indestructible.

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Can somebody please explain how you cant and how you can kill a creature with indestructible. it just doent click for me
"destroy" means 3 things in magic

1. lethal damage
2. damage from a source with deathtouch
3. effects that say destroy

everything else is not destruction
the most common way is to reduce toughness or force sacrifice
proud member of the 2011 community team

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

so out of your list. does 2 and 3 work?
no, all 3 points in my list are stopped by "indestructible"
that's the point of the list
Being indestructible also doesn't save something from the legend rule or the planeswalker uniqueness rule.
Rules Advisor
so out of your list. does 2 and 3 work?

Doesn't work: effects that say "destroy" (Doom Blade, Day of Judgment), lethal damage (Searing Spear, Ulvenwald Tracker, any creature blocking or being blocked), deathtouch (Typhoid Rats). Just those three things.

Works: exiling, sacrificing, toughness reduction, damage from a source with wither or infect (as they reduce toughness). Anything that's not listed as "doesn't work" above.

[<o>]
here are some suggestions

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Taking offers on my set of unopened limited edition full art judge foil basic lands, message me if interested.

Hey,

Does an indestructible creature take damage(have its toughness reduced) and just not die? So I could tragic slip in the second main phase a 4 toughness indestructible creature that took 3 damage or more in combat and it would die?

Thanks,

-Chris-
indestructible still have damage marked on them

tragic slip on an indestructible 4/4 with 3 damage marked on it would simply make it a 3/3 with 3 damage marked on it, that would still not kill it (it would be destroyed, but it is indestructible)
Does an indestructible creature take damage (...) and just not die?

Yes.

take damage(have its toughness reduced)

No. Damage does NOT reduce Toughness. Ever. Please get rid of this oh-so-common misconception.

No. Damage does NOT reduce Toughness. Ever.

Never say never...

Other than those two abilities though, this statement is correct. A 3/3 with 2 damage on it is a 3/3, not a 3/1.
Rules Advisor

Yes.

No. Damage does NOT reduce Toughness. Ever. Please get rid of this oh-so-common misconception.

Shoot the DOTP team an email. I think they still represent damage on creatures that haven't died by simply reducing the toughness numbers until end of turn. I find it aggravating as well.

Yes.

Shoot the DOTP team an email. I think they still represent damage on creatures that haven't died by simply reducing the toughness numbers until end of turn. I find it aggravating as well.

They do.

I'm not sure how else that should be represented, though — and really, it doesn't make any difference 99% of the time. 
It's a neat way to save a bit of space on the HUD if you know better. Unfortunately, this little trick tends to mislead a lot of players, as DotP is a great learning tool.
Magic Online shows a little digit in red showing the marked damage.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Taking offers on my set of unopened limited edition full art judge foil basic lands, message me if interested.

No. Damage does NOT reduce Toughness. Ever.

Never say never...

Damage from a source with wither or infect doesnt reduce toughness either - it results in -1/-1 counters, and those reduce toughness.

For example, a 4/4 with Infect will not kill Melira's Keepers (where as it would if the damage itself actually reduced toughness).

~ Tim
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
Never!

Damage from a source with wither or infect doesnt reduce toughness either - it results in -1/-1 counters, and those reduce toughness.

For example, a 4/4 with Infect will not kill Melira's Keepers (where as it would if the damage itself actually reduced toughness).

~ Tim

Thwarted by a technicality!
Rules Advisor