The most intriguing artwork

155 posts / 0 new
Last post
There were the threads about worst (here) and best (somewhere else) artworks. But (imho) the huge part of MtG charm is flavour. Not only the words in the bottom of the cards, but also the pictures. Some of them are just beautiful (or disgusting), but some of them are teliing some story (or even better - making you to imagine it on your own). 

I was inspired to think about that by Dimir Guildmage. May be in the tenth time, when I zoomed it in game process (it is very Dimir after all)), I spotted a shadow behind him. A shadow of some creature! Who (or what) is it? Is it friendly companioin or hostile pursuer? Why mage doesn't look at it (and also - why his face is so concentrated)?

And - when I've googled for bigger variant of Dimir Guildmage, I found this article about similar topic. I was delighted that it's author (someone from WoC, so this link is legal, I hope) even suggests that the mage even stole smth that glows in his hands.

So I thought - may be some cards also tell (or suggest) some stories to someone? Why is the whole city burning in the Chandra's Fury</a> (perhaps with innocent people in it)? Why Indrik Stomphowler is in a city, when all other PI creatures are in a forest? What is on the head of Goblin Arsonist? And so on.
Someone explain Disperse to me.
Someone explain Disperse to me.

Looks like an insectoid creature's body is getting disintegrated or Dispersed - if you will. Although the pallete is very green-heavy, the effect still resembles an unsummon spell.
I have no idea what they were thinking with the Indrik Stomphowler art.....
So I thought - may be some cards also tell (or suggest) some stories to someone? Why is the whole city burning in the Chandra's Fury</a> (perhaps with innocent people in it)? Why Indrik Stomphowler is in a city, when all other PI creatures are in a forest? What is on the head of Goblin Arsonist? And so on.

The city in the background of Chandra's Fury is a part of Ravinica that she went to to steal a map that showed the location of a powerful burn spell.  This story is told in a webcomic Fuel for the Fire.  Story told here: www.wizards.com/Magic/Multiverse/Article...

Indrik Stomphowler is in a city because it's a Ravinica card.  The entire planet that holds Ravinica is a city.  There are no forests there.  Even the forest cards from Ravinica are more like hanging gardens and city parks than real forests.

The Arsonist has a "hedron" on his head.  Its the same thing you see on Hedron Crab.  For an article that explains what the hedron are: wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/Eldrazi

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

Hey sixty, tell us where Child of Alara came from. Is it female or male? Who are the parents?
Also, back in magic 2012 and in this magic, there are some cards that supposely have some of the planeswalkers depicted in them. Is this true also in paper magic? Was it originally meant like that back when the card was 1st printed? Or they though about it now with the DoTP games?

Some cards I can think of are:
Finest Hour = Gideon.
Liliana's Caress = Gideon and Lilianna

I know I have seen others but can't remember them right now.
Hey sixty, tell us where Child of Alara came from. Is it female or male? Who are the parents?

Child of Alara is abomination!
Mother took the Water Of Life.

Vindicate it!!!!

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

Avatars do not have parents, however, I can see where that question would be raised since it is called the "Child."  A direct quote from the MTG Salvation Wiki states, "An Avatar is an aspect or projection of a larger power. Avatars are powerful beings, and while most Avatars are benevolent, many are considered to be evil."

The Child of Alara was the manifestation of the Conflux itself.  See, the Conflux was a period of time in Alara where the 5 seperated shards (each represtended by 3 colors of mana) merged together to form the, for lack of a better term, super plane of Alara.  During this time all five shards were coliding with each other causing massive devestation to the portion of the surface of each shard which slammed into the other 4 shards.  Basically only 1/5 of each original shard survived as the other 4/5 of each shard (my personal theory).  This is also explained partially in the flavor text for Maelstrom Pulse.  So, since 20/5 (4/5 of each plane X 5 planes) of the entire plane of existence was destroyed during the Conflux it could be described as a period of time of horrible devestation and destruction.  That's why the Child of Alara has the Nevinyrral's Disk ability.

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

I don't know what her problem is but I had to get a restraining order put on Somberwald Dryad.
Crazy bitch tried to drag me into some thorn bushes and **** me.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Another thing - I never could understand how light and dark are integrated in ED? GP - complicated church matters, it's pretty common. But it's hard to imagine Knights of Glory and Infamy working together. And Battlegrace Angel alongside Nefarox. And 3 copies of Angelic Benediction with 3 copies of Doom Blade?
Also, back in magic 2012 and in this magic, there are some cards that supposely have some of the planeswalkers depicted in them. Is this true also in paper magic? Was it originally meant like that back when the card was 1st printed? Or they though about it now with the DoTP games? Some cards I can think of are: Finest Hour = Gideon. Liliana's Caress = Gideon and Lilianna I know I have seen others but can't remember them right now.

As the main drivers of the storyline for M:tG Planeswalkers make apperances EVERYWHERE.  Yes, that's Gideon and Gideon and Lilianna.  Ajani was featered in a series of cards during the Alara block.  Soul's Might Soul's Fire Soul's Grace Soul's Majesty

You're a lose cannon.

Another thing - I never could understand how light and dark are integrated in ED? GP - complicated church matters, it's pretty common. But it's hard to imagine Knights of Glory and Infamy working together. And Battlegrace Angel alongside Nefarox. And 3 copies of Angelic Benediction with 3 copies of Doom Blade?

That's less storyline and just good deck building.

But for a reason as to how black and white actually work together, look to Orzhov from Ravinica.

Edit:  You wanna just go ahead and change the thread title from "most intriguing..."  to "Story Time with Uncle Sixty"

You're a lose cannon.

But for a reason as to how black and white actually work together, look to Orzhov from Ravinica.

I understand about Orzhov) Just couldn't fid anything about Nefarox and stuff)

Edit:  You wanna just go ahead and change the thread title from "most intriguing..."  to "Story Time with Uncle Sixty"

I'd like to, but it so appears that it's no option to do so. I think that I can change the title only when there is only one post in a thread.

I understand about Orzhov) Just couldn't fid anything about Nefarox and stuff)

I'd like to, but it so appears that it's no option to do so. I think that I can change the title only when there is only one post in a thread.

I was just joking about the thread title. 

When it comes to building decks, you really have to throw any sense of flavor out the window most of the time.  Well, that is, if you want to build good decks.  Flavor decks are fun to dick around with but more often than not aren't going to be winning against decks that just look for the right cards for the job. 

Sometimes when WotC makes cards they really stretch what would be considered flavor.  For example; Kaalia of the Vast.  Here's the story behind Kaalia:

Kaalia of the Vast sits within her mountain chapel pondering both the heavenly host and the infernal horde, tormented by her past, scarred by devastation. Her once-simple life as a cleric was reduced to ashes when shadowy beings massacred her congregation. Somehow she survived, but her soul was fractured, and a growing hatred soon grew in the cracks. Now, driven by a righteous fury and an unholy thirst for revenge, Kaalia broods feverishly, amassing her vast power, waiting to unleash her apocalyptic might upon any who stand in her way.

First off, that doesn't even explain the Dragons portion of her ability.  And it barely address the Demon aspect, and in a VERY weak way anyways.  I do love the use of "shadowy beings" in the second sentence.  It's too ambiguous if you give it thought, but if all you do is read the paragraph once and move on, then it sounds cool.

You're a lose cannon.

Hey, someone bring the marshmellows and the beer, I will get the bonfire going.

I wish there was a place where I could find the art for the DoTP cards, cuz if you try to find Future Sight you get the old paper graphic, not the new one. I want the new one for a tattoo
Woaw kaalia is sick!!!!! Where do you find all this info sixty?
I've always really dug deeply established alternate universes, and have wanted to get into MtG's stories for some time now. This thread is quite interesting. Thanks 64.5.

On the original topic, I really like the art for Wilt-Leaf Liege. Very surreal feel to it, which I dig.
Close your eyes. Fly away. In the land where dreams, all are true. IMAGE(http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/distilledpoizn/StupidJefferson.jpg)
Thanks 64.5.

Show

I just noticed that Prince of Thralls is the only prince in all of magic, so who is he? Why is he the only one?
I just noticed that Prince of Thralls is the only prince in all of magic, so who is he? Why is he the only one?

Similarly, Princess Lucrezia is the only princess.
Close your eyes. Fly away. In the land where dreams, all are true. IMAGE(http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/distilledpoizn/StupidJefferson.jpg)
Woaw kaalia is sick!!!!! Where do you find all this info sixty?

I used to read M:tG's internet magazine a lot.  On it, there is a weekly feature which delves into Flavor.  Here's the article I quoted when I posted Kaalia's story line: www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...

Since I don't play Standard anymore I don't read the magazine anymore, but I still know how to find the Flavor articles when I need them.

Also, a lot of the information (like the Child of Alara info I posted earlier) can be found on MTGSalvation's Wiki.  Honestly the easiest way to find out the story behind a card is to google "[Card Name] Wiki" and one of the top 5 articles should be MTGSalvationwiki, if it isn't on the first page, then there probably isn't any story behind the card.   Example; Telemin Performance.  First off, WTF is a Telemin?  It looks like an blindfolded angel (I know I've seen that figure on another card) pulling some sort of Esper-esque artifact creature out of thin air.  But there really isn't anything "Vorthosian" behind that card. 

You're a lose cannon.

Telemin Performance?
Wasn't Lance Armstrong using that?

Show

Something I have always wondered is why Mutilate is called that? The image shows the guys melting, not being chopped off.
Something I have always wondered is why Mutilate is called that? The image shows the guys melting, not being chopped off.

Mutilation does not necessarily require cutting.
First off, WTF is a Telemin?  It looks like an blindfolded angel (I know I've seen that figure on another card) pulling some sort of Esper-esque artifact creature out of thin air.  But there really isn't anything "Vorthosian" behind that card. 

Yes, there isn't much data.

I could find only the short note here "Telemin are Esperian (mind-controlled servants or something)" and the phrase here "On Esper, the Seekers of Carmot, under orders from Nicol Bolas delivered via Sarkhan, confront a lighthouse operator and force him to act as a Telemin. The mind-controlled lighthouse operator dives into the ocean and activates the Obelisk of Esper".

It doesn't get any better on the artwork for the other versions either:

gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details....

That's Braids, but why are her fingers melting into her face?  She wouldn't be mutilating herself, would she?

gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details....

Is another version of Lilianna's personal Mutilate spell.  It looks more like it should be Tendrils of Corruption though.

Even if you use the definition of mutilate; The irreparable removal of limbs, I still don't get it.  And that definition doesn't really fit since the effect wears off at the end of the turn, so any creature that survives, is not mutilated.

You're a lose cannon.

I have another question - who are all these Chancellors and Lieges and are they connected somehow?
This is the funniest flavor text
Raging Goblin
Flavor Text:
He raged at the world, at his family, at his life. But mostly he just raged.

He is so full of rage, He should had been like a 10/10 with haste and unlimited undying lol
This is the funniest flavor text Raging Goblin Flavor Text: He raged at the world, at his family, at his life. But mostly he just raged. He is so full of rage, He should had been like a 10/10 with haste and unlimited undying lol

I think that mainly he is enraged by humself) After all - he is only 1/1 in a society where power rules) I guess that the flavour of Clickslither may be about him. So he grab his axe and run, run as far as he can... It's rather sad, really(
Yeah, that makes sense. Poor fella is angry at all the OP creatures and he is only a 1/1. I guess the goblins' power lies in numbers and not in just 1 creature.
I have another question - who are all these Chancellors and Lieges and are they connected somehow?

Absolutely they are.  WotC will often do what they call "Cycles" of a type of card.  They do this in every set.  They'll do it with instants, soceries, and creatures a lot.  There is evidence of this in MM with the Charms.  There is also an Esper Charm and Grixis Charm representing the other two Shards of Alara. 

The Lieges are tied to the Lorwyn block.  Lorwyn was a Dual Color block (which was kinda silly since Ravinica was only 2 years earlier and it was a Dual Color block as well).  It was also the block that introduced Planeswalkers, and, above all else (because it's relevant to your question) Hybrid Mana.  Each color combonation (thru the three sets released during Lorwyn) eventually got their dual colored Liege.  They're kind of supposed to represent unnamed leaders of the people/creatures that are coverd under those color combonations.  They liked the whole 1 color gets +1/+1 and another gets +1/+1 so they decided to give it to each color combo under a cycle.  Typically these cycles will not include creatures, spells, items that are necissary to the story, but are still cool and evoke an overall feel of unity or insipiration of their slice of the color pie.

The same goes for the Chancellors of New Phyrexia.  It was just a cool ability (if the card's in your opening hand, reveal, and get a small bonus) that they felt could easily be provided to each color.  The Chancellors represent unnamed leaders for the people/creatures in their faction/color in Phyrexia.  Like most creatures without a proper name there really isn't much story behind them. 

You're a lose cannon.

I really like the chancellors, too bad they only included the blue one cuz every color has one, I think.

I also do wish to see the praetors in 2014, cuz I didn't even get to play with them in MtGO due to being too expensive.
You have Chancellor of the Forge in the game
You have Chancellor of the Forge in the game

He's talking about these:  www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...

You're a lose cannon.

No, he was talking about only the blue chancellor being in the game. And the praetors are also in the game, but only in a challenge
God damn!!!!'

They look so sick, I want them all!!!!!!!!!!
Yes there is 1 other chancellor, there are still 3 missing.

And I want to play with the praetor cards.
Yes there is 1 other chancellor, there are still 3 missing. And I want to play with the praetor cards.

There's a challenge (the most flexible challenge in the game actually) that lets you try to win the game in five unique ways having five solutions, one for each praetor. 

That's about as close as you get with this game.

You're a lose cannon.

Yeah I know about the challenge, I am just wishing that they would add the more iconic cards that magic has on the next DoTP. Like the praetors, chancellors, phyrexians, and ELVES!!!!!
Yeah I know about the challenge, I am just wishing that they would add the more iconic cards that magic has on the next DoTP. Like the praetors, chancellors, phyrexians, and ELVES!!!!!

Definitely Elves.

Yeva's deck could have had an alternate Elf build if they had only given it one more copy of Jorga Warcaller and Overrun.  2 Cards away from being a really good elf deck, but with only having 1 of each, I found it just wasn't consistent enough, and all the 1/1, 2/1 and 2/2 elves just aren't enough by themselves. 

You're a lose cannon.