My Blue Control/ Mill - Constructive Criticism

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey there, would like some help in editing my Blue counter/ milling deck to make it mill faster and also want to make it standard legal to take to FNM's. Here's what I currently have:
Well if your wanting it to be standered legal you have a lot of none legal cards In it For starters.....
Yep, LOTS of cards that have long since rotated out of Standard legal. As a note, standard is currently Innistrad, Dark Ascension, Avacyn Restored, M13, Return to Ravnica and soon to be Gatecrash. Anything not printed in those sets is right out.

Sooo, that'll be..

Keening Stone
Jace  (Memory Adept is legal, but Mind Sculptor is only legal in Legacy)
Thieving Magpie
Wall of Frost
Guard Gomazoa
Evacuation
Tome Scour
Leyline of Anticipation
Treasure Hunt
Boomerang
Turn Aside
Jace's Erasure

Soo, out those go, leaving a LOT of room. You'll pretty much have to start from scratch. A few things to note: to gain consistency, make sure you have a lot of copies of cards you need. If you have several cards that do similar things (Essense Scatter and Cancel) then you can mix and match as you like, but something like Jace's Phantasm is pretty unique, so you'd want more of it, probably 4. If you can, Jace, Memory Adept is great for milling. There are also a LOT of nice new milling cards in Gatecrash, and it might even tempt you to add black for the juicy Dimir cards like Mind Grind, Consuming Abberation and Wight of Precinct Six against creature heavy decks. Also, [c]Nephalia Drownyard is a great mill card also in blue/black that doesn't even take up a spell slot!

Also, remember to focus on defending yourself. Milling only matters if you can get their whole deck (or you have a Phantasm/Abberation out), so being able to fend off the creatures and spells on your opponent's side is very important, even over more milling.  
Yeah I built this when I picked up magic around M11 and haven't done to much to it since. I'm still a total newbie at deckbuilding though. I preordered a Gatecrash booster box. What other cards do you guys recommend? Loving those black mill cards definitely
Here is my revised decklist. Found a lot of cards I like so suggestions to trim it to 60 would be really helpful and anything to make it faster if needed. Would like to keep the mana curve low.

[sblock=DiMill Deck]

Creatures:
4x Jace's Phantasm
4x Nightveil Specter
3x Duskmantle Guildmage
3x Undead Alchemist
3x Undercity Informer
3x Gravecrawler
4x Wight of Precinct Six

Spells:
4x Psychic Strike
4x Paranoid Delusions
4x Mind Sculpt
4x Dream Twist
4x Mind Grind
4x Increasing Confusion

I can figure out the mana base from the finalized list. Will include 4x Dimir Guildgate. Was also considering Mortus Strider, Aetherize, and .
hmm your all standered legal so yay lol. The deck list looks like a good start, tbh I don't hava any experience with most of the new mill cards yet. 

for starters I don't see any thought scour and I think you might wanna use it.

id say drop
-4 paranoid delusion 
-3 undead alchemists
-4 nightveil specter
mabye drop 1 of both your X spells

mabye replace dream twist or mind sculpt with thought scour.

hmm your all standered legal so yay lol. The deck list looks like a good start, tbh I don't hava any experience with most of the new mill cards yet. 

for starters I don't see any thought scour and I think you might wanna use it.

id say drop
-4 paranoid delusion 
-3 undead alchemists
-4 nightveil specter
mabye drop 1 of both your X spells

mabye replace dream twist or mind sculpt with thought scour.

I'm a little iffy on dropping those cards, reason why is to cipher the paranoid delusion onto several monsters such as the Phantasm or Specter so for every damage hit they'd be discarding 3 cards for every cipher. The benefits of the specter is only 3 cmc, flying and exiles top card for every hit. If I'm playing an opponent with or I can play their exiled cards. The Undead Alchemist work together with Gravecrawler and Undercity Informer.

Alchemists creates zombies, sacrifice to Informant's effect, crawlers can also be sacrificed to said effect and be resummoned from graveyard and repeated. These and cipher mill are the core creature strategies of the deck.

Dream Twist is 3 mill for 1 mana plus flashback for repeat next turn. Not sure if just drawing one card with Thought Scour is worth it but I can be convinced. Dropping the x cards might be good since they'd need a few mana each to make them decent and I'd be tapping out my entire mana board on every use.
Valid points, I agree with every thing but the specter now. I still don't see him as a worthy main deck card here for some reason, sideboard easy yes, main deck I'm a little iffy on it.

also with your deck set up said from the zombie work, I see you more likely to kill your enemy than mill him out. i also happen to like both the X spells, but running 8 is just asking for trouble IMO. I'm not a giant fan undead alchemist the 2 toughness just makes me cringe but I agree if he stays in play the game shifts greatly in your favor.

there is another thread floating around here that is doing a dimir mill deck, I'd suggest checking that out. 

thought scour is a strong mill card IMO, that draw to replace its self can really be nice since you lack drawing potential. 
Ok so this is the revised
-4 Specter
-1 Psychic Strike
-1 Mind Sculpt
-4 Dream Twist
+4 Thought Scour
-2 Mind Grind
-2 Increasing Confusion

Lands
4x Dimir Guildgate
10x Island
8x Swamp