What was your prerelease record?

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mine was 4-1-0 as Boros.

Joining the bandwagon of saying your GUild with your record.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

First day 1-0-3 with Simic. Still had fun, close matches. Second day, Orzhov, 3-0-1. Slow and steady wins the day.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
First prerelease was 2-2 as Orzhov.  Went for the all in Extort deck (around 10 extort creatures), but I think it turned out I just didn't have enough removal (only one of each Executioner's Swing, Smite and One Thousand Lashes).

Second prerelease was a 2 Headed Giant Sealed, which was a ton of fun.  My partner and I went 3-1, with me as Boros and him as Dimir.  For a bit I thought these two guilds might not work well together, but they actually did amazingly, getting in for some serious evasive damage.  In one game, the combination of my Skyknight Legionnaire with Madcap Skills and my partner's Keymaster Rogue encoded with Shadow Slice  ended the game quite quickly.  Also, my deck having Gideon helped  Man he was such a boss.
I played Gruul.

I went 3-1.

I beat 2x Boros and Dimir.
I lost to Gruul.
3-4 with a bad Dimir pool where I ended up Orzhov splash blue.

Then 6-0 with a sweet Gruul deck splashing Firemane Avenger, which (surprise!) is just a ridiculous bomb.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
4-1 first day with Gruul, losing only to the the #1 spot with only two legitimate bombs (Rubblebelt Raiders and [c]Legion Loyalist).  That said, I found myself running two Madcap Skils by the end of the day, as it took me a couple games to realize how ridiculous it was(I was running one at the start).  On *anything* it is just a ridiculous card, and putting it on the loyalist gave it some survivability and huge damage output.

3-1 the second day with Simic, with some ridiculous bombs (Simic Manipulator + Master Biomancer + Ivy Lane Denizen in your pool is just stupid, and add in two Forced Adaptations and the Manipulator just took complete control of the board and fast).  If I managed to get both the Manipulator and the Biomancer out, the opponent was left with very hard decisions about what little non-conditional removal they would use it on.  Usually the Manipulator, which meant that my creatures were *huge*, and if they took care of the Biomancer it meant that I took their board under my control.  Throw in 3 Drakewing Krasis, and if I got any one of my engines going it was a ridiculous situation for the opponent to overcome.  Fell flat a couple times though, and had problems with a very bomby Orzhov deck that just spat out removal, bombs, cheap extorters, walls, and the like. 

All-in-all I can't wait to draft this set.  Seems a lot more fun and a whole lot less straight forward than RtR.

3-3 with Dimir splash blue.  Was 3-1 after four rounds and then the wheels came off.

Thought about another flight, but didn't make it.

Should be fun to draft.
3-1 the first day, choosing Simic guild but instead playing a Boros/Orzhov mix. Really decent deck, losing only to my horrible plays. The second day I wanted to try Simic again, and this time got a really solid evolve deck with a great curve. It just lacked bombs, which I think was the reason for a loss against Orzhov. Also went 3-1.
3-3 first day with Boros.  Good card pool but I lost mostly due to strong opponents and hesitation on my part.  Still had fun.

3-1-1 yesterday with Gruul and a so-so card pool.  Bloodrush was awesome, though, and paralyzed some of my opponents with indecision.  My only loss was to the guy who went on to win the event with a Dimir deck.
3-1 with Orzhov and losing to another Orzhov deck in the first round. Should have probably been 4-0 based on strength of deck, but had to mull and drew really really bad in the one loss. Opened a Crypt Ghast, and Obzedat. Had 14 B/W removal spells in my pool, was pretty crazy.
4-2 with Boros.  But as my wins were all 2-1 and my losses both 0-2, I was at the bottom of my tiebreaker pool, so while some other 4-2s got little prizes by breaking the top 12 of a 59-player pool, I landed at #14.
It was a looooong weekend, but I was able to go 4-1 with orzhov, 4-1 with simic, 2-3 with gruul (though this was an intentionally non-competetive build), 4-0 with boros, and 3-0 in 2-Headed Giant with boros and an orzhov teammate.

For reference I had a pretty sick pool for Gruul aggro with a light splash of blue, but when I took a second look at my pool, I just had to do this:

Creatures: 13

Drakewing Krasis
Keymaster Rogue
Greenside Watcher X2
Hellraiser Goblin X2
Ivy Lane Denizen
Zameck Guildmage
Crocanura
Rubblehulk X2
Fathom Mage
Borborygmos Enraged

Non-creature spells: 10

Orzhov Keyrune
Dimir Keyrune
Prophetic Prism
Gruul Keyrune
Verdant Haven X2
Pit Fight X2
Mugging
Ground Assault

Lands: 17

Gruul Guildgate
Boros Guildgate
Simic Guildgate
Forest X8
Island X3
Mountain X3

I did get 8 mana turn 4 in one game, but I had neither rubblehulk, or borby unfortunately. It involved having a gate, a haven and both gate untappers, which is an interaction to keep in mind for draft.

The notable sideboard was 2 madcap skills, 2 of the 2/2 pay red for first strike, and a bunch of other bloodrushers(at least 4), can't remember exactly, and I let my sideboard get mixed with my other pools after the fact.
Played Dimir, went 5-2, with only one of the losses being 0-2 and 4/5 of the wins being 2-0. Played against Naya, Orzhov, two Boros players, Simic, and two Dimir players. Lost against the Simic and one of the Boros players.

Was pretty happy and proud with myself since I went in expecting to lose considering everybody I know thought Dimir was going to be the worst Guild unless they got some kind of god pool from their boosters.
Boros all the way. 4-2 (alms Beast.dec), 4-0-1, 3-1-1 (both intentional), 2-1 (2HG, partner was Simic)
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
Went 2-2 with simic. The mirror match was a nightmare with all the counters it was impossible to figure out if you have any good attacks or blocks. 3-1 with ohrzov. My life total score sheet was hillarous especially in the mirror match.
4-2 with Boros and 3-1 with Gruul.
I went 5-2 with Gruul.

"This list much made Niche barf a lil' in his mouth, so I can be proud of that." -rstnme

I went 3-2-1 with Gruul.  The draw was due to time, and it sucked because my next top deck was a Rubblehulk that would've won the game on my Crowned Ceratok. Won one pack.  I had more fun with Evolve than Bloodrush, so second time around i switched to Simic and went 4-2.  There was some contraversy about our top 8, apparently myself and another fellow were screwed out of it by whoever was doing the scorekeeping because our tiebreakers were better or something.  I didn't really care that much, because it was 2 a.m. and i was fine with 2 free packs.  
2-3 with dimir.

Almost got 3-2, but lost the last game cuz of mana problems (2 islands for 8 turns...? really?)

one of the match I could only play 1 game of. 
3-1 simic.

2x Zameck Guuldmage with 3x Metropolis sprites and 3x Spire Tracers for some serious evasion.
3-1 simic.

2x Zameck Guuldmage with 3x Metropolis sprites and 3x Spire Tracers for some serious evasion.
Boros all the way. 4-2 (alms Beast.dec), 4-0-1, 3-1-1 (both intentional), 2-1 (2HG, partner was Simic)

At a not-prerelease, didn't actually happen with the guild packs, I went 3-1 with Boros.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
first sealed, went boros splashing black, 4-0.  day 2 went gruul.  misbuilt my pool.  should have ditched my weaker green in favor of better boros drops.  went 1-2-1.  really dislike bloodrush in general.   

boros 2-1 (lost in 3-0 match)

Dimir 2-1 (lost in 3-0 match)

Gruul 3-1

Orzhov 3-1

Simic 1-1 (single elimination)

10 - 0 with boros.

Chose boros as my guild, opened some sweet cards. A couple of 1-drops, a horde of 2-drops and two skyknights, often enabled batallion on turn 3.
Rares included Firemane Avenger, 2 foundry champions and assemble the legion.
i met orzhov almost exclusively, and won all my 7 matches in the sealed, got in as number 1 in the top 8

in the top 8 draft, i made another boros deck, when i first picked a spark trooper. I had a good record with boros already, and i knew how to play it now.
won my way to the finals, where my opponent said he would conceed if we split the boosters. Having played for over 12 hours, i agreed, and brought home 39 gatecrash boosters.

this was in Oslo, Norway if anyone wonders

(assemble the legion + massive raid, and madcap skills on a flyer makes all the difference)
3-1 w/ gruul at the pre release for me.

Guild pack included an extra copy of rubblehulk, and got lucky with an on color raider.  The rest of the deck was curved to be nearly creature-less until turn 3, and explosively powerful late game.  I ran 2 7/6 wurms, double hulks, and a slew of other 4-5cc creatures.  Ran the gate untapper, and 2 verdant growths along with 16 lands to compensate.  Since I was vunerable to boros rush, I ran 3 muggins, 1 raid, 1 homing lightning, and double pit fight.

Lost game 1 0-2 to boros on a t-4 and t-6 angel beatdown. 

Won game 2 against a poorly build gruul deck 2-0

Won game 3 against a solid boros 2-1 after losing round 1 when I should have won, but misplayed.  VERY close.

Won game 4 against a less bomby, but far more consistant boros deck.  He ran 2 legionaires and had a ton of 1, 2, and 3 drop creautres along with madcap skills and the +3/0 +0/3 instant rather easily where everyone else he played struggled, thanks mainly to mugging his legionaires, and killing his 3rd creature to keep him off of battalion, or anyone he tried to put the enchantment on.  

Many wouldn't recommend it, but I ran 2 madcap skills and 2 alpha authority to give my creature unblockability and safetly send bloodrush through.

Wish there was more than 4 rounds.....finished 3rd. 
10 - 0 with boros.

Chose boros as my guild, opened some sweet cards. A couple of 1-drops, a horde of 2-drops and two skyknights, often enabled batallion on turn 3.
i met orzhov almost exclusively, and won all my 7 matches in the sealed, got in as number 1 in the top 8

in the top 8 draft, i made another boros deck, when i first picked a spark trooper. I had a good record with boros already, and i knew how to play it now.
won my way to the finals, where my opponent said he would conceed if we split the boosters. Having played for over 12 hours, i agreed, and brought home 39 gatecrash boosters.

(assemble the legion + massive raid, and madcap skills on a flyer makes all the difference)

I know this is off-topic, but that sounds like a minor rules violation; the result of a match must not be influenced by material incentives (that is technically bribery). I'm sure it was not a big issue, but just keep it in mind the future (arranging alternative prize structures such as evening out prizes is fine - as long as it is not done in a negotiation of a match result).
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
First prerelease: Gruul Guild Pack, went Gruul with a pretty sick pool (TWO Clan Defiance), but ended up getting mana screwed in matches 2 and 3, so I went 1-2 drop.

Second Prerelease: Orzhov Guild Pack, went Orzhov splashing a single mountain for an Assemble the Legion (which I never got to see in a game outside of the mountain getting milled away once, lol) and went 4-0-1 (intentional draw for packs, winnings based on your record, not standings)

Third Prerelease: Orzhov Guild Pack, solidly Orzhov but missing my MVPs from the second pool: Alms Beast, Holy Mantle, and Gift of Orzhova.  Went 4-1.  (Lost first round, but then won the rest).  Ended up 7th out of 38.
10 - 0 with boros.

I know this is off-topic, but that sounds like a minor rules violation; the result of a match must not be influenced by material incentives (that is technically bribery). I'm sure it was not a big issue, but just keep it in mind the future (arranging alternative prize structures such as evening out prizes is fine - as long as it is not done in a negotiation of a match result).

This was mostly because they need a winner in the finals, it can't be a draw. Since we didn't want to play it out after 12 hours (and the place was closing) one of us had to officially drop. Since i had the chance to get 10 - 0 on paper, he chose to drop.
Sign In to post comments