4 decks- What should I improve, What should I get first

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm fairly new to MTG in general, and I tried making several decks. Well they were good, just I couldn't play them in standard, so I came up with a few standard decks. All I want is your opinion on which decks I should get and how I should change them. I'm also on a limit, so keep it budget, although if needed I could make a list of all the cards I own.

Removed B/R deck for now,made a B/W. I did find a nice 10$ mono red deck.

Deck 1: Werewolves(can't do much in way of variation with this, anyways I haven't bought most of these yet other than land)
Costs $28.02 Before card covers.

Orb is mostly just to help counter certain spells. Mostly burn to myself, if anyone knows a good anti creature burn could you let me know?

Deck 2 - Black/White Exalted
Cost: $16
[deck]

4 Tormented Soul
2 Duty-Bound Dead
4 Knight of Infamny 
2 Knight of Glory 
4 Aven Squire
4 Vampire Nighthawk
4 Guardians of Akrasa
3 Undying Evil
4 Divine Favor
4 Dark Favor
3 Oblivion Ring

4 Evolving Wilds
9 Swamp
9 Plains[/deck]

Deck 3- Discard Rats 
Cost: About $15
[deck]

18 Swamp

2 Ghost quarter

4 Drainpipe Vermin

4 Pack Rat

4 Ravenous Rats

4 Typhoid Rats

4 Black cat

4 Duress

3 Mind Rot

3 Shrieking Affliction

4 Sign in Blood

4 Bone Splinters

2 Sever the bloodline

2 Murder[/deck].

[/deck]

So any constructive criticism would be nice. Also if I somehow made these nonstandard let me know please. 

Deck 1: You'll want to get rid of some of the weaker stuff. Such as bellows lizard, zombie goliath, walking corpse, assassin's strike, and pyroconvergence. You should be able to easily get some commons or uncommons that are a lot better than those cards.

Deck 2:  You probably want 4 mayor of avabruck as it's one of the best cards for werewolves. I would also add another 2 or 3 lands. I would also recommend instigator gang over mondronen shaman. Gang gives you a lot more damage potential( 3 more damage per attacking creature when flipped vs 2 damage when your opponent casts a spell). Gang is also better when not fipped as you still get some bonus.

Deck 3: This deck is almost entirely non standard cards. The only cards in standard are avacyn's pilgrim, centaur healer, fog, and your lands. Do a google search for magic gatherer and use advanced search and set the format to standard. That will give you a good resource to tell if a card is standard legal.

Deck 4: I would do a few less lands. Most of your spells are one or two mana. You could probably do 22-23 lands and be fine. Also use something besides public execution. 6 mana is too expensive for removal.        

"This list much made Niche barf a lil' in his mouth, so I can be proud of that." -rstnme

Deck 1: You'll want to get rid of some of the weaker stuff. Such as bellows lizard, zombie goliath, walking corpse, assassin's strike, and pyroconvergence. You should be able to easily get some commons or uncommons that are a lot better than those cards.

Deck 2:  You probably want 4 mayor of avabruck as it's one of the best cards for werewolves. I would also add another 2 or 3 lands. I would also recommend instigator gang over mondronen shaman. Gang gives you a lot more damage potential( 3 more damage per attacking creature when flipped vs 2 damage when your opponent casts a spell). Gang is also better when not fipped as you still get some bonus.

Deck 3: This deck is almost entirely non standard cards. The only cards in standard are avacyn's pilgrim, centaur healer, fog, and your lands. Do a google search for magic gatherer and use advanced search and set the format to standard. That will give you a good resource to tell if a card is standard legal.

Deck 4: I would do a few less lands. Most of your spells are one or two mana. You could probably do 22-23 lands and be fine. Also use something besides public execution. 6 mana is too expensive for removal.        

For the third deck, A website says those are all standard, I go to official site and it says they aren't. Site needs to be updated =/ For the fourth deck what would you suggest replacing the land/PE with?

For they mayors, I can only currently buy 2 of them. 

Deck 4- Discard Rats 
Cost: About 12$

You're first three decks I'm not going to address as you've requested me to evaluate deck 4.

Now, I'm going to stick with your game plan for the most part but there are a few cards that should go.

First things first.  You're running mono-black, 25 lands is about 5 too many.  You'll be fine with 20, run 22 at most.  I could argue since most of your stuff is going to have a CMC of 1 or 2  combined with card draw(Sign in Blood) you could run as low as 18.  Getting the right amount of land in this deck is going to take some extensive play testing.  You should also consider Ghost Quarter to get rid of your opponents utility lands such as Kessig Wolf Run.  Your deck is going to run fine on 3 to 4 mana so losing a land isn't that big of a deal to you.

While not a rat, I feel Black Cat should be in this deck.  He is one of those cards you an pretty much attack with every turn and get your 1 point of damage in as your opponent in most cases is going to be reluctant to block it.

Go with 3 Mind Rot and 4 Duress.  Turn 1 Duress is a great way to screw up your opponents game play, especially if you are on the play.

Get rid of public execution.  I'd much rather see a more direct approach with this deck.  You can run just about any other removal card and get more bang for your buck.

Tribute to Hunger
Murder
Ultimate Price
Death Wind(you'll have to bump up your mana base if you use this due to the x cost, the upswing is though it deals with indestructables)
Sever the Bloodline
Killing Glare
etc.

Bone Splinters is great if you have the mana open to sacrifice Drainpipe Vermin or if you run Black Cat.

2 Cavern of Souls should also be considered.

The primary mono-black spot removal cards in standard right now are Ultimate Price and Sever the Bloodline.  You should be running a playset of both.  If your opponent gets a big creature on the battlefield or wipes your board you will be in a lot of trouble.

I would run Cremate as a side as some decks won't mind you making them discard.  This will either force their hand and use flashback when they don't want to or lose the flashback entirely.  It drops for and it doubles as a draw mechanic.

Finally I would consider running 2 Liliana of the Veil here as she will also facilitate spot removal and discard.

-NW "Behold blessed perfection!" --Sheoldred, Whispering One
Probably Victim of Night instead of public execution. It will kill most of the things that public execution does, but for a third of the mana. Underworld Connections instead of two lands. Basically they are sign in bloods 5 and 6. Gives you a few more cards to discard to pack rat or more discard. They should only be about 75 cents each and are pretty useful for that price.

"This list much made Niche barf a lil' in his mouth, so I can be proud of that." -rstnme

Deck 4- Discard Rats 

You're first three decks I'm not going to address as you've requested me to evaluate deck 4.

Now, I'm going to stick with your game plan for the most part but there are a few cards that should go.

First things first.  You're running mono-black, 25 lands is about 5 too many.  You'll be fine with 20, run 22 at most.  I could argue since most of your stuff is going to have a CMC of 1 or 2  combined with card draw(Sign in Blood) you could run as low as 18.  Getting the right amount of land in this deck is going to take some extensive play testing.  You should also consider Ghost Quarter to get rid of your opponents utility lands such as Kessig Wolf Run.  Your deck is going to run fine on 3 to 4 mana so losing a land isn't that big of a deal to you.

While not a rat, I feel Black Cat should be in this deck.  He is one of those cards you an pretty much attack with every turn and get your 1 point of damage in as your opponent in most cases is going to be reluctant to block it.

Go with 3 Mind Rot and 4 Duress.  Turn 1 Duress is a great way to screw up your opponents game play, especially if you are on the play.

Get rid of public execution.  I'd much rather see a more direct approach with this deck.  You can run just about any other removal card and get more bang for your buck.

Tribute to Hunger
Murder
Ultimate Price
Death Wind(you'll have to bump up your mana base if you use this due to the x cost, the upswing is though it deals with indestructables)
Sever the Bloodline
Killing Glare
etc.

Bone Splinters is great if you have the mana open to sacrifice Drainpipe Vermin or if you run Black Cat.

The primary mono-black spot removal cards in standard right now are Ultimate Price and Sever the Bloodline.  You should be running a playset of both.  If your opponent gets a big creature on the battlefield or wipes your board you will be in a lot of trouble.

I would run Cremate as a side as some decks won't mind you making them discard.  This will either force their hand and use flashback when they don't want to or lose the flashback entirely.  It drops for and it doubles as a draw mechanic.

Finally I would consider running 2 Liliana of the Veil here as she will also facilitate spot removal and discard.

I would get Liliana, but she costs around 25$. Cavern of Souls costs about 20. Can't buy them, but I did make a revision on the deck and added a sideboard.

Deck 4- Discard Rats 

Tribute to Hunger
Murder
Ultimate Price
Sever the Bloodline
Killing Glare
etc.

I would get Liliana, but she costs around 25$. Cavern of Souls costs about 20. Can't buy them, but I did make a revision on the deck and added a sideboard.

If you've got limited resources I'd recommend doing a few things before spending a single penny into a deck.

First, I would try playing different decks.  Ask the more seasoned players at your local metagame if they've got a deck you can borrow for FNM or just to casually play.  I've routinely let new players play with my RDW, B/R Zombies, or my Esper Spirit deck.  All three decks have different play styles and feature different kinds of cards.  This will let you know if you like playing control, aggro, mill, reanimator, tribal, burn, etc. There are all kinds of different decks and different win conditions. 

What I see with your op is a guy(or girl) who is interested in magic, and kudos to you, but is unsure of what mechanics he is interested in.  I see this all the time, and I know a new player deck when I see one.  Not all of the decks are terrible but most are and the reason they are terrible they often have different kinds of mechanics that just don't synergize well with one another.  For example trying to combine mill with burn or with aggro and it usually just doesn't work.

Once you've ascertained what kind of deck you like to play the next big thing is doing your research.  This website along with places like www.mtgsalvation.com and youtube have videos that elaborate extensively on a single card. There are vids on youtube, nearly 10 minutes long, explaining when to use Duress and when not to.  You could do this with a vast majority of cards particularly uncommons, rares, and mythic rares.  Understanding cards and pushing them to their best potential is what makes the difference between average magic players and good magic players.  I'd wager a good player with a mediocre deck could routinely beat a average player with a great deck. 

On that note just observe some games between seasoned players.  If it is a non-tournament game and there's a mechanic you don't understand or are curious about most could quickly explain to you why they did what they did.  Look what cards they are using, how they use them, and try to emulate that behavior in play.

Once you've got that all done then build 1 standard deck.  You've not the resources or the card stock to work on multiples.  That comes with time.   Even if the deck isn't that great stick with it and when you get some money to throw at it you'll have the know to get the right cards, how to use those cards, and the best way to win you a game with said cards.  I can't say it enough, putting your resources into one deck, versus multiple, will net you a deck that you are happy with much more quickly.

-NW "Behold blessed perfection!" --Sheoldred, Whispering One

If you've got limited resources I'd recommend doing a few things before spending a single penny into a deck.

First, I would try playing different decks.  Ask the more seasoned players at your local metagame if they've got a deck you can borrow for FNM or just to casually play.  I've routinely let new players play with my RDW, B/R Zombies, or my Esper Spirit deck.  All three decks have different play styles and feature different kinds of cards.  This will let you know if you like playing control, aggro, mill, reanimator, tribal, burn, etc. There are all kinds of different decks and different win conditions. 

What I see with your op is a guy(or girl) who is interested in magic, and kudos to you, but is unsure of what mechanics he is interested in.  I see this all the time, and I know a new player deck when I see one.  Not all of the decks are terrible but most are and the reason they are terrible they often have different kinds of mechanics that just don't synergize well with one another.  For example trying to combine mill with burn or with aggro and it usually just doesn't work.

Once you've ascertained what kind of deck you like to play the next big thing is doing your research.  This website along with places like www.mtgsalvation.com and youtube have videos that elaborate extensively on a single card. There are vids on youtube, nearly 10 minutes long, explaining when to use Duress and when not to.  You could do this with a vast majority of cards particularly uncommons, rares, and mythic rares.  Understanding cards and pushing them to their best potential is what makes the difference between average magic players and good magic players.  I'd wager a good player with a mediocre deck could routinely beat a average player with a great deck. 

On that note just observe some games between seasoned players.  If it is a non-tournament game and there's a mechanic you don't understand or are curious about most could quickly explain to you why they did what they did.  Look what cards they are using, how they use them, and try to emulate that behavior in play.

Once you've got that all done then build 1 standard deck.  You've not the resources or the card stock to work on multiples.  That comes with time.   Even if the deck isn't that great stick with it and when you get some money to throw at it you'll have the know to get the right cards, how to use those cards, and the best way to win you a game with said cards.  I can't say it enough, putting your resources into one deck, versus multiple, will net you a deck that you are happy with much more quickly.

I've made several decks, and played with several of my friends that I like. I personally prefer aggro decks. The reason I want the third deck is that I played a deck with a couple of werewolves, but the deck was anti flyer werewolves mostly, which did horribly against several of the decks there at the time. It's mostly for fun, kind of like one of those annoying turbo fogs. The fourth deck I want so that it's harder to burn me, as I lost at least 3 of the games I played to those, mostly due to the fact I couldn't get anything out, then a Stromkirk Noble hit me and beefed itself up. Less cards in opponents hand+creature removal = It's hard to make a deck like that work. 

I'm not incredibly new, infact I've made several decks that in theory work, put 3 of them into action, and they all work. The problem is that they aren't standard. I've gotten compliments on one of my aggro decks multiple times. I would even show you it if you want.

Also I like decks that piss people off, but aren't incredibly cheap, like milling(unless it's 2 headed giant with a partner that knows you, 2 mill decks focusing on one person isn't right). My limits are decks like goblins, I find them broken and incredibly cheap.
Anything about my werewolf deck?
Bump

Added a new deck.
On your exalted deck, I'd consider [C]Grim Roustabout[/C] in place of [C]Duty Bound Dead[/C] because it costs so much less to regenerate which I'm guessing is the primary reason to include.  Alternatively, you could pull in favor of [C]Ring of Xathrid[/C] which will allow you to keep some of your better cards in play and pump them to boot.    [C]Cathedral of War[/C] is only running a couple of dollars if you are running dedicated exalted.
Sign In to post comments