Build based around a model?

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
If you were to suggest a class based around this model, what would it be?

The model is of Dwarf, wielding an axe (and a pistol, but that parts not important) who has an armored bear as a companion.  They like to get into melee together and team up for some impressive damage.  They also like to knock stuff prone, but gain no major benefit from it apart from increased accuracy (combat advantage in this case).

Picture below:
Sig
Yes, I killed your BBEG with his own lair:
Setting: Tomb with a perilous bridge and cliff 100 feet above a lava pit. Mummy pops out of his sarcophagus, initiative: Felix, Half-Elf Artificer: Twin Strike with crossbow. Trump (ala Donald), Eladrin Warlord: Charges mummy with Opening Shove, pushing off the cliff. Mummy fails saving throw, and falls into pit. Sanshiro (ala Japanese "superhero" Segata), Minotaur Barbarian: Strength check to lift sarcophagus and carry to cliff. Free action, drop sarcophagus into square above mummy. Sarcophagus drops on mummy, shoving him further down into lava. Mummy: proceeds to make a series of horrible athletics checks to swim and climb cliff. Dies a horrible death with lava permeating every orifice. Entire Party: Watches on in delight, faces alit with the glow of lava and flaming undead.
Original CharOpper
I soap myself up, and turn up the hot water in the shower, so my sweat mixes with the soap, slickening my skin: +5 to grapple I use my own legs as a shield since only upper-body hits matter: +5 defense I use my teammates bodies to construct a vehicle for myself, and dual-wield their weapons because as long as I win, we all win: +10 attack, +10 defense I completely ignore the enemy, their attacks, the devastating damage they are dealing to me and my team, and strike directly for their base, completely obliterating them, their way of life, and any chance they had at survival as a species: WIN Ender: The Original CharOpper and Power Gamer.
Shaman, Fey beast Tamer or beastmaster archer ranger.  Basically your choices - and Shaman is the only one which can easily make the BC Large as that is.  Possibly Druid if you don't mind shapeshifting between the two.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
A Beastmaster Ranger was the only thing I had considered so far, but I know it's not considered a very good class choice.

With the Shaman, doesn't the Spirit Companion kind of just take up space?  And what is the way it can increase the size of the spirit?

And what about a Druid (Sentinel)?  Don't they have an animal companion of sorts, as well?
Sig
Setting: Tomb with a perilous bridge and cliff 100 feet above a lava pit. Mummy pops out of his sarcophagus, initiative: Felix, Half-Elf Artificer: Twin Strike with crossbow. Trump (ala Donald), Eladrin Warlord: Charges mummy with Opening Shove, pushing off the cliff. Mummy fails saving throw, and falls into pit. Sanshiro (ala Japanese "superhero" Segata), Minotaur Barbarian: Strength check to lift sarcophagus and carry to cliff. Free action, drop sarcophagus into square above mummy. Sarcophagus drops on mummy, shoving him further down into lava. Mummy: proceeds to make a series of horrible athletics checks to swim and climb cliff. Dies a horrible death with lava permeating every orifice. Entire Party: Watches on in delight, faces alit with the glow of lava and flaming undead.
Original CharOpper
I soap myself up, and turn up the hot water in the shower, so my sweat mixes with the soap, slickening my skin: +5 to grapple I use my own legs as a shield since only upper-body hits matter: +5 defense I use my teammates bodies to construct a vehicle for myself, and dual-wield their weapons because as long as I win, we all win: +10 attack, +10 defense I completely ignore the enemy, their attacks, the devastating damage they are dealing to me and my team, and strike directly for their base, completely obliterating them, their way of life, and any chance they had at survival as a species: WIN Ender: The Original CharOpper and Power Gamer.
Nice minis

Sentinel has two companion options, and one of them is even a bear (although a refluffed wolf sounds like it would fit your description better). Sentinel also gets Combined Attack as an encounter power, which is pretty much what you described, but let me just say it's not an effective choice mechanically. The overall problem with Sentinel is that all of the weapon attacks are pretty horrible, and I'm not sure if you'll be able to use implement attacks (or even wnat to) unless maybe you get a ki focus.

Fey Beast Tamer could work really well. Go owlbear and he'll give you extra damage and combat advantage on anything next to him. Just go regular ranger and you can say Tiwn Strike is both of you each taking a swing. That's probably the most optimal route.
Nice minis

Sentinel has two companion options, and one of them is even a bear (although a refluffed wolf sounds like it would fit your description better). Sentinel also gets Combined Attack as an encounter power, which is pretty much what you described, but let me just say it's not an effective choice mechanically. The overall problem with Sentinel is that all of the weapon attacks are pretty horrible, and I'm not sure if you'll be able to use implement attacks (or even wnat to) unless maybe you get a ki focus.

Fey Beast Tamer could work really well. Go owlbear and he'll give you extra damage and combat advantage on anything next to him. Just go regular ranger and you can say Tiwn Strike is both of you each taking a swing. That's probably the most optimal route.

Get yourself a few more of those awesome minis and do it all. 

Fey Beast Tamer Beastmaster Ranger|Sentinel/Shaman.
Shaman SC has an OA. And Doesn't suck like a Sentinel.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
It's too bad there is no hybrid talent for a full Druid Season, Bear Companion and d12 Staff w/ Staff Expertise could be nice.

Could the Sentinel be turned into a "striker" by power swaping for ranger powers, maybe even paragon multi-class? Cherry pick the best powers? I don't know, just grasping at straws here. 
No, it couldn't. You'd be STR/CON/WIS and 90% of you would suck at everything.
No, it couldn't. You'd be STR/CON/WIS and 90% of you would suck at everything.

Okay, i'll move on from that fail.

Just for future reference, anytime you post a picture bigger than say 300 pixels wide, you should put it in spoiler blocks so it doesn't wreck the formatting of the rest of the page...

Show

Spoiler blocks are...
 [  sblock  ]
 image url
 [ /sblock ]
..but without any spaces inside the brackets.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

A model? High charisma, low intelligence, nice curves... 

Oh you mean that particuliar miniature? 
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
To increase the size of the shaman go worldspeaker and Great Elder.  Its a path that makes your SC large, which increases the number of enemies it can use worldspeakers command on, along with increasing the number of boosts you hand out that come from being next to your allies/penalties for being next to enemies.  It also increases the size of your spirit close burst powers if you take those.  That path has mostly good defense boosts for your allies.

If you want more of a offense or control focused build you have other options, but they won't make the spirit as big.
(Dwarf)Brawler Fighter w/ Axe who prones and utilizes Headsman's Chop+Werebear theme and Claw gloves.
(Dwarf)Brawler Fighter w/ Axe who prones and utilizes Headsman's Chop+Werebear theme and Claw gloves.

I think the bear and the dwarf are supposed to be separate entities.

Schitzo-Dwarf! ;)

I do realize this but since the minis are not attached you could use one while in your humanoid form and then when you transform you use the other.

Just offering another option and having some fun. 

I do realize this but since the minis are not attached you could use one while in your humanoid form and then when you transform you use the other.

Fair enough.  Makes more sense than the bear cavalry ideas, given the separate minis. Tongue Out

Fair enough.  Makes more sense than the bear cavalry ideas, given the separate minis.

Frankly i have no clue where the OP's going with this if any where at all, i'm just goofing around and wasting time. Maybe at somepoint i'll post a build for poops and chuckles.

Besides, not much else is going on in Char-OP these days. , except me probably misinforming people;) 

Fair enough.  Makes more sense than the bear cavalry ideas, given the separate minis.

Frankly i have no clue where the OP's going with this if any where at all, i'm just goofing around and wasting time. Maybe at somepoint i'll post a build for poops and chuckles.

Besides, not much else is going on in Char-OP these days. , except me probably misinforming people;) 

And yet, it's still one of the most active of the SFW boards I check regularly. Tongue Out

A Beastmaster Ranger was the only thing I had considered so far, but I know it's not considered a very good class choice.

The major issue with beastmaster ranger is that it doesn't do anything better than the other builds.  However, you can build a perfectly viable beastmaster archer that just ignores all the beast powers and takes normal ranger powers.  You will miss out on Battlefield Archer as your paragon path, and that's pretty much the best paragon path so you would be suboptimal, but there are other paths out there that are viable.  Just not as good.  Sharpshooter, for most, Sylvan Archer for elves.

The rest of the build options - other than that one restricted, very good PP - are pretty much equal.  Hunter style, archer style, and beastmaster style all support perfectly acceptable archer rangers, as long as grabbing the Battlefield Archer path isn't a priority.

If you're willing to go a fair ways into 'not optimal' (which probably wouldn't go so far as to be non-viable), you could try a dwarven rogue build with the fey beast tamer theme.  Refluff your handcrossbow to that pistol and grab Tunnel Stalker to sneak attack with the axe.
Out of all the options for an animal companion (FBT, Ranger(BM), Sentinel), which animal companion has the most damage output itself?
Sig
Original CharOpper
The shaman pet.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
Hm.  Looks like this isn't going to be a very viable build, unfortunately.  Oh well.
Sig
Original CharOpper
Which build?  Shaman, ranger, rogue, and any random FBT that is otherwise viable will all be fine.  Seeker maybe not - I haven't played one but the consensus is they're really bad at what they're supposed to do.

You won't match Shoot To Thrill with a beastmaster ranger, but unless you build it really badly, you'll make the minimum benchmarks.  Shaman is a perfectly acceptable leader choice.  And a mage with FBT is just as much a mage as one with a different theme.
You can meet benchmarks as a beast mastery ranger only if you choose non-beast powers. Having a plethora of properly scaling multi-attacks is how the ranger does what it does, the beast powers are not properly scaling and so become worse than Twin Strike by early Paragon.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
You can meet benchmarks as a beast mastery ranger only if you choose non-beast powers. Having a plethora of properly scaling multi-attacks is how the ranger does what it does, the beast powers are not properly scaling and so become worse than Twin Strike by early Paragon.

Yeah, I said that the first time around, and didn't repeat it in my second mention of beastmater builds.  Even with that problem though, you can build a beastmaster ranger, basically swapping the free feat and Prime Shot for a giant bag of furry hit points and tactical options.  Not a good trade, but not bad enough to make the character unplayable, if you have some reason (like nostalgia for old-school rangers, or like the OP a cool model you want to use) to want to play a character with an animal companion.
Well, the point of the build is for both models to be attacking.  Which would require Beast powers in the Rangers case, which as has been pointed out, are sub-playable.

The intent was to try and find ways for both the dwarf and the bear to be multiattackers, basically.  I didn't see a Ranger at-will that allowed both to attack.

I know the Sentinel has the combined attack, so that both it and the PC can attack, but it's also a Leader, rather than a Striker, which is what I'm trying to build.

As for the Shaman, there are powers that attack from the spirit companion, which could be flavored as the bear attacking, but nothing that really combines it.

I think what I might end up doing is just splitting it into 2 characters.  That would likely be the best way, as I can then build both of them individually with their own abilities, etc.

It's too bad it's so difficult for a PC to become large (and pretty much impossible to do on an at-will basis).
Sig
Original CharOpper
Well, the point of the build is for both models to be attacking.  Which would require Beast powers in the Rangers case, which as has been pointed out, are sub-playable.

The intent was to try and find ways for both the dwarf and the bear to be multiattackers, basically.  I didn't see a Ranger at-will that allowed both to attack.

I know the Sentinel has the combined attack, so that both it and the PC can attack, but it's also a Leader, rather than a Striker, which is what I'm trying to build.

As for the Shaman, there are powers that attack from the spirit companion, which could be flavored as the bear attacking, but nothing that really combines it.

I think what I might end up doing is just splitting it into 2 characters.  That would likely be the best way, as I can then build both of them individually with their own abilities, etc.

It's too bad it's so difficult for a PC to become large (and pretty much impossible to do on an at-will basis).

If you went for a Shaman or Warlord and had FBT you could always grant MBAs to the Bear via any enabling power you have. Perhaps look to hybrid some X(striker)|Shaman or Warlord. Not super optimal but you could try out a...
Dwarf FeyBeast Tamer Precient Warlord. Perhaps a Ranger|Warlord? The Feybeast works as an ally and while it doesn't have the best MBA it would still get an attack. You could also just go for a Two-Weapon Ranger w/FBT and call all your secondary attacks as coming from the bear, same would work with a Beast Mastery Ranger. Through most of heroic you could get by with a few of the Beast powers and then retrain as you go along. 
Visuals don't really tell all that much.

Dwarf could throw one ax, and then fight single weapon style.
Maybe the insane clown posse Theme, yes?

Bugbear ... the glowy fingernail polish, is a fluff text display of power abcd.
Who's the Warlord?  Either.
The "Bear" could be a mount some of the time.

Where's that 7 or 8 Bear build, from a few months ago?

Here comes your 19th forums breakdown ... ohh who's to blame, it ain't 5E driving you insane.

Another option is going Cavalier and taking the Level 4 alternative feature Summoned Steed, introduced in Dragon #393. And maybe grab one of the Improved Steed feats. You would of course have to refluff the described mount into a bear.

Note this isn't necessarily a GOOD option. You'd still have problems, like having difficulty find a way for both of you attack in the same round (MC Warlord and take the Prince of Knaves PP, so you would at least both attack on the same turn once an encounter?), and like being a Cavalier. But maybe still worth mentioning since it would let your ride your bear, and that's kind of cool.