Houserules for a Beastmaster

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
so i'm the DM for my campaign, my players do tend to end up optimized (i give them recommendations, which they have so far voluntarily followed (to their own benefit)) a player wants to play a beastmaster ranger, which, based off the analysis on here (the ranger handbook) it's terrible, and i can see why-

but since he wants to play it, i want to support that, and since i plan on sticking with 4e for the long haul i figure i could deal with these things through a little houserule design especially since it's such a popular concept, quite frankly you guys are the savviest balance people for 4e i know of so... can i get some feedback on my plans?

I'm making the path better by making the standard action beast commands minor action instead- which means he'll have his standard available for a regular power. It's also good because he'll be able to use his pet far more often, in line with hthe most obvious character concepts.

i'm also giving him a +3 damage bonus (heroic tier) to pet damage rolls against his hunter's quarry from the class feature (He's using the cat so 1d8 + 3, but i do want this to be a general fix)

too much, too little? i'd love some feedback

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/8.jpg)

So in other words, he can do Twin Strike and a Beast Power in every round? That's likely really overpowered. One of the reasons the Beast Powers aren't very good is that they're competing against a multi-attack power in the form of Twin Strike. I would suggest one of the following options:
Play a normal Ranger and take the theme Fey Beast Tamer
Play a Dex/Wis Ranger|Sentinel hybrid.
Make a version of Twin Strike that allows the Ranger to make a single 1w+stat attack and include a 1b+str attack. It will be a lot better at low levels than Twin Strike, but once enchants start kicking in, Twin Strike will be better. Add Wis once you approach either paragon or epic.
So in other words, he can do Twin Strike and a Beast Power in every round? That's likely really overpowered. One of the reasons the Beast Powers aren't very good is that they're competing against a multi-attack power in the form of Twin Strike. I would suggest one of the following options:
Make a version of Twin Strike that allows the Ranger to make a single 1w+stat attack and include a 1b+str attack. It will be a lot better at low levels than Twin Strike, but once enchants start kicking in, Twin Strike will be better. Add Wis once you approach either paragon or epic.

i... actually really like that last one, i think (the group isn't using themes, all but one are new so they're still stumbling around with the class, race, and equipment bonuses and hybriding might be a little much for the same reason)

question: so 1[W] + DEX for the first attack, 1[b] + STR for the second- otherwise clone twin strike?

follow regular twin strike base line.  STR for melee and DEX for ranged.  Beast should always be STR.
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

i... actually really like that last one, i think (the group isn't using themes, all but one are new so they're still stumbling around with the class, race, and equipment bonuses and hybriding might be a little much for the same reason)

question: so 1[W] + DEX for the first attack, 1[b] + STR for the second- otherwise clone twin strike?

Right. It will do significantly more damage at first. I actually might do it something like this:
Heroic: 1[W], 1[b]+Str(of animal)
Paragon: 1[W]+Dex, 1[b]+Str
Epic: 2[W]+Dex, 2[b]+Str+Wis 
Honestly?  Treat the beast as a movable weapon, just like Wizard summons are movable implements.  If you twin strike, your beast can attack for one or both of the attacks, using your stats (str for melee, or dex for ranged*).  Everything else stays much the same.

*this part probably needs a little work, but working this way is closest to making it fit into the current structure.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Throw away the whole beast stat block and base it off something like the Fey Beast companions or Sentinel companion. Scaling hp, defenses, attacks, and damage. I think the general quick fix to damage is to add half your level to whatever they already do - the FBT guys really need a damage boost to be worth using at all.

You still have issues though with feats and things not applying to the beast. The shaman model is nice because it's really always just you attacking, so that's another option.
Honestly?  Treat the beast as a movable weapon, just like Wizard summons are movable implements.  If you twin strike, your beast can attack for one or both of the attacks, using your stats (str for melee, or dex for ranged*).  Everything else stays much the same.

*this part probably needs a little work, but working this way is closest to making it fit into the current structure.

That does add an HP sponge and "I can quarry what I want" without any huge downside, but is far and away the easiest solution. You're already losing out on some prime PPs and class features by going Beastmaster.
i ended up going the twin strike modify route, though i do like the idea of making the beast a movable weapon, we'll see how this works out first- thank you guys for the help!

I have a player who wanted a beast companion as well. We play a relatively low OP game and she didn't even take twin strike as a power. I modified the damage on the beast attacks with the scaling enhancement bonus. This way at least the beast attacks remain somewhat feasable. Since we're approaching epic I'll see how it turns out with the minor action attack feat, although I won't expect it to be much of a problem in our group.

Right. It will do significantly more damage at first. I actually might do it something like this:

What modifiers would he get to add to the attack? Does the beast get an enhancement-bonus? 

What modifiers would he get to add to the attack? Does the beast get an enhancement-bonus? 

Beast does not. That's why I added additional stats as it moved towards Epic.

Beast does not. That's why I added additional stats as it moved towards Epic.

Thanks for clarifying. I think I'll also try this out as a houserule in my home games.