Google Maps Eberron

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm a software developer by trade. I like programming. Computers make my job as a DM easier. One thing I've always wanted for my campaigns was an easy way to find the distances between locations and the average travel times given different methods of travel.

So I have begun looking at the Google Maps API. And I intend to make a searchable, zoomable, Eberron map. And I'm looking for ideas of what people might want as features. I can't promise I'd implement all (or any) of the suggested features, but if there's something that seems useful or interesting, I'll consider spending some time on it.

For the most part, I think street-level mapping is out of the question. A few of the cities have maps that could be included (Stormreach springs to mind), but I may restrict things to inter-city level (from Sharn to Tashalatora, The Glass Plateau to Korth, etc).

Firstly, what modes of travel are most useful? I've got:

1. Walking (I'm debating just calculating direct euclidian distance or taking the time to map mountain passes, roads, and the like)
2. Horse
3. Lightning Rail (routes will be included)
4. Airship
5. Sailing Ship
6. Elemental Galleon
7. Orien caravan
Call me Ender.
Seems like you've covered all the bases there! I'd love to see something like that! 

I seem to remember seeing discussions on these forums about the differences in the overall sizes of the maps in 3e and 4e. Which version of the maps were you planning on using? 
Oh that's an excellent question. I'm a 3.5 player/DM, so I'm more accustomed to using those, but I do have all the 4E maps as well. Now, there's a number of maps that I don't think have 4E equivalents (as far as I know, at least. I'm looking at you, Adar) and would have to use those. So ultimately, I'm guessing this will be a composite map that uses parts from both sets to make a more comprehensive map in total. For the most macroscopic images, I'm thinking 4E. Honestly, they really do look prettier than the 3.5 maps.
Call me Ender.
Cool I would love to use your tool!
Oh that's an excellent question. I'm a 3.5 player/DM, so I'm more accustomed to using those, but I do have all the 4E maps as well. Now, there's a number of maps that I don't think have 4E equivalents (as far as I know, at least. I'm looking at you, Adar) and would have to use those. So ultimately, I'm guessing this will be a composite map that uses parts from both sets to make a more comprehensive map in total. For the most macroscopic images, I'm thinking 4E. Honestly, they really do look prettier than the 3.5 maps.

Yes they do! But the 3.5 ones have a certain charm to them... I'm not sure if the scales are the same - if so then is it possible to toggle between them? (Not that I'm trying to give you more work to do!)
I'm betting the scales are the same (don't have the maps in front of me). And if that's the case, I can't imagine it's too hard to toggle them. It'd be like choosing between "satellite" and "map" view.
Call me Ender.
Do the Google Maps APIs require a lat/long based coordinate system? I was wondering where you might put the equator and the prime meridian.

Looking at the map on p. 9 of the 4e campaign guide it seems like the equator passes through Aerenal and Stormreach. I'd suggest that the prime meridian passes through Metrol (as the capital of Cyre), but Sharn might also work.

Are you going to assume that Eberron is the same physical size as Earth? 
I was actually thinking of placing the Prime Meridian at Thronehold, since it was the capital of the Kingdom of Galifar before the Last War. It's also neutral (well, joint) nationality currently. I don't believe Eberron is physically the same size as Earth, but I haven't done the calculations yet given the scales on the maps. The circumference should be able to be determined from the current maps, once they're pieced together.
Call me Ender.
Ah yes! Thronehold does make more sense!
Can't wait for the final product!
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
There were some discrepancies between maps published on world size, so you would have to make a judgement call. Keith Baker mentioned that he reduces the world size by a tenth (I think) but I don't know if that was the 3E map or 4E map.
I'm fairly certain that there is no sizing difference between the 3.5 and 4E maps. I have them in front of me and the scales look to be virtually identical. As for the size vs. population discrepancy, despite the fact that the world size should probably be reduced to properly represent the population statistics as given in the books and the overall feel of travel, I plan to design it with the canonical information in mind. 
Call me Ender.
This would be awesome! Not sure if this helps, but I just ran across this thread where somebody used the Google API to create a custom zoomable map. He provided a link to a Photoshop script that would automatically generate the slices from a large map. Might be a timesaver.

facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1184658