Evolve

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
To make sure I understand the ability properly. Does evolve match power and toughness to determine if the creature will get a +1/+1 counter, or does it evolve if a creature enters the battlefied under your control that has either a higher toughness or power when compared to either value.

Ex, would a 1/4 evolve trigger off you playing a  1/2 because it has a higher toughness than the evolve creature's power?
To make sure I understand the ability properly. Does evolve match power and toughness to determine if the creature will get a +1/+1 counter, or does it evolve if a creature enters the battlefied under your control that has either a higher toughness or power when compared to either value.

Ex, would a 1/4 evolve trigger of you playing a  1/2because it has a higher toughness than the evolve creature's power?

If you have a 1/2 with evolve it will trigger for a 1/4 entering the battlefield.  Only one stat needs to be bigger, not both.

Ex, would a 1/4 evolve trigger of you playing a  1/2because it has a higher toughness than the evolve creature's power?

If you have a 1/2 with evolve it will trigger for a 1/4 entering the battlefield.  Only one stat needs to be bigger, not both.

I meant a 1/4 with evolve and a 1/2 entering the battlefield.

I know it doesn't need to be both. I'm just not sure if values are compared power vs power and toughness vs toughness or either.

I know it doesn't need to be both. I'm just not sure if values are compared power vs power and toughness vs toughness or either.

That won't trigger.  In that case neither stat is bigger.  The creature entering needs to have either power or toughness bigger than the one on the battlefield.

Here's the rule from the FAQ:

702.98a Evolve is a triggered ability. “Evolve” means “Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, if that creature’s power is greater than this creature’s power and/or that creature’s toughness is greater than this creature’s toughness, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature.”

That won't trigger.  In that case neither stat is bigger.  The creature entering needs to have either power or toughness bigger than the one on the battlefield.

Here's the rule from the FAQ:

702.98a Evolve is a triggered ability. “Evolve” means “Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, if that creature’s power is greater than this creature’s power and/or that creature’s toughness is greater than this creature’s toughness, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature.”

Cool, thanks.