Gladiators vs. a SK 2e

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
So in my gaming XP, a group of skilled gladiators will tear through a SKs Templar army when engaged in melee combat.  Now, even the small populations of city-states in Dark Sun (compared to other models), a gladiator-rebellion would severely effect and threaten a city-state.  It will only take a few battles with gladiators for a SK's army to be depleted. They just can't replace the men that will be killed. So, in the event of such a rebellion, a SK must resort to magic to defeat it, least he loses his kingdom.  Now, my primary question is, can a 20th level gladiator or group of them defeat a SK?  Now, granted that in the event of rebels breaching the city, a SK will simply wall themselves up in their tower and wait for the rebels to die of old-age, but, they will find a way in and then what? 

One thing of note, in the original Dark Sun Box, everyone is pretty much a slave to a SK, from the nobles to the templars to the gladiators. 
Famous Athasian last words: "Hey, you're wrong. I know elves, I've played AD&D for eight years. They're noble, sylvan creatures who will honor their word." In the desert, everything's further than it looks.
In 4E, there's an easy way to answer the question. Look at the level and XP value of the sorcerer-kings given in the Dark Sun Creature Catalog and compare it to the encounter difficulties of the gladiators in question. Make sure to include the copious attendants a SK will always have nearby.

Generally speaking, players should not be able to kill a SK without enormous power, great preparations, and some luck. Hamanu does not sit in a 30x40  empty room waiting for players to phalanx in. 20th-level characters are very powerful and famous and SKs will be aware of them if they pose a threat. Because of the layers of insulation surrounding a SK--dozens of encounters with guards, traps, magical barriers, etc.--a PC group will not come upon one unaware, and the PCs will not be unbloodied when they arrive there (unless you make such an assassination plan the focus of an extended adventure allowing them to avoid such protections). In all likelihood, after their first fight or two, if they pose a real threat, they'll soon find they get attacked on disadvantageous footing, perhaps while healing, by dozens or hundreds of the SK's minions and summoned monsters, etc. as well as the SK himself.

In short, no, it should not be possible without a story geared around it, but yes, it is possible once that's occurred. 
In 4E, there's an easy way to answer the question. Look at the level and XP value of the sorcerer-kings given in the Dark Sun Creature Catalog and compare it to the encounter difficulties of the gladiators in question. Make sure to include the copious attendants a SK will always have nearby.

Generally speaking, players should not be able to kill a SK without enormous power, great preparations, and some luck. Hamanu does not sit in a 30x40  empty room waiting for players to phalanx in. 20th-level characters are very powerful and famous and SKs will be aware of them if they pose a threat. Because of the layers of insulation surrounding a SK--dozens of encounters with guards, traps, magical barriers, etc.--a PC group will not come upon one unaware, and the PCs will not be unbloodied when they arrive there (unless you make such an assassination plan the focus of an extended adventure allowing them to avoid such protections). In all likelihood, after their first fight or two, if they pose a real threat, they'll soon find they get attacked on disadvantageous footing, perhaps while healing, by dozens or hundreds of the SK's minions and summoned monsters, etc. as well as the SK himself.

In short, no, it should not be possible without a story geared around it, but yes, it is possible once that's occurred. 

Agreed; I'm thinking of other problems caused by a serious loss of a city-state's templars and soldiers.  There is also the problems caused by the rebels attacking the food-supplies and farms.  When a population is hungry, it's hard to maintain insulation. 

Famous Athasian last words: "Hey, you're wrong. I know elves, I've played AD&D for eight years. They're noble, sylvan creatures who will honor their word." In the desert, everything's further than it looks.