Gatecrash pre-release awesome and funny moments

52 posts / 0 new
Last post
For those that went to the Gatecrash Pre-release, what were some of your awesome or funny moments?

I played 2-headed giant with Boros and my partner played Orzhov.  I played a Spark Trooper and put Aerial Maneuver, then I put Boros Charm on it.  The other team didn't have any flying, so it was a 14 damage lifelink.  Their facial experessions were priceless.

Also, just to throw off the enemy team, my partner took 3 mountains so that the other teams would assume he was playing 3-colored, then after the game when they asked where his red cards were, he showed them he just put them in the deck to trick them.

Also not really funny, but rather odd, was out of the 20+ people playing, only ONE PERSON chose Dimir.  

Did anyone else have any awesome moments or funny things like this happen at their pre-release?   

Sorry if this is the wrong forum.
You are in the right forum, so there's that at least.

As for my story: I lost to Hellkite Tyrant, but what made it hilarious was that it wasn't the fact that it was a 6/5 flying trampler that killed me, it was the fact it took my keyrune and Gargoyle after hitting me that did me in.
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
I have two, both happened in the same match. First one was using Stolen Identity, ciphering it onto my Deathcult Rogue. That set up some blockers. Next turn I gout out my Consuming Abberation..... I think I ended up having four or so Abberations before he decked out.

The next game I put Stolen Identity on Nightveil Specter and just kept making copies of it. Ending up using more cards from my opponent's deck than mine that game.
Living in a country where Magic literally does not exist, I'm extremely jealous of you guys that get to go to prereleases At least I can read threads like these as consolation.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
my opponent's on 17 life, I'm at 10 controlling Firemane Avenger and Ordruun Veteran (my deck was RWG, but i never drew a forest the entire game.) he has 4 creatures including two tapped guys, a Sage's Row Denizen and an 8/8 Consuming Aberration, and is tapped out. I cast Martial Glory on my Veteran and then Act of Treason on Aberration, making it a 1/1 (i could have cast the spells in the other order but I forgot to.) I attack with all three creatures, with Avenger killing the blocker, pumping up Aberration to a 2/2 and dealing exactly 17
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
I ran Gruul, straight red/green. I had a decent pool of cards. Some low end stuff to buy time in the early game while I built up for some of the big guns I had waiting in the wings. (Time was my biggest enemy in most rounds. I drew almost every round. But I digress.)

The best stung I pulled was equipping both of my Illusionist's Bracers to my Borborygmos Enraged before ditching two lands to end the game with (combined) 18 damage. So that was pretty sweet. 

And on an unrelated note, I just have to say, Disciple of the Old Ways + Madcap Skills = Lethal dose of awesome. 
I choose simic and got randomly got grull which works well with evolve. red green means big

I played against demir.
  lost one to an oversized graveyard beast
  Won one with a gate thief enchantment
  and got timed out on the 3rd game

lost 2 to the same 7/7 flyer
was gonna block with my gargoyle flyer and channel my boar for +5/+4. But the artifact was exiled

Copied my opponent's gate with my Thespian's Stage so my Way of the Thief could get through

NO WAR

DOD replaces human label with terrorist Blood-Chin Fanatic

[mc]1rubwg[/mc]=

LXD (animation battle) - The Good,The Bad & The RA

There was a fire. Big one.
Level 2 Magic Judge Lite a man a fire, warm him for a day. Light a man on fire, warm him for the rest of his life.

Went Orzhov and in my first match get paired against a really agressive Boros deck, gets me down to 15ish on turn 3. Turn 4 I play Alms Beast, turn 5 Gift of Orzhova and he had no answer for it.
wumpus

a 6/6 for cheap with drawbacks. sort of 
NO WAR

DOD replaces human label with terrorist Blood-Chin Fanatic

[mc]1rubwg[/mc]=

LXD (animation battle) - The Good,The Bad & The RA

Went Orzhov. Second game in the second match, playing first, against Gruul. Played a turn 2 Wight of Precinct Six, which already made my opponent look funny. Proceeded to kill his then only creature with Devour Flesh and attacked for 2. He said something along the lines of "At least it doesn't fly." Which was promply followed by Gift of Orzhova. The rest of the game was rather short and one sided. Afterwards, he remarked, that he had only one removal in his deck capable of taking the Wight down after it got to be 4/4 due to a second creature hitting his yard courtesy of Purge the Profane emtying his hand.

I just started up a Draft experiment in the Limited forums. If you're interested in Draft, come and check it out.

http://community.wizards.com/forum/limited-sealed-and-draft/threads/4206961

Once again aced the Rules Advisor test (Feb 2015). (I still make mistakes now and then, but who doesn't.)

"Simple questions" usually need rather complex answers, while complex questions often come down to no more than a simple "yes" or "no".

My opponent is at 21 I swing with a lone Spire Tracer. I have 7 mana on the board...he doesn't block with his small flier. I use my promo RubbleHulk for bloodrush +7+7 (8/8) then discard Slaughterhorn for bloodrush +3+2 (11/10) then cast Boros Charm and give the little lady double strike...swing for 22!

There was almost a flipped table at that moment.
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
A few things, I managed to go 3-1-1 with nothing but bad creatures and bad removal, orzhov.

That same bad removal managed to make me win an orzhov vs orzhov game. 40 cards vs 40 cards deck, I started playing, we are at a stalemate, he got board superiority, slightly, since he got way better cards, but I have 40 lives and he got 7 left, so he got to be careful, we both have 6 cards left in our library and it's my turn. He used his second Luminate primordial of the game... which I replied with a grisly spectacle milling him 4 cards and smiling as he only got 2 cards left in his library and I'm still at 40 lives.

Gift of Orzhova and Wight of precinct six won me SEVERAL games and the wight made me lose 1 game when it was the only thing left on the battlefield and my opponent used act of treason on it to swing me for EXACTLY lethal damage, while my next swing would also have been for EXACTLY lethal damage
I love trolls Dont hate me because I'm blunt and you cannot handle it
For those that went to the Gatecrash Pre-release, what were some of your awesome or funny moments?

I played 2-headed giant with Boros and my partner played Orzhov.  I played a Spark Trooper and put Aerial Maneuver, then I put Boros Charm on it.  The other team didn't have any flying, so it was a 14 damage lifelink.  Their facial experessions were priceless.

Also, just to throw off the enemy team, my partner took 3 mountains so that the other teams would assume he was playing 3-colored, then after the game when they asked where his red cards were, he showed them he just put them in the deck to trick them.

Also not really funny, but rather odd, was out of the 20+ people playing, only ONE PERSON chose Dimir.  

Did anyone else have any awesome moments or funny things like this happen at their pre-release?   

Sorry if this is the wrong forum.

4 people out of the eight at my table pulled aurelia, the warleader I got whatever the shockland is andstomping ground. not amazing pulls considering I was playing Boros, but my friend who had never played before pulled a foil Obzedat, Ghost Council and a Lazav, Dimir Mastermind
Bloodrush was great. My first pre-release, Skaarg Goliath provided giant swings to the game: my opponent regretted cloning my 6/2 monster, because the trample damage did him in!

3rd round vs. Orzhov. Drained me down to 6 life, had the "block everyone angel" with that drain life aura on it: if I attack with 1 creature and the angel dies blocking it, I lose 4 life. He was at 12, so I sent a 5/5 flyer against him, which he let by. Cue Bloodrush for 5/4 and for 2/1! Grull can TOO do math! :P  

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

Bloodrush was great. My first pre-release, Skaarg Goliath provided giant swings to the game: my opponent regretted cloning my 6/2 monster, because the trample damage did him in!

3rd round vs. Orzhov. Drained me down to 6 life, had the "block everyone angel" with that drain life aura on it: if I attack with 1 creature and the angel dies blocking it, I lose 4 life. He was at 12, so I sent a 5/5 flyer against him, which he let by. Cue Bloodrush for 5/4 and for 2/1! Grull can TOO do math! :P  

Rawr + Grrr + Smack = death
I love trolls Dont hate me because I'm blunt and you cannot handle it
Probably not the kind of thing most of you care about, but during pack opening and deck construction I was sitting next to a group of regulars, several boys probably around 12-13 years old.  Very nice kids and good players.  One of them could NOT understand why Assemble the Legion would have "mustard counters" on it.  I didn't laugh at him but was able to explain what "muster" means.  I was also able to enrich the guys' vocabulary with the correct meanings of "basilica" and a few other uncommon words.
One guy got a Boros pack but lost his first two rounds. So he rebuilt completely. Ended up going 4-2 and even scoring a victory off Biovisionary despite only opening one (hooray Stolen Identity!)

Also Alms Beast was better than I expected (also fun to put a Gift of Orzhova on).

L1 Judge

4 people out of the eight at my table pulled aurelia, the warleader I got whatever the shockland is andstomping ground. not amazing pulls considering I was playing Boros, but my friend who had never played before pulled a foil Obzedat, Ghost Council and a Lazav, Dimir Mastermind

Its weird, but I keep seeing and hearing these stories of people who pulled Mythics, yet nobody out of the 20 people at my pre-release pulled a mythic in their colors.

Also, is Borborygmos Enraged just useless or something? I had a guy who came up to me after the tournament and offered me 2 of them, plus an Enter the Infinite for my Stomping Grounds that I pulled.
I went in as Orzhov during one tourney today. Opened guild pack, nothing good. Open first pack, One Thousand Lashes and Ghost Council. Next pack was Deathpact Angel.... Next one had the Orzhov gate and the keyrune.... I ended up winning.... Best pulls of the weekend.
Only one interesting play during the prerelease, when I used a Predator's Rapport to gain 15 life in my Simic deck, thanks to Evolve and Clinging Anemones.

After the prerelease, I played a few games with a friend of mine, and I'll just say that Diluvian Primordial + 3x Totally Lost = Insanity.  

Not only was it Evolving half my army every time, I got to cast my opponent's Eyes in the Skies, then stall while waiting for removal (I've played her before and knew a Trostani's Judgment was coming as soon as she got to 6 mana).  Used Totally Lost to save my guy, then played it again, casting TJ and exiling her big scary wurm thing.  Game ended very shortly after that.

Also of note:

The Gruul  welcome letter cracked me up pretty good.  Well played WOTC.  Well played.

Casual Magic player since 2003 (Onslaught Block). 60% Johnny, 40% Timmy. Want a free, graphics-based, collection database to inventory your cards? I made one! Feedback welcome. Program runs offline, includes powerful search options, art, Oracle text, data import/export, and a rigorously updated list of every card ever printed. Version 5.13 (Theros) now available!

So. Green needs an iconic creature type, eh? How about wurms!

One Billion Words - 1001 Fantasy Landscapes: Share DnD-ish landscapes for use in homebrew campaigns!

I went Orzhov with a small red splash and pulled 4 mythics in my sealed pool. Aurelia's Fury, which won me a few games, Borborygmos Enraged who I wasn't able to play, and TWO Enter the Infinite.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c1b8574f03c7cff35d72311f1208599a.jpg?v=90000)
Also, is Borborygmos Enraged just useless or something? I had a guy who came up to me after the tournament and offered me 2 of them, plus an Enter the Infinite for my Stomping Grounds that I pulled.

By the numbers I use:
Borborygmos Enraged: $3-$4
Enter the Infinite: $1.5-$2.5
Stomping Ground: $11-$13

So yeah, Bobo is relatively valueless. 
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
At my prerelease we had 3 people named Matt. 2 of them went Simic with me, 1 went Orzhov. We had 3 people on Dimir, 3 on Simic, 1 on Orzhov, and 1 on Gruul.
http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20802.jpg

Went Orzhov and in my first match get paired against a really agressive Boros deck, gets me down to 15ish on turn 3. Turn 4 I play Alms Beast, turn 5 Gift of Orzhova and he had no answer for it.

I mean literally a house was on fire across the street.
Level 2 Magic Judge Lite a man a fire, warm him for a day. Light a man on fire, warm him for the rest of his life.
Not really any funny moments at mine, but it was definitely awesome!! I loved it so much. I chose Simic. What made it REALLY awesome was that it was my very first tournament, first booster draft, and first pre-release, and I ended up making it into the top 18 of 44 with a 3-3 record. :D I really like the evolve mechanic of Simic, so I'm definitely going to fill out my pre-release deck so it's a standard 60-card deck and see what I can really do with it. Also, everyone knew I was the newbie, so they were really nice and helpful and even gave me a bunch of cards.

IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/8102856493/Scorecards/Landscape.png)

I entered the prerelease as orzhov... and pulled 2 Obzedat, Ghost Council, then 2 stomping grounds. It was a good day for pulls. Ended up 3-1, with my obzedat(s) winning me 4/5 games off of him alone, and holy mantle guaranteeing the other 2/3.

I was against simic game two in the first match, I had obzedat exiled to his own ability, and opponent was at 9 life and left me at 6 (swarming and drew around 3 cards from his fathom mage). I drew holy mantle, obzedat came in, I equipped and swung for game. This exact scenario happened again at least 2 other times, against a boros with assemble the legion out and smite in hand, and against gruul as well. Holy mantle was MVP worthy.

I also got one of the funniest kills, leaving the opponent at 2 life, then dropping my second obzedat to kill him . Also swung for 16 with the obzedat and vizkopa guildmage, using both abilities once for 4 damage (2 drain and 2 from viz ability), swung for 7 (killed his only creature), then made him lose 5 due to viz ability.
Funny...Well it was funny to us at the time when we had 4 or so minutes left on the clock, both of us at 20 (or more life), and just kept pinging each other with extort for severals minutes, knowing we would end in a draw unless something drastic happened.

Awesome? Well my last match had me mull down to four cards on the play. I considered scooping but decided to play it out, drawing nothing but big spells and land for 4 turns and being smacked by evolved creatures until I was at 2 life. Finally on turn 6, 2 life, i dropped a Merciless Eviction and wiped his board and basically putting him on topdeck duty for numerous turns. Several turns later I dropped ANOTHER Merciless Eviction. In the end these two plays basically made me go from 2 life with opponent at 20, to bumping myself back up to 12 and knocking my opponent down to 5. I did eventually lose due to many shenanigans with Agoraphobia and Simic Manipulator but hey, I made him work for it and made one heck of a come back. Definetly the game of the night for me.

Also not me personally, but I overheard someone in the shop apparently winning with Biovisionary. I've no clue how he achieved this outside of possibly ciphering Stolen Identity onto an unblockable or something. I didn't see it or ask.
This was my first prerelease/public magic event so I was just sort of taking things in. Noticed some crazy stuff, not sure if it was entirely game-legal...

Guy I played against had several Orzhov guild boxes, said he'd attended the previous two prereleases earlier in the day. His Orzhov deck was insanely nasty! He had answers for everything I tried to play. Had a field of extoring flyers, even the Orzhov guild leader in just a few turns. Compeletely stomped my Boros guild. I could be totally wrong, but I smell something sneaky about his "constructed" deck...

Not trying to whine because I lost, he really did just have a better deck, and played better. However, he did play an executioner's swing on a creature I just summoned, and being a new card, I failed to notice the "creature that dealt damage" portion of the card, he played it so fast. My fault for not noticing, I guess.

A friend of mine played against somebody in the prerelease-tournament carrying multiple decks, switching decks each game. Um...

I find signatures incredibly distracting. If you read this, then you too have found them distracting. 

A friend of mine played against somebody in the prerelease-tournament carrying multiple decks, switching decks each game. Um...

Well that's legal, as long as all those decks were constructed from his sealed pool. He can then simply sideboard into another of his decks. But it is very doubtful, that more than 2 different viable decks can be constructed with so few cards. During the RTR prerelease, one of my opponents also had two decks. He had chosen Izzet, but the boosters he got made Golgari a strong option, too. Both decks weren't that strong though, I beat them both.

I just started up a Draft experiment in the Limited forums. If you're interested in Draft, come and check it out.

http://community.wizards.com/forum/limited-sealed-and-draft/threads/4206961

Once again aced the Rules Advisor test (Feb 2015). (I still make mistakes now and then, but who doesn't.)

"Simple questions" usually need rather complex answers, while complex questions often come down to no more than a simple "yes" or "no".

Well that's legal, as long as all those decks were constructed from his sealed pool. He can then simply sideboard into another of his decks. But it is very doubtful, that more than 2 different viable decks can be constructed with so few cards. During the RTR prerelease, one of my opponents also had two decks. He had chosen Izzet, but the boosters he got made Golgari a strong option, too. Both decks weren't that strong though, I beat them both.

I do this for fun sometimes. I'm convinced it's essentially never the best way to win... but it is fun
Rules Adviser, casual tournament organizer, lover of EDH and MtG evangelist.

That's what I figured, I just wasn't sure if it was legal to have 2+decks. Thought you had to have just your "guild deck." My friend did mention the guy's other deck was a jumble of 4 colors, so it'd make sense that it was his lefteovers from the booster packs.

I find signatures incredibly distracting. If you read this, then you too have found them distracting. 

Guy I played against had several Orzhov guild boxes, said he'd attended the previous two prereleases earlier in the day. His Orzhov deck was insanely nasty! He had answers for everything I tried to play. Had a field of extoring flyers, even the Orzhov guild leader in just a few turns. Compeletely stomped my Boros guild. I could be totally wrong, but I smell something sneaky about his "constructed" deck...

This sounds kind of suspicious. Now obviously he could have pulled the guild leader from one of his packs, but to be able to pull multiple extort fliers, especially if he was playing singles and not doubles (meaning he would have had to pull multiple extort fliers from just his 5 booster and his pre-made).  While I guess it could happen, it doesn't sound extremely likely unless the extorting fliers were put on the field with as copies of the original.

The whole point of sealed is that nobody gets to buff their deck to insane strengths before the tournament, so everyone has about the same chance of having a good draw or bad draw to work with.
As I mentioned earlier, it was my first real public magic event, so I was not sure entirely what to watch out for, etc. There were probably 80-100 people in the store, with 1 actual judge, and 2 or so new judges-in-training, and nobody was really paying attention to anyone building decks. It would've been insanely easy to just show up with a prebuilt deck(from a previous PR a few hours earlier), pull it out of your pocket, and call it new. Having multiple guild boxes of the same guild just made it look worse.

Not saying that's what happened, but could be pretty easily done. I'm really not trying to come off as whiny, because winning and losing mean very little to me(hardcore casual), but his deck just came off unbelieveably fast and effective, for having been supposedly built straight from a small handful of boosters. I dunno. *adjusts tinfoil hat*.

Just a few stories from a smaller pre-release... our store usually has 40+ people and rents out a large room at a nearby theater since they're a small comic shop, but this time the theater wasn't available, so they had to split the pre-release into two events limited to 16 people each.

I went with my son; he went Dimir while I was Simic. I like to make "prophecies" about what I'm going to open in my packs, and this time I predicted that I would get a [C]Domri Rade[/C] and splash red for a Simic-Gruul deck. This did not happen, but my son DID open a Domri. He also pulled his guild leader, Lazav, but strangely enough didn't get enough cards to build a good Dimir deck. I helped him with his build and he ended up with a WRG mostly-Gruul deck and won two of his 5 matches.

In the first round, I was sitting next to an older player running Boros who was up against a 12 or 13-year old boy with a really good Gruul deck. This kid had knocked him down to 2 life when he manages to land TWO [C]Assemble the Legion[/C], and a short time later he was swinging for the win with 15 soldiers...

Another friend of mine at the event was Orzhov, and pulled two Ghost Councils from his pool. And lucky me, I got paired with him round 2 after winning my Simic mirror match 2-0. He rolled right over me both games, and "I HAAATE ORRZHOOOV!" became my catch phrase throughout the day as I got paired with Orzhovians in rounds 4 and 5 as well. Only scored one game win against them thanks to my [C]Simic Manipulator[/C].
I used a Simic guild box, but other than Biomass Mutation, I had no real bombs in the colors... So I added some Dimir.  Still didn't think the deck would be particularly good, so I made a RWB mostly Boros build as my backup.  It had Assemble the Legion + 3 Court Street Denizens for some nice synergy + Firemane AvengerAngelic Edict, and 2 x Syndic of Tithes, and the RW shockland.  I eventually made it a pure RW.

The second was definitely the more consistent and stronger build, but I was obstinate, so played the first match and lost in 10 minutes with the Simic build.  Then each match afterwards i started with the Simic and went to the Boros only when I lost.  Which in 3 cases was after the first game.  I only won with the Simic build once, and won 1 match total.

I think the scores for both decks were:
Simic: 1-6
Boros: 3-3

I also lost one game (and match) in Boros because I forgot I had two Court Street Denizens out with Assemble the Legions, and forgot to tap another one of my opponent's creatures - and took him down to 1.

The last match was a lot of fun.  First game I lost when the last round was 3-8, second game I won when the last round was 2-1, and third game I lost when the last round was 4-5.  All of the games were really tense and a lot of fun.
I played one prerelease on Saturday and one on Sunday.
I went Simic the first time and went 1-4 with my only win being a buy. I managed to get Biovisionary for two of my rares, a ton of great cipher cards but almost no evasive creatures and I think three evolve creatures total. Would've totally rebuilt my deck but my rounds almost always went to time so I didn't get a chnace.
I made up for it one Sunday going Orzhov with an awesome pool. I had seven pieces of removal in my deck and a handful of fliers and extort cards. My bombs were Assemble the Legion, Blind Obedience and Luminate Primordial with very high overall card quality. I honestly could have made a pretty great Boros deck with the cards I cut. I came thrid that time for my best tourney finish ever. Definately made up for Saturday.

I also saw one guy with two prophetic prisms, a keyrune and five guildgates out during one match. He said he had another gate in his deck too.

Oh yah, almost nobody at my store would go Gruul. In at least one event there were initially no takers until somebody felt sorry for them. There was a seroius danger of running out of Boros guildpacks though.
Just remembered the best part of the whole weekend.
I was playing against an Orzhov deck that won by casting Executioner's Swing on a creature that just attacked me (and got through) and then extorting me to death. I said that that was very Orzhov of him, sending a creature to attack me then fining me for injuries sustained while it was on my property.

I mean literally a house was on fire across the street.

We had a water main break in the parking lot. Meant no bathrooms for a couple hours and half the parking lot froze. Fun times.
Every time I cast Aurelia, the Warleader was funny and awesome. I closed out five games with her. The best was facing a smug little **** "who had been playing MtG since the beginning" and was getting on my case for telling him the rules when he was wrong. I found it funny he never took me up on my offer to call a judge though and took my word for it every time. He thought he had me on the ropes arround turn ten of one game when I had not pushed through a single point of damage yet and he was extorting me like crazy with a bunch of 1/1s.  Then I cast Aurelia as my third creature and it was battalion city and an 18 damage turn. The next turn it was over and he was getting huffy. Second game ended the exact same way but on turn six with a perfect curve. The only time I curved out perfectly all night! I did not say a word the second match cause I could see he was getting upset and had already gotten upset over my table talk. Silent and deadly!
"You wouldn't like me when I'm angry. I always back up my arguements with facts and documented sources." - The Credible Hulk
Act of Treason on my opponent's Firemane Avenger, allowing me to have battalion when swinging that turn.  I think you can guess the target of the resulting Lightning Helix.
Sign In to post comments