Want to someday be able to illustrate for Wizards, please criticize my artwork and help me grow.

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey, my name is Raphael and I want to improve so that someday, I'll be able to illustrate MtG cards.

These are my latest artworks, you can see the rest of them at my DeviantART Page.

Please tell me what you think, what I should improve, all critiques are welcome.

Thanks,

Raphael 
Judging by these two pieces, your biggest problem is value. Right now you have your lightest lights, your darkest darks, and your highest contrasts all sort of scattered around the pieces. It makes it difficult to know what the most important element of the pieces are, and to tell what's supposed to be furthest forward in our vision. It also leads to some weird effects, like the way the cheek and the side of the brow in your first piece seem to jut much further forward than the rest of the face due to the overly intense highlight there.

Your anatomy could use some polishing but you're off to a good start in that you're strongly defining the three dimensional forms that compose your figures. That's good. I would recommend drawing more from life to get a strong sense of the muscle and bone structure, but keep that three dimensionality.

Costuming is imaginative, if a little weird and impractical (like, why would the woman have a bare stomach? Doesn't make a lot of sense).

Your take on Gideon seems pretty good, although I think you made the cheek bones too pronounced based on the other art we've OH HOLY CRAP GIDEON YOUR CAPE IS ON FIRE, JESUS [stomps out cape] You gotta be more careful around your girlfriend, dude!

Anyway, that's my take on things.

Do you do a lot of Magic fan art? 
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
Judging by these two pieces, your biggest problem is value. Right now you have your lightest lights, your darkest darks, and your highest contrasts all sort of scattered around the pieces. It makes it difficult to know what the most important element of the pieces are, and to tell what's supposed to be furthest forward in our vision. It also leads to some weird effects, like the way the cheek and the side of the brow in your first piece seem to jut much further forward than the rest of the face due to the overly intense highlight there.

Your anatomy could use some polishing but you're off to a good start in that you're strongly defining the three dimensional forms that compose your figures. That's good. I would recommend drawing more from life to get a strong sense of the muscle and bone structure, but keep that three dimensionality.

Costuming is imaginative, if a little weird and impractical (like, why would the woman have a bare stomach? Doesn't make a lot of sense).

Your take on Gideon seems pretty good, although I think you made the cheek bones too pronounced based on the other art we've OH HOLY CRAP GIDEON YOUR CAPE IS ON FIRE, JESUS [stomps out cape] You gotta be more careful around your girlfriend, dude!

Anyway, that's my take on things.

Do you do a lot of Magic fan art? 

Thanks so much for your critique.

Yes, I do.
I don't have much time to draw to myself, most of the time I'm doing commissions and artworks for others, but everytime I get some time to do some personal work, I end up drawing planeswalkers or characters with themes that remind me of my magic decks.
As I play Magic almost everyday, it influences a lot in my art, at least to a concept level.

I'll do some anatomy training, keep my lights focused where it's important and will be posting some more artworks in this thread.

Thanks so much,

Raphael

Did another piece, in this I tried to draw the attention more to the center of the piece, to the character, even thought I ended up doing some details with bright lights on the equipments.

Please tell me what you think, what I should improve, all critiques are welcome.

Thanks,

Raphael  
Hi Raphael!

I already see some improvement in your demon illustration compared to the 2 first you've posted. The light seems more consistent. I think that the equipment on his waist could have been tone down a little though. It's seems a little bit too bright.

My final advice would be to try create more textures. Everything seems to be really smooth. You could add a lot more realism if the horns were a more irregular texture (with creases and bumps) and you could put some veins, folds, or tears on the wings.

That's all I got for now! You seem to be on the right track though, so keep it up!

Cédric
Hello Raphael,

One thing that could help is looking at more reference.  For the demon's horns for instance, try Googling "ram horns".  You don't have to copy the reference, but just try working in some of the textures, details, and shapes into your design.

I found this as an example:
www.skullsunlimited.com/userfiles/image/...

I also agree with KeeperofManyNames on values.  You'll get better the more you paint.

Yeong Hao 
I'm with CDrice on the textures thing.
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
I have a background in 3D, so I can't help as much as the 2D artists, but will give what little advice I can. Along with texture, one thing that can help a lot is thinking of why the texture is there, from a real world point of view. For instace, if you have an old broom, along with a faded wood texture, it will generally be more worn and dirt around where people hold it.
Likewise, if you decided your demon uses its horns to fight a lot, depending on how they're used they may be rather beaten up - while if it used its fists to fight, you might want to add some scratches, ect.

Hope this helps