Hulk-Inspired Build

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've been wanting to make a build inspired by the dual-fisted, grab-and-smash, nigh-invulnerable Hulk.

At first I was thinking a Goliath Fighter(Brawler)/Monk/Pit Fighter/Eternal Defender, but couldn't come up with some very nice resist all, so I thought maybe a Revenant(???) to take advantage of a Belt of Sonnlinors Righteousness.

I'll miss the bonus to Str, but I think it could still be an effective build.

Thoughts?
Sig
Yes, I killed your BBEG with his own lair:
Setting: Tomb with a perilous bridge and cliff 100 feet above a lava pit. Mummy pops out of his sarcophagus, initiative: Felix, Half-Elf Artificer: Twin Strike with crossbow. Trump (ala Donald), Eladrin Warlord: Charges mummy with Opening Shove, pushing off the cliff. Mummy fails saving throw, and falls into pit. Sanshiro (ala Japanese "superhero" Segata), Minotaur Barbarian: Strength check to lift sarcophagus and carry to cliff. Free action, drop sarcophagus into square above mummy. Sarcophagus drops on mummy, shoving him further down into lava. Mummy: proceeds to make a series of horrible athletics checks to swim and climb cliff. Dies a horrible death with lava permeating every orifice. Entire Party: Watches on in delight, faces alit with the glow of lava and flaming undead.
Original CharOpper
I soap myself up, and turn up the hot water in the shower, so my sweat mixes with the soap, slickening my skin: +5 to grapple I use my own legs as a shield since only upper-body hits matter: +5 defense I use my teammates bodies to construct a vehicle for myself, and dual-wield their weapons because as long as I win, we all win: +10 attack, +10 defense I completely ignore the enemy, their attacks, the devastating damage they are dealing to me and my team, and strike directly for their base, completely obliterating them, their way of life, and any chance they had at survival as a species: WIN Ender: The Original CharOpper and Power Gamer.
Dreadnought seems much more appropriate than Pit Fighter
Yeah.  Dreadnought would be nice for ending effects, but I was trying to make his fists as strong as possible.
Sig
Setting: Tomb with a perilous bridge and cliff 100 feet above a lava pit. Mummy pops out of his sarcophagus, initiative: Felix, Half-Elf Artificer: Twin Strike with crossbow. Trump (ala Donald), Eladrin Warlord: Charges mummy with Opening Shove, pushing off the cliff. Mummy fails saving throw, and falls into pit. Sanshiro (ala Japanese "superhero" Segata), Minotaur Barbarian: Strength check to lift sarcophagus and carry to cliff. Free action, drop sarcophagus into square above mummy. Sarcophagus drops on mummy, shoving him further down into lava. Mummy: proceeds to make a series of horrible athletics checks to swim and climb cliff. Dies a horrible death with lava permeating every orifice. Entire Party: Watches on in delight, faces alit with the glow of lava and flaming undead.
Original CharOpper
I soap myself up, and turn up the hot water in the shower, so my sweat mixes with the soap, slickening my skin: +5 to grapple I use my own legs as a shield since only upper-body hits matter: +5 defense I use my teammates bodies to construct a vehicle for myself, and dual-wield their weapons because as long as I win, we all win: +10 attack, +10 defense I completely ignore the enemy, their attacks, the devastating damage they are dealing to me and my team, and strike directly for their base, completely obliterating them, their way of life, and any chance they had at survival as a species: WIN Ender: The Original CharOpper and Power Gamer.
And if you're getting resistances from elsewhere, Dreadnought is pretty meh. The powers suck, and the resist it gives is conditional as hell except the AP feature. Pit Fighter is much better at +damage.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Theme: Ironwrought

Trying to get mutliple instances of THPs would also help.

Kensai might be a better option for more damage. 
Sensate alternatively, for the temps bit.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!

Oh that is nice. Hulk the pleasure-seeker Smile

Oh that is nice. Hulk the pleasure-seeker 

Of course.

You haven't seen this?

Ironwrought was the planned theme.
Sig
Original CharOpper
Martyr Avenger seems like a much better fit for The Hulk than anything else tbqh. It has the smarts to represent Banner and the Professor, it gets stronger the more you hit it, and the list goes on and on.
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).

Show

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Hulk, level 30
Goliath, Fighter/Barbarian, Pit Fighter, Eternal Defender
Versatile Expertise Option: Versatile Expertise (Unarmed)
Versatile Expertise Option: Versatile Expertise (Spear)
Hybrid Talent Option: Combat Specialty
Combat Specialty Option: Combat Agility (Hybrid)
Arcane Student Who Saw Too Much (Arcane Student Who Saw Too Much Benefit)
Theme: Ironwrought

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 30, CON 16, DEX 20, INT 12, WIS 14, CHA 10

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 18, CON 12, DEX 13, INT 10, WIS 11, CHA 8

AC: 44 Fort: 51 Ref: 45 Will: 41
HP: 205 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 51

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +32, Endurance +23, Intimidate +20

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +19, Arcana +16, Bluff +15, Diplomacy +15, Dungeoneering +17, Heal +17, History +16, Insight +17, Nature +19, Perception +17, Religion +16, Stealth +19, Streetwise +15, Thievery +19

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Ironwrought Attack: Inevitable Strike
Goliath Racial Power: Stone's Endurance
Fighter Attack: Combat Challenge
Fighter Attack: Combat Agility
Fighter At-Will: Grappling Strike
Barbarian At-Will: Run Down
Fighter Encounter 1: Takedown Attack [Replaced at 13 by Menacing Surge]
Barbarian Daily 1: Macetail's Rage [Replace at 25 by Clawed Ancestor Rage]
Ironwrought Utility 2: Steely Resolve
Barbarian Encounter 3: Brutal Slam [Replaced at 27 by Hurricane of Blades]
Fighter Daily 5: Rain of Steel [Replaced at 15 by Unyielding Avalanche]
Ironwrought Utility 6: Ironwrought Toughness
Barbarian Encounter 7: Great Shout [Replaced at 23 by Berserker's Shout]
Barbarian Daily 9: Stoneroot Rage [Replaced at 19 by Smash and Grab]
Barbarian Utility 10: Wellspring of Renewal
Pit Fighter Attack 11: All Bets Are Off
Pit Fighter Utility 12: Deadly PaybackFighter Encounter 13: Menacing Surge [Replaced at 17 by Vicious Uppercut]
Fighter Daily 15: Unyielding Avalanche [Replaced at 29 by Force the Battle]
Fighter Utility 16: Mighty Surge
Fighter Attack 17: Vicious Uppercut
Fighter Attack 19: Smash and Grab
Pit Fighter Attack 20: Lion of Battle
Fighter Utility 22: Battle Furor
Barbarian Attack 23: Berserker's Shout
Barbarian Attack 25: Clawed Ancestor Rage
Eternal Defender Utility 26: Implacable Destruction
Barbarian Attack 27: Hurricane of Blades
Fighter Attack 29: Force the Battle

FEATS
Level 1: Versatile Expertise
Level 2: Pin Down
Level 4: Master at Arms
Level 6: Improved Grab
Level 8: World Serpent's Grasp
Level 10: Superior Fortitude
Level 11: Armor Proficiency: Chainmail
Level 12: Improved Defenses
Level 14: Deadly Rage
Level 16: Hybrid Talent
Level 18: Vicious Advantage
Level 20: Improved Initiative (Retrained at 21 to Superior Initiative)
Level 21: Superior Initiative
Level 21: Rapid Combat Challenge
Level 22: Crushing Grab
Level 24: Martial Mastery
Level 26: Epic Will
Level 28: Epic Reflexes
Level 30: Epic Fortitude

ITEMS
Periapt of Cascading Health +6 x1
Ring of Free Time x1
War Ring x1
Sash of Ensnarement x1
Boar Tusk Helm (epic tier)
Giant Gloves x1
Iron Armbands of Power (epic tier) x1
Boots of Caiphon x1
Spiritmail of Enduring Health +6 x1
Bloodiron Talid (Large) +6 x1
Feyslaughter Talid (Large) +4 x1
Grasping Trident (Large) +5
Grasping Trident (Large) +4
====== End ======

Hulk

I liked your idea, but instead of Hybrid Fighter/Monk, Fighter/Barbarian for rage.

Focus primarily on grabs, little bit of charging and a shout (for flavor).

I though about taking an encounter for Jump attacks (go Hulk jumps) but just isn't worth it.

Item wise, tried to shore up weaknesses (teleporting away = fey weapon, saving throws = neck, another second wind = armor).

Then flavour, belt for grab reach, giant gloves for guarenteeing a grab, and boar tusk helm for those times when you have 2 things grabbed and just need to headbutt something.

Bloodiron Talid is just...whatever, probably better out there.
Grasping Tridents for flying creatures and for extra grabs per encounter.

Edit: Cleaned up Spoiler

The Incredible Hulk is okay. The Amazing Bulk is where it is at though.
And here I always thought Warden Forms were "hulking out" way more than rages ever were.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
I wasn't planning to hybrid Monk; just multiclass.  MC for the Monk Unarmed Strike.

The problem I'm running into is that all of the items a brawler wants (giant gloves, waistband of the grappler/sash of ensnarement/goliath's belt) interferes with other planned items (gauntlets of destruction, belt of sonnlinors righteousness).

Also, if I go Revenant, I can't get a racial bump to STR, and I could never forgive myself if Hulk didn't get up to a full 30 Str.

This leaves me depending on other Resist All (Ironwrought gets it pretty easily) that doesn't get anywhere near to the Resist All that a Revenant can pull off.  Also, trying to fit in a maxed Str with a nice Con and a Dex for some of the feats makes the abilities too tight to fit in a Cha/Wis to qualify for Superior Will (which a Revenant wants).

I suppose I could just let the Revenant thing go and let a high HP and Def be the "Invulnerability" of Hulk, but it always seemed like he just took hits and it didn't hurt, and what little did he regenerated.  On that subject, a sash of regeneration is easy access to regeneration, but has the same item problem.
Sig
Original CharOpper
Nobody suggested Misshapen for a Theme?
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
Yeah because misshapen sucks.
Unfortunately, it might be worth thinking about getting Gammatouched, Lasting Gamma, Gamma Heart and a Gamma weapon.
Unfortunately, it might be worth thinking about getting Gammatouched, Lasting Gamma, Gamma Heart and a Gamma weapon.

Can you use that with a Gamma Charge build?

Not enough room Cry you need all the brawler goodness for both items and feats.
Yeah because misshapen sucks.

OK Damn it, I know it's not Over 9,000 CharOp levels, but still, it fits the actual 'theme' of the build.

Let me rephrase: IMO, Misshapen 'kinda' fits the theme for Hulk.
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
Not really. It does nothing to emphasize the physical force of the hulk, his resilience, or otherwise. And the fluff really doesn't jive well at all.
Werebear could work. Add some claw gloves to the actual smashing and grabbing.
Werebear could work. Add some claw gloves to the actual smashing and grabbing.

This is a good theme suggestion right here.
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
Instead of Goliath what about a Werebear Warforged Fighter|Barbarian or Warden/MC Monk/Warforged Juggernaught/Eternal Defender or Undying Warrior?
Since going Revenant to use BoSR would not bump Str, I don't consider that an option.

One of the Were themes OR Longtooth Shifter would both be options to gain reliable regeneration (which could be bumped some more with Rapid Regeneration).  Longtooth Shifter has additional ways to increase it's regeneration through various feats, though trying to meet the requirements for all of them at once requires something of an awkward build.

So, if Longtooth Shifter is my source of regen, that opens up Ironwrought to be my source of resist all.

So that leaves the question of what class/MC/PP/ED combination to go for and what weapon to use.

I'd like to stick with Monk Unarmed Strike if possible, which would take up the MC slot.  I know there isn't much feat support for it, but that would be ok, assuming most of the feats of the build went toward ways to increase damage, rather than some sort of weapon support.

I was thinking Berserker or Fighter(Brawler) or possibly a hybrid Fighter|Barbarian as the base class.  If Fighter is in there, and I'm using Unarmed Strike, then I still think Shock Trooper and Eternal Defender are the way to go.  Though the builder doesn't have a large monk unarmed strike, we know what dice it should go up to.

Berserker provides a nice damage boost built in, though, and I've been told it's a waste of resources to try and increase the damage die of the MUS anyway.

So how does a Berserker/Monk sound?
Sig
Original CharOpper
So how does a Berserker/Monk sound?

Confused. Tongue Out

Right now me and my group are building a grappling monk here are the first few levels it might help in your Hulk build.

Butterfly Slam                                                                       Monk Feature

Your enemy’s first mistake was to strike at you and with a heavy grab

and deft lift you send him crashing to the ground with a hard slam.

At-Will*Psionic

Free Action                            Melee Touch

Trigger: Attacker strikes you

Target: Attacking creature

Attack: Dex vs. Reflex

Hit: You grab and slam target to the ground, and able to make a

basic melee attack.

Instant Stand

AT-Will*Psionic

Minor Action

Effect: You stand up instantly.

Nerve Touch: Level 1                                                           Monk Feature

A man is only as strong as the pain he can endure.

At-Will*Psionic

Attack Technique

Standard Action                 Melee touch

Target: One creature

Attack: Dexterity vs. Will

Hit:1d8 + Strength Modifier, on-going damage 2 and target takes a -2 to all attacks

until save.

Stunning Touch: level 11                                                      Monk Feature

With a subtle strike your opponent loses his ability to move.

Encounter*Psionic

Attack Technique

Standard Action                             Melee touch

Hit: 2d8 + Strength modifier damage and target is stunned until save.

Special: On save target takes -4 to all Attacks for 3 rounds.

Paralyzing Touch: level 21                                                   Monk Feature

Your devastating strike has caused your enemy to fall unconscious.

Encounter*Psionic

Attack Technique

Standard Action                             Melee touch

Hit: 3d8 + Strength Modifier damage and target is paralyzed until save.

Special: On save target takes -6 to all Attacks for 4 rounds.

POWERS

Rolling Tide                                                               Monk Attack 1

With a deft movement you flip your enemy over you and land upon him in

the perfect position to dispatch him.

At-Will* Full Discipline, Implement, Psionic

Attack Technique

Standard Action                                         Melee touch

Attack: Dexterity vs. Reflex

Hit: 2d4 + Strength modifier damage and you throw target prone to adjacent

square with you on top. If target has made an opportunity attack against you

during this turn, the target takes extra damage = to your Wisdom modifier.

Level 21: 2d8 + Strength modifier damage

Special: May use in place of basic melee attack

The Persistent Ocean                                                            Monk Attack 1

Like the ever moving ocean your strikes crash upon you enemy sending him into a

retreat, but his movement only sets him into another one of your attacks.

At-Will* Full Discipline, Implement, Psionic

Attack Technique

Hit: 1d4 + Strength modifier, target is knocked back 1 square and you shift into

target’s square.

Special: As long as the target is adjacent to you, you can continue the attack as a minor

Action. Target takes -3 to attack until it breaks free.

The Boar Push Strike                                                           Monk Attack 1

Like the charging boar you push your opponent into a worse position.

Encounter*Full Discipline, Implement, Psionic

Attack Technique

Hit: 1D10 + Strength modifier target is pushed back 2 squares.

Killer Whale Tail Strike                                                       Monk Attack 1

With the skill of the Killer whale you isolate your target for the kill.

Daily*Implement, Psionic

Attack Technique

Standard Technique                                              Close burst 1

Target: All enemies in burst

Hit: 2D10 + Strength modifier damage

Effect: Each enemy in burst is pushed back a number of squares equal to

1 + Wisdom modifier

Slow Fall                                                                                Monk Utility 2

Utility

Movement

Effect: Half damage to all falling damage from any height.

it might help with the gab and smash attacks. 
This is all homebrew, and does not belong here. Not to mention it is HILARIOUSLY overpowerd.
Homebrew (so go away), Painful to the eyes (I know the forum cuts you slowly, but please if you are going to post make it at least readable) and horrifically worded/overpowered (please edit them).
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
This is all homebrew, and does not belong here. Not to mention it is HILARIOUSLY overpowerd.

Seriously.

It also shows a dramatic lack of understanding of what the Full Discipline keyword means, and of when classes pick up class features (a hint; F11 and F21 come from PP and ED respectively).

Yipe.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.