3.5 using iterative bab to attack with two weapons

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
If I have two weapons can I use my iterative attacks to attack with both weapons without taking penalties?

For example:

BAB +11 would give me 3 attacks with knife a and b
Attack 1: +11 with main hand using knife a
Attack 2: +6 with off hand usking knife b
Attack 3: +1 with main hand using knife a

So I am not taking an extra attack with my off hand so can I do the above without the TWF penalties?

And can you please quote the rules on it as well please? Thank you in advance for the assistance
Remember that the forums are here for us to learn new things but that does not mean that you shouldn't do your own basic research first. You are Red/Blue! You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable. *He who fights with honour, knowledge and friendship shall always be victorious over the horde*
Yes you can do this without penelty. You only take the two-weapons fighting penelties when making the extra attack, not for using your normal attacks
Normally you do not get iterative attacks with your off-hand weapon. You have to take improved TWF and greater TWF to get second and third attacks with your off hand weapon, respectively.
I should clarify: you don't get an extra iterative attack with your off hand without the feat.

Doing it that way begs the question: why not just wield a two handed weapon and do more damage. It's not like you get any benefits of twf that way.
Yes you can do this without penelty. You only take the two-weapons fighting penelties when making the extra attack, not for using your normal attacks

I should clarify: you don't get an extra iterative attack with your off hand without the feat. Doing it that way begs the question: why not just wield a two handed weapon and do more damage. It's not like you get any benefits of twf that way.

Mr. Customer: Can you give me a place it quotes that?

Asteron: For using different damage type, different bonuses. And it just kind of came up randomly.
Remember that the forums are here for us to learn new things but that does not mean that you shouldn't do your own basic research first. You are Red/Blue! You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable. *He who fights with honour, knowledge and friendship shall always be victorious over the horde*
Your itterative attacks represent attacks you can make and if those are all you use it doesn't matter where they are from.  For example with your +11 BAB you could:

Attack with your mace @ +11 as your primary.
Throw a dagger from your "off-hand" @ +6.
Attempt to trip someone with your remaining attack @ +1

Asteron, you can make an extra attack without the feat, it simply reduces the penelties. 

The Two Weapon Fighting penelties are assuming that you are making an extra attack with the off hand weapon. What he needs to do is find rules that say you have to take the penelty

It stands to reason that you will still get an off hand penelty for the off hand weapon. If you check the chart on page 160 of the PHB you will see that the standard penelty for the off-hand weapon, compared to the primary hand is -4, but if you take the Two Weapon Fighting Feat you remove the offhand penelty entirely

So Your attacks are normally +11, +6, +1

With the offhand it is +11, +2, +1

With TWF it is back to +11, +6, +1     

For where the rules for this are, they are extrapolated from looking at the chart on page 160. Primary hand -6, off hand -10, (difference -4) primary -4, off hand -8 (difference -4) and TWF gets rid of of hand penelty entirely.

So it is reasonable to do the normal attacks and not take any Penelty expect for the offhand (or none at all with TWF) so long as you don't make the extra attack.

The benifits of doing this is likely holding a ranged weapon in the off hand. Say a character using a Rapier who has a knife in the off-hand. He can make a ranged attack with the off-hand knife while attacking with the primary hand.
Your itterative attacks represent attacks you can make and if those are all you use it doesn't matter where they are from.  For example with your +11 BAB you could:

Can you give me a quotation of where this rules would be? Got someone in my group who says it would automatically be TWF penalties....
My first reply was made quickly before I really read what he was doing. I understood once I reread his post, hence the second reply.

It just seems like an inefficient way of doing things, really.
Asteron, it isn't inefficient if your character wouldn't normally use a two-handed weapon. The use of an off-hand weapon can be for making special attacks. For example a Rogue using a rapier, keeping a dagger in the offhand gives him a range attack if he needs it. Lets say i have three attacks, on the second attack I kill my opponent, there is another enemy 20 feet away, so I throw the dagger at him.
And likely miss...

I'm not saying it doesn't have some use, I'm just saying you could make much better use of your feats and actions.

And honestly, you don't really have to reply to me. There is a reason that I just lurk and don't post often: I don't usually have anything pertinent to say. I jumped in with an answer before reading the question and I am perfectly willing to let the matter drop.
Again can someone please show me where the rules say that is possible because my gaming friend is unconvinced.....
There is no rules actually outlined, it is one of those "common Sense" things they don't need to mention.

I would point out to your friend that although it is called Two Weapon fighting, that it is infact talking about an additional attack being made with the second weapon. This results in 2 things, a penelty to all attacks for making the extra attack (see such feats as many shot for comparison) and using an off-hand.

As you are not making an Extra Attack, the rule doens't apply.  The entry speaks very specifically about makign an extra attak.

You may wish to look in the Dmg for examples. But you will see that many creatures have mutiple attack types and don't suffer form attack penelties for using them.  
This is from p. 42 of the FAQ's:

Can a character with Quick Draw and a base attack
bonus of +6 or better make a melee attack with one weapon
and a ranged attack with another weapon in the same
round? What if the melee weapon requires two hands to
wield?
Yes. There’s nothing inherent in the full attack action that
requires all the attacks to be made as the same kind of attack or
with the same kind of weapon.
A character with a base attack bonus of +6 or better holding
a longsword, for example, could make a melee attack with the
longsword (using his full base attack bonus), drop the
longsword (a free action), use Quick Draw to draw a dagger
(another free action), then throw the dagger (using his base
attack bonus –5). If the character had both hands free (for
instance, if he didn’t carry a light or heavy shield in his off
hand), he could even use Quick Draw to draw a bow (free
action), draw and nock an arrow (free action) and then shoot
the bow (using his base attack bonus –5).
This situation is actually improved if the melee weapon is a
two-handed weapon. A character can hold a two-handed
weapon in one hand; he just can’t attack with it while it’s held
like that. Thus, he wouldn’t even have to drop the weapon in
order to draw and throw the dagger. If Krusk the 6th-level
barbarian had Quick Draw, he could swing his greataxe (using
his full base attack bonus), then leave the axe in his off-hand
while drawing a javelin with his primary hand (free action), and
finally throw the javelin (using his base attack bonus –5). If
Krusk were drawing a ranged weapon that required two hands
to use (such as a bow), he’d have to drop his greataxe.

You invoke TWF penalties if you're taking a full attack with your main weapon (11/6/1 in this case) *and* trying to make an attack with your off-hand weapon as well.  Merely alternating one after the other on a regular 11-6-1 does not.

Can you give me a quotation of where this rules would be? Got someone in my group who says it would automatically be TWF penalties....

Pag 22 of player handbook and Pag 160 of Player handbook

As normal your attacks are based in your BA but you can only use one weapon but you can put a weapon in your others hands and use it to attack with your full attack bonus but fight with two weapons have penalties as described in the Pag 160 and this attack dont gain itterative attacks

as example a creature with BA +16 can make her attacks as:

Good Hand BA:+16/+11/+6/+1 plus bonus and penalties
Off Hand BA:+16/ plus bonus and penalties

with the feats of two weapon fighting you can gain extra attacks with your off hand and less the penalty, the first feat less the penalty, the second let you other attack with your off hand with -5 and the next other attack with -10 then using the same example but with a character with all the feats of two weapon we have

Good Hand BA:+16/+11/+6/+1 plus bonus and penalties
Off Hand BA:+16/+11/+6 plus bonus and penalties
Pepe pecas pica papas con un pico con un pico pepe pecas pica papas si pepe pecas pica papas con un pico donde esta el pico con que pepe pecas pica papas.