Am I understanding this interaction right? (Gideon + Stolen Identity)

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
OK, so let's say my opponent controls Gideon, Champion of Justice. They activate his second ability, turning Gideon into a Planeswalker Creature — Gideon Human Soldier.

I control Hypersonic Dragon, which allows me to cast Stolen Identity targeting Gideon. I then get a token that says Planeswalker — Gideon on the typeline and has four loyalty counters. After that, I encode Stolen Identity on Hypersonic Dragon.

Since the opponent's Gideon is still a planeswalker with the subtype Gideon, both my token and his card are put into the graveyard. Then on my turn, when Hypersonic Dragon deals combat damage to the opponent, I can cast a copy of Stolen Identity, but since its target (Gideon, Champion of Justice) is no longer on the battlefield, nothing happens.

Is all that correct?

I control Hypersonic Dragon, which allows me to cast Stolen Identity targeting Gideon. I then get a token that says Planeswalker — Gideon on the typeline and has four loyalty counters. After that, I encode Stolen Identity on Hypersonic Dragon.

Since the opponent's Gideon is still a planeswalker with the subtype Gideon, both my token and his card are put into the graveyard. Then on my turn, when Hypersonic Dragon deals combat damage to the opponent, I can cast a copy of Stolen Identity

Correct up until here
but since its target (Gideon, Champion of Justice) is no longer on the battlefield, nothing happens.

The new stolen identity does not have to target the same thing that the original one targetted (in fact, in this situation it can't). You'll pick a legal target for the spell (eg, hypersonic dragon), and create a copy of that. 

If there are no legal targets, then you can't cast the copy of the spell and nothing happens.

almost correct

in your turn you get to choose another target for Stolen Identity and cast it
it doesn't remember what it was cast initially
proud member of the 2011 community team
It's mostly correct until the end. When you play the encoded spell, you choose a legal target for it. It doesn't target what the original spell targeted. So when the Dragon deals combat damage and you get a copy of the Identity, you choose a target creature or artifact. Gideon isn't a legal target, since it's no longer on the battlefield, but you can choose any target artifact or creature on the battlefield to get a copy of.

Wizards.Com Boards Net Rep

DCI Level 2 Judge

Questions don't have to make sense, but answers do.

Sign In to post comments