Sorcerer/Ranger Honorable Blade of Kord

32 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm currently a part of a long running campaign filled with storyline battles and random traveling combats. This is my attempt to maximize widespread damage, while also staying strong in single target melee combat. To add background I decided to have him use thunder only powers, including in melee. His static damage for melee is very low, or so it would seem. The second I cast a ranged spell, my static melee damage jumps from 8, to around 25. This character obviously would've been alot  better weilding a two-hander, but I decided to go with the longswords. I've been working on this character for about a month, and actually haven't even started playing him yet, so I'm willing to change most things. The only unchangeable features at this point is his class(Sorcerer/Ranger), and his race. My allowed starting ability scors are 17 15 14 14 12 10, and I gain one extra At-Will and Encounter of any level from either of my classes. Any opinions/additions are appreciated, I just can't get anything more out of him, and I'm wondering what other opinions are out there.

Show
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Akama, Fist of Kord, level 16 Dragonborn, Ranger/Sorcerer, Honorable Blade Hybrid
Ranger Option: Hybrid Ranger Reflex
Sorcerous Power Option: Sorcerous Power Strength
Versatile Expertise Option: Versatile Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Versatile Expertise Option: Versatile Expertise (Holy Symbol)
Hybrid Talent Option: Ranger Fighting Style
Ranger Fighting Style Option: Two-Blade Fighting Style (Hybrid)
Draconic Resistance Option: Draconic Resistance Lightning
Dragonborn Racial Power Option: Dragon Breath
Dragon Breath Key Ability: Dragon Breath Strength
Dragon Breath Damage Type: Dragon Breath Lightning
Berserker - Follower of Kord (+2 to Perception)
Theme: Windlord
FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 20, CON 11, DEX 14, INT 15, WIS 16, CHA 22
STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 15, CON 10, DEX 12, INT 14, WIS 14, CHA 17
AC: 26 Fort: 26 Ref: 24 Will: 28
HP: 108
Surges: 6
Surge Value: 27
TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +15, Arcana +15, Athletics +20, Perception +20, Religion +15 UNTRAINED SKILLS Bluff +14, Diplomacy +14, Dungeoneering +11, Endurance +8, Heal +11, History +12, Insight +11, Intimidate +16, Nature +11, Stealth +10, Streetwise +14, Thievery +10 POWERS Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Windlord Attack: Wind Fury Assault
Dragonborn Racial Power: Dragon Breath
Hunter's Quarry Power: Hunter's Quarry
Cleric Utility: Healing Word
Ranger Attack 1: Marauder's Rush
Sorcerer Attack 1: Storm Walk
Ranger Attack 1: Twin Strike
Ranger Attack 1: Jaws of the Wolf
Ranger Utility 2: Ranger's Agility
Ranger Attack 3: Ruffling Sting
Sorcerer Utility 6: Lightning Shift
Sorcerer Attack 7: Thunder Bomb
Sorcerer Attack 7: Shout
Sorcerer Attack 9: Howling Hurricane
Sorcerer Utility 10: Sorcerous Pulse
Ranger Utility 10: Root Gate
Honorable Blade Attack 11: Draconic Sidestep
Honorable Blade Utility 12: Draconic Leap
Ranger Attack 13: Answer with Steel
Sorcerer Attack 15: Gale Burst
FEATS
Toughness
Level 1: Mark of Storm
Level 2: Versatile Expertise
Level 4: Initiate of the Faith
Level 6: Hybrid Talent
Level 8: Power Attack
Level 10: Manticore's Fury
Level 11: War Wizardry
Level 12: Thundering Breath
Level 14: Thunder's Rumble
Level 16: Resounding Thunder
ITEMS
Shockweave Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +3 x1
Stormwalker's Cloak +3 x1
Spark Slippers x1
Fist of Kord +3 x1
Farslayer Longsword +3 x1
Vanguard Longsword +3 x1
Stormglass Shard (heroic tier)
====== End ======
Why is your allowed stat spread God awful? Use one of the default arrays. If you rolled stats: don't roll stats, use the arrays/point buy. If you are stuck with those stats, this is not a good character.
Why is your allowed stat spread God awful? Use one of the default arrays. If you rolled stats: don't roll stats, use the arrays/point buy. If you are stuck with those stats, this is not a good character.

Alcestis, that's a fantastic stat spread. 17/15/14/14 would be incredible without the 12/10 at the end...

Mind you, 16/16 would be better for the level he's at, but the problem with his stats is he bought up Dex/Wis at one point.

To the OP, what are you trying to do with the build? You appear to be focusing on melee due to the Ranger options, yet you haven't spent any resources to boost your defenses. 26 AC at 16th is horrible - it should be a minimum of 30(level+14) for a striker and that's pushing it.
At minimum I'd switch INT/DEX and swap out Power Attack for Dual-Imp Spellcaster. You stats are aligned more to the Sorcerer side and with that AC melee should not be your first move.
Our group consists of mainly melee with an overpowered healer and a defender who also tosses out heals. So defenses tend to be low. The highest ac in pur group is 34 and we havent had any trouble with dying. Our group motto seems to be "if someones not unconciouss at least once in the fight, we're doing it wrong." Overall, defenses are not a priority in ny group, but thanks for the input.

To make that random rambling a little more clear: In my group we aren't pushing for flawless, we more or less just want to blow things up as fast as we can, and we accomplish this quite well. When someone does go unconciouss it's normally at the very end of the fight, at which point they are healed right away.
At minimum I'd switch INT/DEX and swap out Power Attack for Dual-Imp Spellcaster. You stats are aligned more to the Sorcerer side and with that AC melee should not be your first move.

That was my original plan, but I'm now casting through my holy symbol. I don't have the ability to cast through my lingswords and to gain that I would have to give up a second feat.
Our group consists of mainly melee with an overpowered healer and a defender who also tosses out heals. So defenses tend to be low. The highest ac in pur group is 34 and we havent had any trouble with dying. Our group motto seems to be "if someones not unconciouss at least once in the fight, we're doing it wrong." Overall, defenses are not a priority in ny group, but thanks for the input.

I think your motto should be "If someone is unconscious at least once per fight, we are doing it wrong."

At Char Op we generally don't focus on surviving.  Surviving is assumed from the DM side (no matter how crappy you build your character, the DM can build games to challenge / help you.)  Char Op generally concerns itself with making your character mechanically good.  So saying "We get on well enough without X" often doesn't get a lot of positive feedback.  It generally gets the feedback of "Yes, you can. But you would do far better if you took Y instead".

So you need to do something to fix your defenses.

Also, I really don't think I should ever have to say this, but get rid of Power Attack.  Please, it is terrible. 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here

34 AC isn't a bad one. That's level+18 or right where the Defender ought to be. To use 1st level as an example, level+18 = 19 at 1st level. Level+10 = 11 AC at 1st level.

In effect, your 16th level character at 1st level would have had the equivalent of an 11 AC.

In any case, a character with the ability to slide targets with his Dragon Breath ought to have the ability to do Flame Spiral as you'll do really good damage with it. i.e. flame spiral, breath to slide targets near you(so they take damage), have them start their turn(take more damage), have your allies slide them near you(take more damage), etc...

That was my original plan, but I'm now casting through my holy symbol. I don't have the ability to cast through my lingswords and to gain that I would have to give up a second feat.

Swap DEX/WIS then and get rid of Maticore's Fury AND Initiate of the Faith. The Maticore's Fury/Initiate of the Faith/Fist of Kord combo is really inefficient, to put it as kindly as I can.  It screws you in two ways:
1. It basically dictate what you must do to get the bonus: go ranged, go melee, go ranged, go melee. That's not only inefficient, but irritating.
2. It means you're trying to keep up enhancement bonuses on FIVE items (THREE for attacks ALONE) just to tread water.

You have two swords too keep up enhancement on, use them as implements also. Four is hard enough to keep upgraded, five is pushing insanity.

In any case, a character with the ability to slide targets with his Dragon Breath ought to have the ability to do Flame Spiral as you'll do really good damage with it. i.e. flame spiral, breath to slide targets near you(so they take damage), have them start their turn(take more damage), have your allies slide them near you(take more damage), etc...

This, along with the power attack input, is the type of input I'm searching for. Trust me, I understand that in a "normal" campaign my defenses would get me killed, but this campaign isn't "normal". I can easily get away with having a 26 ac, and if I can do it, then why wouldn't I?

2. It means you're trying to keep up enhancement bonuses on FIVE items (THREE for attacks ALONE) just to tread water.

This is another thing that doesn't present itself often. Normally upon leveling up we are awarded weapons and armor. This campaign is obviously alot more layed back, and we focus more on combat and roleplay then we do worrying about having weapons.
Because when the party spends less resources on healing, and more on damage, or god forbid, out of combat "fun" feats, you could have more entertaining, scary combats, or have more fun at the local market square.

Either way, seems to me you are purposely holding back. Drop the training wheels, and tell your DM to bring it ! 

This, along with the power attack input, is the type of input I'm searching for. Trust me, I understand that in a "normal" campaign my defenses would get me killed, but this campaign isn't "normal". I can easily get away with having a 26 ac, and if I can do it, then why wouldn't I?

Because despite your hit points and stats and party healing resources, it wouldn't be hard for a DM to accidentally kill you in a focus fire attempt. Anyone who attacks you on any stat other than Will ought to nearly auto-hit you.

Now for whatever reason, your DM isn't doing this, but that's not at all obvious that we shouldn't be telling you to raise your defenses. Even in this group - because it will mean that you need less healing and therefore don't need toughness, which means you could put your hybrid talent feat somewhere else. Say Prime Shot for Called Shot or Dragon Soul for rebreather options.
Because when the party spends less resources on healing, and more on damage, or god forbid, out of combat "fun" feats, you could have more entertaining, scary combats, or have more fun at the local market square.

Either way, seems to me you are purposely holding back. Drop the training wheels, and tell your DM to bring it ! 

Our fun tends to come from the personalities and skills we give our characters, not the feats we choose. And i'm all for taking fun feats, i was referring more to the defense feats, that are in my opinion uneccessary in this campaign.

Because despite your hit points and stats and party healing resources, it wouldn't be hard for a DM to accidentally kill you in a focus fire attempt. Anyone who attacks you on any stat other than Will ought to nearly auto-hit you.

Now for whatever reason, your DM isn't doing this, but that's not at all obvious that we shouldn't be telling you to raise your defenses. Even in this group - because it will mean that you need less healing and therefore don't need toughness, which means you could put your hybrid talent feat somewhere else. Say Prime Shot for Called Shot or Dragon Soul for rebreather options.

MwaO said it better than I did

I took the ranger hybrid option for the ability to weild two one handers, not to gain toughness. I would much rather have this instead of rebreathing. As for me being hit, we get bombed all the time with area spells and multi attacks anf like i said we dont normally go down. It must be due to the dms choice.of enemies.

I took the ranger hybrid option for the ability to weild two one handers, not to gain toughness. I would much rather have this instead of rebreathing. As for me being hit, we get bombed all the time with area spells and multi attacks anf like i said we dont normally go down. It must be due to the dms choice.of enemies.

Here are your Ranger attack powers:
Marauder's Rush - Rapier is as good as Longsword
Twin Strike - Rapier+Short Sword averages 1 less damage than dual-longswords
Jaws of the Wolf - Rapier+Short Sword averages 2 less damage than dual-longswods
Answer with Steel - ignoring that it attacks Dex instead of Str, Rapier is as good as Longsword
Ruffling Sting - Short Sword averages 1 less damage than a Longsword

i.e. you spent your hybrid talent feat to gain +0-2 damage when you use your Ranger powers and Toughness. You do Lightning Damage on every hit, so Lightning Soul would give you +4 damage on every single attack.
This is another thing that doesn't present itself often. Normally upon leveling up we are awarded weapons and armor. This campaign is obviously alot more layed back, and we focus more on combat and roleplay then we do worrying about having weapons.

Which is cool but #1 is still valid: it's ungodly inefficient to have to do the melee/ranged tango constantly and consistently to get your bonus damage. You're better off just using your swords. You'll have an extra feat and do more damage consistently. The only thing you "lose" is the daily heal and you'll gain a +1 AC one encounter/day.

I'd also dump WIS and beef up CON just a tad. Dragonborn get a nice boost to their durability by buffing CON even a little. With your array I'd probably "start" STR 15 (17), CON 14, DEX 14, INT 12, WIS 10, CHA 17 (19) and retrain into Swordmage multiclass in Paragon since you're already there. You're not built as a charger so the WIS isn't important.

Here are your Ranger attack powers:
Marauder's Rush - Rapier is as good as Longsword
Twin Strike - Rapier+Short Sword averages 1 less damage than dual-longswords
Jaws of the Wolf - Rapier+Short Sword averages 2 less damage than dual-longswods
Answer with Steel - ignoring that it attacks Dex instead of Str, Rapier is as good as Longsword
Ruffling Sting - Short Sword averages 1 less damage than a Longsword

i.e. you spent your hybrid talent feat to gain +0-2 damage when you use your Ranger powers and Toughness. You do Lightning Damage on every hit, so Lightning Soul would give you +4 damage on every single attack.

I'm definitely going to look into rapier/shortsword, but my melee attacks do thunder damage Or lightning damage, so i dont need Lightning Soul.
Listen, at a certain point you have to realize that you came here asking for other opinions.

The other opinions are thus:

Raise your defenses, yours are low.

Raise your damage output, yours is low.

Switch some of your feats to accomplish the above two options.

If you want to stubbornly say "I like it for X reason", that is fine.  But you posted asking for help and opinions.  Throwing them out because "Im fine" makes us wonder why you bothered even posting.  Were you hoping we were going to say "Your character is awesome!  Great job!"? 
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here

Which is cool but #1 is still valid: it's ungodly inefficient to have to do the melee/ranged tango constantly and consistently to get your bonus damage. You're better off just using your swords. You'll have an extra feat and do more damage consistently. The only thing you "lose" is the daily heal and you'll gain a +1 AC one encounter/day.

I'd also dump WIS and beef up CON just a tad. Dragonborn get a nice boost to their durability by buffing CON even a little. With your array I'd probably "start" STR 15 (17), CON 14, DEX 14, INT 12, WIS 10, CHA 17 (19) and retrain into Swordmage multiclass in Paragon since you're already there. You're not built as a charger so the WIS isn't important.

I definitely agree, it is a little choppy. I think I will try another multiclass instead.
Listen, at a certain point you have to realize that you came here asking for other opinions.

If you want to stubbornly say "I like it for X reason", that is fine.  But you posted asking for help and opinions.  Throwing them out because "Im fine" makes us wonder why you bothered even posting.  Were you hoping we were going to say "Your character is awesome!  Great job!"? 

You are correct, I posted this looking for opinions, and if you read the last couple comments, I've found alot of what I waslooking for. The only reason im neglecting the armor comments is because I do not need them in my campaign, which I have said several times. I came here to get comments like the weapon choice and multiclass choice options in the last few comments. I will say this again, I realize my defenses are terribkle for a normal campaign, but i can garauntee this character will have a very full life free of unconcioussness in my current campaign.

You are correct, I posted this looking for opinions, and if you read the last couple comments, I've found alot of what I waslooking for. The only reason im neglecting the armor comments is because I do not need them in my campaign, which I have said several times. I came here to get comments like the weapon choice and multiclass choice options in the last few comments. I will say this again, I realize my defenses are terribkle for a normal campaign, but i can garauntee this character will have a very full life free of unconcioussness in my current campaign.

And what happens if your DM stops pulling punches?  If the DM starts using paragon monsters that can push 1, prone and daze in the same attack?  What happens when your terrible defenses completely neuter everything you are trying to optimize on the front end?

Do you come back and rebuild that one piece?  Or do you finally take a holistic view of the character and make it useful as a complete package instead of relying on your DM's inability to challenge a half-way decently built character? 
Show
I'll just add that if you intend to play into epic, your DM will have a harder and harder time not killing you. It's not so much the damage of attacks as it is the status effects they impose. If you're being auto-hit, you're being auto-dazed/stunned/immobilized/dominated/whatever. Aside from very easily causing a TPK, it's also just not very fun to be so limited to what you can do on your turn, if you even get one.
Alcestis, that's a fantastic stat spread. 17/15/14/14 would be incredible without the 12/10 at the end...

He tanked one of his attack stats. That is not "fantastic." It is anti-op, it is the one thing you never do. Except for Lazy builds, but everything has an exception etc.

He tanked one of his attack stats. That is not "fantastic." It is anti-op, it is the one thing you never do. Except for Lazy builds, but everything has an exception etc.

The stat spread is fantastic. He's at a -1 to hit with his Ranger powers for 8 out of 15 levels and +1 to hit with his Sorcerer powers for 7 out of 15 levels compared to a normal 16/16 array if he bumps them properly at 14th instead of raising the wrong two stats. That's not bad.

That he's then getting a 14/14/12/10 instead of a 13/10/10/8 means he can qualify for Polearm Momentum as a Dragonborn. And that has optimization potential.
...You think a 2her has optimization potential for a dual-wielder......? Riiiight. Should stick to linking to your builds.

The stat spread is terrible. There is a reason 16/16 is, in your words, "normal." Because it is the best overall choice.
...You think a 2her has optimization potential for a dual-wielder......? Riiiight. Should stick to linking to your builds.

Polearm momentum is not actually limited to polearms...

The stat spread is terrible. There is a reason 16/16 is, in your words, "normal." Because it is the best overall choice.

Yes, against other arrays overall. Not always. And when I made the rule up, I picked 16/16 for specific reasons.

For 16 out 30 levels 16/16 is the best array for hybrids with multiple primary stats. For the other 14 levels, 17/15/13 is better because it is effectively a starting value of 18 instead of 16 and an 11 is usually functionally close to worthless. The reason why 16/16 gets a better deal typically is because 17/15/13 is strictly worse on those 16 levels and theoryop assumes starting at 1st and ending at 30th. But they're very, very close in practical play as most hybrids typically do a majority of their attacks with one stat and having an 18 nearly 50% of the time is imo a positive over 16/16.

Assuming the build takes that into account.

And that last part is why, when I made up the 16/16 rule in the first place, I picked 16/16, because a lot of players won't make sure to do that. Throw in an extra 14/14/12/10 instead of a 13/10/10/8, some racial advantages to proning targets and even someone who has little idea what they're doing ought to be able to see an improvement over 16/16.
Oh, so he should be low-statted and use a +2 prof weapon. Just how much should he be tanking his accuracy in a game where hitting is everything, again?

You didn't make up the 16/16 rule. Not screwing your stats up has been on CharOp since day one of 4e's release (because, hey, we had V-classes back then to). You put the rule in a handbook, you had nothing to do with inventing it. And you wonder why people call you conceited.
Oh, so he should be low-statted and use a +2 prof weapon. Just how much should he be tanking his accuracy in a game where hitting is everything, again?

Low-statted? With a starting Strength of 19 compared to the 18 that you'd give him? Half the time, he's at a -1, the other half, same to-hit chance. People use +2 weapons all the time for things that give them advantages.

That he's not using the array to his best advantage says nothing about the quality of the array.

You didn't make up the 16/16 rule. Not screwing your stats up has been on CharOp since day one of 4e's release (because, hey, we had V-classes back then to). You put the rule in a handbook, you had nothing to do with inventing it. And you wonder why people call you conceited.

That's not what I'm referring to - what I'm referring to is the rule of thumb that hybrids should almost always take 16/16 in their primary stats unless they have a single stat. That's my rule of thumb which you're quoting even if you're claiming there's some general idea that you shouldn't screw things up. Yes, it might seem obvious that I should have stated 16/16 was the best choice for optimized practical play with dual-stats. I'm sure other people realized 16/16 was a strong option and used it all the time.

But...

Assuming the build takes the stats into account(and we're talking optimized builds which obviously do), 17/15/13 is more powerful overall than 16/16/13 because most hybrid builds don't split powers evenly. You do the following:
17: 2 encounters, paragon path(or reserve maneuver), theme power, 2 daily powers and paragon path daily power
15: 1 encounter, 1 daily power

This is doing the math really roughly, but basically, you have 14 levels of +4 per encounter to hit and 16 levels of -1 per encounter to hit. I'd personally rather have +56/-16 than 0/0. That -16 worries me a lot with newer players of hybrids, particularly the ones starting off at 1st level, which is why I don't mention the array. It potentially makes things swingy, which is bad even if the PC plows straight through 14 of the levels.

But toss in an extra couple of 14s and a 12, so almost every build ends up with +1 to 2 surges, initiative, and tertiary NAD? No problems qualifying for Superior Will on even Str/Con builds? That'll compensate for the extra miss every other combat on the levels where the stats aren't superior.
I am stating, not claiming, that you put the idea that had been around for years in a handbook. You didn't invent the guideline, the primary arguments for it were not yours, and that I personally think you are a dick for stealing the work of other people, who have contributed far more to CharOp, and claiming it as your own. So we are perfectly clear, you are stealing credit for other people's contributions to this forum.

Ironically you don't even understand why it is the general rule, because if you did you'd realize what is wrong with your arguments. So the idea that you "invented" the guideline falls very flat anyway. If you had any responsibility for it at all, you'd understand it better.
Your melee damage modifier should be +11 (5 str +3 enh +3 feat) though it can be much much higher.

Regardless, a lot of your power choices seem to have been made off the idea that you need innate Thunder Keywords on them, you don't, you just need to be able to use one of your melee weapons as an implement. Switching to an Offhand Dagger (consider this seconding the motion that Hybrid Talent for OH Longsword is a waste) will accomplish this for you, and allow you to take better powers like Flame Spiral (which is an amazing power even if you didn't have Mark of Storm to cause auto-damage).

A lot of your power choices (actually, all of them except Twin Strike and Ruffling Sting) as well as your Theme are really poor choices for a Striker, you can maintain the concept of Mobile Blaster with some Melee Powers while having a much better selection that would increase your damage by at least 50%, particularly not having Thunder Leap and Blade Cascade is a bit silly. Take a look at the Ranger and Sorcerer guides for rankings of the choices you have available, More Attacks per Target * Higher Damage per Attack = Winning as a Striker.

On the note of the later, basing yourself off of Lightning is much better than Thunder: Lancing Thunderbolt Dagger (spend the Superior Implement feat instead of Power Attack) is +3 (+2d10 on crits) damage on your Implement attacks, you can attach a Lightning dragonshard to the Dagger, adding +3 Damage to all of your Attacks (except Breath), the Lightning Soul feat is better than Thunders Rumble, you can wear items from the Gifts of the Queen set (get rid of those boots though) for up to +4 damage and rerolling damage dice, by combining Lightning and Thunder (Honorable Blade still adds Thunder to ALL of your powers, even with the Lightning Weapon) you can take Oncoming Storm for more accuracy

Aside from the Lightning thing, you need Iron Armbands of Power, Ring of the Dragonborn Emperor, and Echoes of Thunder.
Sign In to post comments