Create a new guild mechanic.

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rate others. Have fun.

Simic 

Adaption: As long as this creature has a +1/+1 counter, it gains flying/trample/reach/wither/whatever

Azorius

Law X: as long as this creature is on the battlefield, enemy opponents cannot play cards with converted mana cost of X

Dimir

Intelliegnce X: when this creature is blocked you may disacrd and draw cards equal to X

Selesnya

Commune: If another creature has enetered the battlefield under you control this turn, this creature enters with lifelink.
Adaptation: Fine, but you're probably going to want to expand it to more than just keywords.
Law: Kind of boring.
Intelligence: Sure, why not. Acts a nice enabler to Cipher.
Commune: They don't want green to have lifelink by itself because green and white have too much in common. Also, this would probably need to use some sort of counter to act as a reminder, a la Xathrid Gorgon. The petrification is not tied to the counter, it just reminds you that it's a thing that happened.  
Adaptation: Fine, but you're probably going to want to expand it to more than just keywords.
Law: Kind of boring.
Intelligence: Sure, why not. Acts a nice enabler to Cipher.
Commune: They don't want green to have lifelink by itself because green and white have too much in common. Also, this would probably need to use some sort of counter to act as a reminder, a la Xathrid Gorgon. The petrification is not tied to the counter, it just reminds you that it's a thing that happened.  

I fail to see why they think that. If two colours synergise and have a lot of stuff in common, then why not make the guild revolve around mechanics they share? Anyway how about this instead?

Commune: When this creature enters the battlefield you gain life equal to the ammount of creatures of control. 
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />Azorius

Law X: as long as this creature is on the battlefield, enemy opponents cannot play cards with converted mana cost of X

Dangerous effect. Would probably cost a lot, especially in the case of Law 2.
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />Azorius

My thought would be that low power critters have stuff like law 5 and law 4 so that they make badass late game counters. And more expensive powerful creatures have stuff like law 2, but at the point where you can drop them, 2 mana cards are kind of irrelevant.

But overall Law creatures are expensive and fairly weak, so they're easilly counterable. But that it'd be crazy fun and mean to have a few on the board and totally shut down your opponent for a few turns.

My thought would be that low power critters have stuff like law 5 and law 4 so that they make badass late game counters. And more expensive powerful creatures have stuff like law 2, but at the point where you can drop them, 2 mana cards are kind of irrelevant.

But overall Law creatures are expensive and fairly weak, so they're easilly counterable. But that it'd be crazy fun and mean to have a few on the board and totally shut down your opponent for a few turns.

At what point in the game are 2 mana cards EVER irrelevant?!

2 mana has most removal that people actually run. And in modern, most counters aswell.

Hell, it also has Tarmogoyf and Snapcaster, among others.
there are plenty of use low casting cost spells

Simic Slivers creature slivers
creatures with +1/+1 counters are slivers
(1/1)

Batalion Silvers creature sliver
If 3 more more you control creatures attack, they are slivers to end od turn.
(0/3)
woops brain fart. Anyway.

Izzet

Invent X: You return this card to the top of your library, if you do all instants and sorceries this turn cost X less this turn.

Gruul
 All-Out N - At the beginning of each combat, you may have this creature get +N/+0 and gain haste and trample until end of turn. If you do, sacrifice it at the beginning of the next end step.

Tribute - Return this creature to your hand, add mana to your mana pool equal to its mana cost. Tribute only once per turn.

Orzhov
Proxy - Whenever this permanent would die, you may remove all damage from it, and sacrifice a permanent that shares a type with it instead.

Contract - When this creature enters the battlefield, you may pair it with an unpaired creature an opponent controls. Whenever either creature dies, BONUS. Those creatures remain in a contract as long as they both remain on the battlefield under the control of different players.

Izzet
Chain - This spell costs 1 less for each spell you've cast this turn.

Reckless (cost) - You may cast this spell for its Reckless cost. If you do, choose its target at random.  

Rakdos
Ritual - Discard this spell and pay 1 life: Add one mana of any of this cards colors to your mana pool. If you spend this mana to cast BLAH, that spell BONUS. Activate this ability only once per turn.  

Nihilism - Ability word that rewards you for having less life than each other player.  

Golgari
Hoard - When this creature enters the battlefield, you may search your library for a card with QUALITY and put it into your graveyard. When this creature dies return a card with QUALITY from your graveyard to your hand.

Boros
Rally - Whenever a creature attacks, this creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn. 

Armed - As long as this creature is equipped or enchanted, BONUS.

Dominance - As long as you control more creatures than your opponent, BONUS.

Dimir
Intel - An ability word that rewards you for having more cards in hand than an opponent.

Espionage - An ability word that exiles things from an opponent's library, and then does stuff based on what was exiled, a la Imprint.

Selesnya
Reverence - Ability word that rewards you for having more life than each opponent.

*&!%, this is fun!
Boros

Regroup (When this creature dies, you may put a creature card that costs less from your hand onto the battlefield)

Would actually like this way more than battalion, especially since it's anti-boardwipe (which WR needs). Would also lead to some pretty awkward blocks.

Barracks Unit Assembler
Creature - Human Soldier

Haste, Regroup
: Creatures you control have haste until end of turn.

Pushed? Me? Naaaah

2/2

Orzhov
Proxy - Whenever this permanent would die, you may remove all damage from it, and sacrifice a permanent that shares a type with it instead.

Dimir
Intel - An ability word that rewards you for having more cards in hand than an opponent.

Proxy would work better with Golgari or Selesnya. With gogari it'd work exactly the same but call it something like Mulch. With selesnya reverse it so if another creature is destroyed, you can destroy this much weaker creature instead, and call it something like selfless.

It's just that Orzhov don't really have any HUGE creatures that you would really want to save, and they're not creature spammy enough to have all that many sacrafices at the ready. Still super flavoured and Orzhov themed though with some slight synergy with haunt. And it's kind of reminiscent of that new death angel card.

And intel is okay but i'd argue that dimir are more about deck milling. It'd be awesome if creature gets bonus if you've millled an enemy this turn, while still keeping the flavour.

Anyway

Simic
Analyze: Sacrafice this creature, draw cards equal to it's power.

Experiment 2 :gum:
Creature - Merfolk Ooze

Analyze, Evolve

1/1
The concept behind Intel is that it rewards you for knowing more than your opponent, and no one knows more than the Dimir.
Mechanically, it makes more sense for the Azorius, I'll admit.

Analyze is broke as HELL without an activation cost.
Oh, you're killing it? Let me just draw some cards instead.
Maybe if it was just a death trigger instead.

How about

Dissect - When this creature dies, you may look at the top X cards of your library, where X is its power or its toughness, and put one into your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your library.

The concept behind Intel is that it rewards you for knowing more than your opponent, and no one knows more than the Dimir.
Mechanically, it makes more sense for the Azorius, I'll admit.

Analyze is broke as HELL without an activation cost.
Oh, you're killing it? Let me just draw some cards instead.  

Only for squishies with evolve. Basically cheap disposable creatures , that the enemy should of squished before it got some counters. I dont expect to put it on a 7/7 leviathan or something.
But no I actually perfer Dissect well done. Much more mechanically sound. 
Izzet: Brainstorm (You may copy this spell for each card you've drawn this turn. If you do, you may choose new targets for each copy.)

All cards I make have artists credited in the appropriate places. Artist names in "quotes" are DeviantArt usernames unless otherwise mentioned.

"I play a Grave Betrayal. I get all your dead things now, mwahahahaha!"
"Okay. I play a Phage the Untouchable. Piss me off and I will sac it."
"... ... ... so guys, remind me again how to sac my own enchantments?"

Izzet: Brainstorm (You may copy this spell for each card you've drawn this turn. If you do, you may choose new targets for each copy.)

oh dear god

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

Firstly, they wouldn't name an entire mechanic after a well-known card.
Second, sweet merciful crap.
Firstly, they wouldn't name an entire mechanic after a well-known card.
Second, sweet merciful crap.

Firstly, I didn't know about that card. Whoops. Let's rename it Mindstorm then.

Secondly...yes. Time for Trade Secrets, no? :D

All cards I make have artists credited in the appropriate places. Artist names in "quotes" are DeviantArt usernames unless otherwise mentioned.

I would kinda like Law for azorius if for one change, make it universal. Flavorwise it makes more sense for Azorius anyhow. Their legal complications and bueracracy holds up even them... Alternatively how about:

Law x: Spells with converted mana cost x have their mana cost increased by
This would allow multiple law cards to stack....

Really like dissect, though it almost sounds like an action word (i.e. dissect target creature.) But still very flavorful for simic.... 
Hmm, this thread looks interesting.

Swarm  (When you play a creature from your hand, you may play this creature for its Swarm cost instead of its normal cost.) Maybe add "on your turn," lest it combo too well with Flash. Replace with the cost. Black/Green.

Rumor (When this card comes into play, flip your library upside-down. The top of your library becomes its bottom, and vice-versa.) Note that this effect could turn your library right-side up again afterwards. Black/Blue.

Toll  (Any opponent may block this creature by paying . Any opponent may render this creature unable to block by paying .) I think this fits with the Orzhov flavor well. Intended to be an extra cost, so a creature might be a 4/4 for and Toll. Again, replace with the cost. 
Hmm, this thread looks interesting.

Swarm  (When you play a creature from your hand, you may play this creature for its Swarm cost instead of its normal cost.) Maybe add "on your turn," lest it combo too well with Flash. Replace with the cost. Black/Green.

Rumor (When this card comes into play, flip your library upside-down. The top of your library becomes its bottom, and vice-versa.) Note that this effect could turn your library right-side up again afterwards. Black/Blue.

Toll  (Any opponent may block this creature by paying . Any opponent may render this creature unable to block by paying .) I think this fits with the Orzhov flavor well. Intended to be an extra cost, so a creature might be a 4/4 for and Toll. Again, replace with the cost. 

Swarm okay. If it costed life it would feel more black and thus more golgari.

Rumor, eh, it's a very meh mechanic. Has little synergy with the other dimir stuff, and only works well with a few cards that "put the rest on the bottom of your library." It also doesn't feel black at all. I'll do my own version.

I REALLY LIKE TOLL. But if it used life it would feel way more Orzhov.
Dimir
Rumor X , look at the top X cards of target player's deck, you may put them back in any order.

Synergises meanly with the dimir's milling stuff. Because it's an untap ability it fits within the whole "unblockable" thing. And the whole "attack and get rewarded" thing with cipher. Also feels more rumor-ey. Like you totally heard from jessica, who heard from erica that he's going to totes draw a land.

Rakdos
Hellbent- When this card enters the battlefield, you may discard a card, in which case this creature gains haste and first strike.
This might be a bit silly.

Rakdos:

Battleready ( You may declare this creature as an attacker during the declare attackers step even if you are not the active player)
Dimir
Lobotomize (When this creature deals damage to a player, that player put that many cards from the top of his or her library into his or her graveyard.)

Simic
Slithbound (When this creature deal combat to a player, put a +1/+1 counter on it)
This might be a bit silly.

Rakdos:

Battleready ( You may declare this creature as an attacker during the declare attackers step even if you are not the active player)

Seems more Boros
Selinis

Animal Guild creature elf beast
and Tap an Untapped Barrier:
 Target creature gains Hunter to end of turn.
( If a creature with hunter is unopposed(attacking and not blocked after blockers are declared).
   it may do its damage to target creature defending player controls instead.)
~instinct and intelligence are not different
2/2
Selinis

Animal Guild creature elf beast
and Tap an Untapped Barrier:
 Target creature gains Hunter to end of turn.
( If a creature with hunter is unopposed(attacking and not blocked after blockers are declared).
   it may do its damage to target creature defending player controls instead.)
~instinct and intelligence are not different
2/2

Let me reword that in a way that doesn't make the templates cry...

"If a creature with hunter attacks and is not blocked, you may prevent all combat damage it would deal. If you do, it deals damage equal to its power to target creature defending player controls."

@Thoctar: Damn those were some nice mechanics. All-Out was particularily cool. I want to see a card with "when ~ goes all-out" on it, probably a good way to make it matter for more than just alpha strikes. Also I wouldn't have it automatically grant haste and trample, that seems like too much stuff to tie into the mechanic and it's only going to limit you design options.
@ BlueJ: Toll is amazing. Swarm is pretty cool too, but everything but the name feels more :RGM: or :RWM: than :BGM:.
@cazoo & Dtolle: I'd make Law make spells of that cmc cost more for your opponents to cast. Raising the cost does weird things and totally disallowing spells of a certain cmc seems a little hard to balance and find design space for.

My ability for Boros:
Battlecast- This spell costs less to cast for each attacking creature.
Not a whole lot of design space here but I think there's enough to be worth exploring. I'd make it "for each creature that attacked this turn" but I'm afraid of the memory issues. Substituting "spell" for "ability" also works.

Boros
No quarter - If you attacked with all creatures you control without defender this turn, BONUS

Glad to see that yous like Toll.

My ability for Boros:

Could be interesting for Instant spells and Flash creatures. Or maybe a spell that gives, say, +1/+1 for each attacking creature?
Glad to see that yous like Toll.

My ability for Boros:

Could be interesting for Instant spells and Flash creatures. Or maybe a spell that gives, say, +1/+1 for each attacking creature?

Exactly my thoughts. It makes for a mean X pump spell.
Sign In to post comments