What's your favorite deck from the Duel of the Planeswalkers series?

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
My favorite deck is the Thoughts of wind deck from the first game.  I would love it if they updated this deck for D.O.T.P 14. Give us Thoughts of wind 2.0
Crosswinds and Ancient Wilds tie. Funny, because I was really indifferent to CW for a long time. Also really liked Claws of Vengeance.
Close your eyes. Fly away. In the land where dreams, all are true. IMAGE(http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/distilledpoizn/StupidJefferson.jpg)
2010 - Eyes of Shadows (not to be confused with Master of Shadows)
2012 - Dark Heavens
2013 - meh, don't really have a favorite. Pack Instinct I guess.
Grave Whispers from 2012.    Mono black control, my favourite all time deck type.    Had a decent mana curve, empty thier hand, kill their creatures, drop a bomb.    One of the few real control decks we ever got in duels.    
Grave Whispers from 2012.    Mono black control, my favourite all time deck type.    Had a decent mana curve, empty thier hand, kill their creatures, drop a bomb.    One of the few real control decks we ever got in duels.    

Yea despite the fact that 2012 had too many aggro tribal decks, it had by far the coolest decks imo. I really liked Dark Heavens, Gravewhispers,  and Ancient Depths just to name a few.
2010 - Relics of Doom. An insanely fun deck which could be both ultra fast aggro and full of mad control cards too (removal, counters, Tinker 'nuff said). It had good matchups against every deck bar the ridiculous vampire deck, and I've always loved the effect Howling Mine has on a duel...which informs my choice for DOTP 2013 too!)

2012 - Ghoulkeeper. I wished this deck had a more interesting playstyle than just 'plonk down a creature every turn, attack, remove threat, win' BUT it's because of its theme that I loved it. In every way, playing this deck made you feel like you were controlling a shambling, unstoppable zombie horde. Its pace was plodding as it was slow for an aggro deck, its zombies often came back from the grave, and they relentlessly multiplied thanks to certain cards. Love it, and really miss it.

2013 - Dream Puppets. I love alternate win conditions and mill is way up their with my favourites. This deck is really enjoyable mostly because the majority of opponents think it is an easy win when they see it but, to be honest, its a really good deck if built correctly. It's ridiculously fun to flood your opponent's hand with cards turn after turn and seeing them struggle to play more than one of them (and thus discard at the end of their turn), whilst watching their deck melt away. Thanks to the shift in the meta-game away from Goblins and Peacekeepers and towards slow decks like SS and MM, Dream Puppets has only increased in power and fun.
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
2009 - Root of the Firemind: Counter-burn done right with cheap burn and tons of counters.. with a bunch of Gelectrodes and Kiln Fiends as a kicker.  Yum.

2012 - Machinations:  After the expansion, this deck had a fun control suite.  Mirrorworks and Seer's Sundial for card advantage, Go for the Throat and Dispense Justice for cheap and flexible removal, Darksteel Plate for reusable indestructibility, Stoic Rebuttal and Undermine for counters, Damnation for a sweeper, Dead Reckoning for graveyard recursion + damage, and of course Cumber Stone to totally wreck the aggro 2012 meta.  And I'm still leaving out deathtouch, lifelink, metalcraft... this deck did everything.

2013 - Ancient Wilds:  Incredibly flexible and impossible to settle on the "perfect" build.  Like Machinations, it can do a little bit of everything, and the "green bounce engine" concept is original for the series.  And it sits perfectly on the meta power curve.. not overpowered, but generally has a chance against the rest of the field too.  And if the meta shifts so it doesn't, there's enough flexibility to adjust so it does!

2013 (Honorable Mention) - Grinning Malice:  Something about this deck grabs me.  Like AW, it's good but not overpowered.  I like the damage+discard theme.  I like the decisions each game around the perfect time to play Blightning, Hellhole Rats and Singe-mind Ogre.  I like planning around how to best play the game while activating Bloodchief Ascension.  I like Reanimate shenanigans.  Plus, as of Deck Pack 3, it's well-positioned in the meta to trash both the most-played deck (MM) and its most-played counter (DP).  So good times for me!

2009 - Ears of the Elves was the first deck I mastered. You could just buff and buff and buff until you did like 10k trample dmg. The main cards being Coat of Arms, Immaculate Magistrate, Imperious Perfect, Rhys the Exiled

2012 - Then came Ancient Depths. I just fell in love with all those big blue beasts - .Lorthos, the Tidemaker, Simic Sky Swallower, Tidal Kraken, Primeval Titan, Inkwell Leviathan. Oh, and lets not forget good old Kozilek and Ulamog. And Rite of Replication.

2013 - Now my favourite deck is Sepulchral Strength, because it has my favourite card - Grave Pact. I love it how you can build your whole deck around it, it's just perfect.
Crosswinds is my favorite, with Ancient Wilds a close second. I didn't play the other DotP games, so can't comment there.

And Slodice, I love Grave Pact so much that I did build my SS deck around it! Too fun!
2009 - Thoughts of wind
2012 - Ancient depths
2013 - Crosswinds  
2009 - Cries of Rage, shame it had so many crap filler cards, I loved the theme of this deck
2012 - Trinity of Elements, also a shame because of no manual mana tapping, such a fun deck though
2013 - Grim Procession, mainly because of the 3 Bloodgift Demon
I come from YGO where I usually played zombie/fiend decks, so I really like OD. The theme of the deck matters more to me than the playstyle.
My list is obviously:

2009 - Eons of Evil: The thrill to stall the game with removals until to reanimate/hardcast a fatty was amazing.
2012 - Ancient Depths: To ramp up fast enough into Eldrazis and Rites of Replication was nice.
2013- Mana Mastery: A hybrid between Eons of Evil and Ancient Depths: Ramp, tons of removals and awesome fatties.

2009 - Relics of Doom

2012 - Tie between Grave Whispers/Unquenchable Fire

2013 - Grinning Malice

2014 - Random deck?

Crosswinds and Ancient Wilds tie. Funny, because I was really indifferent to CW for a long time. Also really liked Claws of Vengeance.

I was beginning to think I was the only one who absolutely loved this deck. Godsire almost seems out of place in MM compared to Claws.

2009: Claws of Vengeance
2012: Unquenchable Fire with shouts out to Auramancer and Strength of Stone. That's right, Strength of Stone.
2013: This is a rough choice but given it's versatility and interaction, I must go with Grim Procession.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

my personal favorite is hands down scales of fury. Why because of those magnificent dragons. It made me shed a tear when i saw 2013 had no dragons and 2012 ruined the dragons.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
1. Red/Blue '09
2. Relics of Doom '09
3. Machinations '12
4. Dark Heavens '12
5. Thoughts of Wind '09
6. Liliana '09
7. Crosswinds '13
8. Obedient Dead '13
9. Mana Mastery '13
10. March to War '12 

I was beginning to think I was the only one who absolutely loved this deck. Godsire almost seems out of place in MM compared to Claws.

2009: Claws of Vengeance
2012: Unquenchable Fire with shouts out to Auramancer and Strength of Stone. That's right, Strength of Stone.
2013: This is a rough choice but given it's versatility and interaction, I must go with Grim Procession.

Honestly, I can't even remember if Claws was a good deck. Plus I was pretty inexperienced back then. I just really like throwing Godsires
Close your eyes. Fly away. In the land where dreams, all are true. IMAGE(http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/distilledpoizn/StupidJefferson.jpg)
I was 100% inexperienced in the 2009 game.
Cut my teeth on it... so to speak.

Claws was an awesome deck. If we could have trimmed it to 60 it could have been the best deck of the game imho.
With cards like GodsireBull Cerodon</a>Woolly Thoctar, Lightning Helix, Incinerate, Titanic Ultimatum, Sigil Blessing, 4x Pacifism, Brion Stoutarm.....

I could keep going.

Sigil Blessing on a Woolly Thoctar, attack if you can, sac with Brion Stoutarm for 8 direct damage.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

The lack of deck editing completely killed 2009 for me. I can't honestly comment on any of its decks, because I never even finished unlocking any of them.

For 2012:
1. Ancient Depths
2. Grave Whispers
3. Machinations (UB)
4. Ghoulkeeper
5. Beknighted

Honorable mention goes to Trinity, which looked fun, but was made nigh-unplayable by the game engine.

For 2013:
1. Mana Mastery
2. Obedient Dead
3. Sepulchral Strength
4. Born of Flame
5. Ancient Wilds

Honorable mention goes to Crosswinds, which was at the top of the list for the first several months of the game's life cycle.
For wanting to win in 2hg it was last years lilliana and this years talrand.  In 4player it was last years machinations.

For just favorite to play in 2hg its either this years izzet or dimir. which both get hozed by auraus >< I just dig their style.

which i guess makes sense cause i don't dig aruas style 
Realm of Illusions <3. So broken lol
For me, it's probably gotta be Ancient Depths. solely because I hadn't played Magic since like 97 or something (I started around IV Edition or something, played for a few years). Back then, Polar Kraken was the biggest baddest creature around. Then I played a bit of DotP 09 at a friends house, messed around a bit playing paper with some friends' decks (stuff like ping deck using Goblin Sharpshooter and Death Pits of Rath or a Squirrel deck, etc.) Then when I started playing DotP 12, it was fun. But then I got AD. All that ramp into Eldrazi? Absolutely blew my mind.

In retrospect, I prefer other decks (Machinations, Primal Instinct, BoF, Strength of Stone all come to mind) but that one really just blew me away the first time. 
all this talk is making me redownload and play 2012...too bad 2009 didnt have the removal of base cards, bc im sure it would've played a lot better
Grave Whispers, and it's not even close.  Loved that deck
I'm not sure: either Mana Mastery or Dream Puppets. Why?

Mana Mastery: It's unique, simple as that. Note that I don't mean because it's the only 5-color deck in the game, but because it's not mainstream.
Dream Puppets: An alternate win condition is always great, and this deck is actually fun to play unlike that deck depletion deck of '09 which just felt like a bunch of random cards slapped together.
2010: Eons of evil
2012: No Particular one
2013: Grim Procession

Anyone remember the old 1995 Microprose one with dotp expansion? lol
Forgot about Eons of Evil. Love that one! All in all, I'd say '09 had the best decks. I vote for a re-release of that game with updated game mechanics from 2013-14.

Anyone remember the old 1995 Microprose one with dotp expansion? lol

Yes, that was great!  My first Magic experience actually.  Although after a short time collecting cards it was easy to build decks that the AI simply had no idea how to handle and steamroll them before they even really got a turn in.. deck-building restrictions are probably needed for CCG single-player games if you want to maintain any sort of balance or challenge.

Sign In to post comments