[CUSTOM] Marshal fighting style for Fighters

Fluff text was lifted from 4e sourcebooks. I hope the wording is clear and consistent with the current style.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marshal

You rally your companions with a mixture of shouted commands and cunning stratagems, leading them to victory through superior tactics.
  Maneuvers: Inspiring Word (1st level), Commander’s Strike (2nd level), Tactical Presence (4th level), Knight’s Move (8th level), Hammer and Anvil (10th level)
  Background: Noble
  Specialty: Polearm Master
  Equipment: Chain mail, halberd, short sword, 4 javelins, adventurer’s kit, and 44 gp

Maneuver Descriptions

Commander’s Strike
With a shout, you command an ally to attack an enemy.
Effect: As an action, you can spend a single martial damage die to grant a creature within 50 feet (other than yourself) a reaction that he or she could use to make a single weapon attack, cast a cantrip, or initiate a contest (such as a grapple). This reaction must be taken immediately after your turn.

Hammer and Anvil
You try to land a blow against your foe, inspiring a nearby ally to do the same.
  Effect: When you make a melee weapon attack, you can spend three martial damage dice to allow a creature within 10 feet (other than yourself) to make a single melee weapon attack against the same target, provided the target is within his or her reach as well. This extra attack is a reaction that must be made by the recipient right after your attack is resolved.

Inspiring Word
You grant your comrade additional resilience with nothing more than a shout of encouragement.
  Effect: As an action, you can spend martial damage dice to allow a creature within 50 feet (other than yourself) to recover hit points. For each martial damage die you spend, he or she can spend an equal number of Hit Dice (up to his or her maximum), plus his or her Constituion modifier for each Hit Die spent.
  The recipient creature can only regain the spent Hit Dice after he or she takes a long rest.

Knight's Move
With a sharp wave of your arm, you direct one of your allies to a more tactically advantageous position.
  Effect: As an action, you can spend martial damage dice to grant a creature within 50 feet (other than yourself) additional movement. If you spend a single martial damage die, the target creature can, as a reaction taken immediately after your turn, move up to its speed using any mode of movement available to him or her.
  If you spend two martial damage dice, the target will not provoke any opportunity attacks with this movement.

Tactical Presence
You enable your allies to perform with speed and accuracy.
  Effect: As reaction, you can spend martial damage dice to improve the accuracy of a creature within 50 feet (other than yourself) when he or she makes an attack roll. Roll all the martial damage dice you spend, but add only the highest die result to the attack roll.

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

All that stuff is clearly warlord stuff.

Fighter's already have big enough shoes to fill without eating the warlord class too.

5e houserules and tweaks.

Celestial Link Evoking Radiance into Creation

A Party Without Music is Lame: A Bard

Level Dip Guide

4e stuff

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

I like it, but I would make some slight modifications:

Commander’s Strike With a shout, you command an ally to attack an enemy. Effect: As an action, you can spend a single martial damage die to grant a creature within 50 feet (other than yourself) a reaction that he or she could use to make a single weapon attack, cast a cantrip, or initiate a contest (such as a grapple). If the attack deals damage you may add the spent martial die as bonus damage. This reaction must be taken immediately after your turn.

Hammer and Anvil You try to land a blow against your foe, inspiring a nearby ally to do the same.   Effect: When you make a melee weapon attack, you can spend three martial damage dice to allow a creature within 10 feet (other than yourself) to make a single melee weapon attack against the same target, provided the target is within his or her reach as well. This extra attack is a reaction that must be made by the recipient right after your attack is resolved.

Inspiring Word You grant your comrade additional resilience with nothing more than a shout of encouragement.   Effect: As an action, you can spend martial damage dice to allow a creature within 50 feet (other than yourself) to recover hit points. They may spend a Hit Dice, andfFor each martial damage die you spend, he or she can regain extra hp equal to the roll of the dice spent.   The recipient creature can only regain the spent Hit Dice after he or she takes a long rest.

Knight's Move With a sharp wave of your arm, you direct one of your allies to a more tactically advantageous position.   Effect: As an action, you can spend martial damage dice to grant a creature within 50 feet (other than yourself) additional movement. If you spend a single martial damage die, the target creature can, as a reaction taken immediately after your turn, move up to its speed using any mode of movement available to him or her.   If you spend two martial damage dice, the target will not provoke any opportunity attacks with this movement.

Tactical Presence You enable your allies to perform with speed and accuracy.   Effect: As reaction, you can spend martial damage dice to improve the accuracy of a creature within 50 feet (other than yourself) when he or she makes an attack roll. Add +1 to hit per die spent, and if it hits Roll all the martial damage dice you spend, but add only the highest die result to the damage roll.

Before posting, ask yourself WWWS: What Would Wrecan Say?

Sorry, I forgot to state the objective of this post.
The goal of this fighting style is to make a Defender/Leader build by using the Fighter class as a base (as opposed to making a Protector Cleric, for example). Parties who already have the 4 core classes would certainly appreciate having another Leader who can off-tank and/or be a secondary striker. The 3e Marshal and 4e Warlord were very solid concepts that deserve to be included in Next. So hopefully this would be effective enough to fill that niche for now.

Anu Den-dué, Korobokuru Fighter (Marshal)
I like it, but I would make some slight modifications:

Commander’s Strike ... If the attack deals damage you may add the spent martial die as bonus damage...

Inspiring Word ... They may spend a Hit Dice, and for each martial damage die you spend, he or she can regain extra hp equal to the roll of the dice spent...

Tactical Presence ... Add +1 to hit per die spent, and if it hits roll all the martial damage dice you spend, but add only the highest die result to the damage roll.

Very nice suggestions, sir. (I hope I was able to spot all the changes you made.) It makes each maneuver more solid. Thanks! 

I do like the idea of adding more tactical feats that simulate coordination in combat, especially for the fighter.

However, although I like some of your suggestions for such feats/class abilities, the text should give a better description of a tactical move and have some synergy with the rules in a way that the ability makes more sense.

For example:
Commander’s Strike
With a shout, you command an ally to attack an enemy.
Effect: As an action, you can spend a single martial damage die to grant a creature within 50 feet (other than yourself) a reaction that he or she could use to make a single weapon attack, cast a cantrip, or initiate a contest (such as a grapple). This reaction must be taken immediately after your turn.

Why? Why is your ally suddenly allowed an extra attack beyond his normal fighting capacity? Just because you shouted loudly enough?

So instead it could read somewhat like that:
Commander’s Strike
With a tactical move, you position yourself and press against the enemy, making him suddenly vulnerable to a chosen ally.
Effect: As an action, you can spend a single martial damage die to force a creature in melee with you lower its guard to a chosen ally. That chosen ally can then make an opportunity attack against the creature, provided he still has opportunity attacks to make that round.

The feat remains roughly the same, but the description makes more sense now. It is something you could easily imagine as a tactical move performed by a warrior in a melee.
Same could be done with the other abilities.

I'd have some regards about the one that grants an extra move, though.
I can't find any explanation that makes sense for a character making an ally suddenly move faster than he normaly can, unless it's some magical explanation like the Haste spell.
You could change it for something like: "You allow an ally to freely move through a certain ammount of space occupied by the enemy."
Then it'd be kinda like an "Overrun" maneuver but which allows an ally get past the enemy instead of yourself.
Just an idea...

I do like the idea of adding more tactical feats that simulate coordination in combat, especially for the fighter.

However, although I like some of your suggestions for such feats/class abilities, the text should give a better description of a tactical move and have some synergy with the rules in a way that the ability makes more sense.

You're right. I've gotten so used to 4e that I've forgotten how absurd the fluff can be sometimes.

The descriptions were lifted directly from the Warlord powers that these maneuvers were converted from. I just wanted to use those to make the 5e Fighter into a pseudo-Warlord. But yes, I totally agree that the descriptions need to be overhauled to fit Next's style. That said, I don't think I'm going to attempt to write new descriptions. I can't even begin to explain how Martial healing works, much less write fluff describing it from a character's point of view. Embarassed

Why not just have a warlord class?

If you want a fighter who's a warlord, then you take fighter5/warlord5.

Level Dip Guide

4e stuff

guides
Power
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Well, because there's no Warlord class yet, nor are there multiclassing rules (something that I was hoping to see in the latest packet). It's easier to make up new maneuvers than to design a class from the ground up. And I like to think of it as being similar to the Assassin scheme for Rogues -- you don't need a separate class, just grant a more specialized set of abilities to an existing class.

Well, because there's no Warlord class yet, nor are there multiclassing rules (something that I was hoping to see in the latest packet). It's easier to make up new maneuvers than to design a class from the ground up. And I like to think of it as being similar to the Assassin scheme for Rogues -- you don't need a separate class, just grant a more specialized set of abilities to an existing class.

I think warlords and fighters are different enough to warrent different classes.

Paticularly since i want warlord to be able to take 10 minutes to set-up a gameplan.

Battle Tactics: You spend 10 minutes drilling your troops.  Select one of the following, you can change tactics by spending another 10 minutes.

Skirmish:  When an enemy is hit by you or an ally, he can not take an oppertunity attack for a turn.
Focus Fire: When an enemy is hit by you or an ally, he is at disavantage for the next attack or spell, or for a turn.
Hold the Line: You and your allies gain advantage on oppertunity attacks.
ect... 

Level Dip Guide

4e stuff

guides
Power
my builds

Well the fighter in D&D is the universal combatant, he's inspired by the medieval warriors and can be any kind of such warriors: the archer on the wall, the man who fights wars in the battlefield, the duelist, the town's guard, etc.
It all depends on how you build your fighter, what kind of warrior he will be, what area of combat you will focus on...
So long as I can remember the fighter has never had a specific focus when it comes to class concept. He was just that: a man who fights. The rest is up to the player.
Surely the fighter can be a master of the battlefield and expert in tactics, like many medieval warriors were, including men who were raised from the lower ranks for being good at leading other man.

I'm not opposed to another class specifically focused on battlefield tactics, and maybe that class could get some extra, exclusive stuff in that area.
But the fighter should be able to be a master of the battlefield as well if he chooses to focus on that.
Maybe requiring the use of Intelligence? Giving a reason for some types of fighter to invest in this attribute?
After all there's nothing more iconic for a medieval warrior than fighting wars. 

You're right. I've gotten so used to 4e that I've forgotten how absurd the fluff can be sometimes. 

Heh I dont use the flavor text much at all.. a correctly timed communication can reveal an existing opening your ally had missed.. or distract an enemy in to leaving an opening.. it doesnt require physical force.
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

While I haven't gone through your specifics (sorry), I do want to say that:

I'm a huge fan of the Warlord, and of the Fighter, and while I expect (strongly) that we'll see a full Warlord class, I do think a well-done folding of the Warlord into the Fighter class could be perfectly acceptable (even amazingly awesome).
Feedback Disclaimer
Yes, I am expressing my opinions (even complaints - le gasp!) about the current iteration of the play-test that we actually have in front of us. No, I'm not going to wait for you to tell me when it's okay to start expressing my concerns (unless you are WotC). (And no, my comments on this forum are not of the same tone or quality as my actual survey feedback.)
A Psion for Next (Playable Draft) A Barbarian for Next (Brainstorming Still)
I do think a well-done folding of the Warlord into the Fighter class could be perfectly acceptable (even amazingly awesome).

It could, but I think I will side with skeptics on this one first
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

I do think a well-done folding of the Warlord into the Fighter class could be perfectly acceptable (even amazingly awesome).

It would be a much, much easier process if the Fighter class itself were given a more robust set of features, like every other class.
Feedback Disclaimer
Yes, I am expressing my opinions (even complaints - le gasp!) about the current iteration of the play-test that we actually have in front of us. No, I'm not going to wait for you to tell me when it's okay to start expressing my concerns (unless you are WotC). (And no, my comments on this forum are not of the same tone or quality as my actual survey feedback.)
A Psion for Next (Playable Draft) A Barbarian for Next (Brainstorming Still)

It would be a much, much easier process if the Fighter class itself were given a more robust set of features, like every other class.

Personally I enjoy the 3ed fighter a lot.
He's a blank sheet with tons of combat feats that you use to shape him the way you like.
The only thing that defines the class is that "he's good at fighting."
How he fights is entirelly up to each player.

Of all D&D editions and classes the 3ed Fighter has the class design I enjoy most.
If all classes were built more or less in that manner, instead of giving you a fixed, more rigid set of features, it would be great.

I enjoyed the second edition fighter the most where weapon specialization counted, and they also had access to kits. 4E came close to implementing the same type of feel, but it was too restrictive on some of the basic stuff like multiple attacks, or being able to use any weapon you wanted with powers.

The intial representation of the 5E fighter had a alot of promise with some tweeking, but those days are gone and buried. The fighter must be the poster child for a simple class in the game, otherwise the game is doomed. /sarcasm off

You mean if they decided to make a Fighter that doesn't suck?  The Warlord is one of the most popular elements from 4E, reducing it to being part of the bargain basement class isn't going to go over well.  Now, if WotC released the mythical "better than all the other classes" Fighter that they have deluded themselves into thinking exists, perhaps we can start talking.
Sign In to post comments