thrun the last troll

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
because thrn the last troll says thrun,the last troll cant be countered doess that mean he cant be blocked by creatures?

Are you sure this qustion belonges on the Dungeons and Dragons Fourth eddition general questions fourum?
The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.
This sounds more like a Magic the Gathering question.

While I have not played magic since some of the cards had a flying boat in the background of the art and occasional observations from the crew of said boat in the flavour text I do know this-

COUNTERING a SPELL card as it is being CAST and BLOCKING an ATTACKING CREATURE are not the same thing.
The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.

While I have not played magic since some of the cards had a flying boat in the background of the art and occasional observations from the crew of said boat in the flavour text I do know this-

COUNTERING a SPELL card as it is being CAST and BLOCKING an ATTACKING CREATURE are not the same thing.

yea but it has hexproff already so what would it mean by it cant be countered....

yea but it has hexproff already so what would it mean by it cant be countered....

It means exactly that.  If you cast Thrun, and someone responds with a spell like Cancel, which says 'counter target spell', nothing happens.
What dose HEXPROFF mean?
Dose it mean that the creature can't be targeted by spells and abillities?
A spell being cast is not a creature, it is a spell being cast.  

In both Magic the Gathering that you play and D&D4E that this fourum is dedicated to things only do what they say they do. 
*breaks out his old judging hat*

Ok, Hexproof (aka Creature cannot be the target of spells or abilities your opponents control) only works while the creature is in play (know known as the battlefield or something).  

So there seems to be a couple of questions here:

1.) Hexproof does not prevent a creature spell from being countered while it is being cast (with say a cancel)
2.) Hexproof does not prevent a creature from being blocked during combat
3.) The only way that a "counterspell" can not counter a creature is when a creature has "cannot be countered" from either it's own text or an ability granted from another card.
4.) The ability to prevent the counterspell only matters while you are casting/playing the creature from your hand by paying it's mana cost, and only while it's on the stack and has not resolved.
5.) The ability to prevent the counterspell with "This creature cannot be countered" only apply to spells that say "counter target spell" or "counter target creature" - if there was a spell your opponent could cast that say "gain control of target creature spell as it is being cast" that spell could work.

So here's a breakdown:

Your turn, you draw Thrun, you tap 4 mana and announce you are playing Thrun.  While the spell is on the stack waiting to resolve, your opponents cannot cast "Cancel" to counter Thrun, but they can cast other spells on it now - for example, Venser Shaper Servant can return target spell to owners hand when he is played - and that is not a counter. Assuming nothing like that happens Thrun comes into play.

Now, Thrun can't be the target of your opponents spells and abilities - But a spell like "Wrath of God" would still destroy him (and he cannot regenerate) because that spell does not target him.  And when you attack with Thrun, he can still be blocked.  

Hope this helps.  
Welcome to ZomboniLand - My D&D Blog http://zomboniland.blogspot.com/
Nitpick: Players can target Thrun with counterspells while he's on the stack; they will simply fail to counter him.
Nitpick: Players can target Thrun with counterspells while he's on the stack; they will simply fail to counter him.

You are correct, I am shamed Embarassed

*Throws old judging hat away*
Welcome to ZomboniLand - My D&D Blog http://zomboniland.blogspot.com/