Who Let The Rats Out?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Got bored. Made a Relentless Rats/Rat deck. This deck is built to be mid-late game so I can build up my rats then give them fear then swing for the win. By the way, I really want to keep Liliana of the Dark Realms but does it fit in well enough? And what mid-late game noncreautre removal does black have? Duress is more early game. 

Creatures: 24

Spells: 13
[deck]
2 Coat of Arms
4 Dark Ritual
3 Phyrexian Arena
4 Victim of the Night
[/deck]
Land: 23
[deck]
3 Swarmyard
18 Swamp
2 Urborg, Tomb of the Yawgmoth 
[/deck]

Dude! Please Learn How to Autocard!
To Autocard individual cards type [c*]Into the Maw of Hell[/c*] and remove the asterisks to get Into the Maw of Hell or Stuffy Doll. Ta-Da! Autocarded! When Autocarding a deck type: Yay! Now people are actually look at your decklist properly and help you improve it! Excellent! You can tell that I love exclamation marks!
Basics to Building a Solid Deck
1. Try to run playsets of cards (meaning 4 of a card). This way your deck will win more consistently and you will draw your better cards more often. 2. Make sure to focus your deck on one single idea that can win you the game and make sure all the cards in your deck contribute to that idea. You have a limited number of cards so make sure all of them count. For example, your deck could be a Elf Tribal deck, an Aggro aggressive deck or maybe a Control deck. 3. Card advantage is very important. You need to understand that cards the draw you more cards are extremely helpful. The more cards you have in your hand the more options you have. With more options you have a greater chance at winning the game. 4. Removal is also quite important. Most decks more or less should run at least some removal. 5. Last but not least, make sure your deck is exactly 60 cards! Even 61 is not acceptable. Good luck in deck building!
Do you guys hate rats or something?
To Autocard individual cards type [c*]Into the Maw of Hell[/c*] and remove the asterisks to get Into the Maw of Hell or Stuffy Doll. Ta-Da! Autocarded! When Autocarding a deck type: Yay! Now people are actually look at your decklist properly and help you improve it! Excellent! You can tell that I love exclamation marks!
1. Try to run playsets of cards (meaning 4 of a card). This way your deck will win more consistently and you will draw your better cards more often. 2. Make sure to focus your deck on one single idea that can win you the game and make sure all the cards in your deck contribute to that idea. You have a limited number of cards so make sure all of them count. For example, your deck could be a Elf Tribal deck, an Aggro aggressive deck or maybe a Control deck. 3. Card advantage is very important. You need to understand that cards the draw you more cards are extremely helpful. The more cards you have in your hand the more options you have. With more options you have a greater chance at winning the game. 4. Removal is also quite important. Most decks more or less should run at least some removal. 5. Last but not least, make sure your deck is exactly 60 cards! Even 61 is not acceptable. Good luck in deck building!
#1 Problem is you have 15 Relentless Rats cards, and as far as I know, you are allowed only 4 cars of the same name in your deck, even if they are of different expansions and what not.
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
BROOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! READ THE CARDDDDDDD!!!!! EVER HEARD OF Relentless Rats BEFORE!!!!!! I'm sorry but please read the card it says specifically: "A deck can have any number of cards named Relentless Rats". Please don't take this comment as an offensive gesture. I would like your opinion.
... sorry, never heard of that card before. I thought that was flavor text, just from where the last ability was placed. Probably because I'm new.

Well, this may just be a "me" thing, but I think maybe you should have a short range plan just to allow your rats to be sent out. You DO have some 2 man costs, but you only have a 1-in-30 chance of drawing either. Dark Ritual might help, but your odds of getting of of them are 1-in-15. Relentless Rats? 1-in-4. That means 25% of your cards are going to be the same card. There is also a trump card to your whole deck:

[C]Slaughter Games[/C]

But aside from that, I see little wrong in your deck. My main recomendation is maybe take out 5 Relentless Rats and throw in some more 1 and 2 mana cost creatures to serve as a wall while your rats build.
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
Yeah thanks, I might get more pack rat or Typhoid Rats. Oh I forgot to add witchbane orb to the deck list, since it can counter that weakness of relentless rat decks. Btw, take a look at ratcatcher, is it worth making room for? and is Liliana of the dark realms worth it in this deck? Sorry about all the questions but what good noncreature removal is there for black? Besides Duress.

Edit: is it worth splashing in blue just for mindlock orb?  
Updated the deck. Added some cheaper rats. I really like Kuro's Taken since it works magically with ogre slumlord to block with deathtouch then regen. Only problem right now is that with only 10 relentless rats I don't think it really works anymore. 

Creatures: 25

Spells: 14
[deck]
2 Coat of Arms
2 Witchbane Orb
4 Dark Ritual
2 Phyrexian Arena
3 Victim of the Night
[/deck]
Land: 23
[deck]
3 Swarmyard
18 Swamp
2 Urborg, Tomb of the Yawgmoth
[/deck]

I'm actually thinking of making a Blue/Black relentless rats copy deck with mindlock orb, rite of replication and followed footsteps if this deck dosent work out. Get back you guys later.
The thing with Relentless Rats is that, typically, it works best as either a whole deck, or not really at all. The most common Relentless Rats decklist we see around is, no kidding,

~34 Relentless Rats
4 Thrumming Stone
22 Swamp

Pack Rat builds are a lot more diverse though, and I find enjoyable.

The main issues here are that you have a lot of 5 drops (8), though your overall curve isn't too bad. Most of the card selection is fine, though if you have access to them I'd recommend Go for the Throat over Victim of Night - it should hit marginally more targets. Witchbane Orb is a card that you'd probably look at only depending on your meta - if people play critical spells that target a player, take it - otherwise, you don't really need to use the slot on a card that might be dead in most games.

Can always consider Thornbite Staff (or any other card that lets you untap a creature whenever a creature hits the graveyard) for the infinite rats combo with Marrow-Gnawer. Also, Ravenous Rats is a pretty decent 2 drop - card advantage, and a rat body. 
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
Yeah, my friend has got the whole thrumming stone relentless rats thing but i wanted to make one  that was more rat tribal. I've decided to cut relentless rats and make it a rat tribal discard deck. 
Nevermind guys, I'm ditching the idea. A rat tribal would be nice or i could make a rat discard deck with patron of the Nezumi, okiba-gang shinobi, Locust Miser and what not; but the past couple of decks ive made were all black and i want to move to some other colors for now. I really like the idea and you guys can make that deck you if you want. 
Sign In to post comments