DLCR: Act of Treason

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Todays GTC card to rate is...

Act of Treason

Show

5.0: First pick no matter what.  I will always play this card.
4.5: Splashable and first pick worthy.
4.0: First pick pack 1.
3.5: Early pick though not always a first pick.
3.0: Solid early/mid pick.
2.5: Solid pick in color.
2.0: Should generally make the deck if in this color.
1.5: Decent filler.
1.0: 23rd card if you have to.
0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in.
0.0: I will never put this card into my deck (main deck or after sideboarding).

I like this card for the set.  I think it'll work nicely in both Boros and Gruul.  Boros wants a lot of attackers and Gruul can steal an evasive dude or something and bloodrush him.

Not a high pick but a solid one I think.

2-2.5

Discuss! 
I'll go with 2.0-2.5.  In this set you have quite a few things you'd like to steal for a turn, particularly if going against Simic (Many games were decided by stealing away either an evolved up creature or Drakewing Krasis with some counters on it).  Many times my opponents thought they were "safe", as I couldn't push damage through, and a single Treason swung the game entirely as I hit them for 10+ damage in a single turn.  It also forces bad blocks much of the time, and can sweep the board pretty well if you play it right.  Not the highest priority, though I'll include one if I get it, maybe two.

I'd rather play removal, but this card always either kills one of their creatures, gets damage through, or finishes them. Also fun with Ciphered creatures.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

1.5 for me.  I always feel slightly bad when cards like this are in my deck but it is not a disaster.
I could go for these.  They're fine.

C.
2.5-3.0. I love these with Battalion. Or opponent's Evolve.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!

How about opponent's Battalion?  Or Cipher? 

Seems like it should be good in this set. Haven't played with or against it yet, but seems great to turn on battalion. I'll err on the side of caution though with my rating until I get to see it in action.

Having used this in prerelease, I'll give it a solid 2.5. When coupled with pit fight or mugging, it can easily clear the opponent's field. At least, that was my experience.
In a set with Pit Fight at common it has to be worth at least a 2.5.
2.0-2.5. So good in the boros mirror.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
I'll go with 2.0 here.

A card I like to run one of in most decks.

I prefer this to the RTR stealer card because I like this one at 3 CMC.
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
I'll go for 2.5 on this one.

It's very rare occasions where this will be a dead card, and most often it will turn around the game or help you finish it. 
I'll go with 2.0 here.

A card I like to run one of in most decks.

I prefer this to the RTR stealer card because I like this one at 3 CMC.

Another thing about this is that stealing a creature is a bit more relevant in this set than in RtR.  The two guilds that most easily use this benefit greatly.  Gruul's bloodrush can often mean that the power swing is more than enough for lethal as you are removing a blocker and adding an extra attacker to combat.  Combine with bloodrush, and that's just nasty.  In Boros it helps trigger Battallion, as well as further helps your weenies survive.  Futher, it also helps that Pit Fight is a common in the set in many situations will allow you to 2-for-1 your opponent (Or 1-for-1 at the very least) without having to risk any of your own creatures.

The guilds in RtR that could use, Izzet and Rakdos, simply don't get the same mileage.  I've seen Traitorous Instinct win some games, but more often than not it was just not swinging for lethal in the sameway or the opponent could nullify it easily enough.   Selesnya had some cheap tokens (Usually birds were chumped), Rakdos/Golgari have Grim Roustabout, Golgari has scavange so it didn't care to throw a creature to the grindstone, Azorius had a bunch of weenies to throw in the grinder and didn't care to much about losing one, and Izzet was Izzet.

However, considering that Regeneration is pretty much nonexistent in GtC, and that there is no graveyard effects like Scavenge, and tokens are rare enough, this is just brutal in the Set.  Bloodrush/Battallion is just gravy on the cake.
2.0.  I don't like cards which don't provide a permanent benefit.  It may provide the finishing blow, but it doesn't reliably help me get there.  Comboed with Pit Fight or the right bloodrush can be decisive, though, or at least force an opponent to destroy their own bomb.

The initial ratings for this card averaged 2.3; what do people think about Act of Treason after several weeks of Gatecrash?
I initially said 2.5, but I am thinking closer to 2.0 now. I haven't had any luck getting enough Act of Treason and Pit Fights to run the combo. As a solo card, the only luck I've had with Act of Treason has been as a game ending alphastrike. I'm not sure you can always count on getting the rest of the way there with Act of Treason sitting in your hand.