Superheros for the guild pact

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just a fun idea I had...

If superheros of comics where in one of the guilds or at least fit into a color pair which superheros would fit in where? If can be your favorite superhero or whatever
*Added information: You can also add in any fictional character that you like, not just limited to superheros
The Hulk would be definitely in Gruul!

A typical   trying to get somewhere in the Multiverse, allons-y?

DOCTOR WHO OOOOOOOOEEOOOOOOOO OOOOOOEEOOOOOOO (I'm weird, cant help it)

Famous Quotes:

144543765 wrote:
I was browsing through some cards in gatherer and I noticed something really odd - the transforming cards from Innistrad like Mayor of Avabruck have separate comments and ratings for each side. Isn't that totally stupid? It feels as senseless as having two different pages for each side of a split card or having different pages for Nimble Mongoose with and without threshold.

56965528 wrote:
*mutters under his breath* Squinty's Wife: "What was that!?!?" Umm, I said.... umm..... ahhh.... *another smack upside the head* Squinty's Wife: "Care to try again?" *shakes head vigerously* Squinty's Wife: "That's better." ~SE++ *whimpering*

Current deck goals:

NON-AGGRO, NON-MONO RED deck (Not getting very far with it though)

Standard mono red deck for FNM next Friday

The Hulk would be definitely in Gruul!

Ooooooh yeah lol
I think that's a bit awkward because Bruce Banner is most definitely Simic.

Superman is probably Boros or Azorius.
The first character that comes to mind for Azorius is Inspector Javert. Granted, he's not much of a bureaucrat, but his devotion to the law certainly reflects that of the guild, and his significant self-improvement while growing up adds some hints of blue to an otherwise textbook white character.

For Orzhov, the obvious answer would be Don Corleone or another character from a mafia movie. But since I hate obvious answers, I'm instead going to go with Claude Frollo from The Hunchback of Notre-Dame. A very moral man, certainly, but he considers any means justified to purge evil. (For those of you noticing a pattern: it's actually accidental. That said, there probably will be more Victor Hugo characters on this list.)

I really wanted to put a Teen Titan on the list, since I loved (and still love) that show, and I feel that Raven is a pretty good fit for Dimir. She employs dark magic with an undeniably evil source, but does it to better the world. She's intellectual and doesn't shy away from the uglier facts of life. She does have some morals, but not nearly as many as the rest of her team. And she wears a blue cape over a black leotard, so really, how can you deny it~?

...And while I'm at it: Cyborg is a clear fit for the Izzet. His knowledge of and interest in technology is very blue; his passion and enthusiasm are very red. (I'd put each Titan into a slot, but Starfire and Robin don't really fit into any colour pairing.)

I'm not too fond of how the Rakdos portray black-red. It's a valid depiction, don't get me wrong, but I'd rather show a more sympathetic side of the colour combination: Éponine Thénardier (hey, there's Hugo again). She's primarily motivated by her love for Marius (red), but doesn't care very much about his feelings on the matter (black). Trying to get someone killed so you can be together in death is a selfish, selfish form of love.

The hyenas from The Lion King are the best Golgari example I could come up with. They're amoral scavengers, but only because that's their place in the ecosystem (or should I say the circle of life). Their motivation isn't power or selfishness: they're just starving. Honestly, I was rooting for them more than I was for Simba.

I mentioned earlier that Starfire and Robin don't fit into any guild. Beast Boy, on the other hand, does. He's emotional and acts on his whims most of the time, but also has a certain 'live and let live' attitude about him — and, of course, he transforms into a variety of animals. Gruul all the way.

Terry Pratchett's character of Sam Vimes would work well in the Boros Legion. He's moral, dutiful and dedicated, but don't count on him to play by the rules, and certainly don't expect him to respect authority. There's a bit of black in him as well, but red and white are the primary colours here, and he certainly would fit right into the guild they represent.

I suppose no online forum thread would be complete without a mention of My Little Pony, so I'll just get it out of the way: Fluttershy is Selesnya. If you care about MLP, you already know why. If you don't care, you probably don't want to know why. So moving on to the last guild...

...and for Simic, I picked Griffin from The Invisible Man. Admittedly, he is more blue than green, but the fact that he wanted to improve things that already existed — specifically, humans — does give him a hint of green. Plus he goes insane, which isn't a very blue thing to do.

My friends and I actually once tried to figure out what X-Men character each planeswalker corresponded to. We all agreed Koth was obsessed with defeating a great evil that was already eradicated once and could control metal. After that, it all fell apart.

139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
For Rakdos I want to say "Hellboy" but as the Rakdos isn't really a "good guy" group per se, I think Jack Kirby's "The Demon" (Etrigan) would probably be a better fit.

For Selesnya probably Animal Man.

For Golgari probably Swamp Thing.

For Azorius probably Nick Fury, Agent of Shield.

For Gruul someone already said The Incredible Hulk.  That's a *smash*-dunk.

For Boros maybe Daredevil.

For Dimir probably Mystique.

For Orzhov probably Deadman or the Gentleman Ghost.

For Izzet probably Spiderman.

For Simic probably Aquaman.
For Simic probably Aquaman.

No, Aquaman isn't blue or green. He's black and lives on Kamigawa.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
Aquaman isn't One with Nothing.   He's One with the Ability to Telepathically Communicate with Fish.  That's like a micron better than nothing, which I can only assume is the effect of power creep.  In the right deck (duh, Noble Fish), he could be broken .   
Aquaman isn't One with Nothing.   He's One with the Ability to Telepathically Communicate with Fish.  That's like a micron better than nothing, which I can only assume is the effect of power creep.  In the right deck (duh, Noble Fish), he could be broken .   

Like Chimney Imp then!

Hey, I can think of a few uses for One with Nothing.

Aquaman could be green, but, I got nothing. No matchup seems like "a job for Aquaman".
139359831 wrote:
I can see Robin in Boros. He is aggressive and passionate about fighting for justice and leads the team titans like a general in an army.

Starfire is hard to define so the nest I can say is that she too is passionate, lively and shoots energy beams (red) however her second color may reflect that she has a strong sense of community both with her teammates and her home planet (white) so I'll say she's a toned down, feminine Boros as well.

Maybe Rakdos? Not "kill for the lulz" Rakdos, but they are very hedonistic, and she wants to experience everything. (And the New 52 has made her the one-dimensional fanservice girl, much as I hate it.)

139359831 wrote:
That is a possibility. I'm not a big fan of how Rakdos was depicted as the :brm: guild but I can see her in that sense.
That is a possibility. I'm not a big fan of how Rakdos was depicted as the :brm: guild but I can see her in that sense.

They're supposed to be into all sorts of sensations.

It's easy to see Orzhov as the Hellfire Club, while we're here.
139359831 wrote:
Movie Avengers:

Ironman: Izzet, easily. He's a scientist, so faily :U: there, but his over all personality seems to be more :R:/:B:, but :B: generally seems too evil for him and Dimir would be a horrible fit, as would Rakdos.

Bruce Banner/Hulk: Simic/Gruul, respectively.

Captain America: Obviously a :W: personality, and not selesnya or Orzhova. I personally see him as more of an arrester for Azorius ,but Boros could be a pretty good fit as well.

Thor: Boros. His powers are boros and he's from a fairly war-like race. No doubt that Thor's Boros.  

Black Widow: Dimir would be the obious choice, but I don't actually see her working for a guild that corrupt. Golgari might be a close second, but I mostly see her as guildless, likely selling her skills to the highest bidder.

Hawkeye: not sure.
X-men time! Storm... possibly Gruul. She can control the weather with her emotions which is very

Cyclops is Boros, basically a combat leader of the group

Wolverine is Golgari... instinctively yet mostly cares about himself. Also possibly Gruul or Rakdos.

Jean Grey is probably Izzet in that she is passionate but her powers are all mental.

Gambit definitely Dimir. He is witty and cunning (blue) while only looking out for himself.

Nightcrawler is definitely white but possibly either Seleanya or Orzhov due to his faith.

Magneto is definitely Orzhov. He cares about mutant kind but wants control of the world and has a group who is strongly loyal to him.

Xavier is probably Azorius as he wishes to maintain peace using his telepathy and reasoning skills.

Iceman is Izzet... he uses powers that are very blue but is known to freely express himself. That's it for now...
Ironman: Izzet, easily. He's a scientist, so faily :U: there, but his over all personality seems to be more :R:/:B:, but :B: generally seems too evil for him and Dimir would be a horrible fit, as would Rakdos.

How is Tony Stark not black? He's a billionaire defense contractor!

Also, he's an engineer, not a scientist. Just pointing out that, despite over nine thousand Hollywood movies saying those are the same thing, they're not.

@Prince: I saw Magneto as more Boros. He's trying to prevent the same thing that happened to him from happening again. It just happens he falls into the Tautological Templar trope; I'm right, and if you don't agree with me (whatever I do with that), you're either naïve or just another Nazi. Actually, X-Men fans debate if he's a villain or just a tragic hero.

Now, Fabian Cortez is Orzhov. But he also Starscreams Magneto, takes over his band of fanatics, and is the mutant supremacist Magneto's always portrayed as in the various cartoons.
139359831 wrote:

Well, working off of Movie!Stark (Since we need some common reference frame across his myriad interpretations by quite a few different writers) I'd say the main point here is that he's just not selfish enough. Sure, he does the whole 'rich playboy' thing, but he does so in more of impulsive desires rather than greed. He seems most interested in fiddling with things and playing around rather than amassing personal power.

Iron Man 1's Ironmonger or Avenger's Loki is a better instance of I think, and by comparing them you can see how Stark really doesn't fit that mold.

I'd also put Magneto (Working from a combination of movies and XMen Evolution since that's most of what I know) as rather than mainly because of the selfishness of his cause. He is working for a group, but his methods indicate that he believes the lives of anybody outside his group to be forfeit.
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
X-men time! Storm... possibly Gruul. She can control the weather with her emotions which is very

Cyclops is Boros, basically a combat leader of the group

Wolverine is Golgari... instinctively yet mostly cares about himself. Also possibly Gruul or Rakdos.

Jean Grey is probably Izzet in that she is passionate but her powers are all mental.

Gambit definitely Dimir. He is witty and cunning (blue) while only looking out for himself.

Nightcrawler is definitely white but possibly either Seleanya or Orzhov due to his faith.

Magneto is definitely Orzhov. He cares about mutant kind but wants control of the world and has a group who is strongly loyal to him.

Xavier is probably Azorius as he wishes to maintain peace using his telepathy and reasoning skills.

Iceman is Izzet... he uses powers that are very blue but is known to freely express himself. That's it for now...

In many of these cases, you're confusing the color combinations with the guilds and the hero's power with their personality. 

Jean cares nothing for science and therfor would not be in the Izzet league. Same goes with Iceman. I really can't peg either of them though. Perhaps Jean could be Azorius? I don't really know...

Wolverine's in it for himself, but he also has a pack mentality and is also willing to do anything to protect his family (the X-men usually). This, combined with his anger would suggest Red rather than black. I'm honestly not even sure what purpose he would serve the Golgari anyway. His attitude would narrow it down to Rakdos, Gruul, or maybe Boros on a good day. The whole pack mentality thing would put him in gruul, because despite being a loner, he still wants a family.

Gambit's greedy, sure. However, he's neither stealthy, nor manipulative enough for Dimir who are made up of primarily spies and assaassins. I'd peg him as Orzhov since most of his greed is monetary. Possibly Rakdos though?

Nightcrawler wants to be selesnyan, but they attack him on sight. They will never accept one of Rakdos' Devils into the conclave. So he sits, silently worshipping from afar, knowing that he will never be accepted for who he is, or for what he is.

I can't actually picture Magneto in any guid unless he's in charge. Despite being :W:/:B: in personality, his ideals don't really line up with Orzhov. Knowing him, he'd most likely be leading the Gateless.

As for professor X, I'm going to throw a curve ball and say... Gruul. Professor X wants peace, the Azorius Senate wants control. Now, what does professor X do? He helps the disenfranchised, society's outcasts. Just like the Gruul. While he's physically weak (due in part to his legs) and is opposed to violence, he would likely be seen as a wise elder. Alternatively, he could be Simic due to his research into mutation and evolution.

In addition to what Dragon Nut said, I would like to point out that the Izzet built most of the Boros' high tech weapons, so the defense contractor thing actually makes him fit in more with the Izzet.  If Tony was :B:, he likely would have sold the Iron-Man armor out of greed, but he didn't because he was afraid of it being used to hurt people which is Whitee (unless he really just likes the thrill of being a superhero :R. Tony also showed a level of selflessness in The Avengers when he was willing to sacrifice himself. His acts of selflessness outweigh his acts of selfishness and he doesn't even seem to be that ambitious as far as his company goes.
I would say put Professor X in Simic over Gruul. I mean that man is a telepath... definite blue
Batman is his own guild.
Indeed he is
I would say put Professor X in Simic over Gruul. I mean that man is a telepath... definite blue

You're probably right, I was mostly thinking of him as sometype of honorary Gruul or something, being there more out of a need to help the outcasts of society than actually belonging there.
Well, working off of Movie!Stark (Since we need some common reference frame across his myriad interpretations by quite a few different writers) I'd say the main point here is that he's just not selfish enough. Sure, he does the whole 'rich playboy' thing, but he does so in more of impulsive desires rather than greed. He seems most interested in fiddling with things and playing around rather than amassing personal power.

Yeah, but Iron Man (the comic) was mostly started because Spider-Man, the Hulk, and the X-Men were all hippie icons, and in the case of the last two, obvious left-wing political slant (by 60s standards) is obvious. The John Birchers were complaining, and just a decade before that, comics had been a source of moral panic anyway. So in a very real way, Iron Man is capitalism.

I want to put Captain America in blue. Mostly because he's a World War II one, created specifically to contrast with the Nazis' attitude about nature versus nurture.

I'd also put Magneto (Working from a combination of movies and XMen Evolution since that's most of what I know) as rather than mainly because of the selfishness of his cause. He is working for a group, but his methods indicate that he believes the lives of anybody outside his group to be forfeit.

Oddly, the more that I think about it, Magneto would agree with the ideals of the Gruul more than any other guild.
139359831 wrote:

For Selesnya probably Animal Man.

with Inklings of Dimir?