Aggro Vampire

4 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hey all, thanks for viewing my help thread!

So, I am new to Magic: The Gathering (I have been playing around a month, have played in 2 seals tournaments and 3 FNM's so still new), and have been trying to build my own deck, which is a lot harder than I thought it would be.  So, I would love any feedback on it, what should be changed, what is useless to have, ect.

What I have so far

My plans for the deck so far

So this is what I have planned so far:

Get rid of: 2 Crippling Blight, 1 Stab Wound, and 1 Murder.

Possibly get rid of 4 Vampire Interloper, 2 Blood Artist.

Cards to get: 1 Bloodline Keeper, 1 Stromkirk Noble, 1 Vampire Nocturnus, 1 Dreadbore, 3 Dragonskull Summit and 4 Blood Crypt.

I am not sure whether to replace the 3 Murder with 3 Dreadbore, even though it does cost 1 less, there is a greater chance that when Vampire Nocturnus is on the field the top card will not be a black card. Another great thing about Dreadbore is that it can destroy planeswalkers, which can come in very handy as I do not have much in the way of exiling. Is it worth the chance to use them instead? I am thinking it is.

Will Vampiric Fury be a good fit in the deck if I get a play set of them? Since I am trying to make a Aggro deck, it might be handy to stack with Vampire Nighthawk.

I am looking for some cheap mana creatures, since most of them cost around 3 each, with a fair amount costing 2.

Mana

So hopefully when it is done, I will have 4 Blood Crypt, 4 Dragonskull Summit and 2 Rakdos Guildgate as mainly my red mana. I am trying to get some Cavern of Souls, but they are very costly, and not many people have them for trades. Then I will use swamps for the rest of the black, unless there is a better way to do it. Input is welcome!

What I am not sure on yet

Some of the cards I have been looking at putting in my deck are:

Liliana of the Dark Realms, Falkenrath Aristocrat, and Necropolis Regent.  

I am thinking Liliana of the Dark Realms would be a good fit in the deck because she is mainly about mana gain, and a lot of my cards need a lot of mana, and her -6 would be amazing with this deck. If I were to put her in, how many would I put in? 2 or 4?

Would any of these cards been suitable for this deck?

Thank you for reading and helping me, it is always great to get feedback from the community! Any inputs are welcome!!

Hey there, welcome to Magic, and to Vampire tribal! 

An excellent choice, on both accounts.

Just a quick comment (will return with more in depth help after taking my own :R::B: vampire to today's tournament, hehe!) Dreadbore counts as a :B: card for the purpose of Vampire Nocturnus, so I'd go for that option if you have them.

I would keep your mana curve down to 4 max, and try not to have more than 2 Bloodline Keeper - can easily clog your hand - you need to be dropping a creature a turn ideally, so Stromkirk Captain, Falkenrath Exterminator, and Rakish Heir and so on and so forth.

Hey there, welcome to Magic, and to Vampire tribal! 

An excellent choice, on both accounts.

Just a quick comment (will return with more in depth help after taking my own :R::B: vampire to today's tournament, hehe!) Dreadbore counts as a :B: card for the purpose of Vampire Nocturnus, so I'd go for that option if you have them.

I would keep your mana curve down to 4 max, and try not to have more than 2 Bloodline Keeper - can easily clog your hand - you need to be dropping a creature a turn ideally, so Stromkirk Captain, Falkenrath Exterminator, and Rakish Heir and so on and so forth.

Hey,
Thanks for the comment, I would love it if you did go more in-depth with it. You have a good point with the Bloodline Keeper, 2 should be more than enough.
I was also thinking, until I get more Dragonskull Summit, Blood Crypt or Cavern of Souls should I replace one or 2 swamps with Evolving Wilds? Or do I already have a decent chance of getting red mana?
Lastly, should I be running 4 Blood Artist or just 2?

Thanks in advance

I can see a much bigger focus on :B: creatures in this vampire deck than my own, so I can see the merit of Vampire Nocturnus. I feel, that although Dark Imposter is a potent card in the end game, you should remove it, and a single Bloodline Keeper, to free up slots for more utility spells. 

2x Bloodline Keeper
4X Stromkirk Captain
4X Vampire Nighthawk
4X Stromkirk Noble/Shadow Alley Denizen

I'd go with 2 of each of the one drops, to divide mana requirement between the colours. You may want to add the Interlopers if you want to focus on the Nocturnus, and forgo having a :1: drop altogether to give yourself the best chance of triggering the Nocturnus boost - which can win the game on it's own. There's also the troublesome Falkenrath Exterminator to consider, as once that gets off, it can be a potent anti-creature card. 

[deck]1 x Dragonskull Summit
3 x Mountain
16 x Swamp
4 x Rakdos Guildgate[/deck]

With two colours, you can likely get away without having to invest in Blood Crypt. At least until you're certain :R::B: is a colour combination you want to play in the long term (in which case, they're a must have for your collection, as they'll go in virtually anything). For now, with :B::B: and :R:::R: common in your deck, you need to make certain you hit that requirement as quickly as possible. The ideal budget land configuration for this deck, in my opinion, would be:

7X Mountain
7X Swamp
4X Evolving Wilds
4X Dragonskull Summit

22 lands is not for everyone, and you'll get varying degrees of comments about more or less as you play. For me, with a deck that caps at converted mana cost four, I've seldom had trouble with it. Switching the Rakdos Guildgate out for Evolving Wilds does two things - thins the deck, meaning you get to the good cards quicker, and doesn't affect your tempo (both come into play tapped, after all). You have to play a bit more carefully as you lose double colours, so take this into account when sacrificing it - look at your hand, and the lands you have, and fetch the one that lets you play the card you need as soon as you need it. Ideally, once you get :R::R::B::B: turn 4, you can play any card in your deck without trouble. Once you play and tune the deck more, you can consider Cavern of Souls if you can A) afford it, and B) only if you have a heavy counterspell environment where you end up playing. 

[deck]1 x Dreadbore
4 x Mizzium Mortars
3 x Murder
1 x Stab Wound
2 x Crippling Blight
1 x Vampiric Fury[/deck]

To keep it nice and simple, I'd go for kill spell bonanza:

4X Mizzium Mortars
4X Murder

If you can get more Dreadbore, slowly switch out Murder for a playset. It's cheaper, and although it's a Sorcery, look to play it turn 3+ to take out things that your First Strike vampires can't rebuke. Don't waste it on smaller creatures unless they have an effect that's detrimental to you.

Deviant Glee is a solid card that could be used instead of the Stab Wound/Crippling Blight/Vampiric Fury type cards, and it's very cheap to pick up four. You could also consider Duress and Slaughter Games to remove threats before they hit the board (with Duress being an ideal turn one play). You may get advice from others about wherever or not those sorts of cards should be in the sideboard or maindeck, but I'm evil, so I always maindeck 3/4 Slaughter Games *mad cackle.

Hopefully that's some food for thought - main advice, decide if you want to play mono-black, or two colour vampire, and go with it. You have the makings of two entirely different tribal decks here, and a good tribe you've picked too!