Modern a format for beginners? Who cracked that joke?

37 posts / 0 new
Last post
The same thing that makes getting great decks in legacy and vintage also makes modern stupid.  To make any sort of competitve deck your shelling out near 1000 bucks.  My melirapod, even with me owning 4 verdent catacombs is still well over 800 dollars.

New players, if you are thinking about getting into modern, forget it, just play standard.  Shelling out hundreds of bucks for cards like thoughtsieze is just stupid.

This format is a joke.

-NW "Behold blessed perfection!" --Sheoldred, Whispering One
Wait, what? Who on earth told you that?
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
Cool story bro???

(at)MrEnglish22

Word I got they are releasing modern masters largely to bring new players to the game as the cardstock is allegedly less restrictive than standard.

This format is just as every bit exclusive to old players as vintage and legacy are.

Word I got they are releasing modern masters largely to bring new players to the game as the cardstock is allegedly less restrictive than standard.

This format is just as every bit exclusive to old players as vintage and legacy are.

Well, Modern Masters is indeed happening. That being said, Modern Masters isn't going to make everything magically cheap. Also, since people know about Modern Masters they have been buying up everything and causing prices to jack up for the tournament season. Modern is less restrictive because you have more options. You can play a variety of viable decks. Not just 3 or 4 that strangle the format. Well, except Jund. Because Jund.
While Modern Masters is designed to pull people into Modern, that doesn't make the format any cheaper.
But its still cheaper than Legacy or Vintage. 

(at)MrEnglish22

The same thing that makes getting great decks in legacy and vintage also makes modern stupid.  To make any sort of competitve deck your shelling out near 1000 bucks.  My melirapod, even with me owning 4 verdent catacombs is still well over 800 dollars.

New players, if you are thinking about getting into modern, forget it, just play standard.  Shelling out hundreds of bucks for cards like thoughtsieze is just stupid.

This format is a joke.

Do you even into mono green infect?

Modern is much cheaper than standard, because it doesnt rotate 

Modern Masters isn't trying to bring "new" players into the modern format. It's there to assist players who are interested in getting into the modern format. It helps to bridge the gap between standard and modern for those players who are ready to move on from standard. How it affects the prices of modern staples will probably be on a card by card basis. At mythic rare I doubt tarmogoyf is going to fall in value a lot, however, even at mythic rare it will affect availibility of the card some and should impact the price at least a little bit.

For example a player like me who plays mostly limited and dabbles in constructed get a chance of regularly drafting modern relevant cards which is a huge upside compared to most other sets. I think modern masters is a wonderful idea but that you've misinterpreted the intention.
Don't be too smart to have fun
HAHAHHA the op must be high.

T2 Your spending what about what 500$ for 1 deck that is worthless in a year.

You spend 800$ for pod? Verdant Catacombs is an 8$ card.

Pod is one of the cheepest decks to build next to burn affinity, goblins is cheaper than the already mentioned decks.

Melira Pod Combo  dosent even use goyf as its not needed.

Let me guess your one of thoes people that dont look for deals and just grabs cards like there going out of style.

Hell even some lists that youse bob dont even break 800$, so you are a moron.
I miss the old days.
Even if I get what OP is saying and I haven't found a <strong>Verdant Catacombs for less than 18, a Melira Pod combo can be bought for less than a 100.

Melira is a buck fifty.

Birthing pod is 4 bucks. 
HAHAHHA the op must be high.

T2 Your spending what about what 500$ for 1 deck that is worthless in a year.

You spend 800$ for pod? Verdant Catacombs is an 8$ card.

Pod is one of the cheepest decks to build next to burn affinity, goblins is cheaper than the already mentioned decks.

Melira Pod Combo  dosent even use goyf as its not needed.

Let me guess your one of thoes people that dont look for deals and just grabs cards like there going out of style.

Hell even some lists that youse bob dont even break 800$, so you are a moron.

I wanna shop where you can reliably find Catacombs for 8 a piece. Thats the price most stores buy them for.

(at)MrEnglish22

ebay where else would I shop?
I miss the old days.
$8 catacombs. yeah, okay. This thread is stupid and this is making it even worse. 
ebay where else would I shop?

In reality, where you don't regularly find 8 dollar catacombs.
We aren't talking about those 1 in a 1000 opportunities, we're talking about reality, where you generally find them for 16 on average.

(at)MrEnglish22

Ive seen them regularly at 15$, even my local shop.
I miss the old days.

That's great but completely unbelieveable. Using rates from 6 months ago isn't very helpful when trying to establish the amount of money it will take to play modern. 

Does your shop operate on the internet? I'd love to order a playset of Catacombs at half price.

(at)MrEnglish22

I'd say Modern is the next logical step after standard.

It isn't as cheap as standard (in most cases it isn't, see U/B infect for most of them) but Modern I still consider accessible. I managed (not really budget but eh......) a mono-green beats with huge typical green fatties that ramps into either Primal Surge or The Giant Floating Jellyfish of Doom. It works pretty effectively against Jund I noted, although further testing remains to be seen.

Also because the cards never rotate out of Modern, investments become much more valuable than a 2-year period, and it is the next "60-card sanctioned format" after standard.

I'd say it is only for rich, overenthusiastic beginners who've only experienced a rotation or two.
Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!
No they dont.

How much do you spend on t2 in a year?

It may take 2 years to save you rmoneys to get a modern legal deck but it wont go away unless theres a ban.

It may cost more in the short run but it wont stop being good.

T2 thats money wasted every 6 months.
I miss the old days.
Look... It's an eternal format. There's going to be a buy in. Folks like YT slowly build up our staples and stick to draft. Other folks plunk down the money all at once.

There's always a buy in, and the lower the maintenance costs are the higher the initial buy-in is.
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
ACtually modern is not an eternal format.

www.wizards.com/Magic/TCG/Resources.aspx...
I miss the old days.
See, you can point to a list of catagories, even one wizards has made and all that, but... Modern and EDH don't rotate things out. Hence, eternal.
76783093 wrote:
Even if I get what OP is saying and I haven't found a <strong>Verdant Catacombs for less than 18, a Melira Pod combo can be bought for less than a 100.

Melira is a buck fifty.

Birthing pod is 4 bucks. 

You're stoned.

1 Ethersworn Canonist $10
1 Phyrexian Metamorph $4
1 Spellskite $12
4 Birds of Paradise $24
2 Deathrite Shaman $30
1 Eternal Witness $5
4 Kitchen Finks $40
2 Murderous Redcap $4
1 Noble Hierarch $30
1 Orzhov Pontiff $2
1 Qasali Pridemage $1
1 Ranger of Eos $4
1 Reveillark $5
3 Viscera Seer (Negligable)
1 Wall of Roots $1
3 Melira, Sylvok Outcast $6

Lands (23)

3 Forest (Negligable)
1 Swamp (Negligable)
3 Gavony Township $6
1 Godless Shrine $15
4 Misty Rainforest $140
2 Overgrown Tomb $30
2 Razorverge Thicket $6
1 Temple Garden $15
4 Verdant Catacombs $100
2 Woodland Cemetery $20

Spells (9)

4 Birthing Pod $12
2 Abrupt Decay $6
3 Chord of Calling $30

Sideboard
1 Baneslayer Angel $15
1 Harmonic Sliver $2
1 Obstinate Baloth $1
1 Shriekmaw $2
2 Rule of Law $6
2 Dismember $2
1 Kataki, War's Wage $6
1 Linvala, Keeper of Silence $20
2 Lingering Souls (Negligable)
3 Thoughtseize $210

Grand total: $822.00 (rounded to nearest dollar.

You are a damn liar or a drooling fool if you think your going to build a competitive melira pod deck for a hundred bucks. Which one is it?

He either means a bad/fnm at best version or forgot a digit.

And, looking around, I was wrong about 'eternal'. Crap, we need a better turn of phrase than 'nonrotating'.

Look, it's never going to be a cheap format. Paper pauper is the only cheap format. You pay for your buy-in on one side or the other. Playing modern for two-three years will be cheaper than playing standard, it's just that the upfront cost is steep and budget versions will fail utterly abd miserably.

If storm hadn't been hosed you'd have some solace, but as things stand we're all stuck buying staples, and those staples consist of the best cards printed since the art change, some of which are legacy staples.
76783093 wrote:
We really need some different lands that can compete with the fetch + shocks.

M10 lands are a good start, as are the scars duals, but I would like some more interesting drawbacks as well as more interesting monocolored lands.
Scars fast lands are actually some of the best to put up a chance of competeing with fetches and shocks.
What we need the most is a massive influx of fetch lands. Providing a cheap easily accessible mana base will get players into the format more than anything else, I promise you that. 

(at)MrEnglish22

Good god. Anything that could drive out the need for fetch/shocks would be a) disgusting and b) would just drive the prices higher to enter the format.

Reprints of either sets of fetchlands in the next core set is about the best we can hope for.
76783093 wrote:
The painlands are probably the only affordable budget alternative that exists that doesn't suck.

Good god. Anything that could drive out the need for fetch/shocks would be a) disgusting and b) would just drive the prices higher to enter the format.

Why would another viable set of dual lands drive the price to enter the format higher? If the shocks/fetches become less necessary due to a new set of lands, wouldn't it decrease the price of the former?

I'm sure control decks would rather play a different set of dual lands if they could, because losing 3 life a turn only helps the faster deck.

Take RG tron: it runs Grove of the Burnwillows since it gives the opponent life rather than causing you to lose life.

Another set of viable duals would just give people even more perfect mana. They wouldn't reduce the price of fetches and shocks at all, simply provide another expensive alternative that you would have to buy.

RG Tron uses Grove because it doesn't matter if that deck's opponent gains 5 or 6 life when they are swinging for 15 a few times. 

(at)MrEnglish22

Scars fast lands are actually some of the best to put up a chance of competeing with fetches and shocks.
What we need the most is a massive influx of fetch lands. Providing a cheap easily accessible mana base will get players into the format more than anything else, I promise you that. 

Would be nice if Wizards reprinted all the fetches in one block, including the Onslaught ones.

Regardless, Modern doesn't seem that bad to me. Really, at this point it seems easier to sell the duals and stuff that I have and use the money to buy into Modern once I get to playing again, rather than finishing my Legacy buy-in with the current prices there.

But yeah, Magic is an expensive hobby. I thought that much was obvious. Modern still isn't the worst place to start a collection, because your collection won't be useless in a couple of years. What has always kept me from making a Standard deck - that it's a continuous investment and I can't just quit for a year or two and still play with my cards. 
I wouldn't mind Onslaught fetches being reprinted. It would make the mana bases for a lot of decks a lot better. Some of the fair decks have trouble in the meta because they don't have enough on color fetches for the deck. 
Plus, if it was printed in M14 we'd have perfect timing for things rotating to avoid getting *too* stupid and allied mana fixing from a core set does fit within what they generally aim for.
76783093 wrote:
Plus, if it was printed in M14 we'd have perfect timing for things rotating to avoid getting *too* stupid and allied mana fixing from a core set does fit within what they generally aim for.

Not gonna happen. Core sets are for beginners, and beginners don't wanna lose life. That was their reasoning for not reprinting the shocklands in core sets too, even though theyr originally planned on doing so.
Core sets cannot have reprints of such sought after cards like Fetchlands. It would completely destroy the value of the old ones. I am for adding more fetches to the existing pool but not that many. 
Except core sets aren't for the nubs anymore.

In they went old shocks, yeah, it'd flood the market... around the time m15 hit. Ditto for the new. You'd see more flooding in the former catagory but we'd see a much bigger difference between old and new in terms of value. Legacy would see a dramatically lower barrier to entry, but we're still looking at maybe 5% drop tops.

And hey, if they were free we're still talking about a grand to buy into the bg shell.

It'd make different bottleneck be the barrier to entry, but there'd still be a buy-in, and the Zen lands at least woild fit perfectly the stated intent of modern.

The old schocks are still sitting at 2x/$10 over the new. The pimp facter matters and in any case t2 would add a cooldown to any price fluctations.
76783093 wrote:
Except core sets aren't for the nubs anymore.

[citation needed]

They're still there to introduce new players to the game. Wizards just realised that sets full of reprints didn't sell as well, so they mashed in some new cards so everyone could be forced to spend money on it.

EDIT: Oh, and anyone complaining about potential loss in value needs to relax. Unless you were buying these cards with the specific intent of selling them, you didn't lose anything. Your "investment" was never protected by anyone, and if you bought the cards to play with them and are worried that you might lose value upon selling them later and think that Wizards should protect your right to make back the money you spent on cardboard years ago, you're an idiot. If you buy a new car or computer, do you expect to get your money back later? Why is this different?

As someone who owns and has paid for plenty of Onslaught fetches and whatnot, I am only happy at the prospect of reprints. The money is gone anyways. If you feel bad over money you already spent, then you probably shouldn't have spent it in the first place.
They already said they don't plan to reprint the Onslaught fetches in a modern set because they consider the mana to be too good already.

Also, what Renasce says about value of investments for people buying cards with the intent to play with them os spot on 

(at)MrEnglish22

Sign In to post comments