Traitorous Instinct and Adaptive Automaton

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
The last game I played, I was in a situation to where I didn't have an answer. I have been playing for about 14 to almost 15 years, but from time to time I get mixed up with all this new content (I've had breaks in playing here and there). So in the situation, my friend had Adaptive Automaton(M12):

"As Adaptive Automaton enters the battlefield, choose a creature type."
"Adaptive Automaton is the chosen type in addition to its other types."
"Other creatures you control of the chosen type get +1/+1."
2/2 Artifact Creature - Construct

out and still during the creature's summoning sickness phase with the chosen type of "Soldier". As my turn was next since he ended his turn, I played the Sorcery card Traitorous Instinct(Return to Ravnica):

"Gain control of target creature until end of turn. Untap that creature. Until end of turn, it gets +2/+0 and gains haste."

on his Adaptive Automaton. Here is the part where I got confused. When I play Traitorous Instinct on Adaptive Automaton, am I able to select a new Creature type and give creatures that are under my control already, "Berserker", those benefits from Adaptive Automaton's passive ability? Or would I not be able to choose a new creature type since it was already done as "Soldier". Since playing Traitorous Instinct it gains haste, and isn't haste only affecting creatures under summoning sickness, would that not count as entering the battlefield? I'm very sure that it doesn't change creature types since it was already selected when it was first cast by my friend. But I'm just checking incase this situation happens again.
You can not change it because it specifically says "as adaptive automaton enters the battlefield". There is only one battlefield and it is shared by both players. So traitorous instinct merely causes the controller of the card to change, it never actually leaves the zone it's currently in.

Summoning sickness would apply even if the creature did not leave the battlefield (for example if you mind control a creature you can not attack with it that turn) so it's important that the creature gains haste with a spell like traitorous instinct.
Don't be too smart to have fun
Yup. I think the misunderstanding here is that summoning sickness affects not just creatures which came into play this turn, but any creatures which were not under your control at the beginning of the turn. That condition applies to stolen creatures as well as newly-played ones, which is why Traitorous Instinct needs to grant Haste.