Standard Dimir Grind

59 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is a new Dimir deck I've built using cards I pulled/traded for at the prerelease mixed with some other standard stuff. So far, it's been devastating.

Updated!!!!!!

Creatures:

This deck is packed full of win conditions. [deck] Consuming Aberration, Mind Grind, Jace's Phantasm, Paranoid Delusions, and Duskmantle Guildmage [/deck] all work together beautifully. Recently updated to include answers to answers of the wincon ( Psychic Spiral )

Thoughts? Suggestions? 

This is a new Dimir deck I've built using cards I pulled/traded for at the prerelease mixed with some other standard stuff. So far, it's been devastating.

Here goes:

Creatures:

Other Spells:

[deck]
4x Mind Sculpt

4x Paranoid Delusion

4x Psychic Strike

3x Grisly Spectacle

3x Mind Grind

2x Increasing Confusion

1x Death's Approach  

[/deck]
Lands:

11x Island

11x Swamp

2x Dimir Guildgate

What I hope to add:

4x Drowned Catacombs

2x Duskmantle Guildmage

2x Nightveil Specter   

1x Consuming Aberration

1x Wight of Precinct Six

1x Death's Approach

Thoughts?

looks good. i really like mind grind and can see a deck like this being hard to beat.
I played a dimir aggro/mill deck at the prerelease, and went 3-1 for 3rd place. Now I'm building a similar deck. Keep us posted. I'm throwing in some Black Cat and Drainpipe Vermin, along with Balustrade Spy and Undercity Informer, and I'll probably run Weight as a 3x. I've thought about Jace's Phantasm too. How do you like it in the deck?
"Dare to fight, defy difficulties and advance wave upon wave... Monsters of all kinds shall be destroyed." - Mao Zedong
What do you think of Thought Scour instead of the Mind Sculpts? It mills less, yeah, but it draws you cards.

Or perhaps a few Dimir Charms, since they can kill small critters in your way or mill a couple depending on what you need? I don't see much removal here.

I'm not sure about the Wights in the main -- they're no doubt devastating against the right opponents, but I'm seeing a lot of control around here, and they don't really have many creatures to speak of.

If you're more invested in mill than in damage, you might go with Invisible Stalker rather than Jace's Phantasm also. Stick a Paranoid Delusions on him and you may get through more milling than you would with a Phantasm.

I'm not sure, though, as Phantasm lets you have a more aggressive backup plan.
Hey everybody, thanks for all the feedback.

CdeO:  I like the idea of the hand control creatures paired with Undercity Informer. What cards do you suggest removing in favor of that combo? The Phantasm has been devastating. A 5/5 flyer for 1 is never a bad deal. When it's a 1/1, it's excellent bait for Paranoid Delusions. The amount of mill in this deck garuntees that if he's ever a 1/1, he isn't for very long.

AlexaM:  Card advantage is crucial, and Thought Scour is cheaper. That being said, I want my Phantasm to be a flying 5/5 by turn three at the latest. I like the Wight because a) If my opponent is running zero creatures, he is perfect cipher bait to mill them and make them use their removal on my 1/1 b) If they are running creatures, he is a field advantage that grows in tandem with library advantage. What would you suggest in the place of Wight? I like the Phantasm over the stalker because milling isn't my only win condition. What do you suggest removing in favor of Dimir Charms?

I'm considering taking out the Wight of Precint Six in favor of more Duskmantle Guildmages. That first ability is a huge mid-game threat and a late-game bomb.
I'm currently working on a similar deck. I'm considering a couple Trepanation Blades to help feed the mill process, and possibly (up to) a set of Ghost Quarter; most likely destroying a dual land, and replacing it with a basic land. More importantly, it removes lands which make cards like ballustrade spy/mindgrind mill more. Think they're worth it?
I like Trepination Blade alot, but three to play and two to equip seems a little pricey. What would you suggest removing? Ghost Quarter seems like it would be very helpful, but too many could potentially damage your mana base.
Yeah, I love Trep Blade, and have been trying to fit it in a deck since it came out, though it always gets removed. This might be the deck where I can rationalize playing a couple. As to what to remove for you, I'm not sure. Dimir is more of an aggro mill, which is plays very different from a mono-blue control mill deck that I've played before, and I'm still messing with my dimir deck. I need to cut some cards from mine, and make a few more changes before it's gonna be any good, but if you want, I'll post what my first draft of the deck is after I finish it.
It seems to me that Dimir has three basic strategies. The first is just to mill them out. The second is to "make mill matter" with cards like Consuming Aberration, Jace's Phantasm,  and  Wight of Precinct Six (this deck). The third is to use Tormented Souls and Invisible Stalkers in conjunction with alot of Cipher. I think the first and second work together, and the third works best by itself.
 I'd definitely be interested in seeing your decklist when you finish it.
Should I run Sands of Delirium? It seems like a good idea to have another Mill for X spell in here, especially one I can repeat.
Jace, Memory Adept is bonkers with Duskmantle Guildmage; activate the Guildmage's first ability twice and use Jace's 0 loyalty ability to cause 20 life loss.

Also see Consuming Aberration and Essence Harvest; there are some really funs things Dimir can do and I can't wait to put a few decks together!

Both of these combos can potentially win on turn six by life loss in a 'Mill Deck'. Yum. 
Duskmantle Guildmage's first ability is insane with any mill card. Jace is a definite wincon, but I want to make a deck without using him. I feel like it's not even fair when he's in this build.
Buuuuuuuuuump!
I'd suggest taking out the wight and fog banks in favor of invisible stalker just so you can have an untouchable source of re-use with paranoid delusions and i'd also say drop a nighthawk for the guildmage just because he can win the game for relatively little mana. illusionists bracers i think should be the artifact of choice for this deck over trep blade, and i think no matter what way you build this deck jace, memory adept needs to be in.
I am White/Black
I am White/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and selfish. I act mostly for my own benefit, but I respect and help my community - Specially when it helps me. At best, I'm loyal and dedicated; at worst, I'm elitist and shrewd.
Anyone care to comment on the update?
drop the outwit and put witchbane orb in your SB and some dispel s, that should nullify any kind of burn deck. If it's the mirror match your worried about, wichbane orb followed by a psychic spiral can be devastating. Strongly reccomend adding more duskmantle guildmage s. Also artful dodge . artful dodge plus your aberration is just fantastic.
I am White/Black
I am White/Black
I'm both orderly and selfish. I act mostly for my own benefit, but I respect and help my community - Specially when it helps me. At best, I'm loyal and dedicated; at worst, I'm elitist and shrewd.
drop the outwit and put witchbane orb in your SB and some dispel s, that should nullify any kind of burn deck. If it's the mirror match your worried about, wichbane orb followed by a psychic spiral can be devastating. Strongly reccomend adding more duskmantle guildmage s. Also artful dodge . artful dodge plus your aberration is just fantastic.

I think I might obtain and maindeck a Witchbane Orb . The outwit is in there for Psychic Spiral because I currently lack an Orb. I'll look through my cards and make a couple changes. Thanks for the input.
I have been thinking of a build very similar to this. Tho I have been thinking of splashing green for either mana ramp to get some big threats out faster or milling quicker, and I am sorry but seeing all of these creatures that keep getting bigger...,I feel a Rancor would be just...devestating....It is just an idea I had and will work with. 

I would also go with the bracers if artifacts at all. The sands can be under whelming really. A bit more control would never hurt.
"I don't do tactics. I don't do guard duty. I do damage. Take it or leave it." "Some have said there is no subtlety to destruction. You know what? They're dead" -Jaya Ballard, task mage "The enemy has been destroyed, sir. So have the forest, the city, your palace, your dog . . ." Keldon soldier "Someday, someone will best me. But it won't be today, and it won't be you."
I have been thinking of a build very similar to this. Tho I have been thinking of splashing green for either mana ramp to get some big threats out faster or milling quicker, and I am sorry but seeing all of these creatures that keep getting bigger...,I feel a Rancor would be just...devestating....It is just an idea I had and will work with. 

I would also go with the bracers if artifacts at all. The sands can be under whelming really. A bit more control would never hurt.

I agree with the point on bracers but i think that going green, even for all the advantage of rancor, cause the deck to deviate a bit too much. I think artful dodge is the way to go if you really want to hurt em. Also runechanter's pike may not be a bad idea here.
I am White/Black
I am White/Black
I'm taking out sands and two out witwit
Sorry, I'm typing on my phone. I'm taking out sands and outwit for three artful dodge.
hey just curious, what makes you pick jace's phantasm over wight of precinct, is it because it has flying?
It has flying, it's cheaper, and it pumps faster. Ten cards milled = flying 5/5. Assuming my opponent's deck is thirty percent creatures, wight would be a ground bound 4/4 with ten in the yard. Also, it allows for turn 1 phantasm, turn two mind sculpt, turn three paranoid delusions encoded on the phantasm. If you drop wight on turn 2, you can't mill turn two.
Man I debated on a solid Dimir deck for a while.  I eventually went with a Consuming Aberration Heartless Summoning combo.  Check out the deck on thread:  Heartless Aberration.  Might give you some ideas.

I really wanted to run an all cantrips/Aberration deck but I couldn't find a way to justify it :-(. 
Break the Card: A great contest run by Dilleux_Lepaire in the Cards and Combo's forums! Support the Card: An homage to Break the Card I run on the You Make the Card forums! Support the Card winners:
Show
Week 1: Savor the Moment - Winner: ConfusedAsUsual!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788879/CONTEST_Card_Support:_Savor_the_Moment?pg=1
Week 2: Grinning Ignus - Winners: Lobster667 and VRdragoon!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29797229/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Grinning_Ignus?pg=1
Week 3: Transcendence - Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29806577/CONTEST__Support_the_Card:_Transcendence?pg=1
Week 4a: Rofellos's Gift - Winner: SuperSpawnWrithe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29816423/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Rofelloss_Gift
Week 4b: Mortus Strider - Winner: Libe!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29820463/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Mortus_Strider
Week 5: High Priest of Penance - Winners: Dilleux_Lepaire and Dudibus!
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29921687/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_High_Priest_of_Penance?pg=1
I checked it out. I like heartless summoning. I would never run duskmantle seer though, it relies far too much on chance for my taste. While I've yet to play it at fnm, I've yet to lose a match with this deck.
what do you think of Chronic Flooding for this deck, put it on some dual lands and stuff
Yeah, I'm hesitant on the Seer, but Dark Confidant has been so successful.  

It makes your opponent have one less card in his deck each turn (even if it does put it in his hand), gives you an extra card to mill with, drains your opponents life, and at the end of the day its a 3/3 flier (with summoning on the board) which provides back up if mill isnt working.

The Seer was added to my deck in the conceptual phase when all I had was the Summoning, the Aberration, and a TON of cantrips (play a spell, mill, draw a card, play a spell, mill, draw a card).  I figured I'd see what comments I got.  I'm still too noob (at least in the GOOD player sense, I've been playing since Revised lol) to truly appreciate cards like the Seer and Confidant.
Break the Card: A great contest run by Dilleux_Lepaire in the Cards and Combo's forums! Support the Card: An homage to Break the Card I run on the You Make the Card forums! Support the Card winners:
Show
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788879/CONTEST_Card_Support:_Savor_the_Moment?pg=1
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29797229/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Grinning_Ignus?pg=1
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29806577/CONTEST__Support_the_Card:_Transcendence?pg=1
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29816423/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Rofelloss_Gift
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29820463/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_Mortus_Strider
Show
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29921687/CONTEST_Support_the_Card:_High_Priest_of_Penance?pg=1
I'm sure there's a use for the seer, and I love having more cards but I'm not sure the reward is worth the risk. I like chronic flooding and contaminated ground, and due to a lack of super cheap removal, I have decided to playtest a set of crippling blight to push through damage. Any thoughts on that?
I looked at that as one of my maybe cards.  It's a cheap removal spell for Aberration.  It may work in my deck, I don't think it has a place in yours.

You have a lot of evasion in the form of flying, plus the guildmage to lob some direct "damage" at your opponent.  Looking at the metagame, the blight would only help you when you've pretty much already lost the game (Angel of Serenity).  Otherwise, your fliers are big enough to deal with the blockers.

I like Chronic Flooding...no matter how many people tell me its terrible.  I think it could work in your deck, ESPECIALLY against Unburial Rites decks.  I love that those decks support our own goal! 
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
Show
I was thinking the blight would be good against any deck with flyers (especially the mirror match). I'd hate to have my phantasm blocked by a nighthawk...
After further playtesting, I've come to the conclusion that I need more removal. Any thoughts on what to take out in favor of more removal?
Seriously guys! Help me out, I want this thing to be a NASTY thing come FNM tomorrow.
maybe i'm not thinking straight but grizzly spectacle seems kinda useless, i'd get rid of the three of them, maybe drop 2 nighthawks as well and add 5 removal,
edit
I have't played this deck so I don't know but i would also add 1 more guildmage and abberation, btw I don't think Lazav is useful in this deck, you're damage comes from milling, the guildmages ability and the abberation's damage, you don't need lazav turning into you're oppononents creatures. That said I really hope you find a solid decklist with this because this looks fun to play and I am thinking about investing in my own version of a dimir deck
Grisly Spectacle is cool because it is kill and mill. If it's a powerful creature, it works wonders. If not, It's kind of underwhelming. Lazav is cool because he's hexproof and can be something amazing if I mill it out, but I see your point. Which removal spells specifically do you suggest?
Grisly Spectacle is cool because it is kill and mill. If it's a powerful creature, it works wonders. If not, It's kind of underwhelming. Lazav is cool because he's hexproof and can be something amazing if I mill it out, but I see your point. Which removal spells specifically do you suggest?

3 drop would be acceptable, 4 drop is entirely too much.

An overlooked kill card is Rapid Hybridization.  That card looks realy good especially against the larger creatures out there in magic.

A straight kill-card that's not instant speed that would be great in a mill deck is Death's Approach.  As a bonus it deals with indestructible creatures like Falkenrath AristocratDeath Wind accomplishes the same at instant speed but I'm not crazy about "X" cost spells.

Devour Flesh Generally works good in a mill deck as you don't give much of a damn about their life total anyway.

Sever the Bloodline above all else is a must really.  It exiles all kinds of nonsense and absolutely rapes token decks all by itself. AND it has flashback.  It's sick.

Tribute to Hunger Can be super cost effective if you've been able to control the board well.

With GTC I think Ultimate Price is going to be a dead card in your hand more often than not.

Bone Splinters is sick if you got a sac engine like Gravecrawler

-NW "Behold blessed perfection!" --Sheoldred, Whispering One
I took third at FNM running a slightly modified version of this deck which I will post later. I went 3-2, losing only to Boros Hyper-Aggro and Orzhov "Evil Shenanigans".
Here is the list I took to FNM, placing third. (I don't currently have the dual lands, but they are definitely part of this decklist.)

I'd like to have a more consistent removal arsenal, but these are the cards I currently have. I'm thinking about trading some rares for a stack of common/uncommon removal.  Both casually and at FNM, this deck has been playing exceptionally well.  Damage accounts for the overwhelmingly vast majority of the wins, only winning one game at FNM by mill-out. If anyone has some spare removal, PM me and we can try to work out a trade. Thanks in advance for all of the comments/critiques!                                    

I think the best option for a mill win is the Undercity Informer - Undead Alchemist combo.

Heres a list.

Creatures
2x Fog Bank
4x Doorkeeper
4x Undercity Informer
4x Undead Alchemist
3x Consuming Aberration

Spells
4x Thought Scour
3x Psychic Strike
3x Mind Grind
3x Increasing Confusion

Other
3x Liliana of the Dark Realms
3x Jace, Memory Adept
1x Sands of Delirium               

Lands
4x Drowned Catacomb
4x Watery Grave
10x Swamp
6x Island
I am White/Black
I am White/Black
Consuming Aberration isnt unplayable. His p/t is based on total cards in graveyard, not just creatures. Also Undercity Informer, Mind Grind, and Consuming Aberration target lands when they mill, so he might not be monstrous, but he is certainly not unplayable. He is mainly in here for his secondary ability anyway, turning EVERY spell into a mill spell. Although i have been considering dropping him to 2. not sure what i would add in though.