Rude to quit after 1 game in Tournament Practice room?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm just wondering if people consider it rude to quit after one game in the Tournament Practice room? 

Sometimes I only feel like or have time for one game, and there is no way to set how many games you want to play per match.

Just curious on what the general consensus is. I don't want to be rude unintentionally, but I also don't want to have to start a chat every time if doing so is unnecessary....

Games in TP are generally matches because that's how tournaments are (your post makes it sound like games in TP are always matches, this may be the case - I don't think I've ever tried to set up just one game in there).  When I'm in there, I'm actually practicing for tournament play in an environment where I know everyone is bringing the best cards and their A game.  A big part of that type of play is sideboarding and strategy in games 2 and 3.  Having an opponent play only one game is fairly pointless to me as it doesn't really tell me how my deck operates against their deck.  This is especially true in more powerful formats like Classic and Legacy where game one against a certain deck (dredge or shops for example) is usually an auto-loss or auto-win.  The real meat of it for those match-ups especially comes in games 2 and 3 and that's what I want to work on.  I wouldn't be angry or block you or anything if you quit after game 1, but it's not the experience I'm looking for.

You're in a tough spot if you only want to play one game but you want to play with top tier decks.  TP players won't want to play just one game and Cas Cas players will just quit on you once they see you are playing a tournament deck (plus what's the point of playing your tournament deck against an 80-card Raging Goblin special?).  My best suggestion is join a clan so you can message a buddy and set up a quick "casual" game with tournament decks.

The beta does not allow to set up the number of games. Just for fun is always one game while tournament practice is always best of 3. The middle ground should be getting serious but that room is only available to people using the beta so there won't be that many people to play againts. When the beta becomes the live client there you will find what you are looking for.
Generally it is considered so.  One of the big offences is to play some sort of deck that generally has a fantastic game 1 but really struggles against sideboards - I'm looking at you, dredge.  I don't want to play a 1 game match against dredge - I pretty much know how that is going to end up.  The same go for any number of decks.

Might I suggest that if you only have time for one game, don't play in TP.  Read the news for 5 minutes instead or do some pushups or something. 

PS - IN 2.5, TP had to be a match, and it's the same in the new client.  It is only 3.0 where you can set up a single game in TP and i'm not crazy about that option.
Classic Quarter
(www.classicquarter.com)
TP is for players who are, you know, actually practicing for a tournament. They are not there to provide you with 5 minutes of entertainment. They want to use their time effectively to see how their sideboard handles various matchups - this isn't possible when players quit after game one, which of course is only a prelude to the "real" (sideboarded) matchups.
TP is for players who are, you know, actually practicing for a tournament. They are not there to provide you with 5 minutes of entertainment. They want to use their time effectively to see how their sideboard handles various matchups - this isn't possible when players quit after game one, which of course is only a prelude to the "real" (sideboarded) matchups.

I need to correct your wording ever so slightly. TP is for some players ... actually practicing for tourneys.  the key point being that some people come into to TP because they have found Juff too easy. Or they just want to play a full match with sideboarding for the fun of it. They aren't practicing for anything, they are merely playing to have fun with what they see as a more competitive group of players.

I realize to someone who is actually practicing for a tourney this may be irritating since they are there on very serious business (and how dare anyone not be???) In fact I suspect some of these rude players think the ones who demand adherence to the "unwritten rules" of fight cl- I mean TP are being rude themselves.

How many times has someone come into Juff (after playing a bit in TP) complaining about how the TP regulars were yelling at them for playing a card they don't think is good enough? (Way too many too enumerate. Almost as often as someone harrangues a person in Juff for bringing a  "Netdeck" and "why don't they take it to TP??".)

How else are rogue decks supposed to come about other than trying stuff out? So yelling at people for bringing original brews in TP is OK but quitting after game 1 isn't? I am someone who is concerned about etiquette and other people's enjoyment but even I see the double standard there.

But that is why there is a midway point room between Juff and TP in the beta. And I hope they find a better name eventually than "Getting Serious" because that still seems rather off-point. Hopefully this will all eventually resolve itself as people drift towards the middle.

Winter.Wolf

You mean like how they drifted toward the middle ground of "Anything Goes," AKA "The Only Thing This Gets Used For Is Player-Run-Events Room" in 3.0?  Good luck with that...
Mountain bikes are for slow people, and geckos are far better pets than cats & dogs! :D Officially licensed user of the term "GrammarChaos" (Thanks Tempesteye!) MPDC Season 3 Champion
You mean like how they drifted toward the middle ground of "Anything Goes," AKA "The Only Thing This Gets Used For Is Player-Run-Events Room" in 3.0?  Good luck with that...

I don't think 'Anything Goes' was aptly named for its intended purpose. That it was repurposed for PREs quite spontaneously is because there were no good rooms for PREs other than there. Happily that worked out for the better. I remain somewhat optimistic that people may find the middle ground in 'Getting Serious' as the guidance towards there should be better than the guidance to Anything Goes was. I expect the ORCs to not drop the ball this time when people complain about being unloved in Juff and TP.

Winter.Wolf

All I have taken there is brews and have yet to have someone yell at me.  I did play against someone who was playing something particularly bad, but I just played them and moved on.