1/30/2013 UR: "The Burying, Part 1"

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Uncharted Realms, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Could have been a bit longer for a part 1, still not much info.

Will read part 2 though, im happy you guys give some lore to Domri Rade, that guy seems totaly awesome.
I really think that Domri Rade seems like a shoo-in. Like "Well, we only have three guild-affiliated walkers in the file - wouldn't it be cool if we had more?"

I mean, come on. Ral Zarek as an isolated example, okay. That's cool. Gideon joining the Boros fits his character, and he wasn't born on Ravnica, so it doesn't feel like too much of a coincidence. Vraska? Eh... I guess it's kinda cool since I believe she was the one that met Garruk on Ravnica. Kinda lame how she doesn't seem to have any impact, but okay, we can have one of those, I guess.

But Domri just seems like a second Vraska. Just there because of the guild theme. I thought most planeswalkers tended to leave their home plane, or at least travel around, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.
Spark ignition in 3... 2...
For some reason I can almost hear Domri and his friends talking with a cockney accent. Must be something about his picture.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
More stuff like this, less Jace!
Hmm. I hadn't realised that Domri was teenage. That's quite nice, actually; thinking about it, it seems all(?) of Magic's planeswalkers up to this point have been adults, or I guess often centuries-old due to Magic. (Nissa is the only other one who might be teenage, but maybe I'm just being influenced by the Lotus Cobra Is Evil portrayal of her there.)

I can see Domri getting a bit of a cult following if he turns out to be a slightly traumatized, sassy teenage Planeswalker.
I really think that Domri Rade seems like a shoo-in. Like "Well, we only have three guild-affiliated walkers in the file - wouldn't it be cool if we had more?"

To be fair, only three are from Ravnica. Gideon's from another plane, as is Jace.

I thought it would've been more vision quest-y. Fast for a few days, consult the spirits, and learn your place in the Gruul Clans.

Of course, his name sounds vaguely Hebrew, but this also doesn't look anything like a bar mitzvah!

@alextfish: Domri being a teenager has caused a lot of bawww over on F&S. Most of us are afraid he'll be a Wesley Crusher-esque kid appeal character. Or Jubilee, to continue MaRo's "planeswalkers as mutants" metaphor.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
And then Domri's spark ignites and he gets sent to Muraganda, right? RIGHT?
@alextfish: Domri being a teenager has caused a lot of bawww over on F&S. Most of us are afraid he'll be a Wesley Crusher-esque kid appeal character. Or Jubilee, to continue MaRo's "planeswalkers as mutants" metaphor.

I'm not at all surprised. Jace is apparently the most popular planeswalker among the market as a whole, but lots of us are very fed up with seeing his face all over everything everywhere. Magic is after all a game where everyone has some cards they hate; I'd imagine the same will be true of the planeswalkers.

But the stable of planeswalkers has enough diversity there in a variety of ways; I think it's nice to see some variety in (apparent) age. (It'd be interesting to have a clearly middle-aged-or-older human PW too. A grizzled sage or magical weaponsmith, or an Urza for the modern age.)
Speaking of Jace, isn't it about time for that second novel?

Anyway, my bet is The Burying is an actual burying as a metaphor for leaving your old self behind... and then you go down the hole for the cloister of trials and become a summoner.
And then Domri's spark ignites and he gets sent to Muraganda, right? RIGHT?

Muraganda. YEAH! Let's vote for it! (Anybody knows which plane shall we next visit? I wish either Muraganda or Kamigawa with Sakashima's students)

Sign In to post comments