Reanimator Rush

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Edited: Have you thought of using 2 or 3 Evolving Wilds to fetch your plains instead of Dawntreader Elk? It would free up some space for other stuff (like Rancor). Wilds also gives you more access to all three of Deathrite Shaman's abilities (that's why Modern decks like him: fetchlands), and thus a little more reach with your mana. Alternatively, Avacyn's Pilgrim might be good and ditch the plains all together.
"Dare to fight, defy difficulties and advance wave upon wave... Monsters of all kinds shall be destroyed." - Mao Zedong
Edited: Have you thought of using 2 or 3 Evolving Wilds to fetch your plains instead of Dawntreader Elk? It would free up some space for other stuff (like Rancor). Wilds also gives you more access to all three of Deathrite Shaman's abilities (that's why Modern decks like him: fetchlands), and thus a little more reach with your mana. Alternatively, Avacyn's Pilgrim might be good and ditch the plains all together.

Thanks for the suggestions--you always seem to have some good insight. Updated to reflect your advice.
Including the massive bloodrush guy is pretty cute, but I don't think it warrents 4-of. Your goal isn't to draw your guys, its to get them for cheap, and while you can theoretically bloodrush him onto one of your elves, that's a HUGE commitment for a turn and there is a chance that you just get blown out.

I also don't like increasing ambition. If you are using it just to tutor for Skaarg, I'd pass on it. You already have 8 "draw" spells, I'd leave it at that. Even with mana dorks, a 5 mana sorcery to find a big guy is going to need a LOT of mana in a single turn. At that point, may as well run Jarad's Orders. 1 mana less, finds you a bloodrush dude and a reanimation target all in one card.

Including the massive bloodrush guy is pretty cute, but I don't think it warrents 4-of. Your goal isn't to draw your guys, its to get them for cheap, and while you can theoretically bloodrush him onto one of your elves, that's a HUGE commitment for a turn and there is a chance that you just get blown out.

I also don't like increasing ambition. If you are using it just to tutor for Skaarg, I'd pass on it. You already have 8 "draw" spells, I'd leave it at that. Even with mana dorks, a 5 mana sorcery to find a big guy is going to need a LOT of mana in a single turn. At that point, may as well run Jarad's Orders. 1 mana less, finds you a bloodrush dude and a reanimation target all in one card.

He's not there for the Bloodrush, actually, but rather for the Rites. You get him in the GY via Mulch, Grisly, or Lotleth, then you bring him back on T4 or T5 via Rites. And then you cast the Rites again from your GY and bring in that Griselbrand you also discarded.

The Ambition is also there in case you don't get a Rites. 

He's not there for the Bloodrush, actually, but rather for the Rites. You get him in the GY via Mulch, Grisly, or Lotleth, then you bring him back on T4 or T5 via Rites. And then you cast the Rites again from your GY and bring in that Griselbrand you also discarded.

The Ambition is also there in case you don't get a Rites. 

I'd probably drop the Goliath down to a 3x anyway. You want to mill him to the yard, not draw one turn 1.

"Dare to fight, defy difficulties and advance wave upon wave... Monsters of all kinds shall be destroyed." - Mao Zedong
I actually do want him on turn 1, and if I can get 2 of him into the graveyard by turn 5, it's game over. The reason is that on T1, I can discard him for Lotleth, and on T4, I can cast Rites from my hand to bring him into play. Then on T5, I can recast Rites from my graveyard and bring the second one in.
ok so this is just my 2 cents here we, i would not count out white just yet i myself really like the junk colors i feel like white really gives you some big options for the deck. One of the things i notice is that it seems like your deck outside of your troll has to hit your unburial rites or things can go south which yes i know duh its reanimator thats the point. Personally i like to have a plan B in case for what ever reason they can counter or get rid of all my rites or the mtg gods hate me and you just cant find it in time. so you need to be able to control and stall your oppnent till you can get what you need and plan b of ramping mana to hard cast your things in worse case. An with white it can give you Oblivion Ring which is a great sideboard card and has saved me many times. Also you got Lingering Souls which is a good chump block and even if you can get a full run with a souls get yourself the 4 tokens on the feild then drop cratorhoof now they all 5/5 flying trample plus cratorhoof thats game if it lands.
      Then you got Angel of Serenity which can possibly clear the board for your souls to hit and can provide gave hate against mirror or aggro zombies or even again worse case chain it to a reanimate target and keep swinging with it and if they kill it your just getting a new hug creature. What i been play testing and i like the idea but like all cards it hits and miss Seance and stuff with populate Growing Ranks or Trostani, Selesnya's Voice so now seance is another way to reanimate your stuff and then with populate you can potentially get a griselbrand every turn and even tho u sack it after your next turn you still can swing and get your life or populate cratorhoof and then you can swing 2 times before it goes.  Now as far as your goliath i see your idea of using it and yea if you can get it early game it can shine but remeber every great card is one kill/exile card away from changing the game against you. I personally would not run that many if any at all when you play reanimator you want things that when it comes it in will greatly change the game and board state in your favor. Anyway good luck with it gald to see more people keeping this deck going
Sign In to post comments