They wasted a perfectly good card name, round 1

61 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hairless Thoctar presents, what I hope to be a recurring feature whenever I'm bored;

They wasted a perfectly good card name.

Magic's got a lot of cards.
A whole lotta cards.
Lots an lots an lots of card.
Cards.
A lot of them.

Some of them suffer from an unfortunate problem;
They have cool names but are otherwise rather poopy.
Let's see if we can remedy that, eh?

First victim customer; Touch of the Eternal.

Rules:
1. You have 48 hours to come up with a new design for the card.
2. It can be any card type, any color, anything; as long as it has the same name.
3. Each person on the forum is allowed one submission, but you may change or alter your submission any time before the 2 days are up.

After that we'll begin the voting phase and I'll explain those rules then.
Good luck!

Edit: As an apology to fans of Touch of the Eternal and to ensure that this series of contests doesn't just become "Hairless Thoctar complains about cards he doesn't like", I've decided that the winner will be allowed to choose a card for the next round.
Touch of the Eternal

Enchantment
Rare
Creatures you control have lifelink.
Whenever a creature you control dies, put it on top of its owner's library.
Death is no different than any other obstacle; it can be overcome. 
Touch of the eternal is a nice card though..
Touch of the Eternal

Enchantment - Aura

Enchant creature you control.

When enchanted creature dies, exile it. Return it to the battlefield under your control with an additional +1/+1 counter on it at the beginning of your upkeep.

When Touch of the Eternal is countered due to having no targets, gain 7 life.

"Sometimes the hand of the Goddess reaches out to heal a shattered heart. If you're quick, you can get some of that sweet, sweet mojo yourself" - a planeswalker to a planeswalker.
Rules Adviser, casual tournament organizer, lover of EDH and MtG evangelist.
Touch of the Eternal
Enchantment
Creatures you control are indestructible.
You have no maximum hand size as long as ~ is in your graveyard.
When ~ enters your graveyard from the battlefield, shuffle all other cards into your library, then gain 5 life.

Touch of the Eternal
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant player
Enchanted player's life total is 20.
“Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin.”
― Mother Teresa
Touch of the Eternal

Enchantment

When a creature you control dies, exile it.

: You may cast a creature spell exiled with Touch of the Eternal until end of turn. (This must be done twice to cast two spells, three times for three spells, etc. You must pay the spell's mana cost.)

Those touched by the divine are inspired to praise it.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Touch of the Eternal
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature gets +6/+0. It cna't attack or block.
At the beginning of each upkeep, Enchanted creature deals damage equal to its power to another creature that player controls chosen at random.
Those touched by the gods are powerful. Good thing the gods drive them insane. 
56965458 wrote:
As long as it's random, I really can't see where's the problem. Anyway, there's already a few standard ways for doing this. We listed them in this thread. If someone does the bogey-bogey, eats the cards, waits until they come out, look out the approximate order, place replacements in the same order, calls the president to ask him to give him a string of numbers, puts the card in the given order, then pick the cards in the order given by taking the date of birth of his opponent, reversed, and taking only every other number, then a judge can clearly declare that he's random enough.
56874518 wrote:
The beauty of sarcasm is that when the person using it is totally incorrect, you can just remove the sarcasm and end up with a post that is actually correct.
Touch of the Eternal
Instant

Search your library for an Avatar creature card and exile it. Shuffle your library. Target creature becomes a copy of the exiled card, and gains "This creature is indestructible".

Wanna live forever? Become a concept
Bay, you might want that to read
: You may cast target creature exiled by Touch of the Eternal until end of turn.

instead, because you're not supposed to be able to put cards you don't own into your hand/library/graveyard.  
I wouldn't say Touch of the Eternal is a waste, if anything the art is what lets the card down.

Touch of the Eternal
Sorcery
Target creature gets -X/-X, its controller loses X life.
"She has no eyes, so you cannot hide. She has no ears, so you cannot plead. She has no feet, so you cannot run. She has no flesh, so she cannot bleed. All turns to dust underneath her throne. When time chooses to die, she will die alone." - Elegy of the Eternal, Canto DCLXVI

Balanced using Death Wind and Profane Command.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
I wouldn't say Touch of the Eternal is a waste, if anything the art is what lets the card down.

Touch of the Eternal
Sorcery
Target creature gets -X/-X, its controller loses X life.
"It has no eyes, so you cannot hide. It has no ears, so you cannot plead. It has no feet, so you cannot run. It has no flesh, so it cannot bleed. All turns to dust underneath its throne. When time chooses to die, it will die alone." - Elegy of the Eternal, Canto DCLXVI

Balanced using Death Wind and Profane COmmand

This flavour text makes me hot

Decks
Modern

Bloody Fangs

Cruel Master

Life Unbound

Survival of the Fittest

EDH

The Indomitable Doran, the Siege Tower

Mimeomancy The Mimeoplasm

Cube

360 Pauper "Colour Basics"

I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

Touch of the eternal is a nice card though..

Touch of the eternal
enchantment-aura

enchant creature

Enchanted creature has power and toughness equal to the number of lands you control

when touch of the eternal is put into your graveyard, put it on the top of your library.

"People and plants die, but the worldsoul is eternal."
-trostani, selesnya's voice
I should update my minesweeper. prerelease weekend just killed me. didn't even have time for dota. But in my minesweeper thread, I mentioned a real victim : P

thrill of the hunt
like wth.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
I feel that I should apologize to those of you that enjoy Touch of the Eternal.
I didn't mean to say that the card was awful, any card has a market even if that isn't immediately obvious.

I just mena that I feel that the name is better that the card itself.

Hmmm...

Tell you what.

I've decided on a prize.

The winner of the contest will be allowed to choose what card is used in "They Wasted a Perfectly Good Card Name, Round 2"

Touch of the Eternal  
Enchantment
The number of loyalty counters on Planeswalker cards can't change.
Your life total can't change. 
The eons come and go. Equilor remains.

Had a hell of a time figuring out how to cost this. I'm still not completely satisfied...

EDIT: Lowered the cost a bit, based on, among other things, Merciless Eviction.

This would be hilarious paired with Sarkhan the Mad
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
Touch of the Eternal BW2
Enchantment
Creatures you control have Undying.
Creatures you control with +1/+1 counters have lifelink.
They would leave only to return missing an arm, or perhaps a leg, but always bringing replacements.

IMAGE(http://imageshack.us/a/img266/5381/touchoftheeternal.jpg) Uploaded with ImageShack.us' alt='IMAGE(IMAGE(http://imageshack.us/a/img266/5381/touchoftheeternal.jpg) Uploaded with ImageShack.us)' />
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Touch of the Eternal

Instant
Split Second
Until end of turn, creatures can't die, life totals can't change, and players and permanents can't have counters placed on or removed from them.
"I once tasted that sort of immortality.  It was quite bitter and unfulfilling compared to... other means." - Blaize the Undying

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."
On Worldbuilding - On Crafting Aliens - Pillars of Art and Flavor - Simulationism, Narritivism, and Gamism - Shub-Niggurath in D&D
THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

Touch of the eternal

Instant

Creatures you control become 8/8 indestructible avatars in addition to their other types until the end of the turn.

Give us the strength we need to carry through your will. 

END OF ENTRY PERIOD

BEGIN VOTING

Voting Rules
1. You have two days to vote
2. Each person is allowed ONE vote
3. You don't have to have entered to vote

at the end of two days, the entry with the most votes wins.
Good luck everybody     

Vote: CandyWife20

Would just dominate in something midrangey. 
I vote for myself becuase I have no shame.
Touch of the Eternal
Enchantment
Creatures you control are indestructible.
You have no maximum hand size as long as ~ is in your graveyard.
When ~ enters your graveyard from the battlefield, shuffle all other cards into your library, then gain 5 life.

Last line would shuffle all permanents, your opponent's hand and library into your library... lol

That would  be hilarious :D
Touch of the Eternal
Enchantment (M)

At the beginning of your upkeep you may gain life equal to the number of white permanents you control or you may cast one creature card from your exile zone by paying life equal to its converted mana cost in addition to its normal costs.
You're a little late.
Doesn't matter... made a card :P
I vote for Dr. Demento's. I would love to have that card to play with.
I vote for Szat. He had the same basic idea as me, but I like his execution a bit better. 
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
I vote for Szat. He had the same basic idea as me, but I like his execution a bit better. 

The flavor on his is fabulous. He was definitely my second choice.
I don't really like any, but I guess I'd say Szat is the best imo.
56965458 wrote:
As long as it's random, I really can't see where's the problem. Anyway, there's already a few standard ways for doing this. We listed them in this thread. If someone does the bogey-bogey, eats the cards, waits until they come out, look out the approximate order, place replacements in the same order, calls the president to ask him to give him a string of numbers, puts the card in the given order, then pick the cards in the order given by taking the date of birth of his opponent, reversed, and taking only every other number, then a judge can clearly declare that he's random enough.
56874518 wrote:
The beauty of sarcasm is that when the person using it is totally incorrect, you can just remove the sarcasm and end up with a post that is actually correct.
My self, Because I am also shameless. Sorry.
Bay, you might want that to read
: You may cast target creature exiled by Touch of the Eternal until end of turn.

instead, because you're not supposed to be able to put cards you don't own into your hand/library/graveyard.  

Thanks for that. I might have wanted to say "own", but this works better.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
CL, with Dr D a really close second.
Touch of the Eternal
Enchantment-Aura
Enchant creature
Enchant creature is indestructible
At the beginning of your upkeep, you gain life equal to enchanted creature's power
If enchanted creature would be put into a graveyard from anywhere, instead exile it, than return it to play at the beginning of your next upkeep

It keeps going, and going and going

Touch of the Eternal bespeaks, to me, one of the following:

• Gain lots of life

• Indestructibility

This card does both of those.  Also, my apologies, but I really want the art to be the Energizer bunny.
With apologies to backpack (I'm genuinely not trying to be rude), when did people stop reading threads? That's the second entry after the round has closed.
I vote for Dr. D -- I really liked his take on it.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."
On Worldbuilding - On Crafting Aliens - Pillars of Art and Flavor - Simulationism, Narritivism, and Gamism - Shub-Niggurath in D&D
THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

Vote: ChaosLight (Tevish_Szat second).
I liked candywife's take on a card named "touch of the eternal"
Don't be too smart to have fun
With apologies to backpack (I'm genuinely not trying to be rude), when did people stop reading threads? That's the second entry after the round has closed.

People are going to keep submitting entries forever.

It is the most fitting thing that can happen now.