changelings and unconsciousness

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
hi there,

this evening's session included a huge encounter with about 140+ monsters assaulting a keep and us breaking the siege. in the final moments, the party, my changeling character Paik included, ran into the keep and to safety. on the way there, Paik was hit by an ogre's javelin and slipped into unconsciousness, then picked up and carried the last few feet to safety.

here's the catch: she's in dwarf form trying to infiltrate the keep for reasons other than the primary party's and has basically just tagged along for the ride. none of the other characters is currently aware of her non-dwarvenness. she's good at keeping secrets and has done such a good job that even the elf with a ridiculously high Perception score won't be able to discover her unless she's really trying.

so, now for the question: does Paik slipping into unconsciousness trigger a change back into her basic changeling formor thus giving the game away, or will she wake up later (said elf also has a very high Heal  score...) still in dwarf form and with her disguise intact?

cheers! 
Depends. Would it be cool if she did? Then do so. Remember, you have full control over your character's story. My advice is: make it an interesting one!
If consciousness were required, then a Changeling would be revealed every time they slept.

In my games, Changelings are revealed by death or skin to skin contact with another Changeling (Changelings know the instant they touch another Changeling, but it is considered the height of rudeness for a Changeling to blow the whistle on another of their race). In my campaign, Changelings are Fae in addition to being Shapeshifters, so they are affected by magic that damages or reveals Fae in the way they would by magic that affects or reveals Shapeshifters.
Depends. Would it be cool if she did? Then do so. Remember, you have full control over your character's story. My advice is: make it an interesting one!

This. Plus, bring the other players in on the reveal. Would they find it interesting to play out their characters knowing but not saying anything? Or find it interesting to play out any conflicts that may arise from you working at cross purposes? By including the other players, you can be sure to choose an outcome that is fun for all.

No amount of tips, tricks, or gimmicks will ever be better than simply talking directly to your fellow players to resolve your issues.
DMs: Dungeon Master 101  |  Find Your GM Style  |  Structure First, Story Last  |  No Myth Roleplaying  |  5e Monster Index & Encounter Calculator
Players: Players 101  |  11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer  |  You Are Not Your Character  |  Pre-Gen D&D 5e PCs

Content I Created: Adventure Scenarios  |  Actual Play Reports  |  Tools

I'm Recruiting Players for a D&D 5e Game: Interested?  |  Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith

By the rules, no. It's explicitly stated in the 4th Edition rules.

But, as mentioned above, handle it the way the player thinks would be cool. And don't feel that a ruling in this case needs to apply universally - another 4th Edition innovation.

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.

Ask the DM.
A rogue with a bowl of slop can be a controller. WIZARD PC: Can I substitute Celestial Roc Guano for my fireball spells? DM: Awesome. Yes. When in doubt, take action.... that's generally the best course. Even Sun Tsu knew that, and he didn't have internets.
Sign In to post comments