GateCrash Prerelease

72 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was really excited to go to the prerelease. My good friend and I got off work and rushed over to the Game shop. The place was packed and the smell of excitement was in the air. My friend would play Dimir and I would play Gruul. I was really interesting to see how the bloobrush mechanic would play out.

Our guildpacks were dished out to us and we opened our cards. To my pleasant surprise I opened bomb after bombs and all the good commons and uncommons you would need to build a successful Gruul deck. The gates and charms and guildmage went along nicely with my bombs.

I got a little nervous that "With a pool like this the onus is on me to win this thing".

Carefully I crafted my deck and was ready to go.

I cruised through the rounds with little trouble as my bloodrush and situational removal was right for the occassion.

I took down several bomby decks and went on to win first place at 4-0

People came and shook my hand and it was a good feeling, I sat down at the winner's table after the tourney and the runner-up shyly and nervously told me that I made a misplay in the final round on one of the bloodrush cards. I replied "I tried my best." and felt at ease.

but then something happened...

I felt a little dizzy and my vision started to get hazy I felt sick to my stomach...like a volt I straightened up and was in a cold sweat.

I wasn't at the winner's table I was looking at my sealed pool still before the tournament.

My hand was shaking and it started to all come back to me...I was still in deck construction.

I kept shuffling the cards in my hand over and over again, trying to figure out what I wasn't understanding about the situation.

I had a Gruul prerelease guildpack with only two bloodrush creatures (1 was the promo!) the other was Slaughterhorn.

No keyrune, no guildmage, no charm, no planeswalker. I had a bomb in the 7 mana slot gruul ragebeast and the essential 8 slot Borborygmos Enraged!

I was very low on creatures and had to put together a "ragtag" simic/boros/Gruul deck where I activated battalion and evolve many times but went many games without every blood rushing anything.

I had two Boros Guildgates and one Prophetic Prism. So I took four white splash boros cards 2xBoros Charm, Truefire Paladin and Skyknight Legionnaire.

Had some little simic things like Experiment One and a few low cost ho hum battallion guys.

Somethings I discovered though Pit Fight is awesome. Obviously Ground Assault and Rubblehulk and Crocanura was probably my most stable creature.

I was actually REALLY mad that I went to the trouble of picking Gruul WITH a guildpack and there was no bloodrush...does that even make sense?? No matter how I fared today I wouldn't be able to get a feel for the guild or the mechanic...very disappointed, they could of at least supplied some cool support like the above mentioned, not to be seen uncommons...but anyways, it was what it was.

I faced off against my first opponent, apparently a Gruul mirror match.

But it turned out to be a Boros/Gruul blend with most of his good stuff coming from Boros, he ran multiple Wojek Halberdiers (one was foil) and this card is a real pain in the neck. He didn't have much bloodrush either it seemed. I would take some early damage and then stabalize with the croc and then start doing pit fights to keep him from getting battalion triggers until I could cast my fatties.

It went three games and i was lucky to finish him off in game three with a Spire Tracer bloodrushed Rubblehulk for 9 that he couldn't block.

In the second round I went against a Boros deck with Aurelia, the Warleader but he had some mana problems in game one and I attacked with a 3/3 Experiment One blood rushed it for +6+6 and then used [/c]Boros Charm[/c] to apply Double Strike! 18 damage on turn 6.

Game two we were pretty even with little guys and a bit of a board stall (no bloodrush to break the stall), I drew into my 6/6 make everybosy fight card to get ahead on the board and then played my "mountain-throwing Cyclops" who then began chucking land like lightning bolts and won in short order.

So I was 2-0 and technically in 1st place with tiebreakers and what not. I started thinking "Well I guess I'm just out-playing people. The cream rises to the top." Sort of self-motivating inner-dialogue junk. I started feeling better.

Next up was a pretty nice Simic deck.

My opponent had a hard time casting enough spells and I  able to win game one with Boros Charm to the grill.

Game two went back and forth but I ended up getting grinded down by Drakewing Krasis. I had used removal twice to get rid of a previous Simic Manipulator, he takes me down with a little too much attack damage.

Game three I mulligan and keep a six card hand that has two lands and two castables Prophetic Prism and Experiment One. I keep the ahand but get off to a slow start and miss my mana for a few turns.

The game turns into I attack on the ground he responds in the air. I try to swing for the win with a +8+8 bloodrushed,unblockable Spire Tracer which gets promptly turned into a 3/3 frog-Lizard! I get him to 2 life and have three draws to top deck one of two Boros Charms, but I just drew irrelevant small creatures and he took the match.

Round four saw me paired up against a 3-0 Orvhoz deck.

I lose the first game to a really nice curve with a ridiculous amount of extort and removal.

Second game he gets mana flooded and I win pretty quickly.

Game three I'm doing pretty well but fighting through SO much removal and extort!

I start the game with my 8-drop cyclops in hand and play a land from turn one to turn 7 but never get that eight land and the board tilts in his favor as one little flier coupled with casting ANYTHING for extort is enough to finish me off.

So I finish 2-2  with the matches being 2-1, 2-0, 1-2, 1-2

I played really well!

Three of the top four decks were Orzhov. The access to removal and extort along with good blocking and a bit of flying makes this guild tough to top, especially without getting to run a REAL Gruul deck.

I'll just have to assume, for now, that Gruul with bloodrush is pretty nuts as 4 of the top ten were in Gruul and mine missed it off top-decking essentially.

Dimir looked really fun, but probably much better in draft. Although I'm sure some people got god pools which must have been a lot of fun!

Boros didn't have a strong showing at our 37 man pre-release. No one in the top ten, very surprising.

Simic was a solid choice. It had 3 top ten decks.

There's plenty more to say so if anyone has questions just let me know.

bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
Sounds like you had fun even though the guild booster disappointed. I was in the same situation, playing Dimir but only ending up actually including 5 cards that had anything to do with Blue (and even then one of them was probably a mistake and perhaps I should splashed Boros instead, though my pool weren't impressive in red either) - ended up with a fine Orzhov deck, nothing spectacular. I went 3-4, ended up losing to three Boros decks, one of them with three (!) copies of Aurelia in it. I beat a couple of Orzhov and another Dimir. I only played against one green deck all day, opened a pretty bad pool (with far too little support in my chosen guild) and drew really bad. I'm happy there's another one sunday because I was honestly a little disappointed with this tournament.

The guy who went 7-0 had the most ridiculous Boros deck with double Firemane Avenger, a ton of two-drops and a couple of Skyknight Legionnaire and Boros Elite. It was insane to watch... One of the top players at the store literally said "if I opened that at a Pro Tour, I think I would faint". It was pretty disgusting.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
Sounds like you had fun even though the guild booster disappointed. I was in the same situation, playing Dimir but only ending up actually including 5 cards that had anything to do with Blue (and even then one of them was probably a mistake and perhaps I should splashed Boros instead, though my pool weren't impressive in red either) - ended up with a fine Orzhov deck, nothing spectacular. I went 3-4, ended up losing to three Boros decks, one of them with three (!) copies of Aurelia in it. I beat a couple of Orzhov and another Dimir. I only played against one green deck all day, opened a pretty bad pool (with far too little support in my chosen guild) and drew really bad. I'm happy there's another one sunday because I was honestly a little disappointed with this tournament.

The guy who went 7-0 had the most ridiculous Boros deck with double Firemane Avenger, a ton of two-drops and a couple of Skyknight Legionnaire and Boros Elite. It was insane to watch... One of the top players at the store literally said "if I opened that at a Pro Tour, I think I would faint". It was pretty disgusting.

I would have loved to have been able to actually play Gruul but I was VERY close to 4-0 with a goofy deck.

My friend played Dimir and had a decent pool. He lost a mirror match on the last turn of sudden death game three.

He beat another Dimir and lost to a Gruul and a Boros.

I saw someone get milled to death and a few people get milled for over 15 cards.

It seems Orzhov is very playable without any bombs. The commons and uncommons have really good synergy. It probably helped the result that three of the better players in our area had decent Orzhov decks. It's my guild so I'm excited to play it as well.

Sorry that your guildpack sounded as disapponting as mine. At least you're going to another release, we don't have one that I know of  =  (

Any fun combos that you were able to cipher? How did someone have three of the warleader??? That sounds beyond improbable. Considering I couldn't get a single in-guild uncommon...

bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
Cool!

I'm about 90 minutes away from opening the junk pool that I seem to get every pre-release.

I am also going Dimir.  I don't expect to do well, but hoping to have some fun. 

Any fun combos that you were able to cipher? How did someone have three of the warleader??? That sounds beyond improbable. Considering I couldn't get a single in-guild uncommon...

I got to Stolen Identity a Syndic of Tithes three times because I had an unblocked flier, ramping up extort every turn off the free spell. It was pretty brutal. I also perfectly played around a Smite in that game by killing his only flier (a measly 1/2 bat) with an Angelic Edict because he had left up instead of extorting.

He opened one in the guild pack and the two others (one of them foil) in a regular pack, as far as I know.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!

I got to Stolen Identity a Syndic of Tithes three times because I had an unblocked flier, ramping up extort every turn off the free spell. It was pretty brutal. I also perfectly played around a Smite in that game by killing his only flier (a measly 1/2 bat) with an Angelic Edict because he had left up instead of extorting.

He opened one in the guild pack and the two others (one of them foil) in a regular pack, as far as I know.

That sounds like a lot of fun!

My friend got the Call of the Nightwing on someone over and over again.

Played Gruul at the pre release to, similar situation only a few creatures ended up having bloodrush, completely the opposite of what I thought was going to happen. Splashed blue with my deck. I dont know if you had this problem, but I had almost no 1 or 2 drops in red or green so for the most part my deck did nothing till turn 3 and 4, sometimes it was too late.

Also Crocanura is a BEEEEAAAASSSSSTTTTTT 
Played Gruul at the pre release to, similar situation only a few creatures ended up having bloodrush, completely the opposite of what I thought was going to happen. Splashed blue with my deck. I dont know if you had this problem, but I had almost no 1 or 2 drops in red or green so for the most part my deck did nothing till turn 3 and 4, sometimes it was too late.

Actually I borrowed a lot of one and two drops from Simic and Boros. I was okay there. I just wish I could have had one Swine ro maybe two of those centaur common bloodrusher...throw a guy a few scraps at least! =  p

Thanks for writing this up!

I'll be going to work today instead of a prerelease. I did do a draft this morning as a compromise to not being able to go to a prerelease, and went 3-0 with a so-so blue/white fliers, first time in a long time I went 3-0, but reading this is even more exciting!

Actually I borrowed a lot of one and two drops from Simic and Boros. I was okay there. I just wish I could have had one Swine ro maybe two of those centaur common bloodrusher...throw a guy a few scraps at least! =  p

I had the crappy red guy as a 1 drop and another bad 2 drop that I did'nt play, might have been my downfall because most games I ended up playing an ember beast on turn 3 sometimes solo, by that time my opponent usually had 2-3 creatures, I was dissapointed by gruul in the end, but still had fun playing it.
Thanks for writing this up!

I'll be going to work today instead of a prerelease. I did do a draft this morning as a compromise to not being able to go to a prerelease, and went 3-0 with a so-so blue/white fliers, first time in a long time I went 3-0, but reading this is even more exciting!

No problem...I had fun writing it!

I had the crappy red guy as a 1 drop and another bad 2 drop that I did'nt play, might have been my downfall because most games I ended up playing an ember beast on turn 3 sometimes solo, by that time my opponent usually had 2-3 creatures, I was dissapointed by gruul in the end, but still had fun playing it.

It wasn't the guild's fault my friend...the cards are out there, they just didn't make it into our pools this time!
I thoroughly enjoyed your writeup, thanks.  Do you write fanfic?
Ye, but when I signed up for gruul I pictured this quick-midrange hyper aggro style deck that just attacked and always had a combat trick with lots of creatures and ridiculousness. And the end result was just not that hahaha
I thoroughly enjoyed your writeup, thanks.  Do you write fanfic?

Glad you enjoyed it!

I've never written fanfiction, no.

I write short stories and mostly poetry.

Swine is best as a 1-of, whereas Scab-Clan Charger is best as as many as you damn well can get. 

That 1 less cost for bloodrush is amazing, and it's easier to cast to boot (Doesn't take up any of your red mana for the turn, allowing you to do amazing things).  Yes, the power you get is less, but frankly I never once felt like my bloodrushers needed more power (As you should be using them as removal to begin with, and +2/+4 on most anything in gruul will allow you to safely kill most every creature you come across). 

Seriously, that one creature brought me further than I would have ever imagined, and won me games that I had no business winning.

Ye, but when I signed up for gruul I pictured this quick-midrange hyper aggro style deck that just attacked and always had a combat trick with lots of creatures and ridiculousness. And the end result was just not that hahaha

I was able to give mine the combat tricks I was running 2 Boros Charms, had the two bloodrush cards, had 2 Pit Fights, a Burst of Strength and Act of Treason.

Don't be too down...I'm still a big Gruul fan (even though Orzhov is technically MY guild).

I was able to give mine the combat tricks I was running 2 Boros Charms, had the two bloodrush cards, had 2 Pit Fights, a Burst of Strength and Act of Treason.

Don't be too down...I'm still a big Gruul fan (even though Orzhov is technically MY guild).

Man, what I wouldn't give for ONE Pit Fight and Charm.  Possibly could have carried me the game.  But no... I was stuck with 3 removal spells total.  *Grumble*
I went Simic, Junk or really unfortunate off color rares for me. The only rare I played was fathom mage.

Went 3-1 (2-1, 2-1, 2-0, 1-2)

Gotta say the keys to a gruul deck from being on the receiving end (my only match loss) are disciple of the old ways and spire tracers with support (madcap skills is a beast card that I underestimated. I thought it would be good, but not that good.)
3-3 with solid gruul build, Legion Loyalist was an all-star for me.
I went 2-4 as Gruul. :/ I pulled hardly any good stuff sadly, but I did notice a nice trick. [C]act of treason[/c] combied with pit fight is a great combo together. Steal their biggest guy, attack, then make him pit fight another of their guys netting you, usually, a clean(ish) board, having taken out their blockers.

Bloodrush is great in sealed due to the lack of counters in GtC. The problems against it are instant removal, however.

All in all, I was dissatisfied with my results but I did have a good time.
I went 3-2 playing Simic.  I really enjoyed the Simic deck but was completely overrun by two aggro decks.  I agree with others that Boros is probably the strongest out there and won our event (mainly thanks to Gideon).

My favourite play of the day was the almost game winning combo of Agoraphobia and Simic Manipulator.  Although it's obvious, what you do is shrink their guy, steal it with the manipulator and then return the agoraphobia to your hand.  Play it on their next creature and repeat.
I ran Dimir. It was a fun night of combo's. I had to splash in some orsov to fill out my deck lists but I figure that is just the nature of the beast when it comes to any kind of limited.

Funnily enough I pulled a metric butt ton of gruul cards and my girlfriend who was playing gruul pulled mostly dimir, so that worked out when we traded at home the next day.

I went 2:1 against boros 2:0 against Simic and and 0:2 against orsov (I didn't top deck any counters and he extorted me into the ground...) after that I had to drop cause my girlfriend had work in the morning and we only took the one car so that sucks.

But ciphering just about anything on an unblockable creature is fun. All the games win or loose came down to the wire due to a fairly high mana costs across most of the guilds it seems. Though that added to the fun for me. All in all a great time was had by all and I definately enjoyed myself.
I played in one today, went Simic guild, but ended up playing the exact opposite: a Boros/Orzhov mix. Thanks to two Boros Signets I actually didn't get color screwed in most games. The decks did very well, I went 3-1, with the 1 match loss due to a horrible misplay (forgetting about the special ability of the Guardian of the Gateless, whoops, won't make that mistake again!) The deck's success was due to good removal: Angelic Edict, 1000 Lashes, Homing Lightning, Massive Raid, Aurelia's Fury. Creatures of note were the Treasury Thrull, Court Street Denizen, Syndic of Tithes. Cartel Aristocrat turned out to be a great combo card with Act of Treason, as well as with Holy Mantle (protection from EVERYTHING!).

The actual Simic stuff was OK to crappy, despite having 2 Fathom Mages and a Prime Speaker Zegana. It was definitely fun to see my opponents confusion with the Simic guild box on the table. But, obviously disappointed to not actually get to play Simic. I was going to play Dimir tomorrow, but am hoping to try Simic again instead, hopefully this time to actually play blue/green.
Hey some advise for simic players from what I have noticed and done well with as I picked simic and tied for 1rst with 3 others  out of 30+ people(we didn't want to fight for the win, it was already 7 am the next day)

-Taking damage very to keep your monsters is comon, then using predators rapport to save yourself and comback is a great play. The card often gives 8+life
-Using hands of binding is very effective tapdown and great on a flyer if you have one
-If you have Miming slime USE IT wt combos extremly well with evolve and if you have the 6/2 out you will get a 6/6 which will win most games

I found that when I used my simic deck I beat the boros decks quite well due to gaining like 10 life and just having really powerful monsters.
I went 2-4 as Gruul. :/ I pulled hardly any good stuff sadly, but I did notice a nice trick. [C]act of treason[/c] combied with pit fight is a great combo together. Steal their biggest guy, attack, then make him pit fight another of their guys netting you, usually, a clean(ish) board, having taken out their blockers. Bloodrush is great in sealed due to the lack of counters in GtC. The problems against it are instant removal, however. All in all, I was dissatisfied with my results but I did have a good time.

Bloodrush can't be countered...you aren't casting a spell, you're merely discarding a card. Even if your opponent has 7 counterspells he can't use them.
I realize that now. I was super tired when I wrote my previous post. XD
Did Gruul, I also suffered from the last of early game presence, and lost 3 of 5 due to mana screwed.
 My guild pack was ok had a Pitfight. I pulled alot of mid to late game bombs including the gruul leader himself and 3 skargg golaiths [1 foiled, 1 out of guildpack, and 1 out of normal booster], but I also got  Stomping grounds. I liked my overall pulls just lacked in the early game fight, but was still fun.
2-3 was my record: 2 - 0 against gruul spalsh of W, 1-2 Naya[gruul + boros]. 1-2 Simic R splash, 2 - 1 Gruul, and 1-2 against Dmir
I went 2-4 as Gruul. :/ I pulled hardly any good stuff sadly, but I did notice a nice trick. [C]act of treason[/c] combied with pit fight is a great combo together. Steal their biggest guy, attack, then make him pit fight another of their guys netting you, usually, a clean(ish) board, having taken out their blockers. Bloodrush is great in sealed due to the lack of counters in GtC. The problems against it are instant removal, however. All in all, I was dissatisfied with my results but I did have a good time.

Bloodrush can't be countered...you aren't casting a spell, you're merely discarding a card. Even if your opponent has 7 counterspells he can't use them.

I think what are actually missing are unsummon effects.  We have it Simic Charm and then of course Aetherize, but that's about it. 

Gruul is the only guild that I did not go up against today.
4-2(9th) with orzhov splashing red, an orzhov player got first place with boros in second and it was mostly orzhov and boros at the top with I think one simic player. There were very few simic and dimir players at my prerelease, most players were orzhov or boros.
Opened a quality pool at my second prerelease and went 6-0 with Gruul splashing only a Firemane Avenger (off two Prisms and Plains) to take first place. My opponents ended 2nd, 3rd, 7th, 9th, 10th and 17th out of 45. And there was a Dimir in top 5 with a 5-1 record. I felt slightly vindicated after being trounced with a terrible pool at the big midnight prerelease.
Opened a quality pool at my second prerelease and went 6-0 with Gruul splashing only a Firemane Avenger (off two Prisms and Plains) to take first place. My opponents ended 2nd, 3rd, 7th, 9th, 10th and 17th out of 45. And there was a Dimir in top 5 with a 5-1 record. I felt slightly vindicated after being trounced with a terrible pool at the big midnight prerelease.

Well done!

Very jealous that you got to pound with Gruul.

Can i get your thoughts on the gameplay with bloodrush in hand, etc?

I felt really different playing with bloodrush and it didn't feel like aggro, it felt like I was a sneaky assassin.

Well done!

Very jealous that you got to pound with Gruul.

Can i get your thoughts on the gameplay with bloodrush in hand, etc?

I felt really different playing with bloodrush and it didn't feel like aggro, it felt like I was a sneaky assassin.

If your deck is aggressive enough, it is often right to use Bloodrush as burn if your opponent is tapped out. My deck had three spells at five or more mana, all with Bloodrush (Zhur-taa Swine and two Rubblehulks), so I played 16 lands (and two Prophetic Prisms, which fix and draw into lands), which felt perfect. I was lucky enough to open a total of four Slaughterhorn, which was ridiculous. Madcap Skills is really powerful and is a good reason to run one-drops like Spire Tracer (a radically under-evaluated card), especially if you have other "falter" effects (I had Gruul Charm, two Mugging and a Firefist Striker). Rubblebelt Raiders is completely ridiculous, especially with Crowned Ceratok (a card which by itself is really powerful with Bloodrush).

Oh and Firemane Avenger is about the sweetest splash you can make.
Not sure who was under-evaluating Spire Tracer....

Did you happen to read that I hit for 22 on turn 7 with a lone Spire Tracer on the board?

Bloodrushed RubbleHulk +7+7(8/8), bloodrushed Slaughterhorn +3+2(11/10), cast Boros Charm Double-strike!

The guy turned so beat red as he had attacked previous turn with Ruination Wurm and Zhur-Taa Swine to (almost) clear my board.

I really thought a table was about to be flipped.

It seems Orzhov is very playable without any bombs. The commons and uncommons have really good synergy. It probably helped the result that three of the better players in our area had decent Orzhov decks. It's my guild so I'm excited to play it as well.

I COMPLETELY agree!  I went Orzhov and had only Treasury Thrull (Promo) and Merciless Eviction as my rares that were on color.  But I had 4 Kingpin's Pet.  I would extort on average like 8-10 life every game!  I took first 1st going a perfect 6-0 with my deck and 2nd place also went Orzhov being a complete mirror as mine.  At first I thought I would go something like 4-2 since I heard some other decks pulled some crazy bombs and what not.  But you're right, I think Orzhov can be successful with just their commons and uncommons.

Oh and Court Street Denizen is a BEAST!

I have more details about my deck here.
I cast T1 Spire Tracer T2 Madcap Skills and dealt 20 damage with the creature in the process of the next 4-5 turns one game. It was a little ridiculous.
I'm very fearful of madcap skills. Is this as high as a 3.5 or 4.0 card? It seems very powerful.
I'm very fearful of madcap skills. Is this as high as a 3.5 or 4.0 card? It seems very powerful.

I would actually say closer to 3.0 to 3.5 on the current scale.  By itself its not going to win the games, and it's not quite as good as Stab Wound.  I can see myself first picking it only in rare, very poor, packs.  So yeah. 

I would actually say closer to 3.0 to 3.5 on the current scale.  By itself its not going to win the games, and it's not quite as good as Stab Wound.  I can see myself first picking it only in rare, very poor, packs.  So yeah. 

Wait, how high were you rating Stab Wound?

It was the best common but it's not a 4.0 by any means.

Check out the scale in my signature section.

You would agree with the definition that Stab Wound is an "Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. (ex. Collective Blessing)"?

It fits closely to the 3.5 definition.

I agree that Madcap Skills falls in 3.0=3.5 territory but in many decks is better than Stab Wound.

You would agree with the definition that Stab Wound is an "Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. (ex. Collective Blessing)"?

I agree that Madcap Skills falls in 3.0=3.5 territory but in many decks is better than Stab Wound.

Stab Wound is a solid 3.5, no higher.  It can be first-pickable in a mediocre pack, and it's a solid pick as well.  Further, I may splash specifically for stab wound, particularly if I am able to get multiples.  It's a versatile spell that functions as a bleed, slows your opponent down, and is removal for any of those pesky 2-power creatures (The guildmages in particular) in a pinch. 

Although Mad Skills is quite awesome, I can't really see myself splashing specifically for it much of the time.  The two easiest splash being Simic and Orzhov makes it a bit more difficult to justify.  Simic already has evasion up the wazoo, and can't really afford to risk screwing with the curve.  Orzhov actually could get some use out of it as they tend to draw the game out a tad longer it seems and will have the fixing for it.

That said, I will include *any* number of them that I can get my hands on in Gruul/Boros.  Its just that strong.  It's not a 1-of, it's not a 2-of, it's a "I will gladly take ever damn copy I can get, and throw it in my deck if its on color".  But I would rarely ever splash for it, and by itself won't sway me into Red.  I may even hate draft it in a weak pack, simply because I know it what it can do.  But I still find myself giving Stab Wound a slight edge.  Not sure what I would do if I were Rakdos, and I somehow found myself staring down the barrel of a Skills/Wound (Actually, I'd go for Skills in this situation as it plays better with Rakdos, but in a general B/R deck I don't know what I'd go for).

It comes down to Lockdown vs. Pure face beating, and generally I've found Lockdown is *usually* more effective.  Stab Wound is notable both for its lockdown ability *and* it provides a clock. Which is nice.

Stab Wound is a solid 3.5, no higher.  It can be first-pickable in a mediocre pack, and it's a solid pick as well.  Further, I may splash specifically for stab wound, particularly if I am able to get multiples.  It's a versatile spell that functions as a bleed, slows your opponent down, and is removal for any of those pesky 2-power creatures (The guildmages in particular) in a pinch. 

Although Mad Skills is quite awesome, I can't really see myself splashing specifically for it much of the time.  The two easiest splash being Simic and Orzhov makes it a bit more difficult to justify.  Simic already has evasion up the wazoo, and can't really afford to risk screwing with the curve.  Orzhov actually could get some use out of it as they tend to draw the game out a tad longer it seems and will have the fixing for it.

That said, I will include *any* number of them that I can get my hands on in Gruul/Boros.  Its just that strong.  It's not a 1-of, it's not a 2-of, it's a "I will gladly take ever damn copy I can get, and throw it in my deck if its on color".  But I would rarely ever splash for it, and by itself won't sway me into Red.  I may even hate draft it in a weak pack, simply because I know it what it can do.  But I still find myself giving Stab Wound a slight edge.  Not sure what I would do if I were Rakdos, and I somehow found myself staring down the barrel of a Skills/Wound (Actually, I'd go for Skills in this situation as it plays better with Rakdos, but in a general B/R deck I don't know what I'd go for).

It comes down to Lockdown vs. Pure face beating, and generally I've found Lockdown is *usually* more effective.  Stab Wound is notable both for its lockdown ability *and* it provides a clock. Which is nice.

Solid evaluation.

I would have to say that I would definitely splash two of these in Simic if I had appropriate mana-fixing.

Sign In to post comments