New Orleans (Mono blue Bounce Control)

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Introduction

New Orleans is a mono blue deck that controls the board primarly with bounce effect cards. New Orleans wins by utilizing cards that punish our opponent for having a lot of cards in their hand or punishing them by abusing card draw effects. While the deck is Modern legal, it is very budget friendly and designed for kitchen table casual matches. While the deck can perform in multiplayer games, it performs much better in versus games. The deck's name is based on New Orleans, a costal city in which a genre of music called "bounce music" was created.                                                                                                            
Card Choices 

These three cards are our win conditions. Ebony Owl Netsuke is our primary win condition, it punishes our opponent for having a full hand. Ebony Owl Netsuke is a great choice because it is easy to cast, doesn't target a player (gets around stuff like Leyline of Sanctity), and stacks in multiples. Late game, Sturmgeist will be swinging for 7, sometimes even more. It also brings us card advantage which is very important in this deck (more on that later). Psychosis Crawler is very scary in this type of deck, it can defeat our opponent in just a few turns by itself due to its second ability.

These four cards are our bounce effects. Boomerang really doesn't need an introduction, it's our best bounce spell by far. It hits everything including planeswalkers and even lands, in addition to that it is instant speed! Usually we will be using this spell early game to bounce lands to slow down our opponent. Eye of Nowhere is a sorcery speed Boomerang which is still very good, this is a very underrated card in my opinion. Echoing Truth hits most things but because of it's ability is best suited for tokens and multiple cards like Oblivion Ring. Cyclonic Rift is another solid bounce spell that late game we can overload to do dramatically set back our opponent's board state. 

These cards bring us our card advantage. Card advantage is incredibly important in this deck because we always want to have bounce spells in our hand. Howling Mine is an awesome classic, it gives us more cards, and it keeps our opponents hand full also which works well with  Ebony Owl Netsuke. Kami of the Crescent Moon is Howling Mine on a stick and a blocker we you need one. Font of Mythos is Howling Mine on crack.

The deck uses other control options aside from bounce effects. Mana Leak doesn't need an introduction but it really excels here because we are going to be bouncing a lot of lands. Frozen Aether slows down our opponents dramatically and is great technology against hasty decks.

Nothing fancy with the land base here. Islands need no introduction. Mikokoro, Center of the Sea is a poor man's Howling Mine, but it's on a land so that's cool (can't be countered, free to initally drop, can draw us a card the turn in comes into play, etc.).

How to play the deck and dealing with certain match ups. Similar to many other control decks, New Orleans likes to go first. Generally speaking this deck wants to bounce lands early game as long as possible and should strongly consider mulliganing a hand that doesn't have a Boomerang or Eye of Nowhere. Bouncing lands early game will prevent our opponent from doing anything (espeically against multi colored decks) while we get to set up our landbase so we can do things like play our card advantage plays without our opponent building up his board.

An ideal play would be to play and Island and pass the turn to an opponent who also does not have a one drop. On our second turn we drop another Island and Boomerang their land. On their second turn they play a land as pass again. Then we drop another land and Eye of Nowhere their land. At this point we have 3 lands on the board and they have zero. They'll play a land again, and if we can't bounce it again on our next turn we'll play something like a Howling Mine, if we were fortunate enough to draw another land, we'll have 4 lands which means when they play their second land we can bounce their creature. Even if we don't have the forth land, we'll have the card advantage and land advantage. At this rate we are so ahead of our opponent, with the card draw we'll continue to draw control and eventually our win conditions and it will be very difficult for our opponent to keep up.

Be cautious about when to use which bounce spell. If you anticipate your opponent running dupicates of several cards or creatures then try to only use Echoing Truth in those scenarios. The best example would be playing against a token deck. Nothing is more hillarious than playing Echoing Truth right after our opponent casted Increasing Devotion or Lingering Souls followed by a flashback. Use your counters wisely because we only have so many. Generally we are going to counter early to mid game, but only counter the most dangerous threats or cards that give our opponents tremendous positioning, other stuff we can bounce later. Examples of things I would prioritize Mana Leaking include tutors, burn spells, and perhaps most importantly, anything with shroud or hexproof. Burn is a tough match up to deal with, especially the hasty stuff and the very low mana curve. Against these decks we should try to cast Frozen Aether as soon as possible and use our counters very wisely. Playing against other control decks can be very tedious. Discard can be very painful, don't forget to respond and cast a Boomerang if you can, that will often be the best spell for our opponent to make us discard. Bait out counters well (we only have so many win conditions) and continue to hit their land base.

There certainly are other options that work in New Orleans that are definitely worth mentioning. If you wanted to take this deck in a different direction you can splash red, that makes the deck far less grindy and allows you to run stuff like Runeflare Trap. Remand is a great counter, and often better than Mana Leak here because it brings us more card advantage while keeping their hand full, keep in mind it's a $5 uncommon. Rune Snag is also a solid counter. Gigadrowse and Sleep are solid options that keeo our opponents threats tapped. Vapor Snag is a bounce spell that pings our opponent and ony costs 1 mana to cast, keep in mind it only hits creatures. Cephalid Constable is a creature that is essentially Boomerang on a stick. Overbeing of Myth is another win condition beater and in some cases is better than Sturmgeist because of you get the card advantage without dealing damage. Sunken Hope is worth considering, especially if you are running a less creature heavy build. is massive bounce, but keep in mind it bounces our non-creature permanents also. Reliquary Tower is worth considering for your land base, but I don't think it's necessary. Glaring Spotlight, a new friend from Gatecrash, is worth considering because we can't bounce hexproof creatures without it.

The Deck

Bounce (16)
4x Boomerang
4x Eye of Nowhere
4x Echoing Truth
4x Cyclonic Rift
Card Draw (8)
4x Howling Mine
3x Kami of the Crescent Moon
1x Font of Mythos
Other Control (6)
4x Mana Leak
2x Frozen Aether
Win Condition (8)
4x Ebony Owl Netsuke
2x Sturmgeist
2x Psychosis Crawler
Land (22)
21x Island
1x Mikokoro, Center of the Sea

Thanks for taking the time to read over this deck, I would really appreciate some feedback on how I can make this deck stronger (without breaking the bank) along with what is good about the deck as it stands. I am especially interested in hearing about more win conditions that are not creatures. I would imagine there are some cards I'm overlooking, but please keep in mind I want to keep the deck mono blue and Modern legal. After hearing your thoughts on the deck I will edit the original thread with match up analysis and tips on playing the deck well.
I don't bite, don't hesitate to message me if you have any questions or thoughts about deck ideas I post or anything Magic the Gathering related. My Causal Modern Decks Swag Flu (Mono Black Infect) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788619/Swag_Flu_(Mono_Black_Infect) American Super Friends (White/Blue/Red Planeswalker Control) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29772319/American_Super_Friends_(Budget_WhiteBlueRed_Planeswalker_Control) Hong Kong (White/Red Norin Tokens)http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29636557/Hong_Kong_(WhiteRed_Norin_Tokens)
I don't really know how much card draw you get exactly, but I think you probably need Reliquary Tower or spellbook. Btw, I really like the names for your deck. Quite creative.
Dude! Please Learn How to Autocard!
To Autocard individual cards type [c*]Into the Maw of Hell[/c*] and remove the asterisks to get Into the Maw of Hell or Stuffy Doll. Ta-Da! Autocarded! When Autocarding a deck type: Yay! Now people are actually look at your decklist properly and help you improve it! Excellent! You can tell that I love exclamation marks!
Basics to Building a Solid Deck
1. Try to run playsets of cards (meaning 4 of a card). This way your deck will win more consistently and you will draw your better cards more often. 2. Make sure to focus your deck on one single idea that can win you the game and make sure all the cards in your deck contribute to that idea. You have a limited number of cards so make sure all of them count. For example, your deck could be a Elf Tribal deck, an Aggro aggressive deck or maybe a Control deck. 3. Card advantage is very important. You need to understand that cards the draw you more cards are extremely helpful. The more cards you have in your hand the more options you have. With more options you have a greater chance at winning the game. 4. Removal is also quite important. Most decks more or less should run at least some removal. 5. Last but not least, make sure your deck is exactly 60 cards! Even 61 is not acceptable. Good luck in deck building!
I put a lot of work into this, I really would like some more feedback guys, please.

Yeah, I'm finding in testing, that even when I'm drawing a lot of cards, I'm always bouncing lands or something. I might add one Reliquary Tower though, I still want to be able to consistently play double blue on turn two. I'm glad you like my deck names, I try to mix it up and do something esoteric and a little funny.
I don't bite, don't hesitate to message me if you have any questions or thoughts about deck ideas I post or anything Magic the Gathering related. My Causal Modern Decks Swag Flu (Mono Black Infect) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788619/Swag_Flu_(Mono_Black_Infect) American Super Friends (White/Blue/Red Planeswalker Control) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29772319/American_Super_Friends_(Budget_WhiteBlueRed_Planeswalker_Control) Hong Kong (White/Red Norin Tokens)http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29636557/Hong_Kong_(WhiteRed_Norin_Tokens)
I was half expecting a hurricane deck...but that would be in bad taste. ;)

My experience with mass draw is that it is always bad to give your opponents cards. If you use arcane laboratory, you can limit the number of spells they play. You can also use words of wind to bounce stuff with all of that draw. You'd need to watch out for decks that produce lots of mana, as they will more than likely be able to recast everything you bounce next turn.
HOW TO AUTOCARD! When posting in a text box, type [c]Plains[/c] to make your post showPlains.
Are you making a casual mill deck? Please read.
Control is the key of a mill deck. You should free up your mana as much as possible so that you can respond to whatever your opponent is doing. Having some way to remove threats, both real and percieved, is necessary to survival. Real threats are those that are already on the field, and are something a simple unsummon or doom blade can remove. Percieved threats are those that aren't on the field, something a simple duress or counterspell can deal with. Controlling the board will allow your mill deck to continuously perform, if you use permanent style mill, that is. One-Shot Mill spells are something you should avoid. You can toss tome scours at your opponent until your hand runs out, but that isn't going to be enough to mill them to death. With 1-shot mill spells, like tome scour, you have to treat them like burn spells. Therefore, the only "good" 1-shot mill spells are sanity grinding (in the right deck) and mind funeral. Try to find more permanent styles of milling, like memory erosion, hedron crab, and curse of the bloody tome, so that you don't have to waste your mana each turn doing something that those permanents can do with a single mana/turn investment. Keeping your mana open allows you to respond with control elements. ​Traumatize Rant​. Traumatize is a terrible card for a multitude of reasons. First, it costs 5 to cast, which is a large investment for a mill deck. Milling half a library sounds neat, but if you do the math, it really isn't that much. An average 60 card deck starts with drawing 7 cards. Then, barring any draw spells on their end, or ramp on yours, 5 turns will go by, where they draw 5 more cards, leaving 48 in the deck. Unless they had a deck with more than 60 cards, or you ramped it out, the most you'll ever mill with a single Traumatize on turn 5 is 24 cards. That's not too shabby, but hang on, there's more! If they drew any additional cards or if they were milled before turn 5, that number will be much lower. In addition, any more Traumatize's you draw will only mill less and less as the game goes on...which is the point of a mill deck. My whole point on Traumatize is the it is NOT worth the 5 mana investment, not even with haunting echoes. You can mill more than 24 before turn 5...which you can then cast the echoes. If you look at a mill deck like a burn deck, you'll notice that it takes longer to win with mill than with burn. For example, lightning bolt costs 1 and does 3 out of the 20 damage needed to win (barring any lifegain or damage prevention). For mill, that same investment of 1 would have to mill 9 cards out of an average 60 card deck to be the equivilent of lightning bolt. The problem is that there is no mill card that can do that...except hedron crab, over a period of time. The initial investment of 1 will pay off in 3 more land drops to make the crab equal to a bolt. However, the crab nets you more mill beyond those 3 land drops, making it better as the game draws on. Other cards, like curse of the bloody tome, are excellent ways of milling an opponent because the initial investment of is all you have to pay in order to put your opponent on a clock. All you have to do is stay alive, which is the true goal of a mill strategy. There are other ideas for mill decks that are specific to certain types of strategies. Combo mill decks can mill an entire player's library out from under them. Secondary mill strategies are usually tied to another strategy, like drowner of secrets in a merfolk deck, or halimar excavator in an ally deck. Milling can be done in certain decks that are able to ramp out enough mana to make use of the higher costing mill spells, like using 16 post to pay for X on sands of delirium or for ambassador laquatus. Multiplayer mill decks are even tougher to build, but can be done. Being a slower environment, it is easier to ramp in multiplayer, allowing for big X spells, like mind grind, to be useful. Consuming aberration is another star player. The more straightforward strategy is to use mesmeric orb and dreamborn muse while being the only deck at the table that can deal with it. There are always new strategies coming out with each set, so check gatherer for any new mill cards that you find to be the most fun for you! Now you can say that you haven't fallen into the trap that most new players fall into when they build their first mill deck!

My experience with mass draw is that it is always bad to give your opponents cards.

I don't think this is true. If this were the case, Turbo Fog wouldn't be a thing.

Arcane Laboratory and Words of Wind are both great spells but they aren't Modern legal.  However, I am considering splashing white for Rule of Law or even Curse of Exhaustion. Any thoughts on that?
White would work for control with festival and siren's call and Orim's Chant. You could also punish them if they try to play the many spells they have in their hand. Something, spelltithe enforcer. I dont know, make it like a deck where you bounce all their cards back to their hand and make sure they can't play them again. Something like that would be cool. White Blue control.

EDIT: Oh, and silence is osm. Plus dawn charm as counterspell or like a fog or holy day.  
To Autocard individual cards type [c*]Into the Maw of Hell[/c*] and remove the asterisks to get Into the Maw of Hell or Stuffy Doll. Ta-Da! Autocarded! When Autocarding a deck type: Yay! Now people are actually look at your decklist properly and help you improve it! Excellent! You can tell that I love exclamation marks!
1. Try to run playsets of cards (meaning 4 of a card). This way your deck will win more consistently and you will draw your better cards more often. 2. Make sure to focus your deck on one single idea that can win you the game and make sure all the cards in your deck contribute to that idea. You have a limited number of cards so make sure all of them count. For example, your deck could be a Elf Tribal deck, an Aggro aggressive deck or maybe a Control deck. 3. Card advantage is very important. You need to understand that cards the draw you more cards are extremely helpful. The more cards you have in your hand the more options you have. With more options you have a greater chance at winning the game. 4. Removal is also quite important. Most decks more or less should run at least some removal. 5. Last but not least, make sure your deck is exactly 60 cards! Even 61 is not acceptable. Good luck in deck building!
White would work for control with festival and siren's call and Orim's Chant. You could also punish them if they try to play the many spells they have in their hand. Something, spelltithe enforcer. I dont know, make it like a deck where you bounce all their cards back to their hand and make sure they can't play them again. Something like that would be cool. White Blue control.

EDIT: Oh, and silence is osm. Plus dawn charm as counterspell or like a fog or holy day.  

Festival, Siren's Call and Orim's Chant all are not Modern legal. Some of the other cards you recommended are cool, but certainly aren't for a mono blue deck, but for what it's worth they scream Turbo Fog which I am in love with.
Sorry, didn't catch you're making it modern legal. Sorry. If you do decided to go out of modern and make a deck to bounce all their permanents back to their and then shut them down so they can play spells, azor's elocutors could be a nice wincon with prolieferate. Turbo Fog is awesome. 
I really don't know why people aren't responding to this deck but something must be terribly wrong with it, I'm still looking for feedback.

@BobbertZhubert: Azor's Elocutors is really cute, but it's really tough to prevent your opponent from playing a removal spell for a whole 4-5 turns, especially when he doesn't hit the board for another 5 turns. 
Yeah, I know. azor's elocutors only works when you build a deck around it. Idk why people are commenting. I really like your decks but you know that I dont know as much as other people about magic and cant help you a ton.
I love to use Forced Fruition to punish my opponents for playing spells.
This deck needs isochron scepter. It will let you bounce every turn and drive your opponents nuts.
Sign In to post comments