EDH Question

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
if i have an all while commander deck can i play with
Elbrus, the Binding Blade and transform it even though it turns into a black creature?
if i have an all while commander deck can i play with
Elbrus, the Binding Blade and transform it even though it turns into a black creature?

A white commander, you mean? Then no, you can't play Elbrus, the Binding Blade.
The Color Identity rule checks both sides of a double-side card, including their color indicator (the black dot before "legendary" that makes Withengar Unbound black). So the double-faced Elbrus/Withengar card has a color identity of black, and can't be included in a deck with a mono-white commander.

903.4. The Commander variant uses color identity to determine what cards can be in a deck with a certain commander. The color identity of a card is the color or colors of any mana symbols in that card's mana cost or rules text, plus any colors defined by its characteristic-defining abilities (see rule 604.3) or color indicator (see rule 204).

903.4c. The back face of a double-faced card (see rule 711) is included when determining a card's color identity.

[<o>]
Nope, unfortunately.  "Color identity" is taken into account when building a commander deck:

903.4. The Commander variant uses color identity to determine what cards can be in a deck with a
certain commander. The color identity of a card is the color or colors of any mana symbols in that
card’s mana cost or rules text, plus any colors defined by its characteristic-defining abilities (see
rule 604.3) or color indicator (see rule 204).

And, regarding double-faced cards:

903.4c The back face of a double-faced card (see rule 711) is included when determining a card’s
color identity

Elbus, the Binding Blade's back face has black in its color identity, due to its color indicator -- making it a legal choice only if your commander's color identity is at least partially black. 
oddly, you can include a Belfry Spirit though

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

You can also include Knight of Obligation, at least for now. I know that particular loophole has caused some anger among certain players.
Rules Advisor
Sign In to post comments