as true, as he's a top notch conspiracy theorist who believes "Facts" that he hears are the Gospel truth.
Spiteful Wizard and Voice of Reason of the House of Trolls The Silent God of the House of Trolls Unfrozen OTTer Arbiter of the House of Trolls Yes, I have many titles. Deal with it.

Oh let me count the ways....
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."- John Stuart Mill “Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.”― William F. Buckley "The straw in your man is amazing."- Maxperson Original Hipster of the House of Trolls: I was hipster before hipster was cool Resident Hater Mini Hate Machine
Like I really don't get how people can believe chain letters on facebook. Then they post to me articles that aren't even from credible sources. 
IMAGE(http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/RockNrollBabe20/Charmed-supernatural-and-charmed_zps8bd4125f.jpg)

Oh let me count the ways....

Was expecting this when I read the OP.
Resident Piggles Zombie piggy is eatin' your sigs om nom nom (>*o*)>
MTG Card
Front: PigKnight, One Line Poster (3W) Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Vigilance When this creature dies, return him to play and transform him. (2/3) >(5/3)< Back: (Black)ZombiePiggles, Eater of Tomato Sauce Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Zombie Trample, Intimidate B: Regenerate this creature. When this creature is the target of a white spell, transform this creature. (5/3)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/15.jpg)

Like I really don't get how people can believe chain letters on facebook. Then they post to me articles that aren't even from credible sources. 

You do understand that there's a block function, right?  I use it on people that spam crap.  Especially religious and/or 'inspirational' crap.  I know how to find stuff on the internet.  If I wanted to find that garbage I would have.  If you think I'm interested you have no idea who I am - which, to be fair, is often by design.  But anyhoo, don't post that crap.  Ever.

Section Six Soldier

[b]If you're terribly afraid of your character dying, it may be best if you roleplayed something other than an adventurer.[/b]

You do understand that there's a block function, right?  I use it on people that spam crap.  Especially religious and/or 'inspirational' crap.  I know how to find stuff on the internet.  If I wanted to find that garbage I would have.  If you think I'm interested you have no idea who I am - which, to be fair, is often by design.  But anyhoo, don't post that crap.  Ever.

I never posted the article or any like that she posted, lol. I check facebook but rarely reply to people. I replied to her because the article was so stupid. I don't want to block her because I don't hate her and some things she posts are actually interesting. I just don't get how someone can believe such a blatant chain letter. Its not even a real article, honestly. 
Don't use FB.
I got off that a while ago.
People will survive without your account being on FB.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."- John Stuart Mill “Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.”― William F. Buckley "The straw in your man is amazing."- Maxperson Original Hipster of the House of Trolls: I was hipster before hipster was cool Resident Hater Mini Hate Machine
I never posted the article or any like that she posted, lol. I check facebook but rarely reply to people. I replied to her because the article was so stupid. I don't want to block her because I don't hate her and some things she posts are actually interesting. I just don't get how someone can believe such a blatant chain letter. Its not even a real article, honestly. 

Psst ...  ... people like that aren't worth talking to.  Cuz they're idiots. ...

Srsly.  Why waste the time?  How much could she really have to offer if she's that stupid?  You're friends are a reflection of you.  Keep betterer ones.

Section Six Soldier

You're friends are a reflection of you.  Keep betterer ones.

Which is why I only have, like, 3 "friends"... and some of them are co-workers. I have little time for friends, what with a shrew of a wife and kids younger than 4.
It's why I drink my face off on Saturdays.
Oh no I really like facebook because it allows me to have better contact with my heart camp friends. 

Psst ...  ... people like that aren't worth talking to.  Cuz they're idiots. ...

Srsly.  Why waste the time?  How much could she really have to offer if she's that stupid?  You're friends are a reflection of you.  Keep betterer ones.

Like I said, sometimes she posts things worth reading and other times she doesn't- like flooding the feed with anti-abortion stuff. I mean its fine to believe something but flooding just annoys people. I know her and her two sisters from church years ago. 
Like I said, sometimes she posts things worth reading and other times she doesn't- like flooding the feed with anti-abortion stuff. I mean its fine to believe something but flooding just annoys people. I know her and her two sisters from church years ago. 

Yeah, I'd have that tool on block.  Er, no.  That's a lie.  I'd never be friends with someone like that in the first place. 

Section Six Soldier

I thought that was because you hate having the taste of cheap processed Beer Product TM in your mouth when you wake up on Mondays?
Spiteful Wizard and Voice of Reason of the House of Trolls The Silent God of the House of Trolls Unfrozen OTTer Arbiter of the House of Trolls Yes, I have many titles. Deal with it.

I thought that was because you hate having the taste of cheap processed Beer Product TM in your mouth when you wake up on Mondays?

Err.. what?
I only drink on Saturdays (unless it's a special occasion), and even though it is usually Pabst, lately I have been drinking Yuengling.
Also, I smoke home-made "cigarettes"

Err.. what?
I only drink on Saturdays (unless it's a special occasion), and even though it is usually Pabst, lately I have been drinking Yuengling.
Also, I smoke home-made "cigarettes"

Exactly! Cheap processed Beer ProductTM.
Aspertame really is bad stuff though, I mean truly awful, I cant think of one good thing that has aspertame in it, NOT ONE!! Seriously give me real sugar anyday of the week, or at the very least High fructose corn syrup, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there
Aspertame really is bad stuff though, I mean truly awful, I cant think of one good thing that has aspertame in it, NOT ONE!!

Cancer
/Thread.
Seriously give me real sugar anyday of the week, or at the very least High fructose corn syrup, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

That stuff is terrible for you. You should really try to avoid it.

Nut Eating Resident Sociopathic Eye Forker 2346-strong Squirrel leigon of DOOM Squirrel Overlord of the House of Trolls Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. ~Plato Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy. ~Ernest Benn The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it. ~P.J. O'Rourke "I actually held public office and I left the only way a politician should, in handcuffs." ~ Chael Sonnen It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it! ~ Upton Sinclair Kicked Adam and Eve out of Missouri. Wears flip-flops in church buildings. Official troller of Kolob.
This is not a trapp
My temple name is Elohim. What is your super-secret temple name?
Riddle me this
How can two people with physical bodies make spirit babies?
*Two points about this gag. Firstly, every writer of anything makes typos and I’m no different. It’s “there but for the grace of God go I” rather than schadenfreude here. The second is something called Muphry’s Law (no, it is Muphry’s, not Murphy’s) which states that any piece correcting or laughing at a typo, spelling or grammatical mistake will contain at least one worse than the original being complained of.
Aspertame really is bad stuff though, I mean truly awful, I cant think of one good thing that has aspertame in it, NOT ONE!! Seriously give me real sugar anyday of the week, or at the very least High fructose corn syrup, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I'm not saying its good and that it should be consumed but the article is nothing more than a propaganda chain letter. It even pictures products that don't have any apertame in it. I told her that her source is invalid and has been sqaushed by snopes so she found more unreliable sources not even from medical journals. Why is it acceptable to be 'safe than sorry' and believe a chain letter? Then she told me, "oh i'd rather be safe than sorry and not put that in my body". Oh, okay that's fine but your source is still a chain letter. 
A chain letter cured my AIDS.

Section Six Soldier

Now just don't go to any doctors. You won't get sick if they can't tell you what you got.
Now just don't go to any doctors. You won't get sick if they can't tell you what you got.

I don't think she goes to the doctors or vaccinates either.
Sounds like we should see about hooking her up with Loki. And then making sure they never, EVER reproduce.
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
Sounds like we should see about hooking her up with Loki. And then making sure they never, EVER reproduce.

Haha, she has three kids which she home schools. I don't have anything against home schooling if you actually teach your kids and give them enough social interaction with people. Not everyone benefits from a traditional classroom. But she home remedies a lot and uses horseradish and mayo to cure fevers instead of medicine... o.O

I never met her kids because a long time ago the family moved away. Then she and the twins (the girls I went to school with) moved as well.

As for me, I'll stick with doctors when something goes wrong and medicine when I get a fever. 

Of course.  Everyone knows it's the only way you get anything worse than a cold.

Haha, she has three kids which she home schools. I don't have anything against home schooling if you actually teach your kids and give them enough social interaction with people. Not everyone benefits from a traditional classroom. But she home remedies a lot and uses horseradish and mayo to cure fevers instead of medicine... o.O

I never met her kids because a long time ago the family moved away. Then she and the twins (the girls I went to school with) moved as well.

As for me, I'll stick with doctors when something goes wrong and medicine when I get a fever. 

There's a word for people like her.  Of course, I can't say it here.  And, you know, Joe Flacco just got in some trouble for saying it, too.  It's the new other word I can't say here.  You know, the word from that Django movie - but that's not the word I'd call her.  I'd call her that other one.  Like, all the time.

Section Six Soldier

Lemme guess... It starts with "ret" and doesn't end in "con", right?
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Maybe. 

Can you believe we can't say that word anymore?  It's ... well I can't say what it is now can I? 

Section Six Soldier

Sadly I've learned to tolerate stupid ignorance just enough to let the little stuff slide. Otherwise my heart would explode from high blood pressure lol. 

I actually like people like that - they just reinforce my innate belief in my own genetic and intellectual superiority over the rest of so-called humanity...

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Gah! She changed her avatar again! We talked about this! WITFH!!!?!!!??!
I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there
Gah! She changed her avatar again! We talked about this! WITFH!!!?!!!??!

atleast it doesn't say "you just lost the game"

ThorvaldHafgrimsson wrote:
Life is full of choices. Sometimes you make the good ones, and sometimes you have to kill all the witnesses.
NastasiaLorn; wrote:
But then you have to pay the liability insurance.
A note about character and world creation
Show
Character and world creation are a form of expression. The point is that some people don't have much to say...
57949688 wrote:
Why doesnt anyone ever sig my qoutes!?
On the subject of who post in the Off-Topic Tavern:
57131438 wrote:
most of them are bored, immature adults.
Offical troller of the House of Trolls
That woulda been better than Kill monkey, I mean seriously, why would we want to kill monkeys? Monkeys are great fun, they like to in public as well as and and they like to throw at you! Why would you want to kill them!?
I got tired of not having a face on my avatar so I found one that does. Lol, in this episode of Charmed there is a monkey totem that an evil crone brings to life. Paige's first thought was to kill the monkey that took her speech away however later figured out that killing the monkies would not give them their senses back. 

I'm probably going to keep this avatar for quite a awhile though I may resize that sig again later- or see if I can find one less huge.  
Crazy_monkey might think it's directed at him. Especially here in the OTT.
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
When she meets CJ's mom?
Crazy_monkey might think it's directed at him. Especially here in the OTT.

And maybe it really is...
Who is Crazy_monkey?
Who is Crazy_monkey?

You'll see as soon as TS reports your post for disruption or hate speech... or something...
Who is Crazy_monkey?

You'll see as soon as TS reports your post for disruption or hate speech... or something...

How is my post hate speech? I simply asked a question.
Who is Crazy_monkey?

How is my post hate speech? I simply asked a question.

Exactly.
Sign In to post comments