Martial Damage Dice: Too Much at High Levels?

Hey all, just reveiwing playtest material and...is it just me, or do martial damage dice just seem ridiculously high at higher levels? I like the idea of faster battles and all, but it seems like monster hit points don't scale with PC damage output enough to make a fight, you know, last for more than a couple of rounds. What I want are multiple rounds but with each round moving faster. To me, that creates a more action-packed, cinematic game. 

The idea I have to combat that is to put a cap on the number of dice you can add to a damage roll. Say at levels 5, 7, and 9 you can add a max of 1 die less than your total bonus dice to a damage roll. Now, you can opt to roll all of them, but you then take the 2/3/4 highest. Cap the bonus added to damage rolls at 4 dice at levels after 9. That would force fighters to, you know, actually use their cool maneuvers rather than simply dump all their dice into damage.

Thoughts, anyone?
I would like MDD as your weapon is, and less of them.

And I would like the dull, unnecessary Martial Damage Bonus replaced with extra attacks. 
Yeah, I would like to see MDD as weapon damage dice too. And how about instead of combat surge a maneuver that lets you dump, say, 3 dice to make an addtional attack on your turn? 
Yeah, I would like to see MDD as weapon damage dice too. And how about instead of combat surge a maneuver that lets you dump, say, 3 dice to make an addtional attack on your turn? 

Or, be able to swap a MDD for an extra attack every turn.
Yes, the martial damage in this packet is way overboard, and needs to be drastically reduced.

I think they should merge skill dice and martial dice, such as by giving fighter-types an ability that lets them add their skill die to damage or use it for other maneuvers.

The devs have already told they'll be reducing martial damage. 
I would like MDD as your weapon is, and less of them.

And I would like the dull, unnecessary Martial Damage Bonus replaced with extra attacks. 

+1
Try radiance RPG. A complete D20 game that supports fantasy and steampunk. Download the FREE PDF here: http://www.radiancerpg.com
The devs have already told they'll be reducing martial damage. 

Martial Damage Dice, Martial Damage Bonus, or both?

Did they mention weapon-based extra damage? 
As long as they intend to rework martial damage dice to use the weapon's dice, then we're really just one step removed from simply giving back extra attacks to the fighters. thought process is going full circle
Try radiance RPG. A complete D20 game that supports fantasy and steampunk. Download the FREE PDF here: http://www.radiancerpg.com

Not that, then Flurry of Blows is useless.
I do admit, I like the thought of keeping extra dice of weapon damage and being able to trade those off for extra effects from maneuvers, and I like the idea of dropping extra dice (more than one) for multiple attacks. That way you can work on taking down a "sure hit" faster, or hedge your bets and make multiple attacks in hopes of hitting a "hard target." That just seems to be more flexible and fun than spamming multiple basic attacks. 

Not that, then Flurry of Blows is useless.

I'd like to be able to trade Flurry of Blows for extra damage/effects on a single attack.
I want to see MDD for the purpose of damage be reduced to 3d6 and instead martial classes receive encounter powers to be able to do bursts of damage without spamming that burst of damage every round. MDD is designed for martial characters to keep up with casters. However, casters run out of spells. Martial Characters continue to do attacks that blow up buildings every round.
Sign In to post comments