Dragons maze prerelease

74 posts / 0 new
Last post
I knew they had a plan to support all these Gate-enabled commons. Also, wow, shocklands get cheaper.

It's odd that Guildgates have the Dragon's Maze symbol (making it part of the set) while the shocklands don't. I suppose they don't want three versions of the shocklands.

I wonder what they mean when they say a guild pack can support two different guilds. Is the speculation about guilds joining in pairs really true? 
I'm guessing the mythic land would be the namesake of the set. heard it here first. :P
Eh.
I knew they had a plan to support all these Gate-enabled commons. Also, wow, shocklands get cheaper.

It's odd that Guildgates have the Dragon's Maze symbol (making it part of the set) while the shocklands don't. I suppose they don't want three versions of the shocklands.

I wonder what they mean when they say a guild pack can support two different guilds. Is the speculation about guilds joining in pairs really true? 

Either this, you can choose 2 guild combinations, or combinations that share a color.
Resident Piggles Zombie piggy is eatin' your sigs om nom nom (>*o*)>
MTG Card
Front: PigKnight, One Line Poster (3W) Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Vigilance When this creature dies, return him to play and transform him. (2/3) >(5/3)< Back: (Black)ZombiePiggles, Eater of Tomato Sauce Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Zombie Trample, Intimidate B: Regenerate this creature. When this creature is the target of a white spell, transform this creature. (5/3)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/15.jpg)

Color me interested.
It says that each guild prerelease pack supports 2 guilds, but it seems that each of the 10 guild packs supports 1 guild, because it has one guild symbol on it.  I don't get it.  Aren't you supposed to pick 2, and combine them?
Nah Nah Nah... Nah Nah Nah... SPORTSCENTER... THE PLACE FOR SPORTS
"And when the maze is completed, all participating players will receive a premium (foil) basic land promo card!"

A foil basic land?  For participating?  Am I reading that right?
That'll drop the price of basics from $.01 to $.00! :O
Resident Piggles Zombie piggy is eatin' your sigs om nom nom (>*o*)>
MTG Card
Front: PigKnight, One Line Poster (3W) Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Vigilance When this creature dies, return him to play and transform him. (2/3) >(5/3)< Back: (Black)ZombiePiggles, Eater of Tomato Sauce Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Zombie Trample, Intimidate B: Regenerate this creature. When this creature is the target of a white spell, transform this creature. (5/3)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/15.jpg)

"And when the maze is completed, all participating players will receive a premium (foil) basic land promo card!"

I actually think it'll be a special sort of basic land, in the same vein as the Zendikar Full Arts.  Not necessarily a full art, but something different about it that sets it apart.  What that is, I wouldn't know.
If i read it right every Dragons maze booster pack will either have a guildgate or a shock right?
If i read it right every Dragons maze booster pack will either have a guildgate or a shock right?

Potentially, both, I think.  The guildgate takes the basic land slot, and the shockland would take the rare spot.

Yes. 

And I doubt that it will create enough of a glut of shocks to dramatically reduce price.  Maybe a couple dollars at most.

So is it right to say that they're reprinting the Guildgates in DGM?

GW

Cookie Count: 1 million + 1039 Wooden Spoon Count: 2 YMtC Trophies 1st: 9 2nd: 11 3rd: 13 4th: 4 I lost >6000 posts during the last forum migration. #14000th post at 05/11/09 #15000th post at 22/02/10 #16000th post at 10/06/10 #17000th post at 27/10/10 #18000th post at 27/04/11 #19000th post at 24/08/11 #20000th post at 21/04/12 #21000th post at 21/01/13
I'm reading it as the Shock would replace the Gate, giving the chance of 3 rares in a pack.  Perhaps the Gates have a different hidden message, and/or perhaps they're those 10 unused guild land arts we've been seeing.    
@Glare: yes. That is confirmation, if I've ever seen it. Also, the shock won't take up the rare slot, it would take up the land slot. As would this mythic rare land. Crazy. I wonder what it is. I wonder if the mythic land can be pulled in the rare slot, or only in the land slot? That's probably what the 11 extra slots we were wondering about are.

Also, supporting two guilds, I think, might mean, have monocolor guild aligned cards from one other guild. So Simic will have mono-green Selesnya cards. Selesnya will have mono-white Boros cards. Boros will have mono-red Gruul cards. Gruul will have mono-green Golgari cards. Etc, etc.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
I finally figured out what they mean by 2 guilds in one box.

Each box probably doesn't contain 3 colors, or 4 colors.  Each box is one guild.

So let's say you pick simic.  The only relevant packs are DGM packs and GTC packs.   What about the RTR packs?  That's where the second guild comes in.  Each prerelease pack probably has cards that aren't that strict on playing that one guild.

The second guild is basically saying that the RTR or GTC packs that the guild isn't in, is relevant.
Nah Nah Nah... Nah Nah Nah... SPORTSCENTER... THE PLACE FOR SPORTS

I actually think it'll be a special sort of basic land, in the same vein as the Zendikar Full Arts.  Not necessarily a full art, but something different about it that sets it apart.  What that is, I wouldn't know.

Agreed.
Hopefully the new mythic rare land is a little bit less narrow than Eye of Ugin. (the only other land of this rarity that's not a FtV reprint)
I'm quite sure that it will be mythic rare for flavor reasons mostly not because of powerlevel though.
Might revalue Thespian's Stage a little if it's strong enough and/or legendary.
Can't wait! :P
So shocks get cheaper, while this mythic rare land might skyrocket to take their place...
So shocks get cheaper, while this mythic rare land might skyrocket to take their place...

This. Albeit i think the effect on shock prices will be modest and short-term. The number of DGM packs opened will be significantly less than GTC or RTR was.

I shudder to think what the mythic land will be if it is constructed playable. If it is constructed playable, obtaining it will be like trying to get a Jace 2 during cawblade season.

Hopefully they will think Timmy-like, not Spike-like...

Dragon's Maze
Land (M)
: Add to your mana pool.
: Add one mana to your mana pool of any color that a gate you control could produce.
, , sacrifice Dragon's Maze: search your library for any number of gate cards with different names and put them onto the battlefield tapped. Then choose any number of gates you control with different names and untap them. For each gate untapped this way, draw a card.

This. Albeit i think the effect on shock prices will be modest and short-term. The number of DGM packs opened will be significantly less than GTC or RTR was.

I shudder to think what the mythic land will be if it is constructed playable. If it is constructed playable, obtaining it will be like trying to get a Jace 2 during cawblade season.

Dragon's Maze
Land (M)
: Add one mana to your mana pool of any color that a gate you control could produce.
, , sacrifice Dragon's Maze: search your library for any number of gate cards with different names and put them onto the battlefield tapped. Then choose any number of gates you control with different names and untap them. For each gate untapped this way, draw a card.

Actually, the Mythic land will possibly occupy two spots in a pack, both in the regular rare and the Mythic rare slot.  So it's twice as likely to pull it methinks.  Still, given tht drafting will be block draft, the likelihood of getting it through the most common method is pretty low.

Dragon's Maze
Land (M)

Actually, the Mythic land will possibly occupy two spots in a pack, both in the regular rare and the Mythic rare slot.  So it's twice as likely to pull it methinks.  Still, given tht drafting will be block draft, the likelihood of getting it through the most common method is pretty low.

You know what, I think you're absolutely right! The first mythic to show up in twice the quantities!
Lol highwayman. Your Dragonmaze is quite over the top. I think a 5 gate limit and no card draw is more reasonable.

How about your mana abilities with :U::B::R::G:,:taP:,Sacrifice five gates with different names: You win the game.

Dragon's Maze
Land (M)

You know what, I think you're absolutely right! The first mythic to show up in twice the quantities!

Yep, and considering that mythics are 1 out of 8, this would *basically* mean that it's still 1 out 4-still well within Mythic status.

I'm sure there will be non-basic lands aside from shocklands and guildgates 
Lol highwayman. Your Dragonmaze is quite over the top. I think a 5 gate limit and no card draw is more reasonable.

Well, it was off-the-cuff I think a deck with that many gates, and in all different colors, would be too slow to be useful in tournament constructed, even with the draw. I guess my point was to make it incredibly splashy but not spikey, and to use the gates which I daresay are a big theme of DGM.

How about your mana abilities with :U::B::R::G:,:taP:,Sacrifice five gates with different names: You win the game.

I thought about alternate wincon. I've not seen one on a land before, and that would make it largely unanswerable. Still, who knows.

Untapped bouncelands?

Rakdos Murder-Gras

When Rakdos Murder-Gras enters the battlefield sacrifice it unless you return an untapped Mountan, Swamp, or Gate you control to it's owner's Hand.

: add to your mana pool.

Still +1 card without the temp loss but more restrictive on the land you can return. Too strong for uncommon?

Anyway, the 10 new lands in DM have got to be some variation on bouncelands, right? They are such a big part of what made Ravnica Ravnica.  

Untapped bouncelands?

Rakdos Murder-Gras

When Rakdos Murder-Gras enters the battlefield sacrifice it unless you return an untapped Mountan, Swamp, or Gate you control to it's owner's Hand.

: add to your mana pool.

Still +1 card without the temp loss but more restrictive on the land you can return. Too strong for uncommon?

Anyway, the 10 new lands in DM have got to be some variation on bouncelands, right? They are such a big part of what made Ravnica Ravnica.  

I think they are wary of bouncelands.

The uncommon slot is still open for mana fixing land, and if the theme of DGM is "two guilds unite" then most likely this will mean some form of triple land.

Wedge tri-lands would make this set the 5-color insanity that was Alara, but there is a precedent of tri-lands at uncommon.

Alternatively, if we assume for example that one of the alliances was Boros-Azorius, then you could have something like this:

Battalion Lighthouse
Land (U)
Battalion Lighthouse enters the battlefield tapped.
, sacrifice Battalion Lighthouse: search your library for a mountain, island, a card named Azorius Guildgate or a card named Boros Guildgate and put that card onto the battlefield tapped. Then shuffle your library.

I don't think you can get the mythic land outside the land slot. When they have to divide a set (Timeshifted sheet, double-faced cards), they don't overlap at all.
While it's not confirmed as of yet, the Mods at sally have received a tip from a source they consider to be reliable that says that the legendary land
Show
lets you win the game for having ten gates
They don't have the name or exact text though. 
While it's not confirmed as of yet, the Mods at sally have received a tip from a source they consider to be reliable that says that the legendary land
Show
lets you win the game for having ten gates
They don't have the name or exact text though. 

Looks mythic enough to me.

By the way, they are really pushing the alternate-win cards lately... Elocutors, Battle of Wits, Biovisionary, Door, Hellkite Tyrant, Lab Maniac, Vraska...

[<o>]
This thread community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... leans me toward ten 2-color lands and NOT wedge or arc lands.

As for guild alliances I could see some Mechanical overlap. Azorius cards with Extort, etc. 
Somehow, getting a rare shockland doesn't seem that interesting in limited. I'm just sayin', dual lands are usually a limited disappointment.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Somehow, getting a rare shockland doesn't seem that interesting in limited. I'm just sayin', dual lands are usually a limited disappointment.

Damng, I wish shocklands were in place of my 3 undercity plague, 2 luminate primordialand 2 illusionist's bracers :P
I play for fun
The article's information has been updated. You get 4 Dragon's Maze packs, one Gatecrash prerelease pack, and one RTR prerelease pack (except no promo in any of those two). For the last two, it's one for the guild you choose, and one for a guild that shares a color and is in the appropiate expansion set.

I love dual lands. I opened a Godless Shrine and a bunch of guildgates at the Gatecrash prerelease. That's very exciting. You don't have to worry about being color-screwed.
The article's information has been updated. You get 4 Dragon's Maze packs, one Gatecrash prerelease pack, and one RTR prerelease pack (except no promo in any of those two). For the last two, it's one for the guild you choose, and one for a guild that shares a color and is in the appropiate expansion set.

Im liking this alot.
I play for fun

I made a chart to help clarify what you might pull when you pick any given guild:
Show
Azorius (Dimir, Orzhov, Simic, Boros)

Izzet (Dimir, Gruul, Simic, Boros)

Rakdos (Dimir, Orzhov, Gruul, Boros)

Golgari (Dimir, Orzhov, Gruul, Simic)

Selesnya (Orzhov, Gruul, Simic, Boros)

Dimir (Azorius, Izzet, Rakdos, Golgari)

Orzhov (Azorius, Rakdos, Golgari, Selesnya)

Gruul (Izzet, Rakdos, Golgari, Selesnya)

Simic (Azorius, Izzet, Golgari, Selesnya)

Boros (Azorius, Izzet, Rakdos, Selesnya)
I wonder why they couldn't simply put a regular booster pack from the expansion that doesn't feature your guild.
I wonder why they felt the need to reprint the Gates when they could have just packaged them in DGM booster packs like they do with the RTR basic lands in GTC packs. All they need to do is take the basic land slot.

The alternate win condition mythic land sounds intriguing, but we'll have to wait until spoiler season to know for sure.

I realize this isn't a normal sized block, but what would a typical large-small-small sealed look like? 2-2-2?
I started really playing with Innistrad, and AVR sort of messed that up. (And I don't remember what Dark Ascension's sealed split was anyway.)
4-1-1 just seems weird, especialy since its using the guild packs again. At least I'll have a shot at Boros and hope for anything but Izzet.