r/w humans, another attempt

39 posts / 0 new
Last post
With gatecrush out, I figured I'd give this another shot.

Couldn't think of a good finisher though, was thinking firemane avenger.

4 caverns and 4 sacred foundaries 
Ditch the oblivion rings, they are taking away from your much needed creature density. I would replace at least two of them with Fiend Hunters. Also, yes, sacred foundries are a necessity.
4 caverns and 4 sacred foundaries 

This, pretty much, although I'd say three Cavern of Souls may be the way to go in a two-color deck. You need only one in play and you don't want to draw two and no other lands. Plus they are quite expensive, but test it and see if you need four.

Without these plus the Clifftop Retreats, you have no chance of a turn-one Champion of the Parish or Boros Elite and then a turn-two Ash Zealot. If you can't play your two-drop on turn two, it has no place in your aggro deck.

Spark Trooper is worth a thought for finisher. Boros Charm has obvious application here, although one would hope to get thing finished before six-mana are available.

Hellrider is the classic Red-Deck-Wins finisher and may still be the best choice.

Firemane Avenger is perhaps cooler but the lack of haste limits its utility.

None of these are human of course, but that's probably okay.

I want to try to stay away from the real expensive inistrad cards if it's possible since they will phase out in like 8 months. And I"d hate to spend 80 on caverns. But I will defantly get sacred foundries.
This look any better?

The reason I had o rings was because I seem to go up against alot of plainswalkers, but I can always sideboard them I guess.
if you're looking for a finisher, I'd go with Instigator Gang. He's not as good as Hellrider, but he stays on tribe, is easier to cast, and affects combat with his first ability.
I would have killed, literally ended someones life, to NOT have Arrogant Bloodlord riding a giant ant... Good times:
Show
but where DID the other fork come from?
Show
Lord_Zed: I was at my friends house when this happened. He's married and his wife was an excellent baker. She had baked a homemade apple pie the night before. I was hungry, and my friend convinced me to try those low carb monster drinks. Before this day, I had never triend energy drinks before. Boy was I in for a treat. When I tried that first monster, I really enjoyed the flavor, but the taste that it left in my mouth wasn't so good. What was my solution? Drink another! before I could finish drinking that 2nd monster, I felt it already kicking in(these drinks were not very far apart, we're talking minutes here) my friend decided that it was a good idea to whip out that fresh pie his wife made the night before. I didn't know what to do, since I felt incredibly invigorated, and at the same time, freaked out by the rush I was feeling, but I was also hungry, and my friend have me an entire plate with a fork and said "help yourself." He extended his saucer to me, and I cut him a piece of the pie and handed it to him, then I looked at the pie, noticed that the pie was in an aluminum holder, and dumped the entire pie onto my plate and started eating it with 2 forks. I don't know where I found that other fork, it probably came from my friend. Anyhow, his wife wasn't happy, and I was already in magical christmas land. 2 days later, I was in my friends bed and I slept for 14 hours. His wife outlawed my from having any of her baked goods for a while(which sucked because I could just show up at there house, steal some sweets, and leave) and said I couldn't have any energy drinks at her house, unless under close watch. My friend, on the other hand, had to take me out to a steak dinner, because apparently I won a bet where I climbed a tree and didn't die.
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
Zendikar had fetchlands, and Worldwake had manlands. What are the new Scars duals called?
61325265 wrote:
Explosive Peanut Lightning lands. Well, that's just what I call them.
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
i'm just trying to figure out what the point of saying this is. it's just really random.
And so the pot met the kettle.
That's a good idea.

I switched out ash zealot for Wojek Halberdiers and I'll put Ash Zealot in the sideboard once I make it.
I want to try to stay away from the real expensive inistrad cards if it's possible since they will phase out in like 8 months. And I"d hate to spend 80 on caverns. But I will defantly get sacred foundries.

I'd say 2 Cavern's tops.  After you get one on the field the others won't make a lick of difference.  Even if you don't run into them it's not hard to work around counter.  Don't get me wrong, they are nice cards, but plenty of tier one decks are made and played without them.
That's a good idea.

I switched out ash zealot for Wojek Halberdiers and I'll put Ash Zealot in the sideboard once I make it.

NO, NO, NO, Ash Zealot is INFINATELY better than Worjek Halberdiers.  A 2/2 first strike for is stupid good especially if you can get firebreathing on it.  The fact that she get's you damage if your opponent uses flashback is just a bonus. Ash Zealot's first strike is on all the time which means defensively she's better as well.

-NW "Behold blessed perfection!" --Sheoldred, Whispering One
I can easily put it back in, but does the updated deck look better?
What do you think of Assemble the Legion ? At first glance it looks cool and can provide you tons of tokens to block with. Is it too slow for this deck? You have tons of creatures to cast, maybe you'll have the mana to cast this too. I don't know
One glaring omission I see is no Silverblade Paladin, who is very vital to getting in lots of early damage. Also, Lightning Mauler is also very good at giving your 4-drops haste, and as far as 4-drops go, I'd probably go with 2x Spark Trooper, 2x either Odric or Firemane Avenger depending on your taste. I also would recommend trying out Righteous Charge, as it can help put your creatures over the top, or you can use Rally the Peasants for instant-speed boost with flashback. Whats your sideboard like?
Right now, Grafdiggers cage and naturalize are the main two. Didn't rework that yet, been working on the main deck.
You need 3-4 Silverblade Paladin. Its just too good to ignore. I like the Odric, but maybe just the Skynight for something better, like Sublime Archangel or Firemane Avenger. Also you could cut a few burn spells for Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
I'd drop down to 21 lands and play a lower curve altogether.  Anything beyond a 4 drop is going to be tough to get out.  Put one or two higher cards in your sideboard in case you end up facing some really long matches, but other than that just stay at 4.

Personally, I think [C]Lightning Mauler[/C] needs to be x3 or 4.  With the battalion  triggers at 3 now, he's just too good not to.  Not only does he combo with Silverblade Paladin for 8 damage on turn 3, but that could end up being 11 damage with a triggered Boros Elite.  It could also lead to a turn three 8-damage combo with [C]Champion of the Parish[/C] and [C]Frontline Medic[/C] with indestructible creatures.  The aggro and resilience of this deck could end up being extremely impressive. 

4x [C]Boros Elite[/C]
4x [C]Champion of the Parish[/C]
4x [C]Lightning Mauler[/C]
4x [C]Truefire Paladin[/C] or [C]Wojek Halberdier[/C]
4x [C]Silverblade Paladin[/C]
2x [C]Frontline Medic[/C]
2x [C]Fiend Hunter[/C]
2x [C]Firemane Avenger[/C]

Your potential to goldfish on turn 4 is really good, and [C]Boros Charm[/C] and [C]Searing Spear[/C] can help you finish.  The creature saving potential of [C]Boros Charm[/C] also makes the [C]Goldnight Commander[/C] + [C]Thatcher Revolt[/C] combo much easier to pull off and the tokens help trigger your battalion.   I may try that and I'm really excited for Friday. 
I'd drop down to 21 lands

I only have 20 in the deck.
4x Boros Elite
4x Champion of the Parish
4x Lightning Mauler
4x Truefire Paladin or Wojek Halberdier
4x Silverblade Paladin
2x Frontline Medic
2x Fiend Hunter
2x Firemane Avenger

So I should drop legion loyalist?

WIth your suggestions guys I'll rework the deck again.
My only concern is I don't really have a first turn red mana play, that's why I was thinking legion loyalist. It's not a human but does give trample and first strike and since tokens will be popular it'll help get by them also.
My only concern is I don't really have a first turn red mana play, that's why I was thinking legion loyalist. It's not a human but does give trample and first strike and since tokens will be popular it'll help get by them also.

You don't really have the mana-base to support a turn-one one-drop. Clifftop Retreat is no good first turn; that leaves you with only eight sources of for turn one. That less than even odds and that's just not good.

Would I hurt the deck if I made the plains and mountains 6/6 each? I ask because I wanted enough lands for silverblade paladin.
I didn't want to make a new thread on this deck so I'm going to put something in here. What would you guys think of this.

4 [C]Lightning Mauler[/C]
4 [C]Champion of the Parish[/C]
4 [C]Wojek Halberdiers[/C]
4 [C]Boros Elite[/C]
4 [C]Skyknight Legionnaire[/C]
2 [C]Spark Trooper[/C]
2 [C]Frontline Medic[/C]
2 [C]Firemane Avenger[/C]
2 [C]Silverblade Paladin[/C]

4 [C]Searing Spear[/C]
4 [C]Boros Charm[/C]
2 [C]Pillar of Flame[/C]
2 [C]Avenging Arrow[/C]

Then the 20 lands.

I really like Avenging Arrow for the purpose of getting rid of a big creature. Maybe that can be something I can sideboard in but again I really like that card.
nice one! Use the more efficient cards of this guild, added to the famous card of past block ( mauler and silverblade). 
Less Wojek and more Frontline, you really want an indestructible army.
Well the only reason I went with less Frontline Medic was because of the Boros Charm.

You don't really have the mana-base to support a turn-one one-drop. Clifftop Retreat is no good first turn; that leaves you with only eight sources of for turn one. That less than even odds and that's just not good.

I don't really see Legion Loyalist as a turn-one drop. I see it as a turn three drop. You could, for example, go turn one Champion of the Parish, turn two boros elite or something else, and then turn three Legion Loyalist and trigger battalion. The low cost could allow you to throw in a Lightning Mauler or a Boros Charm as well, assuming you hit all your land drops. Legion Loyaist would make your turn three attack pretty solid and I feel like most opponents wouldn't be anticipating that one-drop on the third turn, especially if you already have enough to trigger battalion.
I'm working on modifying my RDW to be R/wDW with something like this.  Not relying on the humans so much, which may get a bump from Cavern, but since I don't plan on investing in those...

Main Deck:

Sideboard:
[deck]
3 Glaring Spotlight
3 Blind Obedience
3 Mizzium Mortars
3 Skullcrack
3 Oblivion Ring
[/deck]

Spotlight for the Hexproof problem, Body Odor for the red/Boros opponents, MM for smiting of the Smiters, Skullcrack for Lifegain annoyances, and O-ring for problem permanents like enchantments, plainswalkers, and indestructibles.
I'm working on modifying my RDW to be R/wDW with something like this.

Your deck is very similar to mine; I have Stromkirk Noble instead of Devils, Rakdos Shred-Freak instead of Maulers, and Skyknight Leginnaire instead of Reckoners.

One thing both could use is Aurelia's Fury for getting the last attack through. I've got some on the way.

I'm not a huge fan of Lightning Mauler but thought it important here to possibly give Boros Reckoner haste.  Nobles work out ok for me, but dont exceed an unleashed Cackler's cumulative damage until after turn 4 assuming everything goes ok until then.  

I actually have
 Legionnaire in there now, but plan on putting the Reckoner in.  i feel it has a bit more flexibility with its first strike ability if you don't want to trade (like with Tusk, for instance), or its bite back ability if you don't mind the trade.  But that 3/2 hasty flying crotch shot has merits.  Tough call.

if I go back to the hasty flier, I'll also remove the Mauler and get Freak-y.
The gameshop I go to every FNM has a great store owner that likes to brew. We came up with this list last week:

Creatures

4x Boros Elite
4x Champion of the Parish
4x Firefist Striker
3x Legion Loyalist
3x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
4x Frontline Medic
4x Hellrider
3x Boros Reckoner

Spells

2x Aurelia's Fury
2x Immortal Servitude
4x Boros Charm

Lands

4x Sacred Foundry
11x Plains
8 Mountains

Obviously pretty rough, but you get the idea.

How does this updated deck look?

Lightning Mauler and Odric are a combo I've thought about as well. It looks good on paper.

I'd be sorely tempted to play Gather the Townsfolk both for pumping the Champ and getting to Battalion-level quickly, but without a way to buff them, it may not be worthwhile.

if you want to deal a lot of damage T-4 or T-5 consider Silverblade Paladin paired with Sublime Archangel, Spark Trooper or Thundermaw Hellkite

Increasing Devotion is also an amazing card to pump Champion of the Parish or Sublime with. 
Splash Blue to make it RWU and add Lyev Skyknight and geist
Blue is a bad splash in this deck.  Other than Geist, it's too slow, and you don't have any tech (other than Boros Charm) to keep Geist alive. 

I'm running [C]Goldnight Commander[/C] as my 4 drop with [C]Gather the Townsfolk[/C] and [C]Thatcher Revolt[/C].  It's a great way to overwhelm a board stall.  Playing both sorceries with the Commander on the board turn gives you three 6/6 creatures with haste and that's usually lethal.  These sorceries also combo with Champion of the Parish and help give you a batallion too, so they're great. 
Blue is a bad splash in this deck.  Other than Geist, it's too slow, and you don't have any tech (other than Boros Charm) to keep Geist alive. 

I'm running [C]Goldnight Commander[/C] as my 4 drop with [C]Gather the Townsfolk[/C] and [C]Thatcher Revolt[/C].  It's a great way to overwhelm a board stall.  Playing both sorceries with the Commander on the board turn gives you three 6/6 creatures with haste and that's usually lethal.  These sorceries also combo with Champion of the Parish and help give you a batallion too, so they're great. 

I like the idea of Townsfolk and Thatchers.

Isn't goldknight kinda slow?
if you want to deal a lot of damage T-4 or T-5 consider Silverblade Paladin paired with Sublime Archangel, Spark Trooper or Thundermaw Hellkite.

My Blind Obedience loves your Spark Trooper. Send him my way.

Seriously, I think Blind Obedience will see a fair amount of play and relying too much on haste may be a mistake.

Did a few more modifications.

Not sure if the overseer will work, but I can't figure out a finisher for the last two slots. I only have 2 medic because I only own 2 right now.