budget grixis control (mill and burn)

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I have an idea for a budget grixis control deck that mills and burns my opponent. Another criteria is that I only want to use cards from RtR and GtC...

unnumbered nonfinal decklist.

Spells
Cyclonic rift
Mizzium Mortars
Annihilating fire
Dreadbore
Essence Backlash
Izzet Charm
Rakdos's Return
Thought flare
Psychic Spiral
Grisley Spectacle
Dimir Charm
Mind Grind
Paranoid Delusions
Psychic Strike

Creatures
Guttersnipe
Hypersonic Dragon
Mercurial Chemister
Niv-Mizzet Dracogenious
Nivix Guildmage
Balustrade Spy
Consuming Aberration
Duskmantle Guildmage

Other
Rakdos Keyrune
Dimir Keyrune
Izzet Keyrune
Tablet of the Guilds

Lands
Rakdos Gate
Dimir Gate
Izzet Gate
then basics, even mix of swamp, island and mountain

other spells I was thinking about
Soul Ransom
Whispering Madness
Last Thoughts
Gridlock
Blustersquall
Rakdos charm
Explosive Impact
Syncopate
Aetherize
Inspiration

other creatures
Desecration Demon
Deathcult Rogue
Bane Alley Broker
Blistercoil Weird
Goblin Electromancer

Please help with this what can I add or take away and what would be a good number of each to put in.

I was thinking about most of the creatures running 2 ofs with the guttersnipe, balustrade spy and duskmantle guildmage being 3 or 4 ofs.

And really the budget part of this is the lands being that I refuse to spend 10 - 15 bucks each for the shock lands that I wouldn't bring in and take a life loss just to use it so it would come in tapped just like a gate.

thanks for your help.
Go mill or go burn.  Not both.

The reason being is the mana (and cardslots) you are spending in burn you could be spending in mill and vice versa which will in turn win games more quickly than doing both.  Generally in mill you don't care about their life total you just care that they run out of cards before you run out of life.  Conversely in burn you don't care how many cards are in their library but rather that life total reaches 0 before theirs does and you generally want to get it done by turn 5.

-NW "Behold blessed perfection!" --Sheoldred, Whispering One
Go mill or go burn.  Not both.

The reason being is the mana (and cardslots) you are spending in burn you could be spending in mill and vice versa which will in turn win games more quickly than doing both.  Generally in mill you don't care about their life total you just care that they run out of cards before you run out of life.  Conversely in burn you don't care how many cards are in their library but rather that life total reaches 0 before theirs does and you generally want to get it done by turn 5.

Thank you for your advice, I would like to keep it more on a mill feeling so I think that I will remove all of the burn type spells other than Rakdos's Return because it will burn and empty their hand making it tough to set up any defence against me. I will also keep the guttersnipe and more than likly I will run 4 of it just because with my deck being really sorcery and instant heavy the free burn from guttersnipe for each spell and being able to use him as a chump blocker for only 3 mana is good return in my book.

thanks again.
updated decklist

Spells                                                       Creatures/other                        Land 4 each    
Cyclonic rift                                               Guttersnipe                               Rakdos Gate Dreadbore                                                Hypersonic Dragon                    Izzet Gate
Essence Backlash                                     Mercurial Chemister                   Dimir Gate
Izzet Charm                                              Nivix Guildmage                         Island       
Rakdos's Return                                       Niv-Mizzet Dracogenious            Mountain
Thoughtflare                                             Consuming Abberation              Swamp
Rakdos Charm                                          Duskmantle Guildmage
Psychic spiral                                            Goblin Electromancer
Syncopate                                                Balustrade Spy
Dimir Charm                                              Rakdos Keyrune
Grisley Spectacle                                      Izzet Keyrune
Mind Grind                                                Dimir Keyrune
Paranoid Delusions                                  Tablet of the Guilds
Paychic strike

What and how many should I main board and same with side board or remove totally

thanks
okay ive come up with a decklist.

Creatures                                       Spells                                                  Land
Hypersonic Dragon x 2            Cyclonic Rift x 3                           Rakdos Guildgate x 4
Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius x 2  Dreadbore x 2                             Izzet Guildgate x 4
Consuming Aberration x 3      Essence Backlash x 2               Dimir Guildgate x 4
Duskmantle Guildmage x 2    Rakdos's Return x 2                   Island x 4
Balustrade Spy x 3                    Thoughtflare x 3                          Swamp x 4
Guttersnipe x 2                           Dimir Charm x 2                         Mountain x 4
                                                      Grisly Spectacle x 2
                                                      Mind Grind x 3
                                                      Psychic Strike x 2
                                                      Psychic Spiral x 2

Side board
Izzet Charm x 2
Rakdos Charm x 2
Guttersnipe x 2
Goblin Electromancer x 3
Duskmantle Guildmage x 2
Mercurial Chemister x 2
Mizzium Mortars x 2

Let me know what you think
I hate to be a lazy prick,  but can you had the  (c)(/c)  clause to each othe cards? It's easier to see what you're talkin' about instead of having to look each one up =/
I am White/Black
I hate to be a lazy prick,  but can you had the  (c)(/c)  clause to each othe cards? It's easier to see what you're talkin' about instead of having to look each one up =/

Sorry but I don't know how to do that.

Sorry but I don't know how to do that.

[c]Forest[/c] turns into Forest, which makes it easier for readers of your post to know what the text of the forests in your decklist is.
thank you etcetera. what do you think how viable might this deck be in standard.
Other than the little bit of removal you have, I don't see how this is a control deck.

Aggro decks will stomp all over you since all of your creatures are sooooo expenisve,  and the cheap creatures you have don't want to be fighting at all, so you have nothign to defend yourself with.

Alot of your spells are rediculously expensive too.  You're literally going to be playing only 1-2 spells(or creatures) per turn.  I don't see how you expect to burn/mill quickly....  vs other decks. 
I am White/Black
Other than the little bit of removal you have, I don't see how this is a control deck.

Aggro decks will stomp all over you since all of your creatures are sooooo expenisve,  and the cheap creatures you have don't want to be fighting at all, so you have nothign to defend yourself with.

Alot of your spells are rediculously expensive too.  You're literally going to be playing only 1-2 spells(or creatures) per turn.  I don't see how you expect to burn/mill quickly....  vs other decks. 

what would you change to make it more of a control mill deck while trying to stay within return to ravnica and gatecrash
I'll help you out when I get back from work ( I have to leave now)
I am White/Black
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" class="mceContentBody " contenteditable="true" />what would you change to make it more of a control mill deck while trying to stay within return to ravnica and gatecrash

The criteria is a little silly.  IMO a mill deck isn't a mill deck without Jace, Memory Adept which is a core card that will, in all likelihood, see reprint in M14.  Blue control without Snapcaster Mage is just rediculous.

If you are serious about winning FNM you will need these two cards.

There are great control cards in non R2R and GTC that are NOT expensive and are commons.

But first things first, I'd drop red entirely, and just go with a bug :U::B::G: build.

Lands
x4 Watery Grave
x4 Drowned Catacomb (will see reprint)
x2 Golgari Guildgate
x2 Nephalia Drownyard (Won't be reprinted anytime soon but is cheap anyway)
x5 Forest
x3 Swamp
x2 Island

Spells
x4 Mind Grind
x4 Fog
x3 Devastation Tide
x4 Victim of Night
x4 Psychic Strike
x4 Clinging Mists (I'm sure there's another fog effect that's probably better)
x4 Farseek
x3 Think Twice

Creatures
x4 Snapcaster Mage
x4 Consuming Aberration

You could probably swap Devastation Tide with more mill or more control and get away with it.  Ideally you'd want to take out 1 of each card to squeeze in 3 Jace, Memory Adept. Flat out, without Jace you will lose mirrior matches if they have Jace AND mind grind. Thought Scour is arguably better in mill than Think Twice in a milldeck.

-NW "Behold blessed perfection!" --Sheoldred, Whispering One
I appreciate your help with this but blue, black and red are my colors. Once Dragons Maze and 2014 drop I will see what gets reprinted in 2014 and then I may invest in a Jace or 2 and hopefully Nicol Bolas gets reprinted as well. I really want to eventually build the deck that destroys all at a gran prix and gets me to a pro tour but right now, I just cant see dropping money on 10 to 30 dollar cards that should be a playset in my deck.

I realize that there are holes in my deck at the moment that will need to be filled to make it competitve but just look at the direction I am going with it, almost every card works with other cards in the deck and most of them do more than one thing, thats the whole idea of this deck.
also i forgot to add, I refuse to use any of the shock lands because im not going to cause myself to lose 2 life just to use a land the turn I put it out. if I used the shock I would bring it out tapped so why pay $15.00 when the gates are exactly the same for 50 cents?
if I were to add things from a set due to rotate, I'd probably add Gem of Becoming for fetching ability, Sands of Delirium for the extra milling, Staff of Nin for the extra card a turn, and Evolving Wilds also for fetching ability and for only 4 buck a piece I would go ahead and get a couple of Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker
for basically the same effect for 2 more mana and one more point of toughness and more of a likelyhood of being reprinted in 2014 and for only 15 cents as opposed to $22.00 each wtf? I would use Archaeomancer over Snapcaster Mage anyday.
BEcause shocklands count as DOUBLE lands.. literally.  The  B/U one  counts as both an island AND a swamp,  which means your  drowned catacomb would not come in to play tapped.

If you are intent on just using gates,  there are some other cards that interact with gates.  A really nice combo for B/U mill would be  Undercity Informer and Undead Alchemist.  If you have the mana you could just keep on milling them over and over and over,  since the Undead Alchemist will probably spawn a few zombies which you could in turn  sacrifice to the informer to keep his milling going.

Throw in some Ghost Quarter to destroy special lands and to remove More lands from their library, so you can do longer Mill chains. 
I am White/Black
also i forgot to add, I refuse to use any of the shock lands because im not going to cause myself to lose 2 life just to use a land the turn I put it out. if I used the shock I would bring it out tapped so why pay $15.00 when the gates are exactly the same for 50 cents?

Your life total is a resource, just like the cards in your library.

If you can't afford shock lands that's one thing.  But you are deliberately handicapping yourself by not running them.  And yes, even control decks will have cause to pay the two life on occasion.

for basically the same effect for 2 more mana and one more point of toughness and more of a likelyhood of being reprinted in 2014 and for only 15 cents as opposed to $22.00 each wtf? I would use Archaeomancer over Snapcaster Mage anyday.

You are clearly undervaluing the ability to play snapcaster at instant speed.  Proxy them up and give it a try.  He made the transition into the eternal formats for a reason.  His power level is way beyond that of archeomancer.
Next thing you will tell me Browbeat is bad.
I believe that the gates count as both types of land that you can tap them for as well don't they?

I didn't see that Snapcaster had the flash ability, even still though, how likely is he to be reprinted any time soon as he is from an expansion set and not the core set? I think that for me personally, the Archaeomancer would fill the "get back my stuff" slot well enough and if snapcaster isn't reprinted then in standard at least the mancer might be a close enough replacement for many a control deck.

If they are to be reprinted in 2014 I will likely pick up a playset of Dragonskull Summit and Drowned Catacombs but for now $5 and $4 each isn't doable for the amount of time I will for sure get to use them.

Thank you for your insight into a few things that I should look at changing. Much appreciation for making me look to other options.
I believe that the gates count as both types of land that you can tap them for as well don't they?

No. LITERALLY READ THEIR LAND TYPE. 

Watery Grave

It LITERALLY SAYS    Island Swamp.

vs  Dimir Guildgate

I am White/Black
magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck_search_resul...

here is a list of decks that play with archaeomancer...

don't use it, no deck wins with it because snap is literally hands down better than that. and don't worry cause it will retain it's price for the eternal formats. 

also shocks > gates any day. remember you can choose not to pay the life
don't use it, no deck wins with it because snap is literally hands down better than that. and don't worry cause it will retain it's price for the eternal formats. 

also shocks > gates any day. remember you can choose not to pay the life

snapcaster may be continually useful and stay expensive in modern and legacy etc but once the innistrad block rotates out, he will be useless to me as I only play standard at this time. So even if he is 100 times better than the mancer, its really prohibitive at $22.00 each for me to buy a playset just to use until october.

Maybe if I pull some on color shocks in the dragons maze prerelease then Ill use it but I still wont pay for any outright.

for now though at less than $2 a card I have a list of very useful stuff for a grixis control deck from 2013 that will probably get reprinted in 2014 since almost of of it was only printed for the first time in 2013.

Once I finalize a new decklist, I will post it and see what you have to say about it.

thanks again for all your help and insight everyone.

They aren't going to pre-release shocklands for Dragons Maze.  and you realize it's going to be a few months for Dragons Maze to come out, right?
I am White/Black
They aren't going to pre-release shocklands for Dragons Maze.  and you realize it's going to be a few months for Dragons Maze to come out, right?

yes I realize its going to be a few months and they aren't releasing new shocks but in the packs you open, instead of basic lands there will only be gates or a shock from Rtr or the new mythic rare land that they are making for dragons maze.

at the Gtc prerelease I pulled a godless shrine and a breeding pool so I figure I at least have a chance of pulling another one or two at the Dgm prerelease or in a booster that I open anytime be it from Rtr, Gtc or when the time comes, Dgm.
Here is a bit of an updated list.

Creatures: 12
Archaeomancer
3 Hypersonic Dragon
3 Balustrade Spy
3 Consuming Aberration

Spells: 18
Cyclonic Rift
2 Dreadbore
2 Rakdos's Return
3 Thoughtflare
3 Mind Grind
2 Psychic Strike
2 Psychic Spiral
2 Skullcrack

Planeswalkers: 2
2 Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker

Other: 6
2 Gem of Becoming
2 Sands of Delirium
2 Staff of Nin

Lands: 23
4 Evolving Wilds
Rakdos Guildgate
Izzet Guildgate
Dimir Guildgate
4 Island
3 Swamp
3 Mountain

Sideboard: 15
3 Slaughter Games
3 Grisly Spectacle
2 Skullcrack
2 Rakdos Keyrune
2 Dimir Keyrune
2 Izzet Keyrune
1 Archaeomancer

Thanks for looking.

What would you do differently remember this is a "budget" build so no cards more than like $5.00 or so