A Detektor Blip: Whispers of the Maro

41 posts / 0 new
Last post
Whispers of the Maro
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature an opponent controls
Enchanted creature has no abilities and its power and toughness are each equal to the number of cards in your hand.
"Sages know their doom, but sunflowers feel no dread. Which are wiser?" - 26th riddle of the maro

I thought this could be an interesting form of green suppression/removal in aggressive decks. 
Man, I wish I could pay you to write my flavor text.
cool split card

Man, I wish I could pay you to write my flavor text.

You can.
"Whispers of the Maro"? Aren't those what Bankai needs antipsychotics for?
I have no money. Unless you take fictional checks?
Added to the list of cards I wish I'd thought of.

Hm, the phrase sounds a bit more like a Koan than what I would strictly call a riddle. 

As far as the card goes... the "you" refers to the caster of the card, yes? I can see that being confusing for less experienced players. That said, it's a very cool concept. 
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
Bankai is still around? Oh my god.

http://nogoblinsallowed.com/

Nice. If it were actually printed the name would have to be changed to something a little more universal but among us YMTCers it works fine.

:slowclap:

This card is awesome. I would play it! It's like a hellbent card, but flavorful.

But why can't it target your own creatures? You would have to bump the cost to or so, but it would give the card added versatility, and leave the usage you so clearly lay out here as a secret Easter Egg for players to discover.

PORTRAIT OF A PLANESWALKER – Coming October 13th, 2013

IMAGE(http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/385.gif)

Seriously dude, when I messaged you a few months back I was really trying to help you, but I feel like you're so set in your ways that it's impossible to make any progress with you.

You know how Razorborne and I treat him? Yeah, we started where you are now. Then he murdered the little bits inside of us that believed in humanity.
You know how Razorborne and I treat him? Yeah, we started where you are now. Then he murdered the little bits inside of us that believed in humanity.

Ahahaha. Yeah, I like to think that my belief in humanity shines thru with such wonder that no mere narcissist could ever shake it. I dated a girl kind of like him once, and she did way more damage than he could ever do. But thanks for the heads up.

Woah. I actually wasn't expecting such a harsh reaction. Maybe Jessica was right about you!

And I suppose you're a master of telling the truth, hm?

I lied to myself for years, but no more. For anyone who cares, I'm trans, and ever since I discovered the feminine side of myself I've been soaring higher and higher.

Woah. I actually wasn't expecting such a harsh reaction. Maybe Jessica was right about you!

And I suppose you're a master of telling the truth, hm?

I lied to myself for years, but no more. For anyone who cares, I'm trans, and ever since I discovered the feminine side of myself I've been soaring higher and higher.

Well if you're serious then congratulations on finding something that makes you happy ^_^
That's pretty nice PO. I for one commend you.

I'd dish out some meaningless satirical psychobabble but I'd rather not stoop to his level. I hope you feel better soon man. I'm actually pretty sure that a sincere apology would actually make people take you a lot more seriously. For what it is worth.
Well if you're serious then congratulations on finding something that makes you happy ^_^

I'm always serious. And thanks, Jessica, it means a lot! =)

And FWIW, Kevin, I love you. Really, I do. I only hope that some day you find a way to love yourself, instead of twisting your self-loathing outwards by degrading others.

No one can help you with that. It does come from within.

Sadly, you've all got a lot of catching up to do. You've all started out here treated me bad.  And for years, you've all banded together to mass harass me for fun. It was lots of fun right? You'll never be able to make this up to me.

You guys have proven yourself to be everything you've said I am; self-absorbed, careless, delusional, etc. And the worst of all, arrogant without actually possessing what it takes to live up to it. Some people are arrogant, but their arrogance can be justified because they've got what it takes and everyone can see it. But then you have those who are just full of themselves. They're arrogant, but they ain't even all that. This is the greater of the two evils. And it so unfitting for people who ain't all that to act like they are. Whereas it's not so bad when someone is all that flaunts it, because they're not lying to themselves or trying to fabricate reality; their greatness is a reality.

Even then however, as far as it goes for life general, social prowess all comes down to how nice you are; how good you treat people. Beauty is a power yet, and it rules the social realm. But the next step is the Personal Realm, and LOVE rules the personal realm. No one likes to be treated bad, neglected, taken advantage of, etc. Even if you are all that, if you don't treat a person good and are sincere about it, they won't love you or they'll fall out of love with you; and you'll lose that personal connection; because love rules the personal realm.

I've disproved you all countless times, and you always enter total denial mode. That's when I do the right thing and walk away. I've got the skills it takes to deal with people like this. I'll just keep doing my best to do the right thing. Are you all going to just keep doing what's wrong? I guess so because...

All-in-all, you're all just another brick in the wall.

IMAGE(http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/7/74/Spr_5b_645.png)

IN OTHER NEWS THIS CARD IS STILL REALLY GOOD.

MY MIGHTY CAPITAL LETTERS AGREE WITH YOURS!

Thank you, Imi.

Seriously, someone should nominate this for Card of the Week. I would, but I've already used up my nominations for the week. 

You know what? Imi is right. This card is good.

This Detektor. He or she rights flavor like it was once wrong. I feel like justified after reading the italicized words. I hope your career has something to do with the manufacture of short verbal blurbs. The world needs to experience your arrangements of letters, holmes.
Detektor is doing a MSc. His whole career will be being as verbose as possible. :P
Looks like I've missed a lot over the past year...?

Back to the topic on hand, I agree that this should be able to target your own creatures. Increase the cost for increased flexibility. And dat flavour.
I have a sig because it gives my posts better spacing.
    I've removed content from this thread because vulgarity is a violation of the Code of Conduct.  You can review the Code of Conduct here www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_...

Please keep your posts polite, respectful, and on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks.
The fact that I can flawlessly follow what happened in this thread after an ORC visited it is pretty astounding.

I'm not too sold on the card personally, not being able to enchant your own creatures is just strange. The card deals with wisdom, but the entire intent behind it is to make a creature die from watching your stupidity.

Which isn't too far away from...
Edit: I suppose there's the argument that you become a sunflower once you have no cards in your hand, but I don't think the creature considers himself too smart for following the commands of a plant.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

"You" is indeed the caster. It would only apply to the creature's controller if it gave the creature "This creature's power and toughness are each equal to the number of cards in your hand", which it doesn't - it's an effect imposed on the creature from outside.

@Mown: I decided not to let it enchant your own creatures because I thought it was important to remove all other abilities in order to be viable suppression. That's not something you generally want to do to your own creatures. I would also have had to increase the mana cost by a lot, which would  cut into its removal potential.

The flavour text is metaphorical. When you have no cards in hand, you have to live in the present like the sunflower. But sometimes it's more useful not to know anything about the future (mainly because then you can kill creatures for ), in which case sagacity is a disadvantage. So wisdom can actually consist of choosing to know nothing, if this leads to a better outcome down the line. For example, carrying on and pretending one's thread hasn't erupted into an online pit fight.
While creative, this card just doesn't seem green at all to me. Black all the way.
bigby's hand creature pheonix
flying
This has power and toughness equal the number of cards in your hand.
Whenever this takes damage, discard a card.
Whenever this deals damage, draw a card.
~a rock in a high place is potential
X/X
I’ve removed content from this thread because trolling/baiting is a violation of the Code of Conduct.

You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_...

Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks.You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively.

If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the Report Post button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.

While creative, this card just doesn't seem green at all to me. Black all the way.

Pretty much.  It's more or less a Hellbent "destroy enchanted creature".  I don't think Green has ever been able to reduce a creature's toughness (except through Wither or Infect of course)
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok
This is green because it turns a creature into a Maro. It could be black, but that would defeat the purpose.
It doesn't though.  If anything, it turns a creature into Adamaro, First to Desire.
Maro rewards you for having lots of cards in your hand, but this card rewards you for having fewer cards in your hand.  Apart from the name, it's very little like Maro.
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok
Well, I think there's still enough of a flavour connection to justify this in green. You're right about it being a bit of a stretch, though.
I think if it was usable on your own creatures as a pump aura, and incidentally happened to be something you could twist in clever ways to remove an opponent's creature, it would be fine in Green.  The fact that it's only usable as removal is what makes it feel out of color.
It doesn't though.  If anything, it turns a creature into Adamaro, First to Desire.
Maro rewards you for having lots of cards in your hand, but this card rewards you for having fewer cards in your hand.  Apart from the name, it's very little like Maro.

Depends. On a saproling token, it's a classic maro. But it's more likely to be used as removal.

I'd say it can be green for flavorful reasons. Beast Within works off the same idea (by which I mean flavor).
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Well, you don't have to kill the creature outright. Turning it into a 1/1 or 2/2 with no abilities is also pretty useful. Green has some precedent for stuff like that in cards such as Snakeform.
Detektor is doing a MSc. His whole career will be being as verbose as possible. :P

Thanks for the inphormation, mang. I'll phile that away like a bureaucratic ninja. Phor sure.
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />You guys have proven yourself to be everything you've said I am; self-absorbed, careless, delusional, etc. And the worst of all, arrogant without actually possessing what it takes to live up to it. Some people are arrogant, but their arrogance can be justified because they've got what it takes and everyone can see it. But then you have those who are just full of themselves. They're arrogant, but they ain't even all that. This is the greater of the two evils. And it so unfitting for people who ain't all that to act like they are. Whereas it's not so bad when someone is all that flaunts it, because they're not lying to themselves or trying to fabricate reality; their greatness is a reality.

Arrogance cannot be justified by capability. Arrogance is not a positive trait, though it is easily mistakable for positive traits like self-confidence.
Everybosy here as to learn to be forgiven and practice humility.
I'm not trying to needle you or be rude. I'm just trying to help you and all the other forum-goers. Nobody benefits from the way things currently are around here.
I think if it was usable on your own creatures as a pump aura, and incidentally happened to be something you could twist in clever ways to remove an opponent's creature, it would be fine in Green.  The fact that it's only usable as removal is what makes it feel out of color.

I think this is why I dislike the card.
I really like it, but it doesn't feel mono green.

I could see :BGM: but that might make it a little too powerful.
But I definately see :BM: in it as it is. Black doesn't mind at all discarding cards to kill something and/or watch something suffer.

If it was more viable in enchanting your own stuff as well I could see :BM::GM:, but I still don't like it as mono-green.

At the heart, I feel this card is very black.

I mean, if I described a card where:
You could destroy a creature by discarding each card in your hand.
I would assume it to be a black card.
You could enhance a creature by drawing more cards.
I would assume it to be a green card, maybe a black card as well.

Combined you get :BM::GBM: (to me), and I would prefer to keep it as mono black.
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
Sign In to post comments