[Contest] General Mayhem: You Remake the Legend - Rubinia Soulsinger

33 posts / 0 new
Last post

General Mayhem : You Remake the Legend

FirstTurnKill turns in a whopper for the whopper from Legends, Dakkon Blackblade. It's spicy, it's juicy, and flame broiled with Vindicates on demand! He got a 10 out of 10 for his design, but Elzaban, slayer of contests notably did not enter. Will he return with a vengeance? Will FTK double down on wins? Or will someone from the shadows come in and swipe the victory?

For those of you just tuning in: I'm doing this challenge/contest to redesign Legends legends. I have the full 55-name list and I'll be choosing one at random for each contest. I want to see what YOU, the YMTC community, can do with the stories and flavor of these legends. This contest will (presumably) run as one-of contests going through as many of the 55 as we can before folks get bored. So far so good, so here we go!

Without further ado:

Rubinia Soulsinger

She's got a powerful ability and a hauntingly beautiful picture. The original Control Magic on a stick is due for an encore performance. Her ability never stuck to very much, feeling more mono . What's funny is that she was originally called Titania. How will you YMTCers craft a benevolent fairy godess of the woods and make her feel like she belongs in all three colors? We'll see! Good luck! 

Rules of the Road:

1. Contest is open from now until 48 hours later.

2. I'll be grading these super-quick on a 1-10 scale.

3. The redesigns should be legendary creatures made with fun gameplay at the forefront and with Commander in mind.

4. The card has to have a new name (think Kamahl, Pit Fighter and Kamahl, Fist of Krosa).

5. Stats and mana cost are up to you, but preference will be given to entries whose mana cost, creature types, and p/t stick as close as comfortable to the originals.

6. I know there've been a number of similar contests in the past, so please try to submit something new. Honor system!

7. No Planeswalkers, please! I know Nicol Bolas ascended, but we're keeping Dakkon and the rest of the Elder Dragons rooted on the ground.

Previous contests:

1. Lady Caleria - winner: turnip_song

2. Palladia-Mors - winner: vlord

3. Tuknir Deathlock - winner: Elzaban_the_Ethereal

4. Arcades Sabboth - winner: selims1693

5. Halfdane - winner: Elzaban_the_Ethereal

6. Ur-Drago - winner: Elzaban_the_Ethereal

7. Dakkon Blackblade - winner: FirstTurnKill

My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
Rubinia Soulsinger
Legendary Creature - Faerie
Flying
If a creature would deal damage to ~, prevent that damage. Gain control of that creature for a number of turns equal to the damage prevented this way. (Note it with counters.)
If a noncreature source would deal damage to ~, prevent that damage. Gain control of that source's controller during his or her next turn.
1/4

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Empress Soulsinger UR2
Legendary Creature- Faerie Wizard

2UR: Counter target spell. Empress Soulsinger deals damage to that spell's controller equal to its converted mana cost.

2/4
"There are no secrets in my realm and any attempt to hide such knowledge will cost you dearly."

IMAGE(http://imageshack.us/a/img834/8712/empresssoulsinger.jpg) Uploaded with ImageShack.us' alt='IMAGE(IMAGE(http://imageshack.us/a/img834/8712/empresssoulsinger.jpg) Uploaded with ImageShack.us)' />
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Rubinia Songstitcher

Legendary Creature - Faerie Wizard
Flying
: Put a verse counter on target creature, then gain control of it if the number of verse counters on it equal to or greater than its power.
Those who hear her song may never leave her domain
2/3

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

Rubinia, Soulsinger -
Legendary Creature - Faerie Mystic
Flying
:gwm::gwm:, exile a creature card from your graveyard: Put a +1/+1 counter on ~ and target creature.
"Rest now, gentle soul, and let us be strengthened by your grace."
2/3 
=================

I know the change to the name is only minor, but I felt that the changing of "Soulsinger" from a surname into a title took the character into an entirely different direction and feel.
Let's do this.

Rubinia, Thrallspeaker
Legendary Creature - Faerie M
Flying, vigilance
: Gain control of another target creature until you activate this ability again. As long as you control it and Rubinia, Thrallspeaker, it has trample, and Rubinia is the source of all damage it deals. (For example, if she has lifelink, it causes you to gain that much life. If she has deathtouch, any amount is lethal damage.)
2/3

(If she's a commander, it counts as commander damage dealt by her. Bit too format-specific to put on the card as reminder text.)
Rubinia, Soul Mimic
You may have Rubinia, Soul Mimic enter the battlefield as a copy of any creature on the battlefield except it gains "Creatures with the same name as ~ get +1/+1." If you do, gain control of each creature with the same name as the copied creature.
A queen to the end, her best prank was her last.
0/0

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
Rubina, Soulsnarer

Legendary Creature-Faerie
Flash, flying
When Rubina, Soulsnarer enters the battlefield untap and gain control of another target creature for as long as Rubina, Soulsnarer remains on the battlefield under your control. Put a snare counter on that creature.
Whenever Rubina, Soulsnarer becomes the target of a spell or ability you may redirect that spell or ability to a creature you control with a snare counter on it.
When Rubina Soulsnarer would die, you may sacrifice a creature you control with a snare counter on it instead.
3/3     
Rubina, Muse of Soul
~ enters the battlefield with verse counters equal to the number of lands you control.
Flying
: Move a verse counter onto target creature with converted mana cost x. As long as that creature has a verse counter on it, you control it.
: Move all verse counters on each other creature onto ~. You gain life equal to the number of counters moved this way. Activate this ability only if ~ has no verse counters on it.
2/4
Rubinia Dreamweaver
Legendary Creature- Faerie
Vigilance
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a dream counter on ~.
: Gain control of target creature with power less than or equal to the number of dream counters on ~.
A song of war. A dream of peace.
2/3

: Gain control of another target creature until you activate this ability again.

Are you serious. I was certain that I wouldn't need to fear anyone else doing this, so I delayed entering.

;_;

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Enchanting Rubinia | :G::W::U::U:
Enchanting Rubinia enters the battlefield tapped.
Enchanting Rubinia doesn't untap during your untap step.
Whenever you cast an enchantment spell, gain control of target creature an opponent controls for as long as you control Enchanting Rubinia and Enchanting Rubinia remains tapped.
"The Song, the SongI'd betray my lord just to hear her song one more time!" 
3/4
My Commander decks! http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29942477/Endrek_Sahr,_Master_of_Disaster http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29942329/*Rumbling_Stomach_Noises*_Guildpact_Borborygmos_Deck
One word for you: IMPRINT

Rubinia, Phyrexian Duplicant
Legendary Creature-Faerie Shapeshifter
Flash, haste
Imprint—, : Exile target creature card from a graveyard (The exiled card is imprinted on this creature).
Rubinia's power and toughness are equal to the combined power and toughness of all cards exiled with it.
Rubinia has all abilities of a card exiled with it.
*/*

I know haste is offpie for green-blue-white, but this card was offpie to begin with.  I needed to give it haste because you have to imprint it the turn it enters the battlefield.  Note that the CMC of Rubinia, Phyrexian Duplicant plus the extra for imprinting equals the CMC of Rubinia Soulsinger. 

It's hard to challenge the seasinger
Rubina Soulsweller

Legendary Creature-Faerie
: Gain control of target creature with power greater than Rubina Soulsweller.
: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.
"You are more than me, my darling. But we too can be more as one."
3/4 

: Gain control of another target creature until you activate this ability again.

Are you serious. I was certain that I wouldn't need to fear anyone else doing this, so I delayed entering.

;_;

He does that sometimes. He has won 3 of these so far. That's almost half of them.
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
It's hard to challenge the seasinger

You are correct. But you're welcome to try!
Echo Singer creature minotaur human bird
Tap a wall or barrier you control:
  Untap and take control of taget attacking creature to end of turn.
1/4
Rubinia Peacemaker      

Legendary Creature -  Faerie

Flying
You may choose not to untap Rubinia Peacemaker during your untap step.
:T:: Gain control of target creature attacking you or a planeswalker you control and remove it from combat, for as long as you control Rubinia and Rubinia remains tapped.
:T:: Prevent all combat damage that would be dealt for as long as you control Rubinia and Rubinia remains tapped.
:Gm::Um:: Untap Rubinia Peacemaker.

No one raise swords when she sings.

1/2

This card would surely be lots of fun in multiplayer......
Rubinia Soulstealer
Legendary Creature -- Faerie

, : Gain control of target creature for as long as you control ~.  It gains "At the beginning of your upkeep, discard a card."

"Once I was young, and kind, and naïve.  Now I have seen the bitter truth of this world.  Come, let me show you."

2/3 

"Benevolent"?  Bah.

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

Rubinia, the Mischievious
Flash, flying
When ~ enters the battlefield, you may gain control of target opponent's planeswalker or legendary permanent for as long as you control ~. Any planeswalker obtained this way may use its abilities as though they are instants until end of turn.
"She will have you dancing like a drunken fool. Actually, she doesn't sound so bad now that I think about it." 
2/3

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Closin her down but won't get grades in until tomorrow sometime, I hope.
Hauntingly beautiful picture...

Bump for cool contest. I always love remaking bad legends.
My Commander decks! http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29942477/Endrek_Sahr,_Master_of_Disaster http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29942329/*Rumbling_Stomach_Noises*_Guildpact_Borborygmos_Deck
You don't need to consider this, but I came up with something, and this was the appropriate place to post it.

Rubina Leafwhisper
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player chooses a creature he or she controls. Gain control of it until that player's next turn.
Her embrace is like the sunrise, warm and inevitable.
2/5

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Little late on the grades; life stuff. I'll include Mown's entry if there are no objections.
Little late on the grades; life stuff. I'll include Mown's entry if there are no objections.

No objections unless Mown wins :P

No objections unless Mown wins :P

No objections unless Mown beats you in grading preview contest.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
No objections unless Mown beats you in grading preview contest.

Whoa, I completely forgot about that.  Time for some necromancy...

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

I really hope this contest gets graded.

One last bump in the hopes of grading
Sign In to post comments